Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Barely related to the NHL, but I am going to a UK Elite league game today. Cardiff devils at Guildford Flames. As you can see, it is one for the purists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Diet Crack posted:

Pretty solid representation of the UK as a whole

Dim, Dreary, Rundown and hopeless with bad ice

Harsh but fair

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

CBJSprague24 posted:

Awesome. I'm fascinated with the fact that the UK has a minor level hockey league.

It is very minor league! Guildford's powerplay was an offence against man and God, and the goal tending wasn't great. But, it was recognisably hockey, there were a few slick goals and big hits.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Simplex posted:

Do we need to have an intervention with Pacific Division or something? They're is an awful lot of dogshit and garbage going on there currently.

The 5-0 VGK are very happy with the current circumstances and would appreciate you paying attention to the more stylish divisions

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Jesus

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Not that it matters much, but the crowd in the British league is all kids and families and the like. Just horrible

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Kind of assume that Vegas told the league about what happened from their end, and it seems so outlandish incompetent/deceitful that the league didn't believe them, and then turned out it be true

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
So, uh, are Colorado carrying injuries? Cause 7-0 was not on my bingo card

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Habibi posted:

Have you seen the SJS roster? There is basically 0 chance of this scenario.

Yeah, the last thing they need is a post hairdryer Vegas team

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Mike_V posted:

What? Is the suggestion there that the guy who cut him did it on purpose for some reason?

Manslaughter would be recklessness.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I think even if it is a horrific accident as it appears, they have to do due diligence and interview him under caution.

I garuntee the British government does not give the slightest poo poo about ice hockey, but the coroner, prosecutors and health and safety folks absolutely care about a guy dieing a bloody death in front of a bunch of kids.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Surprisingly, it is the Stanley Cup champion Vegas Golden Knights who are dogshit garbage tonight.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Surely Flower being Flower he'll just wear it anyway?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
On goalie chat, Sean Burke definitely has to be getting to that all time great goalie coach level. Resurrected Quick, somehow elevated Adin Hill into a fringe Vezina candidate, developed Logan Thompson into a good goalie and got quality starts out of Jiri Patera and Laurent Brossoit

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

OldSenileGuy posted:

I was thinking something like this, or maybe he took a little workplace flirting too far and sent some dick pics or something. Something that would absolutely warrant termination, but the other person involved might not want to press any charges to avoid being thrust into the spotlight.

I'd believe this for an organisation that wasn't the blackhawks.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/VGK_PR/status/1730009398540660973?t=kkY_CKQvncuaS_a8o0WUPg&s=19

If only they didn't suck rn.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Surely LTIR cheating is only when you IR a person for the season and then bring them back the moment the postseason starts and the cap stops, a la Stone and Kucherov?

Robidas island is broadly fine and serves to ensure people get paid as the poster above says

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Twin Cinema posted:

Wow. After how long this has dragged on for, I didn’t think we’d ever see the names released. Or a charge made.

Technically neither of those things have happened yet...

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

secret volcano lair posted:

How are any of these teams even going to spin this?

Easily

"We questioned [player] who assured us that nothing untoward had happened, and we confirmed with London Police that any investigation had closed. We are incredibly saddened that [player] lied to us. As an organisation we are reliant on the findings of any police report as we have no investigative powers of our own. This incident does not represent the values of [organisation]. We are terminating [player]'s contract and have no further comment"

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeBRmL4D/

British ice hockey may be generally poor quality, but it does have some redeeming features.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Starsfan posted:

lol i was about to comment about how it seems like Vegas is about a week away from playing themselves right onto the playoff bubble.. they got to sort some poo poo out.. I saw reports they activated Eichel from IR today so that should help keep them in it, but who knows.. they've had late season collapses driven by injuries before..

Yeah, it's always the risk they run with committing so much to Stone and Eichel. Though they've actually been sneaky good about getting younger the past two season.

It won a cup, no complaints, but they do now have to deal with two increasingly injuries guys on $10m/yr and full nmc. Be interesting to see what they do when Theodore's extension comes around, I can't see them going rebuild, but I do wonder how much longer they can keep spinning plates

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

In fairness, the Vegas management know what they like, and it's big D men. They're generally pretty good at targeting players who can do the things they want and whose weaknesses they can protect.

Looking forward to them trading their 2024 first for a 2025 first.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Chuch posted:

Little sad to lose Ponomarev, he was hardly a superstar in the making but figured to be a solid middle six guy who could fill in right now pretty effectively if needed but gotta give something to get something. The other prospects haven't moved the needle much so basically depth/lottery tickets for the Pens.

