Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

gey muckle mowser posted:

Seeing something like Skinamarink in a semi-crowded theater was great, I can’t imagine it would’ve been as effective at home alone. At the very least it’s a different experience.

Huh, would've thought that's one where watching it at home alone with all the lights off would enhance the experience. Haven't seen it at the cinema to compare though.

I think one important ingredient of being scared as a kid that goes away as an adult is the feeling of stumbling onto something you're not meant to see. Like finding the Mr Bonestripper scene from Nothing But Trouble on TV late at night and without context, it's not really that violent but it felt off and unwelcome and not "for me" in a way that stuck in my memory. Whereas now I can watch Hellraiser without any problem because I'm an adult and it is exactly made for sickos like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

High Warlord Zog posted:

I really want to know what draw in franchise horror is to DGG. The guy is coming up in an era of director driven original projects, come on David, you don't have to make "the further adventures of Michael" or "what if the The Exorcist had more than one possessed kid?" if you want to get your spooky movie made.

There's some stories that can be made more effective by being told in long established franchises. Like how a legacy of evil can infect a town, that has more weight when it's being driven by a character that's been around for 40 years (even if I think Halloween Kills is messy in it's execution of that idea)

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

M_Sinistrari posted:

It depends on the degree of how literal one goes. Go literal enough and one can shred the hell out of any rom-com, romance or the like. I went in watching Hereditary taking things at face value and it was compelling enough to pull me in on the underlying mystery and the demonology lore.

To enjoy it you just have to accept the slightly heightened world it's set in. It's not realistic for the cult to plan everything down to such detail, but there's a sense that the family is doomed to their fate regardless of the specifics. It's inevitable one way or another, and that's where part of the horror comes in. I can see why some people would hate that though, and that's fair.

Criticising Peter's reaction to the inciting accident is silly though, shutting off communication like that is a very realistic response to trauma.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
It's more on the puzzle side of things but Return of the Obra Dinn is a must play, and has some spooky elements.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Nikumatic posted:

It's a playable creepypasta doom wad basically.

why people are putting it on letterboxd, idk, but i watched a youtube video showcasing myhouse and it was pretty cool

it's kinda like if skinamarink was good and had a super shotgun

It's more like a "Top 10 spooky liminal space photos" youtube video with a shotgun. Skinamarink is doing something different, and I respect how hard it commits to it.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Doltos posted:

M3GAN was fine I don't think it's even close to being the best horror this year

Yeah basically this. It was a decent amount of fun, but maybe if I saw it at the cinema instead of at home I'd understand the hype more

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Duel is in my Spielberg top 5, and I'm happy to defend that take, because Duel is a drat near perfect movie.

I watched Duel for the first time a few days ago, good movie. Impressive how it manages to be entertaining and keep increasing the stakes with mostly just one character and a dickish truck.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Extreme same. To the point that I’m worried I’m basically mad at the movie for not reading my mind.

I experienced similar, so it's not just you! It felt like it swerved at the end towards a less satisfying direction than it was setting up earlier.

It also leads to a kinda unfortunate message if you've been interpreting the "nothing" as a manifestation of her depression/desire to self harm up to that point, then it turns out that it was contagious and she gave it to her husband. But depression doesn't work that way, one of her friends even says that at one point, but then the movie shows that happening anyway. The final line is also really on the nose. It's a shame because most of the movie is really good, it just stumbles at the end.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
There is a bit more to it later on, but yeah if you're not vibing with it after 20 mins it won't be worth it.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Gripweed posted:

I wonder how far afield you can get, what movie could you make an actual argument for being horror but if you did you would annoy people because it's obviously not horror.

The original Jumanji is definitely a horror movie.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Crescent Wrench posted:

I am ABSOLUTELY soliciting category ideas, anyone is encouraged to post em here or shoot me a PM.

"Dad picked up the wrong video from the store again"

Watch a movie that could easily be mistaken for a different horror thing, due to similar name, plot, cast, cover, etc. Bonus points for watching both. E.g:

- Terrifier vs Terrified
- The Mist vs The Fog
- House on Haunted Hill vs Haunting of Hill House

Reboots/remakes and obvious rip-offs would fit but it's more fun the more disconnected the movies are.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
If you want a challenge that's more difficult: Watch a movie in a language you don't understand, without any subtitles

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

dorium posted:

Finally! the Maxxxine trailer on Monday.

Good timing, I finally got around to watching Pearl a few weeks ago. It was good, but I liked X better. Both movies are fairly predictable so it depends on whether you prefer Pearl's old hollywood presentation.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Hollismason posted:

Whats the name of the book because I'm coming up with a Google search of a SCP foundation thing not a actual novel?

The full title is "There Is No Antimemetics Division", and the reason you're getting SCP stuff in a google search is because it's actually both, it's a long form SCP story that was adapted as it's own novel. The author has links to the original version of it on their website here: https://qntm.org/scp

I've only read the novel version, it has a lot of fun concepts and is worth checking out.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I got around to watching the Maxxxine trailer, it looks good as hell.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
About to see Late Night With The Devil right now!

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

in late night with the devil if he made a deal with the devil why was he getting clobbered by Carson in the ratings? Did Carson have a better deal with a better devil?

Close, but actually Carson is the Devil

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Kvlt! posted:

well movies are over what you guys wanna talk about now

I've been getting into reading horror books lately, mostly short story collections. Ray Bradbury and Shirley Jackson are pretty drat good authors, it turns out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Just kind of horror-adjacent, but I'm rewatching Twin Peaks and my wife is watching it for the first time.

We just got to episode 9 and THAT scene. With BOB crawling over the couch towards Maddy/you the viewer

Holy poo poo did that still hold up. I've probably seen it a half dozen times and it still freaked me out.

Oh hey I'm (slowly) watching it for the first time myself, been having a great time with it! Agent Cooper is the best, love how he's just immediately on board for everything about the town.

Speaking of horror scenes, I most recently finished episode 14 and oh boy.