Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I watched the first episode, knowing nothing about the premise, and already tearing up at the end there. I just get emotional if I see little kids characters in danger or in distressed in media in my old age here. This show is going to wreck me, I think.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

I have no idea who that counter-spy guy was in the first episode and why he'd leave them alone even if threatened?

But the show is good and I'm here for the people not the coldwar clancy nonsense.

Well, Lloyd threatened to expose his daughter's crimes and her life as well, no? Unless you're a complete monster, you'll back off. Also, that guy might come back later on anyway.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Not sure how much detail I should go into on something that hasn't happened yet but basically more like a kid whose single mom has hooked up with some random new guy.

I haven't read ahead but that makes sense to me. Yuri just got told out of nowhere that his sister got married for an entire year without telling him. Next episode could be all about him freaking out about Yor's whole arrangement.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
The second thing that she thinks is that someone has kidnapped Anya for marriage. Yor's mind goes into a dark, disturbing place. I also loves how it's clearly a man going woof, arf and borf. Just like in Startdust Crusaders, where it's a woman doing the same thing.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Just want to vent a little at the quality of subtitle that I've got for this anime. There's two ways that I know of to watch Spy X Family legally in my part of the world, Netflix and Disney Plus. And both of those sites, I think the quality of subtitling for this anime is not that great.

Like in this latest episode, when Anya was talking to Yuri about studying. In the Disney Plus version, she said, 'You like studying? Are you pervert?' while in other translations that I saw, she said, 'You like studying? What's wrong with you?' Which makes more sense.

There's other things like that, like the Netflix one translated Anya's "ootings" as "excursions", which I guess is similar but it removes the joke of Anya constantly mispronouncing words.

EDIT

Another example, when Yuri said, "Knowledge is Power", my version translated Anya's response as, 'Doggy-Doggy Power?' While other versions, translated it, "no leash is power?' Maybe that's not quite as literal but at least the other translation preserve Anya's running gag.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 7, 2022