Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Rereading the Whole Cake Island arc, and I think this is still one of my favourite understated moments in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Thought I had, tangentially related to the new chapter: Originally people were theorizing that Jewelry Bonney was wanted by the World Government to keep the higher-ups functionally immortal with her Devil Fruit, but now it seems more likely that their plan was to use her to age up the Seraphims to adulthood to unlock their full capabilities. But why does Lucci say the government no longer has any use for her? Have they found a way to get around that? Maybe they've managed to copy her power, like they did with Senor Pink.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Addendum to theory: I think the person that makes Bonney’s powers obsolete is Shinobu. CP0 witnessed the raid on Onigashima, and must have figured out that Momonosuke got permanently aged up. If their aim is just to age up the Seraphims, then Shinobu’s irreversible power is all upside - can’t be countered by Haki, can’t be reversed with any other sort of Devil Fruit canceling power.

I don’t think the World Gov has a way to reliably respawn a specific Devil Fruit power - if they do, they must have figured it out very recently, given that their policy for the Level 6 prisoners on Impel Down was “lock them up forever and let them rot” rather than “just kill them and take their very useful Devil Fruit power for one of our officers”. Of course, now that it’s clear Vegapunk can perfectly copy Devil Fruit powers with no apparent harm to the user, anything’s on the table now.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think people are underestimating exactly what "the nearest compatible fruit" entails. A fruit isn't just "stuff you find in the grocery store at the fruit section", it's anything that contains seeds and comes from a plant. That's a ridiculously huge amount in real life, let alone in the One Piece world where biology is even weirder and wilder. It's theoretically possible to stumble across one, especially if it turns out to be a relatively common fruit like apples, which is presumably how Caesar figured out the Salamander fruit (that, or he picked up some info from Vegapunk). However, if you didn't know what the fruit type was, there's very little chance you would get it right since there's not exactly an easily repeatable way to test it - you'd have to kill a Devil Fruit user near a large pile of fruit and hope it respawns, and if it doesn't you've just unleashed a very dangerous power that could be used against you back in the world.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Dude has been waiting this whole trip to show off the almighty destructive power of the giraffe

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The thing that gets me about Zoro is that to this day, people still call him 'Pirate Hunter Zoro'. He's the first mate of one of the fastest-rising pirates in the world (who's now officially an emperor) and people still go 'yeah, but you know what was really memorable? That time when he was a bounty hunter'.

He was nineteen when Luffy recruited him, in a backwater sea widely reputed to be the weakest of all the seas. What the hell did he do during his previous career that people are still talking about it to this day, even after everything else he's done?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

Stussy is Clone #1, age unknown. If we assume that Buckingham's "son" Weevil is, in fact, Clone #2 then Sussy is somewhere older than 35. We don't know when MADS ended exactly, but Sanji's birth must be after that, so 21 years ago. That leaves somewhere under 15 years of time this kind of cloning's going on, since Vinsmoke seems to only do Shocker style super soldier clones. Bonney has no established age, but the assumption is 24 for some reason, so that's in that range and maybe, just maybe, a clone of Big Mom.

Big Mom's empire is basically hardwired to herself, since Nami merely holding a vivre card of hers was enough to control the whole dang forest, so I wonder how much power over that empire Bonney could hold? It certainly would be a big mixup if we come out of this arc with Kuma having his will and memories back, and also Bonney having her own fleet.

Even on the off chance this is true, why would Bonney have any claim to it? The vivre card controlled the homies not because it was a fragment of Big Mom's DNA, but because it was a fragment of Big Mom's soul. Plus, even if Bonney could control them, every position of actual power in her empire is filled with one of Big Mom's children, who wouldn't stand for it for a second.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Official chapter is out. Interesting that Zoro remarks that S-Hawk has *more* humanity in his eyes than regular Mihawk

Given that the Seraphim have been mentioned as having enough free will to make their own decisions, I'm betting that by the end of this arc or down the line, Luffy or one of the other Straw Hats will end up breaking their control chips, allowing them to decide their allegiance for themselves. Maybe some of them will still side with the navy, but at least they'll get to choose.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
That said, he was always planning to blow himself up, he carried that giant stack of explosives throughout the whole arc and pulled it out at every given opportunity. Dude was just looking for an excuse.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

anime was right posted:

maybe the current york is s-flamingo or s-crocodile using mr 2s fruit

I feel like it would overcomplicate the story to have yet another hidden mastermind behind everything. York herself already fills the role of one of Vegapunk’s errant creations bringing about his downfall, and so far everything she’s done fits both her capabilities and motivations.

