Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am now processing the current nominees for the 2023 Kellies. With huge, huge thanks to user Microplastics, I now have an automated tool that handles the initial extraction of automations and just need to do some review.

...This review still may take a bit because according to the initial pass there were 947 nominations. I'll try to have the thread up by February 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kellies nomination: best edit/parody

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Marty Two Bulls

It's early but

Kellies nomination: best overall

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Microplastics posted:

I'm glad you brought this up because he does this all the goddamn time.

time for a compilation!!!

To his credit, the talking heads are always individually drawn and the toons have something like a coherent throughline and actual joke structures. It's a pretty conventional politoon format that's been around for a very long time-- I'm just more used to seeing it with panel dividers to clarify that sequence is occurring.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kavros posted:

It's weird to look at that signature, remember that name and realize "I knew the person who drew this, and they were awful and creepy to me"

They're perma'd now (finally), let's not give them more attention.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Pain-in-the-rear end Liberation Front

Gotta love the combination of attacking disruptive leftist protest while simultaneously making conspiracy theory claims about them being deep state puppets.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The common element of Rall's arguments are his work as a Russian propagandist, in this case in favor of trump, and more broadly toward civic disengagement. This is why there's been alignment with the general GOP cleavage approach here, which is to equivocate between the parties and discourage voting as futile. The direct targeting of the ballot removal process is also in alignment with relatively recent Russian messaging turns.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Jesus loving Christ.

Kellies nomination: worst overall

Pants Donkey posted:

This is a dude casually regretting his country didn’t just annihilate an entire region of people in the manner ones discusses regrets regarding a pest infestation. The comic has an unspeakably Nazi spirit; the kind of naked inhuman honesty you only use when other like-minded monsters are present.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 13, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Yeah holy poo poo this is literally the Bleached Bones "parody" cartoon.

I was going to say with better art this would be a Bors or something, but Bors wouldn't go that far and would be more understated.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Quoting that to go with the nomination. Also I'm using the holiday to process 2023 nominees. Pray for mojo (and bless microplastics).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Please don't repeat kellies noms, they get picked up by the automatic filter and I have to manually remove them. Joke categories are fine so long as you don't go overkill; again just remember someone's cataloguing all these.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 14, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Chip war by Ma Xuejing

Kellies nomination: Most inadvertently badass

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Progress report: internet outages slowed me down so I got through only 50, but I was able to do them very fast so I'm confident this process will be way faster than previous years. Thank you all for your patience. Microplastics I may PM you some bug reports; none of them are significant.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Also I think they use that font on most of their cartoons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Okay, after some review I am now extremely interested in the identities of Rivers and NEM0.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Right? I was actually slightly hesitant to post them; I have no problem with pseudonymity in general (that would be pretty damned hypocritical), but it does feel a bit weird to have unknown people doing this kind of political propaganda.

This may be a starting place. I'm not currently able to watch (and I think I may need to take some antacid first)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPkRQ-HA-2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pISO8_mF0wk

Rivers has been active since at least 2022, and they frustratingly have some artistic competence.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ffffuck you, Fishman.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is about equally as disingenuous a framing; both by proportion of participants and proportion of the overall population, using primary voters to reflect general election interest isn't valid.

the_steve posted:

Is there some sort of context I'm missing, or is this saying that avoiding toll booths is bad somehow? :psyduck:

Evasion is not avoidance. Think taxes: evasion means an illegal act, in this case taking the tolled road, bridge etc while not paying.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Our Finest Legal Minds Weigh a Vexing Constitutional Controversy

No doubt, Judge Learned Hand had a remarkable passion for the law. His brutal final years in crutches couldn't crush his enthusiasm for the court. But he had awful taste. More than any other Judge, Hand reinforced the hollow sentimentality and judicial restraint that compose the nasty side of the American character. Democratically oriented and politically unsophisticated, Hand was a sucker for the narrow precedent and speech freedoms brand of sappy watered-down-Formalist opinions, false odes to checks and balances that reinforce the toxic narrative that Americans (and their government) try to do the best they can. Hand was predeceased by his erstwhile sparring partner Oliver Wendell Holmes. Holmes gave "thumbs up" to cases like Buck v. Bell that challenge the ethical and political status quo. Hand belittled ground-breaking eugenics work by experimental researchers.

