Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Level 1 Thief posted:

She may be a telepath but she's also six and therefore dumb as rocks and makes decisions accordingly. The show's been doing a great job sitting on that line -- she thinks her superspy dad, of all people, would get rid of her if he finds out she can read minds.

Not even six. Probably four.

Also, imagine a small child revealing your most horrifying inner thoughts in front of your family. Not a surprise people would want to ditch her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder how accurate the designs are for East Germany/Former USSR/Eastern Bloc in terms of interior design, architecture, cars etc.

There's a lot of work put into getting an appropriate cold war vibe, at minimum. For example, the manga's volume covers all have famous chairs from the era.

For the author's previous serialized manga, he actually went to New York to get the details right. Of course, he had almost no money, so he and his editor had to stay in the same tiny hotel room, but making that effort in those conditions speaks to his commitment to getting things right.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Having to take care of an aggressively adorable kid and pretend to be a bishounen dude's wife will do that to you.

She's not pretending. She really is Loid's legal wife. It's just that the marriage was conducted for secret motives on both sides.

And Loid's handsome, not pretty. Kind of eliminates bishounen as an appropriate description.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Being legally married and being actually in love with your spouse are two different things. Also I thought bishounen was the general term for good looking anime dudes, which includes Loid because look at him, the man's handsome af.

It does mean she's not pretending to be his wife, though.

And bishounen means attractive in an androgynous way. Guys like Loid are just old fashioned handsome.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

The true enemy of the Daleks have arrived.

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen a chainsaw sword anywhere.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

STR supremacy, INT builds can go to hell

BIG BILL HELL'S!

BRING YOUR TRADE, BRING YOUR TITLE, BRING YOUR WIFE, THEN gently caress HER! THAT'S RIGHT LOID! gently caress YOUR WIFE!

BERLINT'S FILTHIEST AND EXCLUSIVE HOME OF THE MEANEST SONS OF BITCHES IN THE NATION OF OSTANIA, GUARANTEED!!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

Hello, my name is Brian Secretagent and I am but a humble psychiatrist.

Manga spoilers:Roland Spoofy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hogama posted:

An amusing thing about Loid is he could be straight out of a josei story, had this been set primarily from Yor's perspective - he's an attractive, mysterious guy who sweeps into a nearly 30-year old office worker's life and brings marriage, cooking skills, and a cute little daughter into the mix.

I saw someone else talking about this before, suggesting that Loid is basically the male lead in a josei story rewritten to be a suitable shonen lead. He's even emotionally distant in a way so you can tell he really cares deep down, if he could just open up to someone.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Everyone calling Yor "dumb" should get a sixer for that poo poo. :colbert:

She is sincere and genuine and earnest and perfect, and gently caress all of you!

Yor is sincere, and also as dumb as a box of hammers. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I appreciate Loid reading "Dang!" magazine, with an ad for Spy Wars on the back.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Dunno that this really deserves spoiler tags but you will be relieved to know that at this point you have seen the vast majority of Yuri's appearances in the manga so far.

He does have a standalone chapter showing what he's like at work, so I wouldn't say vast majority.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kvantum posted:

I think it's an ad for Dang! on the back of an unflipped issue of the Spy Wars manga.

Right, because it's a Japanese format despite it being set in a pseudo-European country with the title in English. I wasn't quite sure, and I felt that "Dang!" was a funnier name for a magazine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Also just passing off Anya's mind-reading as "kid's can be really observant". I really like that he can't help but develop a blind spot for both Yor and Anya's secrets because he genuinely cares about them.

I mean, in Anya's case that's just going Sherlock Holmes rather than Father Brown. Mind reading is impossible, kids being weirdly observant is possible (if sometimes unlikely) so Anya is just weirdly observant.

Yor is the impressive blindspot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair Anya is A) Six and B) Was living in an orphanage until like a month ago.

Six is the high end estimate. She's more likely four or five. Which further explains the grades.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

It's such a silly place for her mind to go to, since we all know it's far more likely that a tiny dog slit her throat with a knife.

Anya and Yor may not be related by blood, but when you see them imagining worst case scenarios, it's pretty obvious that they're family.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Heliotrope posted:

I wish we saw more of her assassin life - we just had the one mission when she was introduced and from then on it's been all about Loid's job as a spy.

The manga eventually has more, but it's probably not going to show up this season.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Until there's a briefing and they tell Loid "watch out for this "Thorn Princess", she's incredibly deadly. We don't have any intel about what she looks like but she does love goulash"

"What a coincidence. My wife loves goulash as well. I guess it's really popular these days. Maybe that's the secret to how both my wife and the Thorn Princess can kick cars hard enough to knock them off the road."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder if the series at one point in the author's mind had a much darker tone maybe not "originally intended" but played with, because between the slice of life and wholesomeness we get these glimpses into this completely tonally different show.

This is much lighter than the author's previous work. He's just showing bits of his usual under the surface.

(His editor recommended he lighten up. His editor is very good at his job.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Compendium posted:

It is kind of funny how this is about the same time in the manga where manga readers also have the same points and criticisms word for word

It's similar to how Chainsaw Man readers are being reminded by the anime onlies how they used to hate Kobeni.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Nightfall's disguise is directly referencing a character from Aim for the Ace! a show/manga from the 70s about tennis, of course. Here's some comparison shots:

Fun, well known fact: Aim for the Ace is one of the main inspirations for Gunbuster, Hideaki Anno's directorial debut.

Anno just added more giant robots.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

His first reaction to being told he requires a family cover story is to loudly wonder how he's going to make a child in a few days. His brain doesn't quite operate as normal.

It's easy to forget that, though, because he's surrounded by Yor, Anya, Yuri, and Nightfall, who all make his crazy spy brain look perfectly rational by comparison.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I mean, it's a good design and that manga didn't take off...so why not?

It was a one-shot, so not taking off means less than with a longer series. Even when one shots don't get fully remade, it's common for writers to grab something from them for later use.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I don't understand a word of Japanese and no one's made a translation yet, but Anya's faces are good this season and that's what really matters.

I understand several words of Japanese! It starts with Anya telling her father she wants to watch anime, and Lloyd says she can't. Then he tells her fine, and gives the channel.

Lloyd asks his wife on a date, which freaks her out.

At that point, the talking speeds up too much for me to follow. As I said. Several words. It's better than nothing!

(And I owe it all to the FLCL sequels.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Preechr posted:

Every woman Loid knows is some kind of busted, it’s just that Yor is busted more than most.

Nah. The woman he dated in episode 1 seemed pretty mundane. It's just that most women he's around now are insane.