Also, while it was understandably overshadowed by the traitor reveal, I did like that panel of Sanji just no-selling that punch to the face. He seems to have grown remarkably accustomed to his new superpowers, hope that doesn’t backfire on him.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think Luffy has ever shied away from the fact that someday Shanks is going to be an obstacle for him, and on that day he'll have to take him down. His stated goal has always been to take down all four of the Emperors, and he's never said he plans to make an exception for Shanks, even though he knows full well Shanks is one of them.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'll be honest. Booze fruit souds weird.

It's worth remembering that Devon, Shot, Pizzaro and Wolf are different from the rest of his crew. Blackbeard cherry-picked Devil Fruits for the rest of his crew, but those four were chosen after they survived the Level 6 Impel Down Battle Royale. The rest of his crew is still getting used to their new powers, but the four of them were already established pirates and clearly capable of using their powers to their full (and lethal) extent.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Kild posted:

Dumb speculation but if Kuzan is a traitor, I wonder if there'll be a traitor strawhat to mirror it

Fortunately the Straw Hats are already dealing with a traitor subplot just to get that out of the way

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the point of sword isn't that they have resigned already. that would simply make them former marines. rather, they hand in their resignation which is then put on hold indefinitely until they do something the marines want to deny responsibility for. then the resignation is completed, they fill in the date and claim the person in question wasn't a marine at the time. it's a dumb technicality and i'm not sure who it is supposed to convince.

That is something I've been wondering about, why the whole charade with SWORD? I get the idea for infiltrators like X Drake, but it seems like most of the regular SWORD marines like Koby are still sailing around, doing Marine things while identifying as Marines. If Kaido or Big Mom or someone similar took offense, would waving a piece of paper that says 'actually they technically weren't working with us when they attacked you so you don't have a case' really do anything? It's not like the Emperors gained their positions through excessive amounts of restraint and diplomacy.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
My personal theory is that Baroque Works absorbed or killed off every notable bounty hunter in the Grand Line as part of their scheme, and after it was revealed to be a criminal organization most of them were too busy evading the government to get any work done for the remainder of Luffy’s time there. As for the New World, that’s mostly Emperor territory and government presence is sparse, so bounty hunting is impractical and anyone strong enough to do so is probably a pirate instead.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Lotta people seem to think One Piece operates on DBZ logic where if someone weaker than you punches you in the face, you not only take zero damage but your face doesn't even move cause you're immune to physics. Thus it makes no logical sense how Shanks could ever lose an arm to a creature that Chapter 1 Luffy was able to beat in one punch, despite the numerous times in the series characters have taken hits because Haki is an active thing the user has to maintain and not just permanent 24/7 super armor. Like there's multiple fights where Luffy almost dies cause he wears himself out using Haki too much even!

I think people tend to make that assumption because that was basically true of all the other Emperors we've seen. Kaido and Big Mom were pretty much impervious to actual physical damage - the heroes had to resort to attacking them from the inside with Law's fruit/haki - and Whitebeard was implied to have been on the same tier before he grew old and sick.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

It is kind of weird how every admiral has their own form of justice, except Greenbull. That dude seems to just be what if Axe Hand Morgan actually had power.

As I understand it, Green Bull's deal is that he's a true believer in the World Government and sincerely believes that Celestial Dragons are living gods, and the best deal anyone else can get is being their unquestioning lackey. Akainu, while still a fascist, has never had any strong opinions about them beyond 'this is the price to pay in order to maintain a strong hand on the world', and now that they're actively meddling in what he considers Navy business, he's visibly starting to chafe under their directives.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

tbp posted:

i sorta wonder if it's a story being told to someone, maybe like a kid for a bedtime story, and that's why history echoes to the extent that it does (noland, roger, luffy, etc)

Narration-wise, the overarching story of One Piece is definitely being told some time after its events have occurred. That's how the narrator is able to foreshadow stuff like the Egghead Incident, or talk about how Momonosuke would eventually become known as the greatest leader of Wano on the day of his coronation.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I do want to know where the gently caress Cross Guild was pulling their bounty money from unless Buggy had been absolutely raking it with his Mercenaries before becoming an Emperor

It’s something I’ve been wondering about on occasion: where does the actual profit for Cross Guild come in? They’re issuing out bounties, but not really getting anything out of it at the moment - killing Marines isn’t an inherently profitable activity beyond an abstract “one less threat to deal with down the line”. The government/Marines can afford to issue bounties because piracy is enough of an existential threat that they don’t mind taking, and also they can just print money.

