Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jose posted:

Not saying what just happened wasn't Uranus but it's power seems a bit out of whack compared with what the others can/likely can do.

It sort of comes back to where did enel get the idea/blueprints for the arc maxim from because it doesn't seem likely be or the skypians created it. Maybe this is something similar except built using kizarus power

Pluton is said to also be able destroy an island and Poseidon gives you completely undisputed control over the seas. If you could command the sea kings in a concerted effort, good luck ever travelling across the ocean again.

Uranus being a orbital sky cannon makes sense to me and it also makes sense that’s how the WG wiped out the civilisation they were at war with. It’s the only way total annihilation on that scale could have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Nuebot posted:

If we're still giving our post-time skip hot takes, mine's that these past arcs have been more focused on issues you can't fix just by punching the bad guy at the head of the bad crew really hard, but instead more systematic issues brought on by a broken and corrupt government and all that jazz. But sometimes it just doesn't mesh well with a genre almost solely dedicated to punching people really hard to solve all of your problems.

I’d argue the opposite.

By coming into each land and causing chaos by punching hard , Luffy fixes the problem by completely upending the status quo and letting a change happen.

A lot of the awful things happening in the story are because people didn’t want to cause chaos and unintentionally kept perpetuating the issue because they thought a more considered response was necessary. They were afraid what would happen if the balance of power was disrupted and as a result you have whole islands where civil wars are started or people are turned into toys with no one jumping in to stop it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
i want to see more giants robots hit things and shoot lasers

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I finished the Water 7/Enies Lobby saga!!

I don’t need to tell anybody here how great it was.

My question right now is based off where I’m at, are there any good One Piece movies I could watch?

I’ve already (also only) seen the sixth movie, Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island. But I was wondering if there were any other good ones at this point.

Dead End Adventure is honestly the only one you should bother other than the one you've already seen. The rest are.... trash to put it nicely up until Strong World where the movies start being consistently decent to good

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
IS SAUL ALIVE??????????

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Vegapunk is everything I hoped he would be and more :allears:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I read them.

And will probably read them again with the better scans. And then again with the actual chapter.

I read one piece three times a week now. Ngl is pretty great

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Kidd just Yamcha now?

I mean he took down Big Mom with Law which no one else in the story was even able to come close to accomplishing. Law is also likely taken out by Blackbeard so unless we're also comparing him to Yamcha, not really.

When you get decimated by one of the strongest people alive, after being attacked while charging a devastating attack ( one so devastating Shanks had to jump in to prevent getting his whole fleet wiped out) leaving you off guard, I don't think there is any grounds to compare him to Yamcha who literally never accomplished anything of note during the entirety of DBZ's or Dragonballs run.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Watch episode 1017 , it’s just pure awesome, well animated Roof Piece for 20 minutes

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

yum posted:

don't really understand why they can't attack with the flame on, it's not like they're immobile or anything

They can attack, King was just turning it off for whatever reason and then Zoro started damaging him even with it on because he was using conquerors haki, so who knows why that rule isn’t applying now against the Seraphim if Luffy is using it against them as well.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Larryb posted:

The raw's out now at least so it shouldn't be too much longer

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I do love how in every recent appearance of Blackbeard, his crew are getting taken out in someway by getting turned to stone , beaten up or frozen easily, yet just rolling with it and still bouncing back.

They’re such a strange crew in that they seem to take a beating so often and yet still walk away without any real long lasting harm done

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I am ready for Captain Buggy to reignite my dream of no breaks

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
The stuff we’re getting here is weird, it feels like stuff we get at the end of an arc, yet it’s happening right in the middle of it

I can only assume Oda needs to setup these pieces urgently to make whatever happens in the final parts of this arc really hit home in terms of consequences for the future.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

you're keeping this goons dream alive.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

papasyhotcakes posted:

Think of it as preparing yourself for the final leg of the story. That way when Gin shows up in the final chapter you will remember who he is.

If goddamn Wapol can come back and be important, Gin should be allowed to come back

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah, thought there was still one left. Nevermind then

On another note, while the animation and fight quality of the anime has improved the pacing seems to have somehow gotten even worse (they seem to be stopping to do recaps every few episodes now)

Oda has now gone on two month breaks, plus the animation on a lot of the recent episodes have been incredible, with some episodes being straight out movie quality

Cut them some slack, they're doing the best they can given the situation. If they have to do recap episodes to maintain this level of quality and to make sure they don't catch up, so be it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Next week is a big one if the preview was any indication . Killer and Law vs Big Mom hits the climax

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I've seen the episode and do yourselves all a favour and watch it. Next weeks looks to be just as good. They make Law and Kidd look even better than they already did in this fight.

