Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Famous entertainers all make so much money that they hire someone else to manage it and 99% of the time that guy they hired skims millions from them because they have all of their financial information and the Star never notices it because they have no idea how much money they actually make or have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Regrettable posted:

Keep kicking those goal posts down the line. You balked at the idea that he's broke, then did some math to try to prove it but now you're talking about his social value to cover up the fact that you were wrong and he already lost/spent it all and is in massive amounts of debt.

gahahahhahahaha he's a 1%er in terms of raw income no matter what way you slice it dude let me refer back to my original post:

you tripled down on this idea that oh no he's broke, you can't whine about me pointing out that r. kelly has been an institution unto himself for actual decades. idk what your point was of bringing it up in the first place but he's definitely going down in spite of being rich and famous, not because he stopped being those things.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 4, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
We've all been wrong about R Kelly before. There's no shame in it. He's a mysterious man that evokes something primal in all of us. It's no excuse to quote yourself.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

blight rhino posted:

gently caress him and all, but didn't he get like severe brain damage in a car accident and changed completely?

Or something similar? Like he was * kinda* normal, car accident, then is now batshit?

You might be thinking of Kanye who, apparently, started going off the deep end after his mom died

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lol, yes, the singer who is notoriously bad with money and had his royalties frozen is definitely collecting millions from ?

The question was whether or not he's broke and the answer seems to be that he most likely is. I'm sorry you're so upset about this.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Gatto Grigio posted:

No, that’s Kanye.

lol, whoops. I'm very obviously in the know.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone remember how this story completely blew up when buzzfeed published an incredibly long and detailed article about R Kelly having a sex cult?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jimderogatis/parents-told-police-r-kelly-is-keeping-women-in-a-cult#.ab33d0LDD

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
This news is really weird to me because I could have sworn I heard about this guy getting busted back in like the late 90s or early 2000s. People were straight up using "R Kelly" as a synonym for pedo. Is this one of those Berenstain Bears moments? Why is this happening again now?

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 4, 2021

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Alright, I have some free time so I might as well pop back in to say that the argument that R Kelly is in his current situation despite being extremely wealthy seems predicated on R Kelly still being wealthy. This is not to say he wouldn't wield influence through his popularity or ties he may still have but that it would be diminished, potentially to a great degree. If he were sitting on several million dollars he would have greater means to influence people, including potentially his victims, whether through harassment and intimidation, attempts at monetary compensation, or likely both. He would have greater means to make their personal and professional lives more of a living hell than he already has, or maybe he could try to pay someone to lose some evidence, or try to agree to steep fines to receive a lighter sentence. And he would have greater means to influence the general public, including to keep giving him money so he can perpetuate his abuse.

That it appears he is no longer wealthy means we are most likely seeing what's happening when he doesn't have most avenues available to him, or at least the degree to which they are available is lessened. I'm not saying that he would see zero repercussions if he were still sitting on massive stacks of cash but that he may not have to pay as dearly for what he's done. It's also not an attempt to downplay what his victims and the people who supported them have accomplished because it's still pretty incredible considering the popularity and influence he does have. And while it does feel nice to think that he was taken down in spite his wealth it also feels nice to think that his ability to target his victims has been lessened and his life will be much less comfortable from now on than it could have been, even in prison.

IMO

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

This news is really weird to me because I could have sworn I heard about this guy getting busted back in like the late 90s or early 2000s. People were straight up using "R Kelly" as a synonym for pedo. Is this one of those Berenstain Bears moments? Why is this happening again now?

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40635526

He was never convicted back then. The buzzfeed article from 2017 brought it all back to the surface. The tv documentary called Surviving R Kelly is where it really picked up steam.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40635526

He was never convicted back then. The buzzfeed article from 2017 brought it all back to the surface. The tv documentary called Surviving R Kelly is where it really picked up steam.

So it looks like in 2004, right as it was all coming to a head, some brain genius judge not only dropped all charges against Kelly but even denied the request for a search warrant due to lack of sufficient evidence, despite literal photographic evidence of an underage rape taking place provided by one of the victims

Very cool

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 4, 2021

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Devils Affricate posted:

So it looks like in 2004, right as it was all coming to a head, some brain genius judge not only dropped all charges against Kelly but even denied the request for a search warrant due to lack of sufficient evidence, despite literal photographic evidence of an underage rape taking place provided by one of the victims

Very cool

I wonder if anything such as, and I’m just taking a wild guess here, his financial situation, has changed between then and now that might help explain this discrepancy?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

I wonder if anything such as, and I’m just taking a wild guess here, his financial situation, has changed between then and now that might help explain this discrepancy?

Could be, or it could be half the world is filled with broke brain morons.

Seriously, sit on a jury sometime, I'm surprised anyone gets convicted honestly.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lmao leaving a cup of piss on a piano to go pee in a corner. A corner that is not designated for piss. Shameful.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Is that South Park episode still good

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Lmao leaving a cup of piss on a piano to go pee in a corner. A corner that is not designated for piss. Shameful.

that's pee in the corner
that's pee in the spotlight
losing my court case
trying to keep up with appeals
and i don't know if i can do it
oh no, i've said too much
i haven't plead enough

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Is that Boondocks episode still good

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Hey, I didn't say that. Edit that out! :mad:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mozi posted:

that's pee in the corner
that's pee in the spotlight
losing my court case
trying to keep up with appeals
and i don't know if i can do it
oh no, i've said too much
i haven't plead enough

lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's still good... Unless you like Scientology, Tom Cruise or don't want to hear a bunch of jokes about Tom Cruise, John Travolta, and R Kelly being trapped in a closet and not coming out...

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

the crazy thing to me is how that's even a thing, like child brides are totally legal in america if the parents are on board, so that basically means rich dudes + lovely parents = completely legal pedophilia.

At some point you kind of wonder why they bother going through other routes, they can just do it in the open if they feel like it.

the only ones who allow those marriages are religious zealots from the midwest and they're not letting a black guy near their daughters

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I haven't watched it in a while but I remember when South Park came to Amazon Prime and that episode was unavailable.

Yep, Scientology has enough power to scare Amazon. :ohdear:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone posted this yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVthudlQagk

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
This is the remix to kid diddlin

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Dang that video is hosed up and double dang I forgot how good a singer he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I for one am shocked to hear a prosecutor thinks victims are making it up lol