In other news, how bout them Golden Knights? From cup win and 11-0-1 start to flirting with missing the playoffs. Looking at the standings they still seem pretty safe with a 6 point cushion over the bubble teams with said teams having only 0-1 games in hand, but if Vegas drops their next few games things are going to get real interesting. Has any coach ever been fired the season after winning the cup? Firing Cassidy if they miss this year feels like a very Vegas thing to do.

I would be shocked if they fired Cassidy. All their best players are injured. I'm surprised they made go for it trades as they need to refresh their D corps with Martinez and McNabb clearly being at the end of the road and they need to figure out what the hell to do with Stone and Eichel since they've got term and NMC, but I think they'll be fine with being the bottom seed no-one wants to face.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/ProducerDrew_/status/1774199083877437507?t=KnXBRq6xdtFNar4igbaE3g&s=19

I still don't get why you'd risk this

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
It is uncomfortable wondering if the demons from the Bad Place didn't kind of have a point.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Vegas going up 4-1 on the yotes and somehow losing 7-4 might be the funniest result of the season

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

tinstaach posted:

Oh no, he way less than half-assed it. Two- or three-percent-assed it at best.

The correct amount of arsed

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I think they're worried that they wouldn't mind playing/living in Arizona so left it off their list, but wouldn't want to play/live in SLC and won't have the chance to update their lists before the move

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1778519216330584154

$7.35m per year

how do they keep doing this

Mark Stone and Lehner must be perma-LTIR I guess

McNabb and Martinez expire this offseason I believe

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Twin Cinema posted:

McNabb has another year, but Marchessault’s deal expires. So does Mantha, and Chandler, so they have roughly 15-16m coming off the books.

Mind you, signing Hanifin, and then having one of Stone or Lehner come back, eats that up quickly. But, I have learned Vegas will always do something interesting.

Lehner only has an 8 team no trade, so he's either living on Robidas island or getting moved.

I'm pretty certain they'll want to bring Marchy and Stephenson back, but I've no idea who they'd move that doesn't have a full NMC

EDIT: On looking at it, it does seem more and more like Stone might be moving to Robidas island. That or they move Karlsson. I just can't see them letting Mantha, Martinez, Marchessault and Carrier leave for nothing.

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 12, 2024

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Eric the Mauve posted:

I really thought Vegas was a smart enough organization not to megapay Hanifin but it seems not.

$7.5m is 1.5 pair D man at this point.

Also I hope that they close the LTIR playoff gap soon, but until they do I expect and hope that every team exploits it as shamelessly as possible

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Congrats! The prize is facing Vegas

As much as bringing Stone back will improve them, Vegas is 8th seed for a reason.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Get this depressing doom posting about the penguins outta here. This thread is for unbridled optimism and hope

I am full delulu about Vegas beating the stars and making it to the cup, only because a) it would be extremely funny, b) Pete DeBoers magic expires in the playoffs, and most importantly c) it would make the NHL league office and Gary Bettman look extremely silly for allowing Mark Stone to play for free in the playoffs every year.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/1781744096257937553?t=ar4UYzlCMdYqPtu_fjQ9uw&s=19

Fuckit just take my appendix is a new level of dedication to the cap circumvention game

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
It's normal for most sports

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Eric the Mauve posted:

* Boy does Logan Thompson suck. 5-hole, boss? What's that? ...at least that's my impression because I think I've watched him play maybe 12 times and he's let in horrible goals in like 10 of them. Then I look him up and he has a career .918 so I guess he's actually pretty good?

He does give up softies, but he's usually pretty good about shrugging them off.

Also Vegas is very good at taking pressure off their goalies

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That Bob save is the most ridiculous one I've ever seen

It's insane!

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/video/fla-vs-tbl-bobrovsky-crazy-save-6351506575112

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Cocaine Bear posted:

Gotta overcome adversity to win the cup. First game was bad but they weren't bad last night and most importantly, they got a good game out of Ottinger despite some back luck. They'll come back to win it and they'll be angry for round 2. Go STARS!

Their problem is that they've been suckered into playing grindy hockey, and if they can't play their game at home I don't see how they're going to be able to do it in Vegas.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

shyduck posted:

As much as I hate to admit it their Thursday Night Football coverage is great. They also offer alternate live feeds with more on-the-fly stats and different camera angles.

Yeah, their pl coverage is decent too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
They absolutely need to blow it up. None of the highly paid guys will waive their nmcs to be the sacrificial lamb in a retool, but they might if you start trading everything else that isn't nailed down.

The current group have no way to access the elite D man or goalie upgrade they need, and they just seem to have burned the idea that they're losers into their brains.