Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

BobHoward posted:

I wonder how much 88K Macintosh hardware is out there.

(for those who don't know, when Apple was investigating options for transitioning away from 68K, 88K was one of them, and it got as far as them manufacturing a bunch of prototype 88K Macs for software development work.)

Actually I wonder how much 88K hardware is out there at all. Not a wildly successful ISA!
From what I understand when I last looked into it, MVME was probably the most manufactured and deployed m88k form factor? Data General also originally built AViiON systems on m88k, before switching to x86 (Pentium-era, initially, I think). There were some other small scale users, OMRON's LUNA being another, mostly in Japan, and some use in telcos, etc. (Nortel had some use of m88k in some part/version/edition of DMS at one point). Beyond that I'm not sure. I know some CMU folks used m88k for some Mach projects. The sense I got was once AIM "took off" and settled on PowerPC, m88k was well and truly dead inside Motorola, and it had already had a late start compared to SPARC and MIPS in the RISC space of the era, etc., etc.

I didn't know about the prototype Mac m88k HW at all, or that they even did that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

however much Mac 88k hardware is out there, 50% of it passed through Weird Stuff (RIP)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Speaking of weird architectures, and since I'm not done with other would-be effortposts stuck in draft states, anyone else here other than me have any GreenArrays boards or parts?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

minidracula posted:

From what I understand when I last looked into it, MVME was probably the most manufactured and deployed m88k form factor? Data General also originally built AViiON systems on m88k, before switching to x86 (Pentium-era, initially, I think). There were some other small scale users, OMRON's LUNA being another, mostly in Japan, and some use in telcos, etc. (Nortel had some use of m88k in some part/version/edition of DMS at one point). Beyond that I'm not sure. I know some CMU folks used m88k for some Mach projects. The sense I got was once AIM "took off" and settled on PowerPC, m88k was well and truly dead inside Motorola, and it had already had a late start compared to SPARC and MIPS in the RISC space of the era, etc., etc.

I didn't know about the prototype Mac m88k HW at all, or that they even did that!

If wikipedia is to be believed, m88k was a product for just 3 years, 1988 to 1991. 1991 was about when the AIM alliance formed up, and yes, PowerPC absolutely killed m88k - it hadn't gotten much adoption and PowerPC had a built-in volume customer.

Take a look at this CHM history page, which is about Gary Davidian's m68k emulator projects at Apple. It has some pictures of m88k Mac hardware - a Mac LC box with the 3-chip original generation m88k stuffed in it.

https://computerhistory.org/blog/transplanting-the-macs-central-processor-gary-davidian-and-his-68000-emulator/

The oral history interviews with Davidian are neat and a big chunk does concern m88k. Hard to judge from it how many 88K machines they actually built, but probably not many - sounds like the project proved itself in that 68K emulation on 88K worked well, but then the AIM deal happened and swept away any need to distribute m88k Macs to a bigger team.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

If wikipedia is to be believed, m88k was a product for just 3 years, 1988 to 1991. 1991 was about when the AIM alliance formed up, and yes, PowerPC absolutely killed m88k - it hadn't gotten much adoption and PowerPC had a built-in volume customer.

Especially since the 601 was specifically intended to be a design replacement for the 88110, to the point of using the same bus protocol. Swap the part in your design, spin the board for the pinout, recompile/rewrite your firmware, done.

Something that surprises me is that Data General switched to Intel instead of PowerPC; either they really wanted nothing more to do with Motorola or wouldn’t have anything to do with IBM, because they had a breadth of m88k designs they could have turned into 601 designs quickly. Maybe they were worried IBM would price the part to ensure no DG workstation or server was cheaper? (But IBM was still IBM then, and IBM never cared about price…)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Like a buddy has an I think 8-CPU AViiON minicomputer running DG-UX with 1.5GB of RAM, and I have single-CPU tower and pizzabox AViiON workstations, and both designs would have worked with a PPC601 dropped in. They’d have been the first to market, with a decent and secure SVR4 using IXI X.desktop for its UI…

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's the year of ARM on the windows desktop

https://twitter.com/Lexcyn/status/1772295505524973783

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

show me the Act 3 numbers!

but yeah that’s about what I got on the Steam Deck and it’s definitely playable

what’s that part go for?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

repiv posted:

it's the year of ARM on the windows desktop

Some sort of confidential arm manufacturing exclusivity contract for windows computers either expired at the end of last year or is about to expire which will allow the market to really open up

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I've been listening to this 2021 Twitter Spaces recording that was a retrospective / requiem for SPARC, made by a bunch of ex-Sun/Oracle people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79NNXn5Kr90

It's a bit scattershot but fascinating. Lots of 'lmao our CPUs were so poo poo and doomed'. They confirmed my one of my gut reactions in a big way - I've never personally done anything with SPARC, but from a distance the register windows always looked like a terrible idea. Turns out that lots of the insiders think they were bad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This looks very cool, though I haven’t really dug into it:

https://github.com/adam-maj/tiny-gpu

quote:

If you want to learn how a CPU works all the way from architecture to control signals, there are many resources online to help you.

GPUs are not the same.

Because the GPU market is so competitive, low-level technical details for all modern architectures remain proprietary.

While there are lots of resources to learn about GPU programming, there's almost nothing available to learn about how GPU's work at a hardware level.

The best option is to go through open-source GPU implementations like Miaow and VeriGPU and try to figure out what's going on. This is challenging since these projects aim at being feature complete and functional, so they're quite complex.

This is why I built tiny-gpu!