Hand wasn't that smart. I once spent hours with him discussing Brandenburg v. Ohio. He disagreed when I said it was boring, that Brandenburg is unreadable now. But he couldn't articulate why I was wrong. He kept pointing to the case's historical importance, which I didn't dispute. A lot of judges are sharper than Hand was. Now that his death has opened up space in print and on the bench, it would be good if other, more audacious voices were allowed to be heard.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

I do not get this at all.

First couple panels are about how Keir Starmer has done generic image-polishing humanizing statements. The rest is about how the Tories are just self-destructing and all he has to do is not draw any attention to himself.

e:f;b

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

If only this statement were made in a medium that could somehow express it in a visual, representative way instead of through text. Ah, well, I suppose such things are impossible.

Are you sure you want that?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kellies nomination: Worst label.

also, se.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Linehan is a fantastic example of the same mechanism as Tats where transphobia in particular seems to rapidly supercharge a descent into insanity.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Clerical Terrors posted:

What is the "Black National Anthem"?

Lift Every Voice and Sing. NFL has sometimes played it in addition to (not instead of) the national anthem during pregame ceremonies at major event, basically as deflective pandering.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

And as written he’s able to falsely imply exclusivity.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Central to the decision to stop posting stonetoss (and, I'd note, the crew of related cartoonists in stonetoss's orbit) was that it was cryptoracist and fascist, periodically including comics that looked like standard internet "relatable" jokes and loaded with multiple levels of varyingly obscure racist symbolism. By design, it served as a pretty effective onramp for the alt-right even when it was being mocked or counterargued, because it was still getting more attention.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 29, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kellies nomination: most accidentally badass

Phlegmish posted:

Cleverly, although not very originally, using East Asians as a positive example, presumably to deflect accusations of racism (although I don't see why that would suddenly be a concern).

Stonetoss isn't the worst cartoonist in terms of presentation, but I can't imagine him ever becoming popular to any significant degree. You have to be immersed really, really deep into the Culture War™ to hold all of these extreme positions at once. Seems like there will always be things in there that get received poorly even by the general 'chud' audience.

Again, the problem is that the goal isn't to get people to hold all those positions at once- especially not quickly. It's cryptofascism. It's an onboarding process for bigotry. It works.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 29, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Catellite posted:

I see someone accidentally submitted their audition for Mark Trail.

Taylor Jones is principally known for his caricature work and including birds or other animals in his work- not sure who Dee Dee is.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Did you know? Rivers publishes comics anonymously exclusively for Cagle Cartoons. What could be the motivations for someone to publish cartoons anonymously?

I fully expect them to deny the holocaust by the end of the year.

FWIW my impression is Cagle is desperate for money. A good moment to remind folks: please, wherever possible, pay for your news and original journalism.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Carmen apparently has Ameloblastoma. Clean up your loving fill tool.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

What I think is very funny about stuff like this is it's "super potent pot" not like, that pot you smoked in the 60s. That ditch weed was okay. This new science weed gizmo that the kids are using is a national crisis

THC content has increased due to commercial pressures, and there are also newfound problems of adulteration with other psychoactives at advertised scale. More broadly, legalization and tracking (particularly in Europe) has substantiated causation for what was long suspected based on correlation; it appears to cause psychosis, especially in young men, and higher potency makes the issue worse. Examples of support for this finding are here and here. So, yeah, if there's a broad generational uptake of a substance that appears to cause psychosis in a significant portion of users, that's not great.

