Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endor
Aug 15, 2001

c0ldfuse posted:

I want her to get an Android.

That's nice, but what does she want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

c0ldfuse posted:

I have problems with the way Apple does business.

Don't thrust your ideals onto other people.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

c0ldfuse posted:

Hey, don't make her suffer for your ideology.

Don't get her a Galaxy Nexus.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

c0ldfuse posted:

Is it the part where their phones are actually designed in the US by world-class engineers who both use and take pride in their products? Or is it the part where they don't poo poo out twenty different models every year, and thus, can actually take the time to see that poo poo loving works?

I mean, I prefer Android too and Jobs was a bit kooky. But Apple's engineering is something that all companies should strive for. They set a really good example.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is it the part where their phones are actually designed in the US by world-class engineers who both use and take pride in their products? Or is it the part where they don't poo poo out twenty different models every year, and thus, can actually take the time to see that poo poo loving works?

I mean, I prefer Android too and Jobs was a bit kooky. But Apple's engineering is something that all companies should strive for. They set a really good example.

Probably more so with their business methods and ethics.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

On the other hand my non-techy wife loves her Nexus and hasn't had any problems. After a year of using the Evo Shift it was heavenly.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

That poor woman must put up with more than the workers at Foxconn do.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I mean, of course, steer family and loved ones away from crap phones and shoddy hardware, but let them make a choice they are comfortable with. Take her to a Verizon store and let her fiddle with the phones for a while.

Also, if she makes the choice herself, there is a greater chance she will be satisfied with the phone over the life of the contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

Probably more so with their business methods and ethics.

Because Samsung has great business models and ethics?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sigma posted:

I mean, of course, steer family and loved ones away from crap phones and shoddy hardware, but let them make a choice they are comfortable with. Take her to a Verizon store and let her fiddle with the phones for a while.

Also, if she makes the choice herself, there is a greater chance she will be satisfied with the phone over the life of the contract.

He would be the type to walk into the store and take her to the android phones. When she asks "Where are the iPhones?" he'll say "Over there, but check out this super sweet DROID RAZR MAXX powered by MOTOROLA with 4G LTE"

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Because Samsung has great business models and ethics?

I mean, it isn't like Samsung gets products assembled by Foxconn or anythi

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

quote:

Factories in Chengdu manufacture products for hundreds of companies. But Mr. Lai was focused on Foxconn Technology, China’s largest exporter and one of the nation’s biggest employers, with 1.2 million workers. The company has plants throughout China, and assembles an estimated 40 percent of the world’s consumer electronics, including for customers like Amazon, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Nintendo, Nokia and Samsung.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
In 5 years of knowing her I've had to find a program which can work around the current iOS and pull music out of DRM to two iDevices and two laptops transfers.

Aside from the other reasons if I could drag and drop music and movies alone according to modern standards of loving logic I would say go for the iPhone.

Edit:
I had an iPhone for 3 years too.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 21, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Ah, I see. Yes, Android is a celebrated media platform. It is clearly the future of the industry, unlike that cruddy-duddy iTunes.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Dude doesn't want to buy an iphone for his girl. Get off his rear end

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

AppleCobbler posted:

Nah, he's just a sperg who can't just buy his girlfriend what she wants and instead insists on the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich experience because of crapple.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

AppleCobbler posted:

In general, threads on SA tend to go poorly when someone's projecting their OS preference onto other people when it's a "make me a recommendation" question.

TBQH I don't think "can't pull music back from device to computer" or "drag and drop" are big dealbreakers with itunes match on the table. I'm not even sure they were ever really big dealbreakers for anyone aside for micro-managey nerds.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

right arm posted:

Nah, he's just a sperg who can't just buy his girlfriend what she wants and instead insists on the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich experience because of crapple.

Uh, where has he said anything about what his girlfriend wants?

MrBond posted:

In general, threads on SA tend to go poorly when someone's projecting their OS preference onto other people when it's a "make me a recommendation" question.

TBQH I don't think "can't pull music back from device to computer" or "drag and drop" are big dealbreakers with itunes match on the table. I'm not even sure they were ever really big dealbreakers for anyone aside for micro-managey nerds.

It goes south when everyone else piles on after he makes a clear distinction that he does not want a particular product that he must get it for whatever reason. If I asked what shoes I should buy and said I don't want to buy Nike, why can't you just tell me what the best Adidas are instead of telling me that I really should be getting Nike?

Not being able to manage the music without iTunes sounds like a perfectly acceptable reason. Or maybe having a big screen is a qualification. Or maybe she likes using the Swype keyboard. It doesn't matter, just tell him the best option for Android.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
You seriously think drag and drop is an overlookable feature?

Something every device except for Apples has had since I dont know the Creative Nomad?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

He never did. He did, however, clearly state his imposition over her potential desires:

c0ldfuse posted:

I have problems with the way Apple does business. ... I want her to get an Android.

AppleCobbler posted:

It goes south when everyone else piles on after he makes a clear distinction that he does not want a particular product that he must get it for whatever reason.
From what little we know about his girlfriend (she's not a technophile), an iPhone may well be the most appropriate device. But he's dismissing it as an option for reasons that, generally, non-technophiles don't care about (abstract dislike of "Apple's business" and minor complaints about iTunes).

At the same time, non-technically inclined (and even technically inclined) folks are often frustrated with the significant problems every Android device has. In short, "we've been here before." His girlfriend is likely aware of iPhones and has friends with them. Unless she expresses dislike of them, it's likely the best option for her, and recommending/going with an alternative may well become a point of frustration in their relationship.

But really, it's not exactly "iPhone or bust", we're just trying to better understand her needs and desires, and the details there are comically absent.

