Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yaws posted:

When the state you live in doesn't have a team, you tend to pick the close one. I live in northern Iowa so we have a lot of Viking and Packer fans

This isn't the case if your state in general has a bit of little brother syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
How much do you know about Iowa?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I know it's a flyover state.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

WHOOPS posted:

That's about it.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

WHOOPS posted:

Corn, pigs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
more or less all you need, but it is little brother as gently caress with Minnesota, which is like the saddest thing ever. Most people are still fans of close teams if only because they're on TV a lot and easy to follow. Most of the state is Packer/Vikings/Chiefs fans with a decent number of Bears fans in the Eastern part.

Personally I never felt any more connected to those places than I did to Dallas or anywhere else not in Iowa so gently caress those dumb teams.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

Titans longsnapper

I bet you the Titans coach (who is that nowadays?) even has to check the depth chart for that guys name.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

MourningView posted:

more or less all you need, but it is little brother as gently caress with Minnesota, which is like the saddest thing ever. Most people are still fans of close teams if only because they're on TV a lot and easy to follow. Most of the state is Packer/Vikings/Chiefs fans with a decent number of Bears fans in the Eastern part.

Personally I never felt any more connected to those places than I did to Dallas or anywhere else not in Iowa so gently caress those dumb teams.

Let's play find the worst fan in Iowa!

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 9, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Chichevache posted:

I bet you the Titans coach (who is that nowadays?) even has to check the depth chart for that guys name.

His name is Beau Brinkley! He went to Mizzou!

(he responded to me on twitter after I made the same joke)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

And not just one game of terrible officiating. There were some really bad calls @ Packers and @ Patriots as well. Game changing ones like sketchy touchdowns, 2 point conversions being taken away, and non-converting fourth downs that were good (two of them in the Patriots game IIRC, Ebron and another). The Suh meltdown against Rodgers happened after the lovely circumstances too. The game was lost at that point.

You will never, ever convince me that NFL officiating doesn't have an institutional bias for large market teams.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Let's play find the worst fan in Iowa!

lmao no one in iowa cares about hockey or the royals

Basketball is probably mostly Bulls fans, but baseball is almost all Cubs/Cards. Althought you could replace the Royals with the Cards there and make more or less the same point.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Febreeze posted:

His name is Beau Brinkley! He went to Mizzou!

(he responded to me on twitter after I made the same joke)

What did he say?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Eifert Posting posted:

You will never, ever convince me that NFL officiating doesn't have an institutional bias for large market teams.

I'll go ahead and try anyways, I guess. There are real numbers to show that isn't true: http://www.nflpenalties.com/

2014's most-penalized teams: Seattle, Detroit, Buffalo, St. Louis, Denver, Washington, New England (all 120+)
2013's most-penalized: Seattle, Denver, St. Louis, Tampa, San Francisco, Oakland, Houston, Baltimore, Buffalo, Detroit

2014's least-penalized teams: Jacksonville, New Orleans, Miami, Kansas City, Carolina, Green Bay (wow look at all those huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge markets)
2013's least-penalized teams: Miami, Minnesota, Indy, New England, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Carolina, Green Bay

The correlation between a team's penalties from one year to the next is pretty high -- 0.46

NFL officiating doesn't benefit large market teams, but it does benefit the home team in a given game, usually to the tune of about 1 flag per game.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

"Heh...collectin' that paycheck!"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

lmao no one in iowa cares about hockey or the royals

I'd imagine this wasn't true early in the 80s, the Royals did a pretty good job of making no one in the world other than a few die hard people in KC care about them for 25 years there.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Did anyone ever determine what caused him to smug-chuckle?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

CowboyKid posted:

The comedy of the 2013 Jaguars

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

CowboyKid posted:

I think it was a missed Jaguars field goal, though I could be misremembering

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine this wasn't true early in the 80s, the Royals did a pretty good job of making no one in the world other than a few die hard people in KC care about them for 25 years there.