I guess the idea is to get unaffiliated randos to do their promotion for them by going for big-name Marines (no harm done to any actual Cross Guild members if they fail, and if they succeed then everyone knows it was a Cross Guild sponsored hit), then once they’ve gotten a few big early successes, sell themselves as a pirate union/protection racket by going “we managed to protect these guys while the heat was on them, and that same protection can be yours for a cut of all your loot”

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Seeing Kuzan finally throwing down in a proper fight makes me wonder how his fight with Akainu actually went, and whether it was a legit fight or not. Of course, even if Kuzan did go all-out in that battle, a highly-motivated magma man is probably no pushover either.

Come to think of it, I have no idea what role Akainu is going to play in the endgame. The Gorosei and Imu have established themselves as physical as well as political threats, and Green Bull is taking over his role as the fascist lapdog of the World Government who is 200% on board with all the horrible things they do. I could see him eventually snapping if pushed too far, but it's going to take a lot more to get him to break with the World Government, and he doesn't seem inclined to team up with any of the other notable factions at the moment either.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think Akainu knows or cares about what the true nature of the One Piece is, beyond the fact that it'll massively destabilize the world order when found, which is reason enough to not want it found. He might know the fact that it's something which would be highly embarrassing to the World Government, but he's not the type to look into it any further than that.

As far as the world at large knows, One Piece is 'just' all of Roger's treasure, located on an island that's nearly impossible to reach, and whoever finds it will become the new Pirate King. I don't think there's been any indication that anyone outside of Roger's crew or those closely affiliated with them know that there's anything more to it than that.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Akainu has been depicted as frustrated with the World Government a few times. I could imagine it coming to a head with him ignoring orders if they tell him to sit tight during the coming war.

Yeah, it seems more likely that rather than turning against the World Government entirely, he'll break ranks at a critical moment when they tell him to sit tight because there's a Situation right on their doorstep that he could personally resolve, and he either charges into battle unprepared against a foe he has no way to defeat (admittedly not a very long list at the moment), or a World Government stooge backstabs him because now that he's getting in the way of their carefully-laid plans he's just as disposable as the rest.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm a bit baffled that there are actually people who are still fans of the One Piece anime at all, lol.

From the clips I've seen on Youtube of the recent episodes, they've really been stepping up the animation quality for the Wano Arc, so I can see people who fell off it hopping back on just to watch the hype moments. Pacing is definitely still off (there'll be a couple of minutes of shocked onlookers going 'WHAAAAA-?!' every time in response to what was a quick one-panel gag in the manga), but there's no denying it's very pretty to look at, in an over-the-top sort of way.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Rereading Water 7/Enies Lobby for the upcoming Egghead arc, and one thing I always forget about that arc is the revelation of the chief judical official of the entire World Government:

Imagine being captured by the Marines, shipped off to court, and this is the guy who sentences you to life in Forever Prison.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Sentomaru is having a hell of a day, huh? Imagine you get called in on your day off, and your adoptive dadgrampa goes "Hey, I know you were excited about becoming a cop and all, but secret government agents are here to kill us and the army has sent a fleet to blow up our house. I'm going to need you to fight your soon-to-be-ex-boss in a bit."

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

The Kizaru interaction is totally different in this translation. It sounds like he's just trying to keep more of his marines safe.

It still comes off as him honoring Sentomaru enough to accept his challenge and face him personally, the high casualty rate mostly sounds like an excuse for Saturn (though it probably does happen to be true, which certainly helps his case)

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 18, 2023

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
A running subplot in this arc has been that the Seraphim have been a lot more human and free-willed than most give them credit for. Given the general themes of One Piece, I'd be surprised if it wasn't leading up to them breaking out of their programming by the end of this arc, or a later one.

In any case, Vegapunk is going to face a reckoning fairly soon anyway. Sooner or later, someone is going to ask 'So what's a Mother Flame, and why does the government want more of those so badly, and what did they do with the one they already have on hand'

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Good chap. Very worried about Stussy :ohdear: Very hype to see Luffy fight Kizaru :hellyeah: Really expected more from Sentamaru, I love his design. I hope he has more to do.

