Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
When it comes to the drain do not make it a complete oval office to clean. That is my only real advice on anything really is that anything which has a high operational work cost is an absolute bastard you will regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Might as well get something Draytek or Ubiquiti at this point for it. In wall access points and then mesh the together. Guest, Regular and a 2.4 for those super special IOT things which cry if it switches frequencies: Looking at you Ubiquiti doorbell.

Oh, and make sure you put in a doorbell transformer into the consumer unit. You can put it on the downstairs lightning ring if you like to embrace your inner cheap new build developer, but something that will accept a decent doorbell or change would be good in the future, tuck some cat 6 there too

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

By mesh I mean it needs a dedicated Ethernet Backhaus but same SSIDs on them, other than the one closest to that aforementioned lovely doorbell.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Messadiah posted:

Possibly so people can't just rip your doorbell off and plug into your network?

Not thought of that, but still it is a pain. It is pretty easy for me to do because for some reason my developer when they put in the standard doorbell they used Cat 6 cabling and then had three wires for live and three neutral.

There is a POE adaptor for the new one.

As for access point stuff, no point, just in the year 2023 I have seen some poo poo network stuff put in

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I do wonder if someone could shitpost as me via my car charger.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I’d call the council about that myself.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Go full BIM 2 and get Revit

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

goatface posted:

Little plastic stool in a dull tiled wetroom, no real shower just a hose with a spray head.

It's a mood.

A very Buffalo Bill mood

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I can only imagine that someone brought that round for a BBQ one day and they left it there. I have only had bud light once but never again.

Interesting story about poo poo lager, I was going for a bit of a long walk and eventually got to a pub that only did fosters but it was cold and fancied a cold pint.

A poo poo lager on a hot as gently caress day when you are thirsty does hit the spot, I don’t know if it is because it is pretty much water or not but since then always done this.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Looks like an ostentatious cross between a prison bathroom and The Red Room.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

You mention a sensor or something going through the door. You going full access control type stuff? If you have made that hole that might be a bit of a warranty issue.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Considering the footprint of this L shaped monstrosity I am surprised you have not got in roof solar / solar heating / battery.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

He’ll probably tip off George Clarke

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Why in the gently caress do you need a programmable shower? For the record, as there is a remote possibility, I am not looking to kink shame.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

devicenull posted:

If you move the plants from the plant room into the shower, you can water them when you're on vacation!

Sold.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

EasilyConfused posted:

Is there some sort of complicated series of tubes that lets you dump water on your guests yourself anywhere in the house?
I knew it, he is recreating Noel’s House Party and this is the gunger

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The neighbours on the corner love me. Wally is in a bit of a state, been waiting for a new hip for like 18 months now. The electrician the quote I showed you earlier is from a lad they recommended. She took him to the circus when he was a nipper. The main problem I have is to keep a straight face when she tells me the story again for the 95th time.

Don't really interact with t'other neighbours much. which probably means they hate me.

heres the as mentioned electrician quote

So plan is to do all the other work myself for less and then just ask him for the 90quid sign off

I can’t see an SPD there, though going by the length of time this has gone on it isn’t surprising it hasn’t been put in there as the regulations only came in September last year.

I still think you are building a gunge tank

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Make sure before you put plasterboard up you put a QR code that links to this thread hidden somewhere.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I have one by that brand, it isn’t as ostentatious however. Just plain old chrome.

I didn’t choose it though but does a good job of giving me a shower

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Live in a new build myself, everything goes up through vents that are in a vented tile in the roof which all the various extractor fans are connected to.

Have two internal waste pipes.

Still annoying as I would prefer underfloor heating over radiators and at some point will look into some form of cooling here as we still put in heat reclaiming combi boilers.

No idea on the passive house stuff but this is meant to be pretty airtight and would be EPC A if it wasn’t for the fact that the solar panels are limited because for some reason they only have four compared to the 6 those that face away from the road (even if facing the same direction)

Anyway, so far it’s looking like it will be quite nice when L house is done

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Make a DOOM WAD for your L

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Yeah I was looking into a home that was built using modular parts, they never really got back to me so didn’t really consider it.

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/insight/insight/we-take-a-look-around-lgs-housing-factory-60136

The UK has a large amount of prefabricated housing that came in after WW2

https://nonstandardhouse.com/cornish-unit-type-1-precast-reinforced-concrete-house/

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Jaded Burnout posted:

I stayed at my school into 6th form for my A-levels and it was like this for sure, but a friend of mine left and went to a dedicated technical college to do a BTEC for those years instead, and it was much more like a community college than just more school.

The general ambience of a college is a lot different than it is for sixth form as well. Colleges obviously do not have a bunch of secondary school age people walking around. Also back in my day colleges were not affected by section 28 so that was different too.

You might also go further afar and accommodation isn’t really a thing either

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Arrath posted:

I really badly want, 30 years from now, a thread where a new owner starts getting into the guts of the L and just slowly loses their drat minds for our entertainment.

"So today I got into the ceiling crawlspace and got wrapped up in miles of copper. I was stuck up there for 18 hours, I think I'm lucky to be alive. I traced what I believe to be a lighting circuit to...an ice cream tub."

Most people might get a little box full of bits of papers with warranty of cooker, lights fans etc. Whoever buys this needs to get a hard book binded print-out of this thread

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Problem is ratty (this is not for 99) that Wi-Fi is useful for phones and getting 5 bar coverage in every toilet is very important. The IoT poo poo he is doing is dumb though. For 99 What router you going with bro

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

devicenull posted:

So I'm gonna need an access point in the bathroom so I can use my phone on the shitter?

You don’t need it in the bathroom just near it. Wi-Fi can go down quite well so ceiling mounted stuff is pretty decent. I have one that is equidistant between the en-suite and main bathroom and below it down a floor is the WC. Gets full bars or rather -51 dbc looking at it.

If it wasn’t for my doorbell needing Wi-Fi I would get away with two in this house unfortunately because it’s a new build it needs an access point pretty close. At some point I will upgrade it to a PoE Ubiquiti one.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I am pretty sure the network cables can become structural once the concrete fails.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

That could make a decent bowling alley

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

That is one sexy consumer unit, but you have three phase so guessing it would be like that

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

It is looking a bit more like a house than a building site now. What’s the plan around that longer hallway for decoration?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Yeah light colours, maybe some mirrors, funky LED sounds cool

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

You having to separate the drainage water and sewer water I am guessing then?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

You able to shift to a less poo poo supplier?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I am okay with Octopus, Eon was poo poo

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

quote:

Startup mindset

Salesforce
lol

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

It’s the classic legacy systems so crap need to start again and use this newfangled agile framework, but we have to use something like SAFe because governance, oh and buy over build, but can’t be any of that open source stuff we need SaaS for better service management.

And thus Ouroboros continues on its quest.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But if I'm a new customer they can just put me on classic billing from the start, then I can have a 3 phase smart meter.

It sounds like they have the answer in putting you in the classic system manually and closing your old account but sounds like it is too much of a bitch to do it.

Not going to post more IT stuff, I just miss that stuff as my current place has been a nice little book of calm

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Hu6J3pEwQ

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I’m in a new build (square shape not L shaped) and after about 4 months it stopped the random creaking of stuff. No major cracks, nothing some flexible sealant and paint couldn’t solve.