Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i think i got SAIN dialed in to where its still pretty challenging but im also doing well enough that its not the end of the world if i die on a raid with a nice AK anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nutsak posted:

70%* for the stand alone. EoD gets 50% on the upgrade price to the Unheard Edition. PvE will be part of EoD "at release".

I, and the person I quoted, think PvE should be part of all editions - now.

Oh and I agree there.
I just continue to monitor how many times can Nikita shoot himself in the foot :v:

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

They're saying it's unsustainable for them, hosting servers etc for the PVE mode, but they could just make it so the loving group leader in coop hosts the game.

It may be a bit more cheater friendly but it's PVE anyway so it's kind loving pointless either way and just seems like another bullshit excuse to me.

I wish there would still be a wider support for dedicated servers a'la Half-Life 1 / Counterstrike 1 that you could either run on your pc or on a VPS somewhere. But I guess since companies then can't monetize continued access that train has left the station.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

hazzlebarth posted:

I wish there would still be a wider support for dedicated servers a'la Half-Life 1 / Counterstrike 1 that you could either run on your pc or on a VPS somewhere. But I guess since companies then can't monetize continued access that train has left the station.

Are you talking about PVE servers? Because right now they provide servers for PVP without additional monetization if you just buy the standard edition.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Jakosa posted:

Are you talking about PVE servers? Because right now they provide servers for PVP without additional monetization if you just buy the standard edition.

Yes, for the new PvE mode. They said they can't give it to EoD users right now because it would overload their servers. If they released a dedicated server that problem would most certainly go away.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

1st times the charm!

Haha! Turns out it the charm is actually on the 2nd time you do an apology!

Why are you still angry?! 3rd times the charm! Please keep playing the game!

quote:

Greetings!

Let me continue my feedback on the current situation. First of all, I would like to say that I am very sorry that fans and the game community in general are experiencing these feelings. Unfortunately, I somehow did not foresee the fact of such a reaction and now I have drawn conclusions for my future decisions.

Now I will briefly summarize the main points:
1.) About PvE access - we decided to just open it for EoD owners for free, but we will do it in waves. As I said before - we don’t have server capacity right now. We will start this process as soon as possible
2.) We also decided that we will add MOD support for PvE mode after release of the game
3.) About the Unheard edition - we will not remove it, we want to keep the option for those who want to support the game more. But we will balance items, perks in this edition, as well as we will provide more rewards for those, who upgraded with the old price
4.) New EoD perks will be balanced too. We will remove prioritized matching option to keep everyone in the same spot. And we will add more unique stuff to highlight the EoD version in general. We will provide the final list of the new EoD perks asap
5.) We continue to work on patches, new content, events, and the game release itself no matter what

Thank you for your time, love and hate, and thank you for your increased attention to the current situation.

Nik

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

I mean, great that they're just completely taking basically everything back but between the idea that they did it in the first place and the stuff in the leaked interview I'm sure that they've taken a ton of self inflicted damage

e: aside from the general tone being "i'm sorry that you morons are upset by any of this and I'm sorry that I didn't get away with this bullshit without complaint"

hopterque fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 28, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's straight up killed any interest I had in picking the game up during the next sale/reset.

Gray Zone is announcing the release date for Early Access tomorrow, so sounding like a few of the lads are picking that up and we'll be hitting that up instead.

There's PR mistakes and blunders, but this feels like they straight up disrespected the bulk of their user base

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Infinitum posted:

It's straight up killed any interest I had in picking the game up during the next sale/reset.

Gray Zone is announcing the release date for Early Access tomorrow, so sounding like a few of the lads are picking that up and we'll be hitting that up instead.

There's PR mistakes and blunders, but this feels like they straight up disrespected the bulk of their user base

Grey Zone looks a lot more interesting anyway than the thing tarkov has become in the years its been playable IMO. Remember when this game was supposed to have some sort of linked map progression and greater goal than just jumping into individual maps and grinding quests?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Without touching on the poo poo storm of Tarkov, I've got to say I was disappointed in Grey Zone in general. I don't know if it was all the hype about being a "Tarkov killer", but it left me with a very "meh" impression.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Without touching on the poo poo storm of Tarkov, I've got to say I was disappointed in Grey Zone in general. I don't know if it was all the hype about being a "Tarkov killer", but it left me with a very "meh" impression.

