Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What did people think of the new Trigun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I got to episode three of Stampede, and I think it's not a show I want to watch right now if it gets this dark this early.

Incredible production values, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

somehow all these years I missed the fact that Wolf's Rain was set in a dystopian post-apocalyptic-ish future (or maybe I forgot since the last time I looked it up), and that wolves aren't actually on screen all that often

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

homeless snail posted:

it rules how deranged this website is about anime

What’re you referring to this time?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i started physical therapy because of chronic back pain (i'm in my 30s), but unfortunately it's barely made a difference. i'm supposed to get an mri scan soon, but that had to wait because of insurance issues.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Idk if I'd be drawing these parallels if I didn't know about the studio connection, but something about Wolf's Rain is reminding me of Kurau Phantom Memory. They both feel kinda slow and muted. Restrained. Come to think of it, RahXephon had a bit of that vibe too, though for me that sometimes veered into boring.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a way to filter Cruncyroll by movies? All the movies I’ve found are listed as series.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don’t like recap episodes (I’m not sure if they’re still common place), and tend to skip through them, but I have to admit there was stuff in the Wolf’s Rain’s recap that reminded me of things I didn’t initially place enough importance on.

Like how when Kiba is introduced, he’s quick to kill at the mere chance of being in danger. “What’s wrong with killing?” when reprimanded by Tsume. Whereas in later episodes he shows restrain, and tries to avoid unnecessary violence. He basically outright refutes his earlier self with something like “I don’t want to kill pointlessly”.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 7, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

:kstare:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

you can just skip them, they still made all 26 normal episodes

But there’s only 26 episodes total. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Seems Crunchy doesn’t have those

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Check if CR has a second Wolf's Rain listing for the OVAs. They don't always put everything together under one show listing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

[Wolf’s Rain] Was Mew a figment of Kiba’s hallucination or the spirit of another animal caught by the plant? Since it’s fantasy I’m guessing the latter.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Srice posted:

:hai: 5 am bike rides are a great way to feel alive

I feel a little invigorated just reading that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Srice posted:

Movie this morning was Eternal 831. It's a shame how far Kenji Kamiyama has fallen.

What did you think of the Netflix 3D GITS, assuming you’ve seen it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yes, immensely. (Finally watched it.)

Srice posted:

I've only seen a little bit of it. There are some folks I trust that say the writing is pretty good, though I didn't get far enough to have a strong opinion on that aspect because I really disliked how the show looked in motion. I'm not against watching a CG anime, just that I didn't like how it specifically looked. I might give it another go someday.

I didn't like it very much, but maybe some of it went over my head. My joke meta reading of is that Kamiyama was commenting on nostalgia (which is a subtext of the show) by intentionally making 2045 a pale imitation of the original. There are a number of parallels, and it even repeats the weird hacker boy with a book trope, except this time the book is 1984 (like, isn't that what you'd choose if you were making a parody?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It’s silly that pirate websites have much better search and filter tools than Crunchyroll.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

VHS tapes hold up surprisingly well. I tested a bunch of tapes from my childhood recently, and many still played fine. Even recordings (depends on the brand, though. 30 year old Sonys held up better than 15 year old Philips).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Syd Mead's Gundam showed up in my Apple Music suggestions today

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

not relevant to the above because that was an official soundtrack release, but i'm curious how smaller artists get away with using copyrighted anime images as album art (for paid releases; not like personal soundcloud uploads). cause there's a lot of it. is it considered fair use, or do the rights holders just not care enough to litigate, or don't even mind?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Reached the end of Wolf’s Rain. A bitter sweet philosophical road trip.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is that from SA?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

the other day my buddy was explaining to me that if i knock someone down in a match its extremely important that i whack them on the head before checking if theyre ok. kendo rules

my highschool friend would brag about his kendo dojo requiring him to stand barefoot in a cold shed with a concrete floor, to thicken the skin on his feet (as a regular activity). do you know if that's actually something that's done?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

theres a lot of severely stupid "training" that goes on in kendo, especially in the past. it carries a lot of baggage from its origin in edo dojo culture, the political mess of the restoration where it was formed, and the imperial era where it was co-opted as fascist PE. instructors will tell me about brutal physical abuse done to "toughen them up", far beyond the normal aspect of putting your body through stress beyond what youd face in a match. so yes it's very believable but few american dojo, none that im aware of, would do something like that today.

the bottoms of your feet get calluses by showing up to practice and you get stable non-blistering calluses by doing the movements correctly on the correct surface. so the specific thing he says was most likely a form of hazing. and like any hazing once you do it youre liable to think its cool you got abused like that and perpetuate it.

fwiw, this was the netherlands (...nearly 20 years ago)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Namtab posted:

It's amazing how little joy 2009 adtrw took in anime.

For posterity

I remember Sengoku Basara being popular, at least at first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGCrfQ2Nofc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

I caught the end of Jason X on TV.

Is there an anime equivalent to something like that? Just dumb, at times goofy, over the top horror/violence.

Elfen Lied? I wouldn’t recommend it as a show, but it does have a lot of gore.

Very nice ED, though.

E: not really goofy in the same way a camp slasher movie is, though

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

not like this is an incredible example of what's possible, but the customization in code vein is pretty nuts

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

A fuzzy looking redhead

hey i said my work wasn't great. the editor just has an incredible amount of granularity (except for face variation for whatever reason).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

nijisanji and hololive are actual corporations so they need permission to stream games because theyre basically using those games to make money, as a corporation

its a bit different from a random twitch dude. like you can buy stock in hololive.

i've wondered about that, because i haven't heard about that being the case for big streamers, which are essentially one person businesses.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

I want an anime to make me cry

utena fits that bill, if you're still watching.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bound to show up as a thumbnail to one of the breakcore videos youtube keeps suggesting me (i think cause i listened to some jungle compilations)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7T1SVnXYsk

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is X (the anime) anything special?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It’s annoying that screencapping legit video streams is a bit of a hassle. And as far as I’m aware, not even possible on iOS.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txi1CarJuS0

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I like it’s surrealism, but sometimes Melody of Oblivion gets too weird for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I like it’s surrealism, but sometimes Melody of Oblivion gets too weird for me.

Finished it. Feels like it had a bit of troubled production because it’s uneven, especially towards the end (though less so the final episode). Don’t know what was up with the cow girl farm (except maybe to foreshadow that solitude had driven the villain mad and pathetic), but I did like their choir singing.

Weird show. I don’t know that I’d recommend it anyone, but I can’t say it wasn’t interesting, in good and bad ways.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lol, 3DS School Days spinoff

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh, didn't realise she was 60. Makes some more sense now.

cowboy bebop was a while ago (she voiced faye if you didn't realize)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neat, never heard of anime being on PBS.