Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've just today been pointed to this thread. Man, you got hosed over by that structural engineer / piling company mislead at the beginning. RIP your budget :( That poo poo wasn't just belt & braces, it's belt & braces & harness & backup crew.

I would offer to come up and help but presumably you want the project to go faster rather than slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well there's no stairs involved in my project so it does absolutely put it in your wheelhouse...

I hugely covet your van though lol

same back at you though. ever want one too many chefs, I am here for you.

:mcnally:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

where u live?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

bath more like get hosed

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It’s as much that time taken to get anywhere here is wildly inconsistent depending on your start and end point. Most of the roads are concentric and/or spoked around major cities, with only a couple of high speed roads north/south and east/west.

So often you have to drive towards a city and then across to a city near your destination, then away from it. Any direct route will usually be 40 to 60 mph with one lane in each direction.

So I reckon it’d take me 3 hours to get to Gasmask and only a bit less to get to 99.

And that’s like 120 miles as the crow flies.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Given this is retrospective I’m guessing you already figured out you need to be more assertive with these guys.

Builders are especially susceptible to the viewpoint that any outside guidance is a sign of weakness. It’s “I won’t ask for directions” but with your 200k house.

When the shower controls were going in at mine, I triple checked with the builder that he understood which of the controls went to shower vs bath, stood with the panel in hand and pointed, he looked at me that I was being ridiculous.

Then he installed them backwards. Permanently.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 11, 2022

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

CancerCakes posted:

Going through this right now, almost ended up with a room with 2m ceiling height...

My biggest regret with my house is the downstairs ceiling height. To be fair that one's on the lovely architect not the lovely builder, but I was too new to it to spot it until the ceiling was in overhead. Not quite 2m but if I can touch the ceiling it's too low.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah I dunno how things are going to go with the builder. He has very little time for me and I kind of want to loving kill him. Basically I just start sneaking in every night (to my own site) and changing all the bits I think are wrong

I'm going to give you the same advice I got near the start of my thread but ignored; fire him now before he makes things worse.

Easier to say than do, just as it was for me then, but I'm just seeing echoes of the same poo poo I went through for half a year.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BonoMan posted:

You do realize he is not posting realtime?

I do realise but also he's switching from past tense to present tense and I thought the builder was still around (and/or this was closer to "now").

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

hmmm, yes. But theres plausible deniability on how long this is all taking if I don't.

:hmmyes:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Why does everyone seem so aggro in the UK?

I don't think it's a phenomenon unique to the UK, but we're all shoulder to shoulder with an ever growing population and not much space to expand. I feel like in the city you're forced to be a little more accommodating and in the true country you've got a bit more space, but in the suburbs (or exurban sprawl) you're trying to build an isolated stasis bubble using nothing but a two-foot air gap and a run of 7-foot fence.

It's the exact same dynamic you get with siblings except "mum" is the council and "dad" is the police.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 20, 2022

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How the gently caress does it get that far

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Docjowles posted:

The fact that this guy got slapped down, and almost went to jail, tells me there are some wild differences between how things work in the UK vs the US. In the US, this shitter just high fives his golf buddy on the council and you are the one getting rolled despite doing literally nothing wrong.

Yeah that's why I was so surprised it got that far until it was revealed he kept loving with a listed building. They don't mess around with that stuff and the laws on it have teeth.

Most listed buildings, even at the lowest level, are at least 200 years old, often north of 300 years old and still in close to their original condition. There's a bunch of places still in use that are pushing a thousand years old.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

goatface posted:

You don't buy them for the structural integrity.

Or the homeowner's integrity, apparently.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oop

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ok lets try this again, this time with an extra strap on

Mods?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I agree 100% that a good project manager would be a godsend for a first-timer, but how do you, the naive consumer, choose a good one? You're putting your eggs in one basket somewhat. I went with a well-regarded architect and used their recommended builder, and he turned out to be poo poo.

Local word of mouth is a lot easier when you already live there and your neighbours can tell you what a good job Gary Fences did on their fences, but when you're self-building you're probably not in the area yet and it's not a very common project.

It's a bit of a catch 22, right? You don't know what to look for even in testimonials and previous customers' builds until you've got some experience of your own.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It’s a wonderful tale.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just looking at this gave me unloading anxiety. Well done on hoovering it all up, rip to your arms.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That seems to be whats happening now, we are post covid and all building is ramping back up. Pathetic only one house builders like me are capitalistic chaff.

