Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pork never goes bad posted:

I saw that one show from this season (maybe more - I just noticed this one) aired a premiere today and I can report that Fluffy Paradise begins exactly as you'd expect, and if a child petting a tiger sounds fun to watch then it's not terrible. I assume some over-serious exposition of the grand plot (through adventure? Politicking? Weirdly placed shonen power battles?) will occur, but so long as it's got a cure child petting a cute tiger and it doesn't get weird, it's slotting solidly into the category of popcorn I'll watch if there's not a ton of competition this season.

We need a Knife-kun vs Overwork-kun vs Truck-kun three way over-under bet each season for isekai origin stories.

Yeah they've dropped some heavy hints that there's going to be an underclass of extremely oppressed/persecuted animal people and the entire conceit of the show is that a god sent her to this world to judge whether the humans need to be wiped out for the horrible poo poo they've been doing so we can kind've guess where this is headed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Larryb posted:

Looks cute, how’s the show itself so far?

It's a trash isekai but it's a comfy, slightly above average trash isekai which I know isn't saying much. At the very least the character's super isekai magical ability is not crazy powerful, non-humans really like her and that's it. No god tier mana levels or anything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That's another plus for Eminence In Shadow, it already got a 2nd season and they just announced a film

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lord Koth posted:

Like, the Pevensie siblings had nothing superhuman about them period

Well, until Father Christmas gives them magical items for the final battle against the White Witch's army.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The best isekai was the 1980s Dungeons and Dragons animated show

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

Frieren Friday is back.

Gonna start off the day with checking out Isura and Sasak to Pii-chan

Think gonna skip over Unwanted Undead

I had a look at Unwanted Undead and it was okay. It seems to be a pretty typical "human is reborn as a weak monster in a dungeon and in order to survive he has to kill other monsters so he can evolve and grow stronger" story, except it's not an isekai but a standard low fantasy. So far it doesn't even really have any videogame status pages or hitpoint increases or any of that stuff, the power ups are shown via actions rather than through lists of stats

I'll also be checking out The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic today

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Doodles posted:

whoever said Fluffy Paradise's protag isn't OP really needs to roll that back

Doctor Doolittle powers are not OP, I'm gonna die on this hill :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

She has better than Doctor Doolittle powers though, she has a pacifying effect on any animal she meets. I mean she hand fed a goddamn tiger and pacified a dragon with head pats. No matter how intelligent those animals are they see humans as annoyances at best and food at worst but they roll over and play nice doggie for the little girl.

Doolittle also befriended a tiger and a dragon, touché.

Even the Eddie Murphy version had a tiger buddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFPO8TjKorg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life Married to Her Worst Enemy! episode 1: seems to have a lot in common with the Otome Villainess genre in that the protag starts out engaged to the prince but is publicly denounced because a rival spread lies about her, so she loses everything and goes on the run. The hook here is that every time she dies she travels back in time to the exact moment that the prince breaks off their engagement and gets to start over again, and so far she's lived 6 different lives where she's had various careers which have given her a wide range of advanced skills. They rush through this at breakneck speed, they briefly show moments from her first two lives but every time she dies it goes to a black screen with the voiceover "..... but then war broke out and I was killed" with no other detail, and lives 3 to 6 are barely even shown at all. At the start of her 7th do-over things turn out exceedingly differently and she accidentally impresses the man who usually ends up becoming the Emperor who starts the war which inevitably kills her, and he suddenly proposes to her ...
It doesn't really break any new ground but it's not bad, if you're a fan of otome/princess animes you might enjoy it.

