Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

What was the big digger for if you were using groundworkers for the foundations? Secret L shaped tunnels?

Bookmarked and 5'd, more please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

When the hospital pictures came up I was really hoping it might be piles to go with your piles, but a bad ankle and infection seems less debilitating in the long run so that's good.

Children have literally no sympathy for the sick and infirm, bastards the lot of them.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

It must be nice to know that when you get bored of the bungalow you can just take it down and put a 15 story L shaped building on the same foundations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Are these posts on a time delay? Is it really that wet and gray in England in June? Seems awfully wet :crossarms: if it were not for the time stamp I'd assume this was taken in late November

Godspeed

Not OP, but the answer to both questions is: yes

It is currently raining
It has rained before
It will rain again

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

99 on painkillers muttering like Brad Pitt in 12 monkeys "you gotta crop the piles man, you gotta crop the piles"

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

It's crazy how your boggy trenches are starting to look like foundations, doesn't feel right somehow. Was this in the most recent winter or earlier?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Shingle is typically coastal stone, not crushed. I believe this means that it doesn't compact (so it protects whatever it is around)

MOT is a general term in the UK (also crusher run) for crushed stone that is compacted using a plate for patios etc

Also I love that you left the full length of the piles in the sketchup

CancerCakes fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 18, 2022

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I would love to have central vacuum, and a plant room in the middle is a great place to put it. Have you considered it? Vacuum pipes can go under the beam and block.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

That one was mental.

The other one that I remember distinctly was the single dad in London building 2 stories down under a historic building in a graveyard so he could have a house to spend time with his son in (by the time he finished his son was in college.)

That one had an awesome swimming pool.

The main advantages to central vac for me is never runs out of charge, vents outside so no need to wash or replace filters and don't need to empty every 10 minutes, but unfortunately I can't retrofit into this house. Be interested in why people end up not using them as we might do an architecture at some point and vac is on the list.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

In the UK if you have a room separate from your kitchen that has a washing machine in it that is called a utility room, even if there is lots of other things in there.

UK houses simply don't have the square footage of the US, especially new builds, so having a separate room for washing is a luxury for most. UK houses are loving garbage, unless bespoke built on 6 metre pilings of course.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Please call your house "Iceberg" tia

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Nice drains, bad tan

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I would love to meet a builder who has even bothered to read a summary of the regs. This is how we have always done it is not good enough when you are getting paid thousands of pounds to do a job.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Given this is retrospective I’m guessing you already figured out you need to be more assertive with these guys.

Builders are especially susceptible to the viewpoint that any outside guidance is a sign of weakness. It’s “I won’t ask for directions” but with your 200k house.

When the shower controls were going in at mine, I triple checked with the builder that he understood which of the controls went to shower vs bath, stood with the panel in hand and pointed, he looked at me that I was being ridiculous.

Then he installed them backwards. Permanently.

Going through this right now, almost ended up with a room with 2m ceiling height...

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

What were the paving slabs supposed to do?

Build looks worryingly according to plan, most concerning.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Grade 2 Listed buildings are a massive problem in the UK, because often they aren't actually of any interest or merit, but have been listed by a local nimby "amateur historian".

You can request any building be listed, so it is possible to own a house and then have someone else add it to the list. To get things taken off it goes all the way up to the secretary of state...

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Great job, nothing better than a bargain. This is where self build can pay off, because you can use materials that pros can't risk specifying or won't take the time to find.

We bought karndeen flooring box ends for 8 months and saved a fortune on our kitchen floor.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Aren't the lightweight blocks much better insulators tho? Aircrete or something?

In general multifunction products are a compromise on both fronts, thermalite is just not good to work with, weaker, and you still need additional insulation anyway. Just use decent insulation instead.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Getting robbed is poo poo, my condolences 99.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

. Towed the dead pickup up to the throttle point of the driveway so no way to get a vehicle onsite to load up. Towed with towing eye of tesla in reverse.

