Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ridgely_Fan posted:

ee nerds with terse c functions that are 400 lines long (and single letter variables)
um you know function calls have overhead and it all compiles to a single binary anyway dont you???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

um you know function calls have overhead and it all compiles to a single binary anyway dont you???

my fist compiles into a single binary in your solar plexus

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
embedded programming is really fun and everyone should try it sometime

provided that you get to use nice hardware anyway. which is approximately never. so ok, stay out it's terrible (i'm lucky, i get to use nice hardware)

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

page 69

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:
*guitar riff*

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
i do a "coding for physicists" modules and the lecturer still hasn't figured out that fixed width fonts might be a good idea

yeah

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
consoles, vim, and fixed width

why do developers love using old paradigms for doing poo poo? some developers have actually made things easier to do things with a computer in the past 20 years!

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

tinselt0wn posted:

why do developers love using old paradigms for doing poo poo? some developers have actually made things easier to do things with a computer in the past 20 years!

:staredog:

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

your trolls must be at least this obvious ------------- for yospos to take the bait

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
no i literally dont understand why people havent embraced real IDEs over XDA levels of riced out vim/emacs installs

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
seriously look at the IYG android threads where they talk about using custom roms and compare that to vim talk

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

i can understand that but why are you against fixed point fonts, do you like not being able to align your code or what

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

tinselt0wn posted:

no i literally dont understand why people havent embraced real IDEs over XDA levels of riced out vim/emacs installs

and you never will

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

*uses no software eng practices*

zero sarcasm zone - it's a real shame software engineering is not engineering and that the people who tout it generally have the worst engineering practices

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

some day software engineering will be actual engineering but not any time soon. right now we're still at that awkward phase that cars were back when each one was handmade and some ran on steam and some ran on kerosene and some ran on compressed air.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

rotor posted:

some day software engineering will be actual engineering but not any time soon. right now we're still at that awkward phase that cars were back when each one was handmade and some ran on steam and some ran on kerosene and some ran on compressed air.

i think we're more like carpenters

everyone learns a detailed set of joint styles and has their favorite materials. quality varies widely by the experience and care of the person making the piece of furniture

eventually someone will come along with the ability to mass-produce cheap versions of things that suit most needs, and the entire discipline will fade away except for in a few niche cases where the mass-produced versions wont work

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it is a car(pentry) analogy

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i'm into tongue and groove :q:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tinselt0wn posted:

those are linux users and they're all idiots

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

tinselt0wn posted:

We've come so far since 80's development environments too

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I lie, all that has happened is that the cutting edge 20 years ago is now mainstream. Thanks smalltalk :3:

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

tef posted:

I lie, all that has happened is that the cutting edge 20 years ago is now mainstream. Thanks smalltalk :3:

mac stole from alto, objective C stole from smalltalk Steve Jobs CONSPIRACY

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Guys the forums coder uses Mercurial and not Git lol what idiot :gitlife:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

tef posted:

i'm into tongue and groove :q:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Gogey posted:

Guys the forums coder uses Mercurial and not Git lol what idiot :gitlife:

i think it might not actually be radium this time

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ridgely_Fan posted:

i think we're more like carpenters

everyone learns a detailed set of joint styles and has their favorite materials. quality varies widely by the experience and care of the person making the piece of furniture

eventually someone will come along with the ability to mass-produce cheap versions of things that suit most needs, and the entire discipline will fade away except for in a few niche cases where the mass-produced versions wont work
dunno if you noticed but this has already happened a few times

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sulk, in the future please refrain from posting in yospos, thank you for your prompt attention to the matter.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

rotor posted:

sulk, in the future please refrain from posting in yospos, thank you for your prompt attention to the matter.

nope

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Otto Skorzeny posted:

zero sarcasm zone - it's a real shame software engineering is not engineering and that the people who tout it generally have the worst engineering practices
oh ok that's a good excuse for not using good variable names or modular code design

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Shaggar posted:

those are linux users and they're all idiots
if you want this shtick to be believable you have to at least call him out on saying fixed width fonts are bad

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

oh ok that's a good excuse for not using good variable names or modular code design
i mean seriously, EEs learned how to program in matlab. surely those practices will transfer to any language

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

nice non-sequitur batman

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

i mean seriously, EEs learned how to program in matlab. surely those practices will transfer to any language

can matlab really be said to have best practices? the objective best practice is to not use matlab

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

can matlab really be said to have best practices? the objective best practice is to not use matlab

right, call all your m files from labview

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Engineers at my school have the choice to take either Java or Matlab as their programming core, then take the other as a 1-credit self-paced class some time before they graduate. Watching the people that went matlab -> java was pretty funny not gonna lie

also the java prof taught some really stupid folder metaphor that I still don't understand but finally he's gone

also they're replacing java with python in the intro course :getin:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Gogey posted:

Engineers at my school have the choice to take either Java or Matlab as their programming core, then take the other as a 1-credit self-paced class some time before they graduate. Watching the people that went matlab -> java was pretty funny not gonna lie

also the java prof taught some really stupid folder metaphor that I still don't understand but finally he's gone

also they're replacing java with python in the intro course :getin:

Python isn't a better option than Java for an intro course, so that's a bad decision on their part.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Otto Skorzeny posted:

nice non-sequitur batman

how is that a non-sequitur. maybe "software engineering" conveys too strong of an idea for you, but the idea i was trying to get across is putting some thought into the organization of code. come on dude you know im not talking about attempting to judiciously apply gang of 4 to every nook and cranny of you codebase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

it's like you don't even know me, god!