Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The more brands of parts you have in it, the more AMC it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
I have been able to get some more work done the last few weeks, things are still moving slow but I'm making progress.

I had to make a L bracket to relocate the pivot on the Z-bar for the clutch linkage. Since I'm using a late model AMC/Jeep bellhousing the pivot mounting location was wrong. (It would normally bolt directly to the bellhousing)The other end of the Z-bar mounts in the strut rod bracket so that end couldn't be relocated. I set the clutch pushrod adjustment and verified that the clutch would release and had proper free play.

Transmission installed with a shortened driveshaft and a slip yoke swap to match the T-5. Had to extend the mounting surface of the cross member with some 1/4 inch plate. The transmission mount is for a 69 Mercury Cougar but it fits the transmission perfectly and has the correct height I needed for the driveshaft angle.

I'm fairly sure the modification work is about done, I won't weld in the transmission mount plate extension until I have been able to test drive the car and make sure the positioning is OK. I hope to have it running and be able to move under its own power by the end of November.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
hell yeah more amc content. how much work was the T5 swap? i didn't know you could use the ford transmission. on the T10, the bolt pattern is different.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Swiller of Beer posted:

Not much of an update, was finally able to get some free time to put some work in. I forgot to take pictures so there is only a couple of them.

304 AMC V8 with a T5 transmission out of a 93 Mustang. Had to use an AMC multifit bellhousing, a Jeep clutch and a Jeep input shaft bearing retainer to make it all work.

And now it's in, I was able to cheat the engine and transmission in as an assembly.

There's a lot more that needs to be done but the hardest part is out of the way.
Hell yeah.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Raluek posted:

hell yeah more amc content. how much work was the T5 swap? i didn't know you could use the ford transmission. on the T10, the bolt pattern is different.

It wasn't too bad, I used an AMC/Jeep multi fit bell housing (AMC part number 3229127), and a clutch kit and release fork from a 77 CJ7 to make it work. You need a Ford t5 with a 7.18 inch long input shaft. You also need the Jeep t5 input shaft bearing retainer (Jeep part number 8134013) to fit the hole in the bellhousing. And I also used a slip yoke for a Mustang (Spicer part number 2-3-8251x) and had the driveshaft shop install it on the driveshaft when I had it shortened. And like I said before I had to work up a transmission mount and deal with the Z-bar.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
Still here, still working on this when I have free time.

Cleaned up the distributor, replaced the points and condenser. Verified the mechanical and vacuum advance are free and working. I will probably convert the distributor over to electronic ignition sometime in the future but I actually like points. My first car had points, it's a nostalgia thing I guess. I'll just have to keep a spare set and condenser in the glovebox like the old days.
Replaced the exhaust flange studs on the exhaust manifolds before installing them. Deleted the frozen heat riser. I didn't get any pictures of installing the manifolds but the drivers side sucks to do in the car, there's no way to get to the bolts without removing the steering column. Next time they go in with the engine.

The biggest issue at the moment is finding a fuel pump that is not poo poo. I installed a brand new Carter only to have it start leaking fuel from the weep hole immediately. After doing some research it seems all the AMC mechanical pumps are garbage nowadays so I might have to go electric. Ugh.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
If you want electronic ignition, Ford Duraspark II is easy to install and dead simple.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Salami Surgeon posted:

If you want electronic ignition, Ford Duraspark II is easy to install and dead simple.

I actually have an AMC duraspark distributor, harness and module on the shelf. I could also swap to a big cap HEI distributor but those are ugly. I like the look of the old Delco distributor plus the sliding window in the cap makes setting points easy with a dwell meter. In the end I will probably convert the Delco distributor to electronic ignition eventually.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Swiller of Beer posted:

The biggest issue at the moment is finding a fuel pump that is not poo poo. I installed a brand new Carter only to have it start leaking fuel from the weep hole immediately. After doing some research it seems all the AMC mechanical pumps are garbage nowadays so I might have to go electric. Ugh.

yeah from what ive read, this is the unfortunate truth. you either find an old original one that's supposedly rebuildable, or convert to electric, or spend multiple hundreds on a fancy aftermarket one (robbmc). the new production stock replacement ones ive heard nothing but problems.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Raluek posted:

yeah from what ive read, this is the unfortunate truth. you either find an old original one that's supposedly rebuildable, or convert to electric, or spend multiple hundreds on a fancy aftermarket one (robbmc). the new production stock replacement ones ive heard nothing but problems.

I'm probably going to go electric if this next pump fails, the robbmc pump is pricey and a bit overkill for a 304. I have a GMB pump ordered which is supposedly made in South Korea and some people say it may have better build quality. It's worth a shot anyways. If it works out I'll order a spare to keep in the trunk just in case.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
Slowly we continue on.

Got the accessories figured out, I updated the alternator and power steering to the late model setup so I could use a Delco alternator instead of the externally regulated Motorola. Plus the new alternator is a 61 amp unit vs the old 40 amp unit. It also simplifies the wiring quite a bit and parts are much easier to come by if I need to replace anything. I will say AMC has one of the dumbest and complicated accessory bracket designs I have ever seen for a vintage car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__2E4pQ1V-k
Finally up and running. Took it for a short drive and didn't have any issues as of yet. Going to start on fabricating the exhaust next week if I have time.