Maybe but I'm relatively sure it's always been mostly Cubs and Cardinals. The AAA team has been associated with the Cubs for a long time and WHO used to broadcast the big league team's games (one of Ronald Regan's first jobs was calling Cubs games for them off a ticker tape that gave him the play by play). And the Cardinals have always been huge all over the midwest and the south because their radio station had one of the strongest signals in the country and covered a huge area (and they won a shitload)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
In my only year living in Iowa it was Cubs and Bears all day every day but I was in Iowa City which got a ton of students from Chicago and its suburbs so my sample size was biased.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Febreeze posted:

Oh right, I forgot about the game when everyone praised his performance and gunslinger throws because of how unusual it was compared to everything Alex Smith normally is, a game that he lost anyway because Andrew Luck proved to be more interesting

You can't call a QB exciting and fun because of two good games. That second game was interesting for the Colts comeback anyway, not really because of Smith. When I think of that game I think of the Chiefs choking and Luck's fumble TD

I also think of seeing Bowe scorch his guy down the sideline and Smith miss the throw that would have ended the comeback and put the game away

e2: actually looking at it it was really Bowe's fault, carry on. The throw was a little behind him but he should have been able to get his foot down

http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/0ap2000000309135/Dwayne-Bowe-can-t-toe-the-sideline

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 10, 2015

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Chromatic posted:

When does his Alex Smith toxx expire? I want an essay on how much he hates him and how it's starting to bleed into his personal life.

Also yes, Alex Smith unleashed the dragon in the Colts game - for one half. Once the 2nd half came about he returned to his normal self. It seemed like an anomaly but he absolutely was a big reason that game wasn't a fanbase killing slaughter.

It ends at either the draft or training camp. I can't remember offhand, I'd have to go back and check, but I'm at work now until 8 am and just on my phone.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

wheez the roux posted:

this gif is proof that an image can sound like norm macdonald

Heh. Turd Ferguson. It's a funny name.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'll go ahead and try anyways, I guess. There are real numbers to show that isn't true: http://www.nflpenalties.com/

2014's most-penalized teams: Seattle, Detroit, Buffalo, St. Louis, Denver, Washington, New England (all 120+)
2013's most-penalized: Seattle, Denver, St. Louis, Tampa, San Francisco, Oakland, Houston, Baltimore, Buffalo, Detroit

2014's least-penalized teams: Jacksonville, New Orleans, Miami, Kansas City, Carolina, Green Bay (wow look at all those huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge markets)
2013's least-penalized teams: Miami, Minnesota, Indy, New England, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Carolina, Green Bay

The correlation between a team's penalties from one year to the next is pretty high -- 0.46

NFL officiating doesn't benefit large market teams, but it does benefit the home team in a given game, usually to the tune of about 1 flag per game.

I don't see Dallas

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Chromatic posted:

I have a feeling he carries conversations with his friends(?) the same way he talks to the media after the game. Going fishing with him for an afternoon would probably be exhausting.

Edit: Smith still isn't the most boring QB when you've got poo poo like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJmEsqo2Ug

"Mango Habanero? Oof, that's a little much for me" :lol:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

The best wing sauce there by miles

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Randandal posted:

I don't see Dallas

Dallas is dead-center

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

The Red Rifle is a Sweet BBQ kinda guy. When he's feeling dangerous he kicks it up a notch to Mild.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Chromatic posted:

When does his Alex Smith toxx expire? I want an essay on how much he hates him and how it's starting to bleed into his personal life.

Also yes, Alex Smith unleashed the dragon in the Colts game - for one half. Once the 2nd half came about he returned to his normal self. It seemed like an anomaly but he absolutely was a big reason that game wasn't a fanbase killing slaughter.

Training camp. Long, long time from now. But, I'll have a nice post ready!

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Parmesan Basil posted:

Training camp. Long, long time from now. But, I'll have a nice post ready!

That will probably deserve its own thread.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 10, 2015

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
I still think making that Toxx is one of the best things that I have ever done. I'm biased, but... Both him having to hold it in all season long and the eruption that will happen when it's over? :allears:

Chromatic posted:

That will probably deserve its own thread.

:agreed:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Alex Smith is terrible and boring

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nodoze posted:

Alex Smith is terrible and boring

He's no Matt Cassel, that's for sure.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

blue squares posted:

Dallas is dead-center

But the narrative :qq:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Morons will just argue that it isn't the quantity of penalties, but the importance of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Hahaha people in Oklahoma looking down on other states :ironicat:

• Locked thread