Solo Leveling episode 1: has a similar premise to Gate in that dimensional portals to a magical realm open up across Japan and fantasy monsters pour out and start killing people, so the portals are blocked off and teams are sent in to kill monsters and bring back resources. The twist here is that the monsters are completely impervious to modern weapons so 'hunters' have to go into the fantasy world to find magical weapons, and a few lucky people find they have an aptitude for magic and can use new powers. The protagonist is the weakest of all the hunters and frequently gets injured in even the easiest of missions, but he has to support his family so he keeps giving his best. However, when he joins a team for what should be an easy dungeon adventure they discover something unprecedented and things take a turn for the worse ....
The premise here feels pretty forced (bullets don't work on monsters so the army was powerless to fight goblins, wtf) and even though it's supposedly set half in the real world they use a lot of RPG cliches (tier levels, guilds, boss fights, character classes, etc etc)

Chained Soldier episode 1: another series where portals open up across Japan and monsters flood out and kill people, so fighters with special powers have to cross over to kill monsters and save people who get trapped in the other realm. The twist here is that only women can gain these powers so men have pretty much become second class citizens and have to perform all the menial services in society. When meek schoolboy Yuuki gets trapped in the other world he's saved by the chief of the Seventh Unit of the Anti-Demon Corps and when they get surrounded by monsters she decides to try her special power of "enslave monster" on him in desperation. She binds him and he hulks out and turns into a monster-slaying beast who follows her every command, but when the dust settles it turns out that the downside of her power is that she is compelled to 'reward' her slave for his efforts and in his case that means she has to smooch him a lot.
The tone reminds me a lot of Vermeil in Gold, with the roles somewhat flipped

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Haystack posted:

Watched Villainess Level 99. I liked it! The story isn't anything groundbreaking, and it's obviously a cheap production, but it's generally a solid adaptation of what I like from the manga. A real comfort food sort of show. (Anime spoiler) I appreciated the commitment to the initial fake-out, although they could have gone harder on the twist reveal.

Regarding that spoiler: the shonky streaming service I was using sometimes fucks up their listings and uploads some random show instead of what you were expecting so I was genuinely unsure I was watching the right show at the start

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My posts are an isekai

Think you can avoid isekais forever?? You're in one right now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
On that note .....

Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp episode 1: this series merges several different isekai genres: the main character starts out as an Empress in a generic 18th century European country but gets executed for being lovely and she gets isekai'ed (reverse isekai'ed??) into modern day Japan where she decides to live a virtuous life and becomes a top level surgeon, then she gets re-isekai'ed back into her original life but also has a time skip to an earlier time before she went down the path that lead to her fall from grace. It's pretty much a combo of "reborn into a different/past era" isekai plus "using modern knowledge in a world without modern technology" isekai. Episode one pretty much covers everything up to the point where she wakes up after getting re-isekai'ed so it's pretty much just an intro chapter before the actual story starts.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Silver2195 posted:

It’s a particular kind of bad fantasy, though. Older Western “Extruded Fantasy Product” of the Sword of Shannara sort doesn’t have video game mechanics, and while it basically has Heroes and Demon Kings, it lacks the obnoxious pseudo-self-awareness implied by using those specific terms.

Sword of Shannara was shamelessly derivative, if Terry Brooks had been aware of the RPG stereotypes we see in lovely fantasy animes I'm sure he would have used them. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

gonna check out villainess lv99

Maybe wait until episode 2 airs, episode 1 is pretty much just an intro and doesn't really get into the story or character interactions

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

started Doctor Elise, female surgeon gets isekai'd back to her previous life. From her plane crashing. Harsh, at least truck-kun is economical. Why do you have to take everyone else on the plane down with you just for you to isekai. Or maybe they all got their own untold isekai story offscreen.

I'm going to wait here until you finish the episode you owe Surgeon Queen Elise an apology for doubting her surgical prowess and selflessness. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Polikarpov posted:

If Bravern really leans into the super robot in a real robot world premise it'll be something special.

Yeah it's had some genuine LOL moments already, looks promising

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ninjewtsu posted:

but of course the only actually meaningful information in it was confirming who got married and what kooky job x character is doing now
Ah the 1980s "where are they now" end credit sequence, always a classy way to end your show

I was going to post the end of Animal House but some of those jokes haven't aged well at all :hmmno:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 18, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

haypliss posted:

Man what the gently caress is that Sasaki and Peeps ED.

To save everyone googling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjs9ydbC3C8

:pwn:

Note that they didn't use this ED at all until episode 3, I'm guessing because the character most prominently featured in the ED only just introduced this episode.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Posted a week ago:

nielsm posted:

Sasaki and Peeps - could you at the absolute minimum have made the coworker girl 19 or something, and not a 16 year old high schooler? I'm sticking with it for now because bird, but with how the two other girls that appeared this episode look, I'm afraid it'll just go downhill from here.