A minor effortpost on the cannabis situation from last year:

Discendo Vox posted:

Cannabis legalization and regulation is not as simple as conservatives and out of touch old pols trying to block the devil lettuce, and it hasn't been for decades. The entire ongoing clusterfuck, including the various state legalization efforts, are the product of billions upon billions of dollars from some of the filthiest money and interests out there, all looking to profit from different legalization models. The incredibly long and winding process by which this has occurred is for two primary reasons:

1) Burns-like, these competing interests each are looking for different regulatory structures that will benefit them and close out the market to others. The tobacco companies trying to create a sideline through e-cigs want different laws from the OTC drug companies, who want different laws from the prescription drug companies with existing IP, who want different laws from the "legacy market" (read: organized crime), who want different laws from the alt-med and supplement companies, who want different laws from the pure VC groups and techlords. Each of these sets have cross-funding and pollination, all feeding through several dozen lobbying and trade association and "consumer advocate" groups.

2) There's actual public health concern. Cannabis isn't as addictive as other stuff on schedule 1, but it still hits a lot of addiction markers and qualifies as carrying abuse potential (including under the frameworks applied by DEA and HHS, which is why this is getting recommended at Schedule 3 and not for full descheduling). The really, really unpleasant elephant in the room, though, is data showing cannabis having a causal role in the development of schizophrenia. At this point (particularly with cohort data from countries with broader legal use, such as this study), it's clear that while the mechanism isnt well-characterized (and it doesn't hit everyone equally), it's pretty clear it's causal and not correlational (so it's not, for example, people having a tendency to self-medicate for early symptoms of development). Most of the industry groups under 1) aren't very interested in a regulatory setting that addresses that side of the equation. Regulations that would address it are made much messier because so far every indication is the mechanism is way worse in men than women.

FDA's seeking a whole new harm reduction framework and authority to try to handle cannabis and related products; it's unclear that it would work versus creating a new avenue for industry capture.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 1, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

There is certainly a lot of interesting research being done on cannabis at present, which is actually a pretty good thing. But let's be real honest about how "cannabis use disorder is associated with a slightly higher incidence of schizophrenia, with the highest statistical significance in the 16-20 age group" is not the same thing as "marijuana causes schizophrenia."

Lifetime prevalence of alcohol use disorder among patients with schizophrenia is around 25%. That doesn't mean "alcohol causes schizophrenia".

The articles I've cited cite in turn the epidemiological, statistical and biological bases for causation, and provide specific estimates of the scope of causation. The Lancet article (which is better crafted and includes multiple responses to similar attacks in the correspondence), having established why causation can be assumed, provides this estimate:

quote:

Variations in patterns of cannabis use across the sites translated into differences in the proportion of new cases of psychotic disorder attributable to cannabis use. We estimated, assuming causality, that 20% of new cases of psychotic disorder across all our sites could have been prevented if daily use of cannabis had been abolished; the PAF for daily use was 21% for London, similar to that previously reported,3 but ranged from 44% in Amsterdam to 6% in Palermo. The local availability of high-potency types of cannabis resulted in a PAF of 50% for Amsterdam and 30% for London. Therefore, assuming causality, if high-potency cannabis were no longer accessible, the adjusted incidence rates for all psychotic disorder in Amsterdam would drop from 37·9 to 18·8 cases per 100 000 person-years and in London from 45·7 to 31·9 cases per 100 000 person-years.

Vib Rib posted:

Agnostic of any other specific thing here, I really just hate the whole line of argument Horsey is using here. It's the same childish logic so many idiots use everywhere.
"You think this thing isn't dangerous? Hmmmm, that reminds me of this other thing people thought wasn't dangerous... but it was!" Cool, so from now on anything people say is harmless is actually dangerous.
"Oh you think this new 'shoot yourself in the dick' invention is dumb? Well you know, people said that about the WRIGHT BROTHERS and their FLYING MACHINE!" Like the logic is a good invention was scoffed at once so if anyone scoffs at an invention it'll be good.

