Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

December is a bad time to try to sell anything used really, especially cars. Around the holidays people are buying poo poo for christmas.

I know, bad decisions... bad time of the year, bad season (Winter has started here, so there are wrecks a-plenty to pick from because people can't drive on snow), bad upcoming used car market, etc. I really didn't want to hang on to it until February or March and have the used car market tank and actually take a loss. That would not do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah, Volvo's been riveting speakers since the 80's. At least now they put in plastic adapters like that where you can fit an aftermarket speaker in there and it's the right size and bolt pattern. A while back they would have odd bolt patterns and odd sizes, and it was a mess of home-made adapters and covers to get anything aftermarket in there.

On my friends pos Seat we just used windshield goop to glue in replacement speakers because either the speakers we took out of a Mitsubishi Galant had non standard bolt patterns or the Seat did. Worked great honestly, but lol if you ever would have to replace those speakers again.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cached Money posted:

On my friends pos Seat we just used windshield goop to glue in replacement speakers because either the speakers we took out of a Mitsubishi Galant had non standard bolt patterns or the Seat did. Worked great honestly, but lol if you ever would have to replace those speakers again.

"Screw the next guy" can sometimes be a viable option.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meatpimp posted:

Sold it. Worked too hard for $500 profit, but it's an albatross removed from the garage.

Just bad timing -- it got cold here, so my wife's car was outside, I grossly miscalculated the number of vultures I'd run into selling a salvage car (I've sold dozens of clean title cars, I never realized the market is so different between the two...).

Learning experience. Time to get selling all of the auction stuff I bought last week and enjoying a full-on break from working.

I fear trying to sell my AE86 because of low-baller dingleberries, so now I'm stuck reupping the reg and inspection (and insurance) for another year...

Rhyno posted:

selling stuff is too much trouble these days. i just packed up a fuckload of toys and nerd poo poo and instead of going slow on Mercari i'm taking it all to a shop to dump in one go. i need to have as much free time as possible

I have a poo poo-ton of GI Joe (the '80s 6" stuff) that I should really get rid of, but *effort*.
I'll probably dump it on my cousin for his boss' comic shop to sell, if they'll take it. I loved the stuff as a kid, but I don't have anywhere to display it all, and I'm a manchild enough as-is, what with the Hot Wheels and Lego. And model cars. And other action figures, props... Oy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remind me whereabouts in TX you are again? There's definitely places to avoid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Remind me whereabouts in TX you are again? There's definitely places to avoid.

DFW. I'm specifically thinking Keith's Comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

DFW. I'm specifically thinking Keith's Comics.

I'd say Dallas Vintage Toys is the better option.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Welp...Guess it was just a matter of time, sorry Rhyno hope you get some help to work poo poo out.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

meatpimp posted:

"Screw the next guy" can sometimes be a viable option.

It was a beater anyways so no one would probably ever have to replace those speakers before it ended up in the scrap yard (which it did, not long after my friend sold it).

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
You made the right decision. Screw body work, and screw frame work. There's plenty of things I love about fixing cars but body work ain't one of em.

What's next?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'd say Dallas Vintage Toys is the better option.

Well, yes, but my cousin isn't a manager there.

edit:

Adiabatic posted:

You made the right decision. Screw body work, and screw frame work. There's plenty of things I love about fixing cars but body work ain't one of em.

What's next?

Seconded.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yo thread, it's been a while. I haven't done car stuff. My wife's RDX has two broken bolts, one in each sway bar bracket, and they're both going to be bitches to drill and replace. That's on my back burner. Also, my wife's RDX has some weird moaning at speeds under 30mph, sounds like some front drivetrain binding. I've never had it aligned and there's some wear on the inside of the front wheels, so I think the suspension may have just settled and needs realigned. That's on my front burner, but I haven't gotten to it in months...

The Escalade is still doing GMT800 things. I turned it into a high mileage car yesterday:

I also scratched it when I was juggling equipment and stuff while moving my son into his apartment at school yesterday. Sad face. But, I fixed it:

Since April, I've been pretty much singularly focused on building a deck. At ~650sqft with a 12'x24' covered section, it's a big job.

It started with holes:

I had hoped to be done in July, but at mid-August, I know I'll still be working on finishing it in October. I'm getting really close to getting some decking down, so that's good. I think I'll start a thread in the HCH forum. I have a contractor neighbor that said he'd quote the job at $60k in April, he took a look at it last week and said that it's a good thing I did it myself, because nobody would get to the overbuilding and detail I'm shooting for without costing much more. We'll see how it turns out.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Depending on what direction your covered section's openings/windows are going to be facing, you might want to consider skylighting. My parents had a North & East facing covered porch at a similar geographic latitude, and on overcast days it would be pretty gloomy in there most of the day (until they had it redone and added skylights.) Unless of course your method is going to be an awning or whatever.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

$60K. For a deck.
I don't care for this reality.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah what's your budget for DIY? Are you tracking hours to see if the quote was at all realistic?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Depending on what direction your covered section's openings/windows are going to be facing, you might want to consider skylighting. My parents had a North & East facing covered porch at a similar geographic latitude, and on overcast days it would be pretty gloomy in there most of the day (until they had it redone and added skylights.) Unless of course your method is going to be an awning or whatever.