LOL you jinxed it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

haypliss posted:

It just feels like a flub in trying to do stop-motion aesthetic cg or something.

Yeah it feels like they wanted a stop motion ED because they're been really popular recently but the studio that specialized in those was all booked out so they got a CG studio to make something all stilted like stop motion, and insisted they make the eyes as creepy and lifeless as possible

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm probably going to drop My Instant Death Ability Is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against Me! at some time but I did find it funny that one of the character classes they have in this world is American ninja

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is good fun if anyone is looking for a lighthearted fantasy/isekai.

Basic story: a random highschool kid accidentally gets isekai'd when two of his schoolmates get summoned to be heroes and he gets caught in the spell. It turns out he has healing magic and he's instantly claimed by the kingdom's crazy healer to join her team of wartime EMTs whose job is to rescue injured soldiers on the frontline when armies clash, and it turns out her method of training healers is an insanely over-the-top bootcamp training regime.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlowBloke posted:

Peeps suddenly went dark with the magical girl skinning the fairy :aaa:

Yeah that episode went places I wasn't expecting

Feels like the writer wasn't sure which genre they wanted so they just kept piling more on, lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

Starting episode 2 of Weakest Tamer. Keep on fighting.

Faito! :yaycat:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

is Undead Adventurer the undead one where he's super OP, and a good guy, but everyone thinks he's evil and runs away or keeps trying to kill him

doomrider7 posted:

No. No idea what that one is.

That was Berserk Of Gluttony which is fairly different but has a few cosmetic similarities, such as both protags hiding their identity behind a spooky skull mask.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

no, not that either.
The one I'm thinking of is an undead that just wants to die, but attacks never do anything to him. But he doesn't want to hurt other people either. So he's helping a bunch of people who end up after being thankful, then run away from him when they see him. And other guilds that find out about some "evil" OP skeleton keep attacking him with their strongest attacks that just bounce off of him and then run away for their lives. I think he's been undead for so long, he has bad communication skills, so he just ends up sounding like he's growling at them and making weird noises when he tries to talk to them. Some of the smarter guild members think he might be non-hostile because he never chases after anyone.

He does get some action where he's pretty unlucky/lucky where he stumbles on some necromancer evil cult who thinks he's with them, but they're the only ones that he actively tries to hunt or track down because he thinks they might have some clue on how to end him, but he just keeps bulldozing each leader.

Was it an anime or manga?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh boy, this week's Apothecary Diaries explains a whooooole lot about MaoMao's attitude towards palace officials, and offers to become a courtesan, and disguising her own looks, and about men in general

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nemo2342 posted:

The Ultimate Tank is pretty meh, or at least the manga was. It’s a more typical power fantasy where the MC is already super strong but just continues to get stronger, all for the sake of his sick little sister. While it’s probably not awful, the manga was so bland that I’d be hard pressed to give the anime a try, even as filler.

It's also one of those "I was fired from the Hero's party but then I discovered I had a secret power which is completely OP" fantasies, and everyone has RPG game stats.
It also has some dungeon management game elements going on, which I haven't seen before. So not only does he have to level up his own powers and his own party but now he has to level up the dungeon he's in control of so it'll generate new and bigger monsters to keep the town's economy growing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pan Dulce posted:

The medicine, once it gets to it, is pretty cool. It feels like a mixture of modern methodology with rudimentary materials of the past. Not gory at all, if you're expecting guts or something. If it follows the manwha, the story gets better and the cases get even more interesting.

Yeah they play the medicine angle pretty straight, it's set in a Napoleonic/pre-Industrial era where medical science is fairly well advanced but still a long way short of the modern era so she can pull off some fairly complicated surgeries and the other doctors are astonished but not completely bewildered. She comes across as a medical genius and not a wizard with godly powers

Pan Dulce posted:

Oh no, not Doctor Elise having a dance scene that’s EXTRA lovely, especially in comparison to 7th Time Loop, the other reincarnation anime.

