Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you guys aint seen nothing yet
I remember the weird corner one of the builders tried to get away with from UK Chat and can't wait for that to come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

like the facial/gait recognition for unlocking the front door.
You want a top of the line model that can notice subtle changes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

perhaps putting the date this happened at the top of the post might help

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Right now? It's hot.

In general? Centuries of telling ourselves we're amazing despite reality not lining up with that at all for 90% of us.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Local word of mouth is a lot easier when you already live there and your neighbours can tell you what a good job Gary Fences did on their fences, but when you're self-building you're probably not in the area yet and it's not a very common project.
You also have to take certain recommendations with a pinch of salt. We've stopped listening to our father in law after it transpired that his idea of 'good' means 'will bodge something that completely ignores the law, but cheap as long as you physically threaten them every time they try to raise the price.'

The most eye watering recommendation was from my gran in law who recommended a roofer with the caveat that I probably shouldn't leave any money out, any alcohol in the fridge, or leave my wife alone in the house with him. Thanks gran.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

To be fair it also sounds like 99 has sought out the cheapest builders he could find and gotten exactly what he paid for.

There are good builders in the UK, but they either get snapped up by companies or end up so busy they're impossible to get hold of. Leaving the average home builder the choice of arrogant Dave, absent Dave, bodge-job Dave or incompetent Dave.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

When whatevil said there's a button to make them slide out to the middle like that, is it possible that your model can be configured to not do that? Like say by attaching something to that empty screw fitting on the right there.

Also seconding the loose screw head sticking out of the frame, what the gently caress is up with that?

E: Is this going to be another 'these guys were cheapest' thing because I'd think you'd have learned that lesson by now.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 9, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

It would go perfectly with your windows, but it's going to need a door frame that gets installed into a couple of 100 meter bore holes on either side of it with a 40 footer in the middle for the hinge.
Also several screws sticking out of the frame to catch your feet on.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Here's a swedish made pump for you that I have had saved on my phone for ages and have had no legit use for until now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Not a technical question but was it weird to be standing here:

And kind of feel, 'poo poo, this is starting to look like a house' or how did it feel the first time you had that feeling?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like oh poo poo when I shreked the gently caress out of it all.
If you were running round nude and green that might be why your neighbours were mad.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Variety in life is important, such as waking up in the morning and wondering if your house or your car will burst into flames with you trapped inside.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

As bobby points out I already have the things blowing up angle covered so this is undesirable.
Park the tesla in the plant room, boom, problem solved. Literally.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The good news is if it leaks through the foundations, nothing short of a nike nuke is going to cause structural damage.

E: trainers, my one weakness.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

this is what we call 'foreshadowing'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Honestly it's his own fault for refusing to get on that plane, death was going to catch up with him eventually.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Nothing broke.
booo

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

'Had to spend an astronomical amount on special foundations because of boundary trees which then died' about sums up the thread.

Honestly I would have rolled over and died long before this point, you have the tenacity of a loving honey badger to still be going.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

This thread always reminds me how you occasionally hear people in the UK poke fun at US home construction being wood frame "because we make ours out of stone!"
If it's any consolation, new builds seem to be built out of wood frame and plasterboard with occasional brick fascias to trick people into thinking they're actual houses. When I was looking to buy, you'd knock on the adjoining walls between properties and it was like knocking on an internal, hollow wall.

Potemkin rear end housing. I read that a bunch of banks won't even offer mortgages on them now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think we're going to need to see a spare block being punched through, martial arts style.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Big if true (doesn't seem true though)
It was something I heard ages ago, might have related to one particular estate. I was saying in the UKMT about how a new build estate near us had these brick fascias lying around.

The conversation got onto new builds and someone mentioned that some new builds are hard to get mortages on. I think I interpreted this as them being so poo poo they're hard to get mortgages on, but a brief google reveals that it's because they lose value really, really quickly, and also something about 10 year warranties?

But yeah, new builds not good.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 15, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There's something very satisfying looking at underfloor heating. Less so when there's cold spots because you missed a bit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sorry I realise I used rhetorical you, something which I do a lot.

Your floor seems fine, the heated floor in our kitchen has cold spots where the people we bought from didn't do it properly. Also it doesn't run all the way up to the oven, so when i'm standing cooking it feels like standing on a normal stone floor, i.e. loving freezing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What happens if one of them leaks, do you just rip the floor up?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

dangit bobby,

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I am beginning to think that other people are a bad idea.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There are no winners when you argue with me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'd worry less about if it goes clockwise or counterclockwise, and more about if the self drive can work out that the bifolds aren't a garage.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bricks for sale, never used

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“A vast and L-shaped house of stone
Stands in the village... Near it, on the sand,
Not sunk, a great foundation lies, whose floor,
And heating track, and aerate bricks out fanned,
Tell that its builder well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The thread that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is not just a number, ninety nine;
Look on my house, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The surprisingly level foundations stretch far away.”

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I can't adequately explain why but the idea of planning where the wires go and cutting the runs and conduits is satisfying as gently caress.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's ok, he can put up a load-bearing poster to support the blocks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've always preferred the safety system wherein you change society so it has less poverty and smaller income disparity, thereby reducing my chances of burglary.
How dare you try and make things better *writes columns at you*

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's probably an autoreplace macro, like like when you set your phone to replace '99crs' with "that was a curious decision 99, I can't say that's the typical way of doing it but I can't deny it's an interesting way of approaching the problem."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Depending which neighbours it is (assuming the fence mover), menage-a-twat might be more apt.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah fine, box ripped to shreds, thats how things should turn up.
I'm going to need to see more dog, thanks.

(as to my other point I zoomed in, realised you hadn't cut the beams, and deleted the question)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol I probably did cut the beams.
Ah. My original question was "Is that wise, given how we've established that the aerated blocks have a structural load bearing capacity lower than Captain Tom?"

Seeing all this stuff go together is very satisfying. I feel like if my hands weren't absolutely hosed and I had no money, it'd be really cool to attempt something like this.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Slugworth posted:

But not as hosed as the American healthcare system.

*Tosses lit match over his shoulder as he walks out of thread*
look, circumcision is just healthier ok

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I imagine that when this house is eventually sold; surveyors, architects and builders alike will travel from miles around to see it and quietly, reverently whisper "what the fuuuck"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

I keep expecting to open thread and 99 is now milling his own blocks
Please don't give him ideas.

"It's concrete, how hard could it be to pour into a couple molds?"

Always Sunny theme plays. Again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

DO NOT give blades to the tesla.