Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
A filler idea that doesn’t consume any runtime seems a bit incoherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Dragon has mastered Delegation Haki so he doesn’t have to fight himself.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The only way I see Akainu turning on the WG is if the WG decides to sacrifice all the marines as acceptable collateral damage.

Say there’s a big Marineford 2.0 battle and the WG decides to nuke the site from orbit.
Or if the WG has a way to flood the world as a reset button.

It’s only when it affects himself that I can see him flipping on them, in all other circumstances he toes the line. It’s already standing operating procedure for the WG/marines to nuke entire islands/kingdoms if the acquire dangerous knowledge or are harbouring a dangerous individual and Akainu seems okay with this. There’s some friction between Akainu and the WG but it seemed like due to matters of strategy rather than conscience.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Akainu is all in on making sure anyone even possibly close to being criminal is deterred from criminal action. His issues with the World Government are more to do with him finding the Celestial Dragons obnoxious and interruptive to the pursuit of absolute justice because they demand the Marines do things for them.

Basically he doesn't like listening to the World Nobles, but his actual ideals are more or less "criminals should all die".

Nuebot posted:

I can, theoretically, see him snapping at some point if he learned too much about the truer nature of the elders, Im, and the nobles in general and such; or was forced to overlook too many crimes and garbage behaviour. We've already seen him argue with the elders and he seemingly has a strict internal code even if he is a complete rear end in a top hat and he doesn't seem to like the elders or the nobles much even if he does their bidding. So I could see him turning on the government and taking his loyalist marines against them.

Agree that Akainu’s code is basically “all criminals must die”.

But the WG are the ones that decide who is a criminal, which they can do for petty and arbitrary reasons. And Akainu just goes along with it whenever that happens. When the WG decides to wipe a kingdom off the map on a flimsy pretext then Akainu doesn’t even blink.

Akainu already knows how bad the WG is, and no matter how much he believes in his own sense of justice it’s pretty clear that theirs is bullshit and he gets stuck doing what they want. There’s no dark secret he could learn and no order he could receive that would really change things.

So that’s why I think only injustice that affected him personally would change things.

Okay I guess there’s one more possibility - if say the WG decided to pardon Blackbeard and formally appoint him as a marine Admiral then that might be enough to make Akainu snap. I don’t think there’s any threshold of collateral damage to innocent bystanders that would flip Akainu, but being forced to let insanely guilty men go free just might do it.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Can’t believe they resorted to wire works for super jumps instead of shooting on the moon, like god intended.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I’m not sure if there was some kind of error on my phone or if I’m just an idiot, but the first time I read the chapter I somehow missed the last page and let’s just I was extremely confused when people were talking about the last page reveal.

anime was right posted:

also we are so getting luffy vs kizaru and the strawhats vs VAs, right? its gonna rock

When it lists out “Nine Vice Admirals + Admiral Kirazu“ and “Including Emperor Luffy his crew has 10 members“ almost back to back it’s telegraphing that super hard yeah.

Might be some 2-v-2s rather than all 1-v-1s but guessing opponents: (VA spread going from right to left, top to bottom)

1-Zoro
2-Nami
3-Usopp
4-Robin
5-Franky
6-Jinbei
7-Sanji
8-Chopper
9-Brook

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Surprised people aren't posting inbetweens there's some good stuff there

Wish I could I get rid of youtube's stupid ui

That’s the face you make when a Samurai flung into the future ruins your carefully laid plans of world domination.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Upsidads posted:

He looks dumb in the manga, it's only better and better villains from there on however

Who’s inventing the levitating Robo suit for live action Kaido in 17 years time?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Saturn: I want an army of perfectly obedient robot super soldiers.

Vegapunk: ok. might not be perfectly obedient to you tho

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Burning the letters was primarily spiteful rather than serving a practical purpose. And that’s fine. Bad guys doing petty, mean and spiteful things is on brand.

It did end up blowing up in their faces by compelling Bonney to go out to sea to find Kuma, but Alpha didn’t know that would happen. Alpha probably expected Bonney to give up on Kuma after not hearing from him at all- bad guys underestimating other peoples sentimentality being something of a running theme for this arc.