So if the pick up is dead how are you going to move it? Push it back into the site with the tesla?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Fwiw we didn't get a traffic door, and I'm glad we didn't.

Did you leave the frames in unglazed? Please tell me you at least put some surface protector over it. You are so not ready for those windows, it is stressing me out

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I love this thread.

99 please print a copy of this thread, laminate it, and put it under a floor or something, so when in a hundred years someone else is trying to work out what is going on with this house they can appreciate it in all its beauty.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Wait there is an exposed screw end just sticking out of all your windows? What the gently caress?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

oh my god those windows are top openers put in sideways

I can't even

I just can't

They probably rotated the specs by accident

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Love your heating plan! You could always get a bigger boy in to put an unvented cylinder for your hot water on it when the exchange plate can't keep up.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Was doing some work on our central heating, which made think of your system plan.

What happens if all the water in the store is at 60 but the back boiler is on? Does the back boiler have its own safety valve?

Also, speaking from experience, if you vent very very hot water into the header tank the boiling hot stream will melt a hole in the header tank and release the water in to your house, and the cold feed will piss out indefinitely until you turn it off because it is trying to refill the holed header tank, leaving you with a massive mess leading to replacing all ceilings and floors in the path.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

hello.

So lets just give up wondering if things are going badly and get on with working.

Don't have much to say but I reckon this is quite pretty

whilst a boring post, at least no one can photoshop osama bin laden all over it.

Good tiliing job!

If you run out of tiles let me know, I have a couple of hundred of those.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I loving love this thread

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Those trees looked like standard boring ones anyway, why the gently caress were they protected in the first place?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Starting to look worryingly like an actual house

Double ovens or range? Or aga (lol)?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

That is very cool

But soon it will be warm

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

That plant room floor is going to be hot enough to cook an egg.

Are you using in floor thermometers or room stats?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

If you hate dot and dab you can just batten the walls and then screw up the boards, but it is a lot more time consuming and there is the risk you drive a screw into your nice fresh conduit...

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Sounds like no house is ever really secure so having a gizmo that allows you to remote open the door for convenience isn't actually that much of a big deal. The average UK burglar won't be particularly electrically minded. You could replace the glass with laminate, but at that point they could just cut the frame I suppose.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But I will have moved to a better shpaed house by the time its an issue hopefully.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Posting Ls: a quick and easy housebuild

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Endjinneer posted:

You get a thing that looks like a bucket but with a calibrated fan in the end that measures volumetric airflow and hold it over each vent. Then I think you go from room to room swearing as you try to solve a ten dimensional problem to get the airflow rates in table 1.2 of approved document F. Then when you have it signed off you turn it down to 1/3 power because you don't like the noise. It still clears the bathroom fog in less than 5 minutes though.

Correct. You can use table 1.2 of approved document F and have 13l/s of continuous ventilation, rather than table 1 and have to provide 30l/s of intermittent ventilation.
It would be remiss to not also direct you to clause 1.8 though. Access for maintenance.

This kind of competence is not welcome here thank you very much.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

No an AI, but having a door in that wall turns that area in front of the units into a corridor, which could become an issue. Of course there is not much you can do about it now!

I used diykitchens as they have a pretty good designer that you can mess around in.

If you are feeling brave there are websites where you can buy really high quality bespoke kitchens that are being taken out of London mansions, or ex showroom.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

loving amateur hour running copper down to feed the bath tap, just have it come out the ceiling like magic, bonus points if it hits the bath

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Sounds like you didn't prime the block work properly. Are you using s1 flex rapid set adhesive? Not that you need much flex with the pilings...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

drat those service triangles look good, yum yum yum

Highly recommended that you prime any surface before using tile adhesive on it (actual primer not PVA). The primer is cheap as if you get it from a tiler supply shop. Hell I primed the backs of the backer boards as well and they stuck really well. Your backer boards may be only attached with dry wall screws to a low density block wall which might end badly...

Also I dot and dabbed the backer boards, but I was going onto uneven 100 year old brick work rather than flat block work.