It's going to be a 12'x24' gable roof with ridge beam facing North/South. Light is concern of my wife's, I think it'll be fine. We'll see. If it ends up too gloomy, I'll do a gable at 90* and open up the West facing side.

Darchangel posted:

$60K. For a deck.
I don't care for this reality.

Indeed.

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah what's your budget for DIY? Are you tracking hours to see if the quote was at all realistic?

I was shooting for $15k, probably going to end up creeping on $20k.

Time... ugh. I have spend ALL of my time since May on this. A lot of the components are heavy, like using a 16" hydraulic auger by myself, and hauling 6x6x12' posts around, and getting the heavy poo poo in place. It's mostly just me working on it, so every operation takes 2 or 3 times the amount of time it should take, because I've got to clamp up or tie up one side where something goes, only to go to the other side and secure it, then secure the first side. Hard to explain, but 3 people working on this would cut the time immeasurably.

It's a good thing that I value my time at $0.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

My parents have a deck maybe 1/2 your size and wanted it redone. The frame is still good so all the quotes they got were just for the flooring, railings, and stairs and they were all around $20K - $25K. So yeah, $60K for a new deck from scratch of that size seems realistic.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Please start a thread on it, I want to see. I built a deck by myself a couple of years ago, and that also took for loving ever.

And amen to the sucks-to-be-working-single-handedly. I used to moonlight for a dude who renovated his entire house, and it was blatantly obvious that being two people is way more than twice as efficient as being one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Thread started. Feel my pain.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4043407

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I've had a leak from the Escalade's washer fluid reservoir for about 10 months. I hemmed and hawed about what to do with it... whether to troubleshoot and fix the specific leak point, or shotgun it.

Shotgun won. I got a new reservoir, new front punp, new back pump, reused the fluid level sensor (if I would have known its condition, I would have replaced that, too.

Out with the old:

Replacement was simple, other than the bent pin on one pump that I didn't find until I put everything back together. So... I took it apart again. First real time I used my Milwaukee M12 ratchet, and that makes stuff like the battery tray, which is held down by 7 bolts, a breeze. And, I love working on this and finding areas that should be rusted, but aren't... here's a 18 year old original battery tray:

If this had been in Ohio all of its life, it would be hole-y.

Oh yeah, the fluid level sensor worked intermittently, I found out why when I pulled it:

I usually use RainX washer fluid and apparently the red stuff leaves residue (you can see it on the old reservoir, too). I had to tear a hole in the old reservoir to get the sensor out, since it was gunked into a 90* position. Put it in the ultrasonic cleaner and looked like new again.

That's the only substantive car work I've done in I don't remember how long...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

From the detailing thread last year:

meatpimp posted:

Holy poo poo. I was right on. I just didn't realize how much so until now. When I posted the above, I had just purchased a few aliexpress ceramic coating kits. I coated the Juke, and Avalon, and E61... and the Escalade.

I never thought too much about it, looking back it was 2018, so a good 4 years. Since then, the Escalade has sat outside under a crabapple tree getting various berries and birdshit dumped on its paint, and I've washed it like 6 times in those 4 years. I had pretty much figured it'd be ruined, but didn't care too much.

Well, the Escalade is back in daily service and I got a wild hair to clean it up today. I took some synthetic clay and lube to it and... that ceramic coating let almost NOTHING make a lasting mark. I followed it up with some Meg's M27 hybrid ceramic coating and I am absolutely blown away at how this 18 year old car came out. It is amazing. I'll be ceramic coating my wife's RDX soon.

Car was nice and clean, but I kept wanting to replace the shocks because it's never seemed "right." Plus... look at that sagging butt. Shameful. Now I know the rear factory air shocks were shot, because both of the air bladders and the compressor were shot, but the front seemed... okay? But VERY firm, always. It has the fancy electronically adjustable front shocks and I thought that if they failed, it'd go soft.

I was wrong. I removed the fuse for the ride control and let it sit with the battery disconnected for a bit and the truck forgot it had ride control at all... and the front end started bouncing around like crazy. So, when those electronic shocks fail, they fail in the full hard setting. Interesting.

This week I finally got around to installing new Bilsteins. Shocks all around, and since I was ditching the rear air system for conventional shock, I had to switch to uprated springs in the rear, too. Pretty straightforward operation, not much more than remove and replace. Did have to disconnect the rear sway bar to drop the axle enough to change the springs, but nbd.

I also had to remove the rear fender liners to do the job. I'd never removed them before, and it's been 2 years since I've done any kind of rust preventative maintenance, so I was worried about what I was going to find. Almost all GMT800 suvs around here have fully rotted sills and I was hoping mine wasn't on the verge...

Looks really loving clean. Now those shots are after a pressure wash, dry, and Fluid Film application, but man, it's in such good shape...

End result:

No more saggy butt. And the ride is transformed. It's controlled and feel so much more modern. Lookin' pretty good in its 19th year.

Edit: And I scratched it while moving my son into his apartment last August. Enough of a scratch that was too much to touch up, but there's really no way to match old Cadillac tricoat pearl, so... cover it with a sticker? Sure!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Love me some GMT800 content. I'd buy a vehicle from you.