I honestly cannot wait for what they've got in store for Luffy vs Kaido , because they're going flatout with every big moment.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I love the grey and white stills at the start, that is not something I think has ever been in One Piece and it fit so fantastically.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Even earlier than that, they started it when Sanji donned the Germa suit and kept it going since then. It’s really cool, I like that they do it

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
A compilation of the stills for Kidd if anyone cares to have a look.

https://imgur.com/82vI3JI

I really love the choice of using that art direction, I hope we see more of it in the future.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Can we put this in the thread OP or something, its pretty awesome.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
They had a change in directors a few years back and they had been working on animation tools which allowed them to do what they're doing now. It's a really big turnaround and really shows the difference between a director who gives a poo poo and one who is kinda checked out ( those Dressrosa years were just insanely terrible and was led by a industry veteran if I recall).

Hell even having an american direct an episode for such a big show is such a big shift in culture, it's the first time I can think of it happening across the anime industry.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Is Pekoms just dead now. Does Baron Tamago reset from rooster mode to egg mode. Is Big Mom's territory falling apart after the one-two combo of her being defeated and Blackbeard's captains taking Pudding/ hitting their home base and knocking down the forces there at the same time.

I have so many questions

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Couldn't see if anyone posted this yet but the One Piece youtube channel put this out for the new volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sb4wxbHh-4

Love the custom song they made just for Vegapunk

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

One Piece Manga Thread: Mr Beast Pirates Gave 1000 Children Smile Fruit

Yes

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I think I had started reading properly into Thriller Bark, after being anime only for a long time and not knowing where to read the manga.

I love the Strawhat combos during that arc and I miss that no enemy will ever be powerful enough to necessitate that kind of whole crew tag team again.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I would think the Mother Flame is the technology he’s using to change Egghead islands climate. He said he wanted to spread it to all islands to make more habitable for the world, I could 100% see that being turned into a power source for what is the equivalent of a doomsday weapon.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Infinitum posted:

ep 1075 an entire episode of flashback waiting for The Punch

Happened in the manga and they did some really cool elaborations that made it better. I think it was pretty good, for a chapter I didn’t like either at the time

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

No Wave posted:

Enjoy the next fifty chapters, because you'll never read them for the first time again!

I wish I could experience it for the first time all over again. What a crazy ride that was

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Oh boy you've hit some truly peak One Piece. Treasure this moment, you're never getting back the feel of how how amazing this arc goes

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just posting this again cause it always gives me a good laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjpFJaJpSVo

Edit: Nodo don't watch this it has future spoilers

I love this.

I know it's a joke, but this is actually how the dumb power level discussions actually sound to me.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

lih posted:

forget all the stupid caterina devon theories, people need to be asking 'where is caribou, the most important character in this arc?'

Sitting on the SH ship as a plot device to advise either Blackbeard or the World Government about the location of Poseidon and Pluton when he’s captured.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Scholtz posted:

This is literally the most I could find. The left isn't even a thought, and the bottom right is more thematic than anything, but thankfully, the top right one is wonderfully in character.

I genuinely never thought about it, but holy crap he has never had any internal monologue.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

I just don't like all the "Luffy is an unthinking, all instinct based idiot that can't remember anything at all (names, faces, places) and has absolutely no idea of what is going on around him" memes.

He is an idiot, all right. But he cares about stuff.

I don't think anyone said that though...

I thought it was just cool that he never has internal monologue and speaks all his thoughts out loud.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I really, really hope upon seeing Nika for the first time, Kuma regains sentience and is able to see his hero before what seems to be his impending death.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Bisse posted:

I think this is a case of, there was supposed to be a different takeaway, and there were things in the manga that were meant to convey something different, but the execution was so bad and weird that even many hardcore fans had to really squint to take away anything other than ”yo genocide is like morally gray man and totally forgivable”

No it really didn't. I question the any reader who came away thinking that and their media literacy skills. I especially question them if they used the fan translation off the first draft release to make that assumption, which is where a lot of problems came from

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Runa posted:

That was just a bizarrely bad thread title even assuming OPLA had turned out bad like those posters were hoping it would.

And the one before it was even worse.

We’ve had a pretty bad stretch of thread titles yeah.

Even this one I don’t think is very good but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Fish man Island (and drum island) commit the sim of having a flashback that’s more interesting than the main story

It was a really, really good flashback though