Frieren also had a dance scene recently where the animators were straight up showing off, lol.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

trying to catch up Daigo alll the way from ep5 from last season

If you skip the OP and ED and the episode recaps the episodes are only 15 minutes long so you'll fly through them :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Solo Leveling is also super similar to I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in the Real World, Too in many ways with a bunch of other cliches mixed in (family member with an unnamed wasting disease he's desperate to cure, a hero registration org which is way too slow to realise the OP protag is a special case, etc)

It's still slightly above average, just go watch the big fight in the latest episode of A Tank with a Rare 9999 Resistance Skill Got Kicked from the Hero's Party if you need to be reminded what a generic low budget fantasy fight looks like. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

If there was a Discworld manga, I would welcome as many margin notes as possible

Or a Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy manga. It just wouldn't be an accurate adaptation without copious footnotes, with some of them going on for so long that they run onto another page

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving up translations of Pratchett's Discworld is something of a tradition anyway. Apparently the company that translated it into German inserted ads for a local brand of soup, and it turned out they'd been doing that regularly in their other translations for years: https://lithub.com/the-time-terry-pratchetts-german-publisher-inserted-a-soup-ad-into-his-novel/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

i skipped it, but watched a few clips of Moonlit Fantasy on youtube, a bit interested in starting it now.

Kwyndig posted:

I think everybody skipped that show due to isekai fatigue. Let us know if it's any good.

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember reading the manga and then the webnovel of moonlit fantasy, I think it does some pretty interesting things although I don't necessarily think it sticks the landing on all of it. I like the main cast of characters, and the mc himself is relatively normal as far as isekai protagonists go. His whole weird pocket dimension thing goes in a fascinating direction eventually but it's stuff that the anime and probably manga will never get to since it's so god drat far away. I remember the series went on hiatus while I was reading the webnovel and I think it has started back up again, but I haven't gone back yet.

iirc someone watching the new season said they start out season 2 with multiple episodes of backfilling necessary plot that was supposed to be in season 1 but got skipped to fit an entire arc into it, and so season 2 unfortunately starts off on the wrong foot.

But as far as overpowered isekai series go, as someone who has read waaaaay too many of them, it's definitely one of the ones I like more out of all of them.

There's a weird thing where the protagonist can speak every language in the fantasy world except Common so he can never talk directly with humans and has to magically generate visible speech bubbles for them to read whenever he has anything to say to them, which is an interesting twist but it gets old pretty quickly. There's a lot of fun scenes where his two main followers (who are actually disaster-class monsters evolved into human form) go absolutely ham and wreck entire city blocks by accident

And yeah, season 2 starts with several episodes of backfill which was annoying for weekly watchers but they should flow past pretty quickly if someone is catching up

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I feel that most genuine way to experience the "YUNGBLUD ft. Imagine Dragons anime" would be to watch it on Twitter

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brutal Garcon posted:

This week's Sasaki and Pii-chan was looking a bit rough, hope that's not a sign of some bigger problem

Oh drat you weren't kidding, lol

The soundtrack for the episode was also some of the most generic placeholder music I've ever heard

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Did Firefighter Daigo skip over a bunch of the story? Last episode they went from a scene with the two main characters eating dinner and home and jumped right into the middle of a risky rescue and I was expecting them to do a flashback to explain what's going on and why they decided to approach it like they did but nope, it just continued from the same point
E: I guess they did a tiny little amount of flashback but not enough to really explain what was going on

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 2, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spookydonut posted:

wow someone still watching it, not mocking you, but out of interest why did you keep watching?

It's a sports anime about saving people from disasters: Daigo keeps pulling out special firefighting finishing moves which he's been secretly practicing for years, he was inspired by a legendary player firefighter who was chased out of the scene because of his unorthodox style, he thought he could do it alone but eventually had to learn to rely on his team mates and comes to respect their unique skills, he's built up a cadre of competent competitors on opposing teams who all admire him for his determination and skills, etc etc. It's completely ridiculous while also 110% sincere, it's fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Hammer posted:

Bravern exiting a mission briefing by blasting a scene transition eyecatch only to cut back to the rest of the briefing room watching in silence.

Bravern making a speech and his theme music swells and all the soldiers going "..... where's that music coming from???"