Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the largest number?
View Results

• Locked thread
Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

darealkooky posted:

yeah but none of that stuff fixes fundamental flaws the game has like tink, felonies, waiting 200 years to get all the pirate maps to unlock land of carnage, having to grind through every tier of a class to unlock the next tier and a weak soundtrack/encounter design compared to basically every other disgaea game

2 has the best item world soundtrack of any disgaea game and thats where i spend most of my disgaea time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That applies to everyone, unless they are freaks who only like the main game.

Disgaea 2 had some issue with having two soundtracks depending on language settings. Do you want it in English and hear midi versions of awesome songs? Do you want to prevent certain cutscenes from appearing when you beat certain bosses?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

dude ive no idea who made tales of xilia but i bought it on some random sale cos wtf not and holy crap.

its a good rear end game and i need to play 2

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

also tales of the abyss loving sucks so much... its the only 3ds game i own i stopped playing midway

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

also tales of the abyss loving sucks so much... its the only 3ds game i own i stopped playing midway

It keeps getting worse. So you made the right choice.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
tales of the abyss is a game where everything that happens is because at least one person didn't mention incredibly useful information to literally anyone else for no legtimate reason

it is a never-ending game of plot points that only happen because everyone involved is a dumbass and it also wants you to take it really very seriously, it's a bad combination

Brasseye posted:

2 has the best item world soundtrack of any disgaea game and thats where i spend most of my disgaea time.

that song was cool and all but it was basically the only memorable song in the whole game and you can use it as the item world music in every other disgaea game so w/e

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
every single tales game is like that

HRM, I wonder if I should tell this party that the McGuffin of End the Game is under my couch. Naw they'll figure it out

Hmm the guy travelling with those nice kids is the spitting image of Deathfucker the Worldender XVIII. Eh, it's probably nothing.

Hey I know the ending plot and will brood. if anyone cares, i will sigh and say "it's nothing"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
i have not played many tales games, but in symphonia the only people who don't tell you stuff for no reason are explicitly trying to betray you or it doesn't have literal world ending consequences that they're hiding information from you

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

nice new av OP

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Awesome! posted:

nice new av OP

thank you very much! gem fighter is an extremely good game that i recommend for people who don't like memorizing fighting game stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
for people who dont like memorizing fighting game stuff i recommend Not Being a Huge Baby Noob by George R. R. Martin

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)

Countblanc posted:

for people who dont like memorizing fighting game stuff i recommend Not Being a Huge Baby Noob by George R. R. Martin

That's not a real book.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Cladun x2 is really good

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
RISE, NIS THREAD

where do i grind in disgaea 3 early on, the next map is all level 20 dudes and my best person is seriously level 13, and the wiki methods look like pains in the rear end

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
http://store.nisamerica.com/

Oh look who's having a huge sale right now?

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot

Doctor Goat posted:

RISE, NIS THREAD

where do i grind in disgaea 3 early on, the next map is all level 20 dudes and my best person is seriously level 13, and the wiki methods look like pains in the rear end

the ITem World

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Squelch Hardon posted:

Cladun x2 is really good

Agreed.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

inexpensive meal posted:

the ITem World

whty didin't i think of this, jesus i'm dumb sometimes

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot
Phantom brave is pretty decent on a phone.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Squelch Hardon posted:

Cladun x2 is really good

the risk of losing a shitton of rare items means delving in a dungeon is actually really exciting sometimes

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I never beat NIS games. Somewhere between point A and B, the magic ends for me.:smith:

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Squelch Hardon posted:

Cladun x2 is really good

I put this on my Steam wishlist ages ago but never grabbed it because it never goes on sale. Anyone know what it's like on PC? I've seen some janky PSP ports.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Quirkk posted:

I put this on my Steam wishlist ages ago but never grabbed it because it never goes on sale. Anyone know what it's like on PC? I've seen some janky PSP ports.

It's got insane jap port job controls but other than that it's alright.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I just had all the enemies on a map merge without me being involved and get stuck on a 10% higher level panel and it was level 500ish by the time it was done, and my highest level dude was 40

it ran onto a reverse damage panel so i healed it almost to death and I think combined attacks ignore defense or something because my thief and my alraune managed to finish it off with a combined special

rip wind mage enemy, dead by autismal combat techniques

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 9, 2014

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Wormskull posted:

It's got insane jap port job controls but other than that it's alright.

The controls make it mad awful.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Vhak lord of hate posted:

The controls make it mad awful.

I found it tolerable with a PS2 controller and joy2key.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Doctor Goat posted:

I just had all the enemies on a map merge without me being involved and get stuck on a 10% higher level panel and it was level 500ish by the time it was done, and my highest level dude was 40

it ran onto a reverse damage panel so i healed it almost to death and I think combined attacks ignore defense or something because my thief and my alraune managed to finish it off with a combined special

i had this happen and boy howdy its nice early game

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
should i do disgaea 3 postgame stuff or move to disgaea 4

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Doctor Goat posted:

In Disgaea 1 during one of the Mid-Boss fights, one of those 3X boosted archers did 10000 damage to the character who murdered Prinny Baal.

I had a Mid-Boss fight in Disgaea 2 last 60 turns, because my team couldn't hurt him at all until Taro stood still for 15 turns. He is a tank among tanks.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

darealkooky posted:

tales of the abyss is a game where everything that happens is because at least one person didn't mention incredibly useful information to literally anyone else for no legtimate reason

it is a never-ending game of plot points that only happen because everyone involved is a dumbass and it also wants you to take it really very seriously, it's a bad combination

I like the part when they yell at the idiot manchild (literally a manchild) after he kills a poo poo ton of people while keeping him in the dark about almost everything until that point in the game. My memory of the game is about fussy but I'm pretty sure the whole situation could've been averted if they actually bothered to communicate. The cast in that game sucked.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Doctor Goat posted:

should i do disgaea 3 postgame stuff or move to disgaea 4

why even play a disgaea game if not for the postgame? On the other hand I think disgaea 4 is the most well regarded disgaea game while disgaea 3 is the least one (I only played 1 and 2) so there is that.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

program666 posted:

why even play a disgaea game if not for the postgame? On the other hand I think disgaea 4 is the most well regarded disgaea game while disgaea 3 is the least one (I only played 1 and 2) so there is that.

I can see why people aren't too fond of Disgaea 3 but the classroom/clubs mechanic was one of my favourite parts of it and I wish they'd kept it or used something similar. So much better than the mentor system they used before.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
4 is so much better than 3 in every way, Id just go straight onto that if you have it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Disgaea 3's postgame is really wonky on levels and I don't know what they were thinking

i'm a little annoyed that Master Bigster lost his enemy levels when he joined me because he was at my party's average level and would have been entirely acceptable + not broken in that state, but instead he reverted to his plot level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
disgaea 3 was worth playing but after getting laharl's crew i'm bored with it. I do like how everyone past Salvatore in the D3 postgame joins you with the same stats/gear as they have as bosses but it wants me to do a bunch of annoying stuff to unlock Baal/Land of Carnage so gently caress it

i've started 4 again and Valvatorez/Fenrich are way better as main characters storywise and the new sprite style is really good. I like the classroom layout more than the Cam-pain thing but cam-pain has some sick potential like the Heart's Friend mechanic that lets you get tons of free attacks if you lay stuff out right

• Locked thread