Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

No Foxy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Wait, is the idea that Shanks and Coby interacted at some point before the split second when Shanks blocked Akainu's attack, or after? Because I'm not sure when they could have meaningfully interacted beyond that one moment.

Anyway, I do like the way the filler arc gets pre-Gum Gum Luffy's characterization right. He had some similar traits to his current self (wanting to go on adventures, mostly), but he was a self-serious macho brat back then. Having a flashback like this now, after the Nika reveal in the manga and I guess shortly before it in the anime, calls attention (perhaps unintentionally) to a rather disturbing ambiguity: how much of Luffy's change in attitude was due to Shanks' good example, and how much was the Devil Fruit affecting his personality?

Also, it just occurred to be that the Uta backstory explains why Luffy was so obsessed with recruiting a musician.

They were both just at mariejois

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Amante posted:

Interesting detail about all of Buggy's giants leaving at once. Seems like Elbaf setup, with presumably all the giants heading back to combat some threat to their homeland.

they all joined luffy's armada

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

honestly buggy does seem especially hardy, he never seemed that out of sorts in the heat and cold of impel down, and he basically walked off a direct hit from the bomb mihawk hit back at him. you can put some of that down to comedic license but still, basically the only thing hes good at is not dying.

"He's like the cucaracha, born survivor"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Plutonis posted:

https://twitter.com/EatingCerealNow/status/1561490226463518720?s=20&t=Wl7s-k7JMvSVJvUx73DXoA

this doesn't make much sense, brook was 38 when he died on the triangle and is 90 now, but perospero is 50...?

Big Mom was 18 when she had her first child too..

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

yeah, and she's 68 now. brook was lost at sea *52* years ago, not 50. shed have to be 70 and persopero would have to be 52 for this to work. i think oda forgot the timeskip happened.

I'm just saying I'd rather not Brook being in his 30s hooking up with a 17 year old

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

Yeah that's who I meant, I just have the vague memory of him sacrificing himself and then never being mentioned again but looks like I missed that cover

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

I just realized we still haven't gotten the Jinbe toast

Ya wheres our big rear end celebration and party for Jinbe joining?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Why the gently caress did this autoplay for me

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Interesting thing from the anime movie tie in episodes

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Also could be a wink-wink towards Sengoku, the only human user of a Human Human Fruit and is a Buddha.

are you saying luffy isnt human?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'll post them

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fecha posted:

Is it actually a break week next? I need to know :negative:

no

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's going to be something like 'I'll make sure no one ever goes hungry again'

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Seraphim being made...

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Reminder that Franky is labelled BF-36

e: Well Bf-37 now after the timeskip

Kild fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 22, 2022

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's gonna be a mona lisa from FGO type deal

Kild fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 23, 2022

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'm color blind so I won't be able to watch it. Sorry zep

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lih posted:

kaido just wanted to have a gigantic army of df users to wage war against the world government with & was also seeking the ancient weapons to aid with that but only got as far as 'conquering wano because it seems to be important' there and didn't really have any leads beyond 'the samurai probably know something useful regarding the weapons/one piece'

Well they had Jack somehow finding underwater Wano. IDR if they knew Pluton was there tho.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the praying to ??god?? as luffy is diving into the giant thunder orb immediately before breaking it apart really stuck with me on a recent reread. that sure is some foreshadowing. another thing I noticed, during the big campfire end-of-arc party:

this beat is going for the whole dance scene, and then, 700 chapters later, luffy is fighting kaido:

is that the same rhythm? that fine, fine freedom god beat??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHIzkmHt-gE

Sounds like it in the anime at least, we'll know for sure when it catches up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/i/status/1578758901260029952

is the trailer btw

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Delphisage posted:

Why are we reincorporating the kid Warlord designs for some of the new Pacifistas, anyway? They've clearly got adult models of Seraphim, as seen with that Kumabot Aegis Zero is dragging along.

That's a younger Kuma. Weirdly his hair wasn't black as a child. It was silver/white like King's.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't think that's silver hair, I think it's just a shaved head.

Well ya he has to have his hair shaved to put on the bear hat with a wig attached to it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eiba posted:

I don't think den den mushi are ever really explained in the manga. They're just kind of... there. You don't need someone to stop and say "you can use this snail as a telephone," you just see the characters sit down and do that and, well, that's all there is too it. It's great.

It's based off the 1800s idea that snails are telepathic and then oda made it one piece-ified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasilalinic-sympathetic_compass

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

think its suppose to be ironic

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the one pink is real

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gin was Gold Roger's other kid.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He had a 1bil bounty when he lost his arm

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

White Light posted:

How many years has it been since this masterpiece moment?

Never forget :allears:

Can't believe he turned the metal into rubber here. Goda does it again.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

In Yugioh if a card is <Always treated as X>, you're still limited to 3 in your deck.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'll never read the quick and dirty scans.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Delphisage posted:

It's a recurring problem in translations. The old translations - and therefore the colored scans - translated "oji-san", the typical disrespecful term people use to refer to people older than them - as "Uncle" when Sentomaru interacted with Kizaru on Sabaody, when "Old man" is probably the closest term for Sentomaru's meaning. It was even part of the evidence fans used to speculate that Kizaru was Vegapunk. Therefore a lot of people will probably think they're actually uncle and nephew and mention that a lot on Twitter. Though if they do turn out to be related, I'd find that pretty fun, since it gives both characters more depth and provides Kizaru an angle to know Ryuo.

Anyways, in non-spoiler discussion, what's Sentomaru supposed to be a reference to? A specific kind of sumo wrestler?

Kintaro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintar%C5%8D

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5559/one-piece-chapter-1069

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i dunno, has there been a member of the wg with conquerer's haki before? lots of armament and observation, but i can't think of any conquerers.

It's not what you meant but the warlords were members of the WG. So Dofy would count.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Don't think Garp's shown he has conquerors

It's only been implied that Dragon and Garp both have it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tenasscity posted:

Um, I have a question...

Kizaru is coming to the island yes?

Lucci just killed/injured Sentomaru yea?

Sentomaru is Kizarus' Nephew.

So what now?

It's more of a Yakuza sort of uncle

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

oddium posted:

we should start posting monday spoilers again gwhaha

I want machine translated spoilers from JP->CN->KR->ES->EN

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ya, he drank Whitebeard's blood

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He has better Byakugan tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

And I believe the main reason Naruto could pull it off is because he had like so much fuckin' chakra from the drat fox.

Nah, he didnt tap into that until later. That's just natural Uzumaki genes. Kakashi said it was about double his own IIRC.

e: Looked it up. Later on he states around 100 times with the fox's chakra. Without the Fox it's around 4 (changed from 2) times in the volume.

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 4, 2023