And as far as Alpha knew Bonney was just a powerless sick child. If Kuma did sneak her some valuable intelligence there’s no expectation of her being able to act on it.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

the invincible cyborg sent to kill him is actually his dad’s business partner,

Love the euphemism turning revolutionary soldiers into business partners.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
My treasure? It’s yours for the taking, I left it there on Ebay. All you have to do is pay 30,000 dollars.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The Egghead Island incident AKA Elder Star Saturn’s very bad no good day.

Glad people explained what the hell Devon’s fruit does because I had no idea at all. Don’t agree that this acts as a death flag for Saturn though. “How can they impersonate Saturn if the real one is alive?” Uhh, more like how can they impersonate Saturn if the real one is dead. Even the most unquestionably obedient marine might start asking questions if a dead guy turns up and starts barking orders.

For some things it benefits the WG to hide their failures but Morgans won’t keep his mouth shut about this one, and if Saturn does go down it’s probably better for them to try to make him a martyr than to bury it as a secret.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Sure, but this is Sanji we’re talking about.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Why talk about Fraudhawk when Deskainu is still going strong.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I no longer believe in a “real” redemption for Kizaru, just a deathbed “I wish I lived more honestly to my feelings” kind of thing

Kizaru (deathbed): I wish... that I had been lazier and even more flaky.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Kizaru goes back in time and convinces Vegapunk to make his defensive shield out of lava rather than light, so Akainu can come here instead and Kizaru gets the day off.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Incredibly funny that chopper had a bounty of like 50, then cured a plague and it went up to a 1000.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Imagine working your way up through the marines for 10 years, reaching the position of Vice Admiral and you’re about to secure a huge promotion by gloriously murdering a little girl... then suddenly a giant comes out of nowhere and flattens you in one panel.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

Just imagining Vegapunk periodically making some new discovery about the true history of the world and re-recording an updated “gently caress You” message

“FuckYou_Ver-3_FINAL-Updated_LastestVer.wav”

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
My incredibly slow poo poo phone hard countered your cunning ruse by taking a full minute to load anything.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

probably a whole chapter of people reacting to the announcement with shock but we dont actually find out what it was until much later

Instead we had a whole chapter of people reacting to the preamble.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

oddium posted:

the yamato ship has sailed. or i guess in this case suddenly decided to not sail

The ship sailed alright, but Yamato did not.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I feel like if your plans are good you don’t need 1000 of them.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Farg posted:

they can teleport to each other clearly

In that case they need a 6th Elder Star. Supreme Minister of Benchwarming so they can teleport back and don’t have to walk all the way home.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

We all know what’s really going on. A rapt worldwide audience, a loss of government funding, his trademark shameless self-promotion…

Vegapunk just invented the unskippable ad.

“I have EARTH-SHATTERING revelations that THE GOVERNMENT doesn’t want you to hear, but first I gotta shill for new Vega Coffee.”

Turns out Vega Punk is Alex Jones.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

seen a guy with a dino power use that to torpedo his head, neck, and tail out of his torso.

That’s how they actually hunted. You can’t prove otherwise. :colbert:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Undetermined tier is a copout. Give me hot takes or give me death.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

ragnarokette posted:

I'm gonna be really mad (slightly miffed) if we get to the end without some followup on how inanimate objects like a gun that ate the dog-dog fruit got desire shoved into them

What happens if you make a devil fruit eat another devil fruit?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
If you’re playing 5 dimensional chess to engineer an outcome, presumably you’d want to engineer a good outcome. But seems like every faction is going to be pissed about how the Egghead incident shakes out.

Multiple Vegapunks died. WG/marines are pissed that Bonney has command of the pacifistas and that they had blow up half of science land and that a bunch of giants smashed their ships. Straw hats pissed that they got forced into retreat and had to run away from their second (third for robin) buster call. Lucci is pissed that he got stomped on in his glorious rematch.

Well I guess the giants seem like they’re having fun.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Vega Punk mentions committing 2 grave sins. Presumably one of them is what he did to Kuma. Given where the conversation is going I guess the Mother Flame is the other and we’ll get a bit more info on that.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Housing costs in Water 7 are about to skyrocket.

They’re gonna have to call it Waters 8 soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
So if turns out Vegapunk turning one of his best friends into a mindless killing machine was really more of a misdemeanour.