I think it looks nice and has potential, if it reaches any of that potential is another thing entirely. Tarkov was also a game that looked nice and had potential, and it still has potential, but its been out for a long time and never seems any closer to reaching it and the years have proven without a doubt that BSG have serious issues all over.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Grey Zone looks OK, but I don't think I'll like it more than Tarkov.

From what I've seen, it seems too squad focused. I usually play alone, so I want a game that's playable solo.
It also seems like it's primarily PVE with occasional PVP, where Tarkov seems more PVP focused.
And the map is something that caught my eye. Tarkov is the most simulation-like shooter I've tried and I like it. A map with markers that update automatically doesn't feel very simulation like. I think Dark Souls has given me an appreciation for games with no maps.

I don't know if Grey Zone will come out with other biomes, but it kind of looks like it's jungle all day long. I like that you can switch from long-range fighting on Woods to CQC on Factory and all sorts in between when you want in Tarkov.

I'll definitely keep it on my radar, but right now I'm not interested.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Meh, at least he's finally caved. That's a step better than quite a few companies that double down for eternity or just go completely radio silent and ghost everyone.

Still not sure about the items added, though. They seem kinda crazy if they work how it sounds.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Redditors are loving unhinged. Lolling at all the threats of legal proceedings and how BSG's announcement is the greatest attack on a people (Gamers TM) the world has ever seen.

Yeah grey zone just doesn't look like it has the same vibe. That said it is very very early days for the game.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Operator drewski made a video on greyzone the other day and it looks unplayable tbh. no idea why they're releasing it in this state so early, it seems like a nightmare of infil/exfil camping the on-rails helicopter system and like 90% of the massive map is flyover country with no points of interest.

Even the three main starter towns for each faction on the map are just copy/pasted three times.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Redditors are loving unhinged. Lolling at all the threats of legal proceedings and how BSG's announcement is the greatest attack on a people (Gamers TM) the world has ever seen.

Thank you for the update, brave Reddit reader. Please keep up apprised of what else the unwashed masses are saying about the game Escape from Tarkov.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Infinitum posted:

gray zone is going to take literally years to get into a good state. i hope it ends up good but it's incredibly early in development and it's not going to be meaningfully competing with tarkov for a very long time

Nidhg00670000 posted:

it looks promising in its own right and it was less vaporware and more conceptually fleshed out than I expected it to be tbh, but imo the game really suffers being compared to tarkov because they're just wildly different games. gz seems to be taking a shot at a day z with better pvp if anything

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Operator drewski made a video on greyzone the other day and it looks unplayable tbh. no idea why they're releasing it in this state so early, it seems like a nightmare of infil/exfil camping the on-rails helicopter system and like 90% of the massive map is flyover country with no points of interest.

Even the three main starter towns for each faction on the map are just copy/pasted three times.

cuz games are expensive to develop and it takes a long time these days to get a game to the point where it can compete with decade old behemoths and they need money to keep it going presumably

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 28, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011
Grey Zone feels pretty clearly like the last couple Ghost Recons meets Hunt Showdown, rather than really hewing close to Tarkov. Which in itself is actually super interesting, at least to me. The trouble is it also is being made by a studio who has previously only made mobile titles and the stuff they've been showing the last few weeks looks like a goddamn Sergei Titov game in some worrying ways.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

looking forward to the slew of terrible extraction shooters that we're going to see in the next 5-10 years as everyone tries to bite off a chunk of the market for themselves. If we're lucky we'll get one that isn't rear end, and if we're REALLY lucky that one won't also be a roguelike deckbuilder with meta progression

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's already been a thing for several years and even aaa attempts have been mostly trash. some people liked dmz quite a bit, but they finally pulled the plug on that

if anything it feels like a lot of companies have given up on that niche as too hard to get right and co-op pve is the hot new thing

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

and if we're REALLY lucky that one won't also be a roguelike deckbuilder with meta progression
whoa there bud, don't think that ultra-specific axe needs any more grinding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Orv posted:

Grey Zone feels pretty clearly like the last couple Ghost Recons meets Hunt Showdown, rather than really hewing close to Tarkov. Which in itself is actually super interesting, at least to me. The trouble is it also is being made by a studio who has previously only made mobile titles and the stuff they've been showing the last few weeks looks like a goddamn Sergei Titov game in some worrying ways.

the Sergey Titov joint is already for sale lol https://www.playl33t.com/

Gray Zone looked pretty good to me in the streams of the playtests I watched. imo it actually seems closer to Arma's King of the Hill mode than Tarkov, but people will label anything an extraction shooter these days