I don't know what more people want out of Sentomaru, he did pretty well for holding off his boss, a man made of lasers, with nothing but an axe for a bit after only recently being seriously injured. In and out of universe, that's all anyone really expected him to do. He never had a chance in hell of beating Kizaru outright, and if he had, it's not like people would have been happy with that outcome either.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

They have to be earning money off panel because just the bill for the food, booze, and cola has got to be a fortune. Hell, they might be getting some unofficial government "loans" from several grateful and rich monarchs. Either way, we've only been told the crew account balance twice, and that was two years ago. If nothing else Brook has to rich as gently caress, and there's no way Nami didn't make money during the time skip.

One of these days I really hope we get a scene where the crew meets a stranger and they go 'Holy poo poo it's the world-famous rock star Soul King Brook, right here at our doorstep, and also some other guys, I think they're his backup dancers or something?'

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
With how much the recent chapters have been jumping around, I thought I'd try putting together a brief timeline of everything that's been going on in the Final Saga, as well as where all the major players currently are. Fairly loose and may not be 100% accurate, mostly focuses on Final Saga events with the occasional extra included for context. Spoilers for up to the most recent chapter (1095).

It ended up being a little longer than I thought it would, so I'm just going to link it here.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

I'm just assuming Garp and Sengoku were trying to be the lesser of two evils because Imu getting moody could wipe out millions of people. Choosing to wipe out thousands in places like God's Valley or Ohara to save millions of people is probably also why Kuzan hedged his bets on Blackbeard because he's willing to do whatever it takes to overthrow gods versus Luffy who is a pretty happy go lucky guy who doesn't want to see anyone die as long as he'd fed

I don't really know how Luffy doesn't have 'what it takes' when pretty much the entire story has been Luffy encountering a highly unjust system, going 'this is wrong', and immediately proceeding to tear it down with his bare hands. It's worth noting that Blackbeard has never really shown to be dissatisfied with the current world order, his only real complaint is that he's not at the top. It's a pretty safe bet that he's carrying on the legacy of Rocks to become King of the World, and that's not an abstract concept - we've seen the King of the World, what that position entails, and what it takes to keep that position. If Blackbeard got his way, chances are very little would change, the Empty Throne would just have a new genocidal tyrant sitting on it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
One of the more telling moments is after the Katakuri fight, when Pekoms pops up in a flimsy disguise and he just goes "oh hey Pekoms". Even at his most exhausted, he remembers the people important to him.

(also I feel like the only reason he didn't play along was because he was too tired to pretend, otherwise he'd have been all "wow thanks mystery man, I don't know why you're helping me out of the blue but it sure is appreciated")

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Kind of disappointed that we got to the Fireworks Factory, only to cut away just as things got exciting. I'm looking forward to learning more about Kuma's backstory, but it felt like we just did a speedrun of that part of the flashback. I hope we get more soon (possibly through Saturn's recollection or Bonney remembering Kuma's memories she saw) as I was hyped throughout Break week for a Rocks/Roger/Garp/Royal Knights showdown, only for it to be skipped.

On one hand I definitely wish we got to see more of it, on the other hand I like that we got to see the parts that were the most important to Kuma. Everyone in the audience was hyped to see all the Big Names of the past generation go at it while they were in their prime, but to Kuma none of those names mattered. It was just a violent, destructive conflict that claimed the lives of almost everyone around him, but where he found an opportunity to free himself and save many others as well. It's a good way to remind people that they aren't fighting just for the sake of fighting, there are lives at stake being fought over.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Personal theory about the One Piece that I'm sure has been floated before, but just getting it out here while I'm mulling over it:

It's One Piece, the story we're reading right now, sent back in time to before Roger's era. That's why they were laughing, even though they were reading all about the World Government's atrocities (because they're reading about how it would end in shame and ridicule for them a couple of decades down the line), and how he knew for a fact he was too early (because he had yet to kickstart the Great Age of Piracy that would ultimately bring down the World Government). We know there's a fruit that can send people and objects forwards in time, so it's not impossible that there's another fruit (or the same fruit, fully mastered) that could do the reverse.

I'm also wondering if it's possible that the very first Joy Boy was Luffy, sent back in time to start the legend and then pulled forwards again to complete his task in the modern day, but I don't think there's enough evidence for that quite just yet.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It was debateable before, but the five elders are clearly having a telepathic conversation, right? There's no way they're actually saying any of that out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
So the cat is probably out of the bag as far as Luffy being the Second Coming, right? Feels like most people who hear the story 'once there was a guy with stretchy rubber powers, and he kicked major rear end' and then look at the guy with similar powers who rose from a no-name pirate to one of the Four Emperors could probably put two and two together.