Horsey's making the comparison specifically in terms of the industry selling the product; it's particularly apt in this case because tobacco is one of the (admittedly, many) major funding crossovers for the cannabis industry. This is also true for kratom, which is blowing up the news- lots of former tobacco folks working with tobacco spinoff funds. The same rhetorical playbook is in use.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 1, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

As I understand it, the "immigration crisis" is basically Republicans claiming every person crossing the border is doing so illegally, when it's normally just asylum seekers. But they're all men in their 20s, which is extremely suspicious that a person of prime working age would go to another country to seek work. Why aren't we seeing more elderly women? Makes you think.

And Biden is like still deporting and doing most of the lovely stuff his predecessor did, except being less racist about it, but that doesn't win elections, so nearly four years of fearmongering about "invasions" and the "porous border". Ignoring that most of the criminal elements of immigration do not even happen on foot but via air or even by the Canadian border. And Biden isn't doing his duty because he's not actively telling the military to kill every immigrant on sight.

Is that the simple gist of it?

It's a bit more complicated because the asylum procedure isn't intended for people seeking work, and the current practices around it do create a perverse incentive; some relevant effort on the subject:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The border is pretty much boned until we fix the legal immigration process or people stop wanting to come to America. You can try to militarize the border and that might make it more orderly, but it is just going to result in the pre-2016 status quo of people sneaking across en masse instead of turning themselves in at the border - which is worse both in terms of the journey for the people and also likely to result in more illegal immigrants untracked and unsupported in the U.S. for the people who want to keep them out. Although, I guess it would be a success of stopping videos of huge amounts of people turning themselves in at border crossings if that was your goal.

The main problems with the border right now are:

- The ways to legally get into the U.S. for the sole purpose of making money/improving your quality of life are almost all totally shut out and the few that remain either require an employer sponsor or take 7+ years.

- Claiming asylum will stop you from getting kicked out of the U.S. temporarily, but "my quality of life would be much higher" doesn't qualify for asylum.

- This results in basically everyone claiming asylum because it is the only way to not get turned around right away.

- The asylum process was always slow, but it was also only meant to process groups that are 1/10th the size of them coming across right now.

- Trying to crack down on all the people claiming asylum "just" because it would significantly improve their life or economic situation leads to people with real asylum claims getting massively screwed.

- The asylum process has become the weird de facto official immigration process and it basically encourages people to mass the border and lie, which requires huge amounts of effort to handle and verify.

There are several options you can do:

- Fix the normal immigration process and guest worker/economic green card/H1-B Visa processes. They are currently capped at 85k per year, which is less than 10% of the total demand each year. That will allow more people into the country and take the huge weight off of the asylum process to better handle actual asylum cases.

- Make it basically impossible and horribly punishing to attempt to cross the border illegally or to try and claim asylum unless you have 100% proof and hope that doing this for a period of years will crush demand by making sure you have successful enforcement as high as possible so people think it isn't worth it.

- Massively expand the asylum system to meet capacity and basically just use a really broken and unwieldy system that was not intended for it as the "unofficial official" immigration process.

Several of those things are basically impossible and nobody wants to do all three of them at the same time, so :shrug:. Instead, we just kind of hobble along with an outdated system and every attempt to update it since 1987 (37 years ago!!!) has failed.

Many Republicans just object to the idea of letting more of the "wrong" people into the country, so expanding the legal processes is a non-starter and can't even be negotiated. Most Democrats want to be compassionate and help people in the immediate-term, so the focus has been entirely on asylum-seekers and how to basically use the asylum process for an unintended purpose.

That sort of makes sense in the short-term, but it also hobbles the legal process in the long-term and results in both sides basically just attempting to inefficiently use the asylum process to weaponize their preferred political outcomes at the expense of legal and undocumented immigrants and actual asylum seekers who all get stuck in one inefficient process together because people kind of gave up on comprehensive immigration reform. It also teaches people who want to come to America that they need to use the asylum process and lie instead of going the legal route because the legal process is a complete waste of time unless you have 7-12 years, some money, and a lot patience to gamble that it works out for you.

