Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

you hid the thread from me for 15 pages but you had to know I’d find it again!!
i got Netflix for the first time in ~5 years, around when stranger things s1 came out. what is good on here horror wise to watch this month? favorite castration scene is hard candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Creep is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen wow. pretty much every movie in that first two rows of best of Netflix are unwatchable. it follows was good. i will stick with goon recs.

edit—oh my GOD this poo poo had 90% on RT?!
spoilers follow. the android app lets you click a button and immediately add spoiler tags and images iOS users are being robbed.
there’s a scene where you think the movie is throwing you a curveball and it doesn’t, then it continues to play out incredibly linearly and predictably. nothing but jump scares to pay off the forever shots.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 13, 2023

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

really liked infinity pool a lot. performances and ideas and visuals were all very novel. much easier to recommend than scream 6 but you’re right the vibes are wildly different.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

watched let the right one in and st maud for the first time. i will be spoiling both in this post and spoiler tags aren’t working for me. I liked the first hour of both a lot. st maud spoilers—completely predictable. no idea why people online are saying it was “ambiguous.” we are never given any reason to believe maud is anything other than nuts. the sick lady saying she feels it too is the closest thing but the bare surface level of that scene is the sick lady putting her on and they drive it home soon after during the party scene when she mocks the pulsing.

there was some movie where the lady’s husband gets injured and she starts loving other guys and it gets out of hand. that was a better crazy Christian lady movie because it was bugfuck nuts and the ending was actually ambiguous. i liked a lot of what maud did but the ending felt unearned. also echoes how I feel about let the right one in. being disappointed in horror endings is an inevitability I guess. i liked a lot of what both films did visually. when mauds face stretches early you think you’re about to watch a much better film

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Hollismason posted:

Alien movies are horror adjacent.

September is October adjacent

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

im more icked out by the legions of people who love The Office to the point they made it their whole personality than horror people, I think

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Scream chat: can’t find a YouTube of it but Joe Browns scream in A Comedy of Terrors is an all timer. it’s on prime and probably free in a billion other places. throw it on to give your SO a break from all the heavy poo poo you’ve been making them watch all month. Vincent price, peter Lorre in what I believe is his last film role, basil rathbone, all at their emoting finest. god I wish I talked like Vincent price.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Kvlt! posted:

Goon culture is largely snarky passive agressive posting. As evidenced by...your snarky passive agressive post.

Im also fully aware a lot of people dont like me. I still enjoy the horror discussion itt. Some people do like me and I like them. Its not unreasonable to say "Hey post your video games in the thread for it". As I said, MZ posted last page saying the same thing.

I dont know how that got intepreted by CP as "prove your video game is a horror game, ignore what the mod said, and post more game links in the horror MOVIE thread".

CP and I butt heads bc he just doesnt really post about movies. Which would be fine once in a while we all discuss things that arent movies, but I think we can all agree that should be the central focus of the thread.

this is all true but the thread moves faster when you just ignore it and move on. if you post about a post that nobody wants to read you’ve doubled the amount of posts that nobody wants to read. look how many posts your cop post generated. if your goal is to keep the thread readable and on topic then cop posting is counter productive to your goal.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i had really bad insomnia as a kid. still do but an ambien prescription has been lifesaving since college. aftera couple bad nights of tossing and turning and not being able to make any noise for fear of aggravating my stepdad i would hallucinate. im not sure if hallucinate is the right word, since I knew the people at the foot of my bed weren’t real and they’d go away if i spoke to them, they were a visual trick more than anything i believed was actually in front of me.

one of the neat things about debilitating insomnia is you do often do actually get some sleep, you just don’t remember or realize it. according to your perception you were lying there restless with no breaks in continuity , but suddenly your pillow or blanket or stuffed animal or book would be in the wrong place. i still carry the nightmares. there was some TV show they put on in daycare that I’ve never been able to find featuring a teleporting alien who would get green screened in front of different locations—dreaming that it happened to me was bad, dreaming that it happened to everyone else was worse, waking up to objects not where i left them. getting up to make sure everything was okay meant getting into more trouble—when i would tell my stepdad i had nightmares he would growl “im the loving nightmare” and prove it, so i floated on, sweating, staring at the ceiling, sure that this was the time everyone had vanished to “planet somewhere.”

I say all that to say i could not have been more of the target audience for Skinamarink and I thought it was one of the shittiest movies I’d ever seen.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

heat might be the best movie ever made

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

also re kilmer chat i just rewatched tombstone and doc is one of the best characters in cinema ever

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I would fool around with one of the other camp counselors. when she hears a noise I’ll tease her, check it out, come back and say “see?”

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i suggest everyone wind down with a little horror movie to take the edge off. perhaps cabin in the woods.

is there cabin in the woods isn’t horror discourse?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

His performance in Dream Scenario was also brilliant, especially one of the all-time fart gags.

i hated that movie but the scene you’re referencing is some of the truest, most horrifying horror I’ve ever seen on film

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

can any of you help me remember a movie I rented from blockbuster in like 2008-09? I was pretty sure there was a killer clown but my friend disagrees. I’ve looked through all the killer clown
movies of this era and haven’t found it so he might be right. there was definitely a bad guy chasing the group. I remember it being gritty and kind of aesthetically a SAW ripoff but a lot more brown & rust. i remember a dessicated corpse looking guy getting fluids transferred out of him. I remember the girl escaping by climbing up and out into a shack on a frozen lake then burning the shack down. im truly sorry for this terrible post

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Kvlt! posted:

Dark Ride (2006)?

no but the spirit of this post is very close. it was not something I’ve ever heard of before or since, in the sense that it was a pretty lovely b movie that took itself completely seriously. i will watch dark ride i love rides

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Kvlt! posted:

your description is ringing a serious bell in my head too ima dig a little more

appreciate you. my buddy also said the end came down to the two girls of the group and the killler got pushed into some vials/whatever he was trying to kill them with.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Doltos posted:

I didn't enjoy the Empty Man or any ____ man movie at all. The whole zoomer curse thing is awful and lazy.

Invisible Man is good

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

in late night with the devil if he made a deal with the devil why was he getting clobbered by Carson in the ratings? Did Carson have a better deal with a better devil?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

alf_pogs posted:

i think we are from different planets because i would give all those movies a big fat "meh"

yeah i actually thought you were making GBS threads on him lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Crumps Brother posted:

I figure since I'm already going to watch Humane and Infinity Pool this week I may as well go for the hat trick and get David in the mix too. If I were to watch one David Cronenberg feature which should it be? Can't be Shivers cuz I already watched that one somewhat recently.

The broooooooooooooood