Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its not a self build if I pay someone else to make all my mistakes for me though.

That definitely would still count as a self-build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Have you tried telling them that people online pay :10bux: each to read your posts

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I bought a bunch of softwood from a local sawmill to build a big garden deck (L-shaped, ironically). Every single piece was hilariously different in some dimension and required some degree of sawing or planing. Made me realise how much of domestic construction is just an exercise in "eh fuckit, close enough". Also, that I don't want to work construction. These soft hands were made for shitposting

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I keep telling myself this at every level of house but eventually... The house has to be visible

Camouflage paint

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hadlock posted:

"local man dies of broken spine: apparently the man was leaning against the wall when suddenly a chain reaction of every stud twisting loose caused a shockwave that ran down the drywall causing his spinal cord and spleen to burst from the shockwave"

"It was just too fast to get out of the way. The whole house was wound up like the tightest steel spring. There was a creak, a pop, and half a second later it was over and all the drywall was crooked. You could feel the shockwave move through the air and through you"

"It was like living in the most resonant, tightest wound drum" one family member was overheard commenting

News and weather at 7

That's clearly just a cover story for local man dies sucking he own dick

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaded Burnout posted:

blew his own back wall out

Buried in an L-shaped coffin

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No its one of my issues with the lightweight block. It defo wouldn't have happened cos the mario bricks at the other end didn't blow over.

Aren't the lightweight blocks much better insulators tho? Aircrete or something?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

My suggestion is to build houses from wood.

We already do that with treehouses. Also sheds are a kind of house for your paintcans?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Should probably have paid more attention to the blocks that were used in my extension. Ah well, who cares house warm

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaded Burnout posted:

One disadvantage of the dense concrete block is they really are tough as hell. I had to get a proper SDS drill and was grinding through carbide bits just drilling holes for screws.

When they cut the core out for the boiler flume it took a full hour to get through both leaves.

Yeah my house is 1940s shuttered poured concrete, and the extension is Aircrete blocks (at least on the inside). Drilling holes in the extension is a piece of piss, but in the old house it needs the Big Drill, a few bits, water to cool off the red-hot bits, and creates a loving poo poo ton of dust

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Salisbury Snape posted:

Shuttered poured concrete makes me think you live in an underground bomb shelter

For some reason this made economic sense in Ireland while everyone else was off fighting WW2. Or maybe the council planners were thinking about bomb-resistance. It's certainly very Wifi-signal-resistant

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I kind of suck and it would be much better, although slower for me to use these screws than hamfistedly mash everything up with a hammer and nails.

Why would you use a hammer when nailguns exist

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sounds like retaliation for the village green you destroyed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Salisbury Snape posted:

You know those road plates I suggested? You could dig a pit in the drive and fill it with vipers, drag road plates across it while you are there, cover with inconspicuous branches and leaves when you are not

Reminder that both NJAN99 and his brother have already been hospitalized from falling into ditches on his work-safe site.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Best of luck with the COVID. I lament that this isn't an episode of Grand Designs where we can have Kevin whatshisface slagging you off and making weird metaphors throughout, but at least you're providing the necessary amount of tragic mishaps and schadenfreude :munch:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
While you were studying the spelling of words, NJAN99 was busy devising a method to drill into the Earth's crust to pour a foundation that will survive tectonic shifts across the epochs.

Future civilisations will assume this bungalow was a place of honour, or that some highly esteemed deed is commemorated there

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gasmask posted:

my fuckin 1 year old saw off the longest reigning monarch, bitch

Tell him I said cheers for that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That graceful L-shape, the tasteful brickwork...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CancerCakes posted:

Was doing some work on our central heating, which made think of your system plan.

What happens if all the water in the store is at 60 but the back boiler is on? Does the back boiler have its own safety valve?

Also, speaking from experience, if you vent very very hot water into the header tank the boiling hot stream will melt a hole in the header tank and release the water in to your house, and the cold feed will piss out indefinitely until you turn it off because it is trying to refill the holed header tank, leaving you with a massive mess leading to replacing all ceilings and floors in the path.