Main Paineframe posted:

The border authorities really are getting overwhelmed, though. That's why his "shut down the border" offer is paired with literally doubling the current asylum officer workforce and increase the number of immigration judges by about 50%, so they can start whittling down the ~1 million pending asylum applications still in the queue and clear the massive years-long immigration court backlog. Especially since polls are showing that voters think immigration is one of the most important issues to them coming into this election.

1600 new asylum officers and 375 new immigration judges doesn't sound like much, but the US currently has 1600 asylum officers and ~600 immigration judges, total.

The average wait time to get an asylum application heard right now is around four years. The system desperately needs either more resources, a reduction of the number of people coming into it, or a major rework to decrease the administrative workload of each case.

The asylum situation is a version in microcosm of the procedural and incentive systems that make immigration intractable as a policy issue (and therefore a popular wedge for Republicans): advocate groups on both "sides" of the issue have an incentive for the system to not work in different ways. In particular, as an individual case adjudicative system where if you are advocating for individuals, you have an incentive for the processing of removal to not work. On a collective advocacy level, inducing or promoting dysfunction in the system is a way for both pro-immigrant groups and anti-immigrant groups to advocate for their preferred "reforms".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Islamic Shock posted:

drat shame nobody wants to actually fix immigration because at the bare minimum, it seems like taking the policy of "let's expand the legal immigration process you guys always say you wish so badly they'd go through the first place to greatly reduce the demand for illegal immigration you definitely hate" would at the very least be a useful blunt weapon.

To some degree that's the angle the administration is seeking by pursuing improved processing capacity, something that was needed long before the rate of entry through asylum application blew up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Indiana_Krom posted:

The truth is the border crisis and debt will completely cease to exist the exact zeptosecond a republican takes office in the white house, and will not return again until the exact zeptosecond a democrat takes office in the white house, just as it has always been.

Republicans/conservatives love to complain about the border crisis/debt, but they absolutely hate any idea of actually doing anything about them. "No! Not that way!"

A conservative in another internet forum I used to frequent seriously suggested putting machine gun nests/emplacements all along the border (and this was back in the Obama years). So basically any realistic solution proposed to address the border crisis will fail with republicans/conservatives because it would not be nearly racist enough to get their support.

For all the reasons I already posted above, the immigration case processing system has actual, severe, problems that exist in reality independent of whether or not it's being used for a particular narrative.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Pedro X. Molina

Kellies nomination: Laziest non-Gorrell

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Carlos Latuff

Now that's interesting...this is for a brand new outlet targeting Kuwait, it went live in just the last couple months. That flag's associated with the Houthis. The articles are about what you'd expect; there's an notable emphasis on the Houthis in the material I skimmed, but I can't tell who's running it. The format lets you know they're running that weird expensive propaganda report book format that's popular in the region.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 4, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

JamesBont posted:

Ladies, Gentlemen, and the technicolor rainbow in-between...

From this day forth, I will post the weekly ramblings of a racist rear end in a top hat whose racist rear end in a top hat father was president decades ago and should have served time in prison for high treason...Michael Reagan!

TL;DR: Yeah Trump is a stupid rear end in a top hat that will all but certainly turn our country into a fascist dictatorship...but at least he'll keep out all the scary brown people!

This is the wrong thread. Maybe try right wing media.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

JamesBont posted:

Can you link me to that, please? Sorry
thisaway:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512233

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Making steady progress on the ~1000 2023 Kellies entries, but I'm going to have to do several additional cleaning passes. Also, declaring by fiat: I gotta axe the "gently caress you" category, it completely swamped things for about a month. Microplastics' toolset is making it possible for me to process this many entries at all, but I am having to do manual splits on dozens of rage-filled "gently caress" multi-category, multi-cartoon posts.

edit: for reference we are already at 89 posts with entries so far this year.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 5, 2024