I got lucky with my joist manufacturer, they used my job as filler when their big real customers all got delayed when the UK ran out of bricks(!).

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I need better forks on the digger to unload this. Some straps and leftovers later:

I thought those were going to be used as extra long forks for a minute.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol now that full of himself and my socks lad has to get out...

Man, delivery guys. They're either the nicest in the world or they're talking your ear off about how their giant outbuilding totally skirts building regs because it's "technically a portable building" because you can "technically remove it with a big enough crane" (true story).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Those ratings only reference the strength of the timber, not the straightness, unfortunately. Probably going to move about a bunch during and after shipping anyway. It's why I tend to opt for concrete screws to force the issue somewhat.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Screws for going into concrete.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

I bought a bunch of softwood from a local sawmill to build a big garden deck (L-shaped, ironically). Every single piece was hilariously different in some dimension and required some degree of sawing or planing. Made me realise how much of domestic construction is just an exercise in "eh fuckit, close enough". Also, that I don't want to work construction. These soft hands were made for shitposting

To be fair, most construction timber is never intended to be seen and only has to be good enough that the surface layers can take up the difference.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I keep telling myself this at every level of house but eventually... The house has to be visible

To be fair your house is particularly iceberg-like.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Looking forward to bemused local news stories with spontaneously exploding walls

(The closest I had to that was steel toe capped boots)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's clearly just a cover story for local man dies sucking he own dick

blew his own back wall out

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Buried in an L-shaped coffin

:hmmyes:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ah, I know this one. It's a wall.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Paint it and it'll be a fresco

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:neckbeard:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jeherrin posted:

There has never been a better username/post combo in the history of these dying forums, I am convinced of it

It's-a-wall! Mario!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So I've got this scaffolding arrayed outside the building and similar inside. We drive the digger up with a few trusses on the forks. Then my brother and I walk them sideways off the forks, across the scaffolding and into position. Fix with some temporary bits of wood and shuffle down one and repeat. I'm sure this isn't the way to do it but lol I dunno its the best way we've got to do it.

Maybe they'd crane or forklift a bunch on at one of the ends and then walk them down either side? Or just crane them into place one by one.

Nevermind about those purlins then. Do you think it'd still have happened if you were using dense block instead of that lightweight stuff?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No its one of my issues with the lightweight block. It defo wouldn't have happened cos the mario bricks at the other end didn't blow over.

:(

The existing 90s extension in my place is made from it, two storeys tall. You can practically push a screwdriver into it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

One disadvantage of the dense concrete block is they really are tough as hell. I had to get a proper SDS drill and was grinding through carbide bits just drilling holes for screws.

When they cut the core out for the boiler flume it took a full hour to get through both leaves.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

although I guess defo don't buy from them lol if I'm their best example

"So easy even this prick can install them!"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So what actually fell over, I can't tell?

The top of the block wall opposite the mario wall fell off. You can see it in the drone photo.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Also, don't concrete block walls get some kind of reinforcing rod grouted in vertically?

Depends on where in the structure it is, but not as a matter of course (lol). Once it's all together they're not required to freestand like that against the wind.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah a palm nailer is I think what I wanted but I don't think exists here? Discovered it after

This also happened with me after I got done hand-nailing in the brackets for my roof joists.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i guess i suck at buying stuff. I hope an actual uk person who is more of a pro comes in and tells me why I haven't in fact just done that?

Sorry bud, I think it's the right tool for the job, just not one that lives in our national consciousness. I did think about it when doing mine but a) due to being uncommon I also thought they weren't sold here, instead there's just not many options, and b) I thought they were more like a normal nail gun but for confined spaces, instead of what they are which is a sort of impact driver for regular nails. I'll probably try one myself if another big hand nailing job appears.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

because I guess you could use that to nail down clay tiles too?

Foreshadowing a lot of hard work?

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 8, 2022

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also if you ever need to tear it down in 50-80 years to replace it, gonna be glad for nails since those screws aren't coming out.

There's some slightly wacky screws I found recently which you nailgun in, but then can unscrew after, so a sort of best of both worlds? They didn't wind up being what I needed so I never used them in the end, maybe I'll try them for the deck.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

English oak is definitely easily available in different parts of the country, I tried wherever possible to buy "local-ish". Import might've been cheaper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Real-time alert!

Building site was broken into last night and my security camera wires clipped!

How rude!