Yeah this is the strong argument for having the best safety valve you can get on your hot water tank, and not leaving the immersion switch on all the time

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Either you are the unluckiest schlimazel in the world, or you have extremely poor judgement when it comes to choosing who you do business with

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I don't know why I'm looking at your tiling job at 1:40 AM (because I've lost control of my life), but that looks really nice

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The board was good for the whole drive there and back and only snapped a mile or something from home. And yeah if some arsehole wants to come steaming up behind me and sit an inch of my back bumper because I'm only over taking a truck at 70 then yeah lmao at them collecting a bit of OSB board.

This is some Ronnie Pickering posting

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wee ones aren't that threatening

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Reminds me of when of our builders poured concrete into and partially blocked our sewer, so that a 10-metre long bratwurst of turd accumulated from the sewer back up to the toilet over a few months, and eventually started coming out of the toilet, sink, and shower drain.

When our plumber finally released that beast by going in face first and drilling out the concrete, it was a devastating thing to behold

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheMightyHandful posted:

Towards an L shape architecture: we talk about poo ITT

User:post combo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That Mario wall looks well nice now that it's a real wall

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just taking a chance that your first time ever welding copper pipe will be good enough for your entire underfloor. Goonspeed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BonoMan posted:

I love these home inspection accounts on insta/TikTok

If it's not the ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING lad then I don't click

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Meaty Ore posted:

I've heard of houses on stilts, but Stilton houses?

Honest, this is probably the best thread on this sub-forum. It really makes me appreciate everything that goes into constructing even a relatively simple structure.

Same, I never realised how much hospitalisation, theft, property damage and dangerous motorway driving was involved in a new build. Would love to know the final estimates of cost savings divided by hours of labour for the full Grand Designs schadenfreude experience.

That being said, it's impressive.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Potemkin rear end housing. I read that a bunch of banks won't even offer mortgages on them now.

Big if true (doesn't seem true though)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I have aircrete blocks in my extension and if I want to make a hole I have to use the Big Drill and the SDS bits. That seems pretty normal. I guess there are poo poo versions of those blocks out there made out of marzipan or whatever, that's probably not good.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

aniviron posted:

I'm generally pretty dulled to anything I read online but the guy just ramming the wheelbarrow over the floor heating pipes raised my dander a bit. (why is it this, of all things?) I guess because I see people being lazy and lovely regularly and it bugs me there too. But it's like god drat, come on, there was obviously a lot of work put into making those even to spread heat properly and ensure that nothing would leak etc.

Same tbh. I think it's cause most people have dealt with ignorant tradies throwing their weight around at some point

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
99, your Mr. Bean-style commitment to thrifty solutions that end up costing more money is incredible. What's the current valuation of your labour costs on a per-hour basis?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Salisbury Snape posted:

I'm hedging my bet on architect

Not a chance

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:aaaaa:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hadlock posted:

In the UK because you drive on the other side of the road, does that mean the drive thru runs clockwise around the building? Because it looks like you're setup for cars to wrap counter clockwise around the building like they do in the states :confused:

Correct.

I think this means NJAN99 will have to demolish and start again with a lower-case r-shaped architecture

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If I was building a house I would simply purchase the correct number of bricks

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“A vast and L-shaped house of stone
Stands in the village... Near it, on the sand,
Not sunk, a great foundation lies, whose floor,
And heating track, and aerate bricks out fanned,
Tell that its builder well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The thread that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is not just a number, ninety nine;
Look on my house, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The surprisingly level foundations stretch far away.”

:five: and goldmine

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
We all thrive on human misery. And NJAN99 excels at taking the miserable process of self-building and innovating new ways to up the misery quotient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hmm didn't realise horizontal chases were different depths, makes sense tho. Reckon my electrician just did whatever the gently caress he felt like, can't imagine he was that arsed with the regs