AppleCobbler posted:

It doesn't matter, just tell him the best option for Android.
There is no "best Android", they all have significant flaws and weaknesses. Some of these flaws even change over time with updates. Although the Galaxy Nexus and RAZR MAXX are probably the two best candidates.

c0ldfuse posted:

It appear so, given the wild (near-monopoly) success of the iTunes platform. Even for folks who might appreciate it, it's a reasonable tradeoff when considering that Android has yet to find a popular, time-tested, highly-integrated media solution.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 21, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

AppleCobbler posted:

It goes south when everyone else piles on after he makes a clear distinction that he does not want a particular product that he must get it for whatever reason. If I asked what shoes I should buy and said I don't want to buy Nike, why can't you just tell me what the best Adidas are instead of telling me that I really should be getting Nike?

You can't make comparisons with cell phones to other industries. For your analogy to work, Nike would have to be easier laces to tie versus Adidas shoes requiring custom shoe modders if you want to get your shoe to truly work well (this is an exaggeration, just proving a point).

It isn't a matter of cost, as the smartphones are all around $199 and the same monthly plan. All I will say is k have spent years telling people "must buy Android" and going really out of my way to help them, and for almost every one of those drat situations they end up wanting and switching to an iPhone anyway.

Android is great for a lot of people, but if someone isn't good with smart phones I almost always vote iPhone now because its just so drat less stressful.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah I think I'm basically at the same place BLarg!'s at with everything. I prefer Android the operating system and Android the paradigm, but the reality is getting really loving unreasonable.

My buddy and I both got LTE Galaxy Nexuses over the last two weeks. We'll set aside that the GNex hardware itself is inexplicably a step down in camera quality and internal DAC from the Droid Charge, we wanted responsive LTE devices free of a manufacturer UI and were willing to suffer the offensive hardware regressions in those categories for it.

The experience has been miserable. My Galaxy Nexus refuses to charge, unless the battery's dead (in which case, it charges fine -- unlikely to be a hardware problem). There's a humongous thread about it on Google's forums, apparently it's very widespread and the solution if you bought secondhand is to mail your GNex back to Samsung because Verizon apparently doesn't honor secondhand warranties, since, you know, you should totally be paying them literally $649.99 for a new phone if you're under contract. My buddy's issue is that his data just won't stay connected at all. It works fine on CDMA-only mode, but when he pushes it to LTE/CDMA it drops completely multiple times an hour. I'm not in the same city as him to diagnose it, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that he's just been spoiled by having a functional CDMA-only phone for so long that he's not prepared for the depressing reality of Samsung LTE/CDMA combo radios that I was desensitized to through Droid Charge ownership. He got Samsung to let him mail it in for service; it will almost assuredly "work" exactly the same when it comes back.

It's beyond ridiculous that your only options for a high-end Android device are the current flagship with practically-defective radio hardware and middling battery life that costs an extra $24.99 + tax just to achieve, or a locked-bootloader non-ICS shitshow with a screen that's embarassing by any objective measure. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think you should have to negtioate with Motorola's bullshit if you want functional radio hardware.

The sickening part is that supercurio just discovered that Samsung is actually bringing back the good Wolfson DACs for the Galaxy S III that they used in the GS1-based devices and dropped for the GS2's and Galaxy Nexus. How many times am I going to get suckered into buying a slightly different version of this phone?

Google's "level playing field" approach with Moto out of respect to the other OEMs needs to go. I'd love nothing more than to see Google regulate hard at Motorola and to start shipping integrated, properly-QA'd products that people actually want to own and that are competitive with the iPhone on a hardware level in addition to being open and supported. If Samsung and HTC think the answer to this market is incompetent radio hardware, Beats by Dre in lieu of a $1-2/unit DAC improvement, and an ever-more-troublesome overemphasis on defiling ICS with TouchWiz and Sense, they honestly deserve to get slaughtered by the company building the OS.

This is Google's party, and I'm tired of watching these other guys take huge steaming shits in the punch bowl.

I hate iTunes too and I'm really not an iOS fan, but if Verizon's press comments hold true and it's possible to get an LTE iPhone 6 onto a grandfathered unlimited plan (via secondhand purchase), then it's going to be pretty tough to stay with the ragtag crew of fuckups at Samsung & Friends for another year.

c0ldfuse thinks he cares about drag and drop. Guys, I want to ride in an airplane, but the armrests aren't adjustable in this one. Please recommend the best crashing airplane with adjustable armrests.

It's 2012, you loon. Use Spotify and ignore it.

kbar fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 21, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kalibar posted:

It's 2012, you loon. Use Spotify and ignore it.

To be fair this is only a tenable situation if you are grandfathered into unlimited data or have wifi in more places than not. And if you are willing to never take a discounted upgrade again lest you have to kick the Spotify habit you have formed.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

It's plenty tenable even if you have no data plan. Just download music via Wi-Fi.

How frequently are you in a situation where you've got a charged laptop loaded with more mp3s than will fit on your phone, a USB cable, no internet connection whatsoever, and a personal iTunes zero-tolerance possibility?

BLarg! says iTunes is the legit media platform, but honestly until Spotify and Rdio came along I don't think we've had (a legal) one.

kbar fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 21, 2012

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I forgot to change the settings in my iPhone when I swapped hard drives in my computer a few months ago, so now if I want to add sideload music, I'd have to delete everything and it back on.

Between the iTunes Music Store, Spotify, and other streaming options, it hasn't been a problem at all. Drag and drop was never really an issue. Now it's a laughable talking point.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

It's legitimately inconvenient if you're an audiophile with a FLAC collection. "Fortunately," very few Android devices include audiophile-quality DAC hardware.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I went back to stock and flashed the leaked 4.0.4 OTA, and it still seems to suck rear end when transitioning from LTE to 3G and back again. If I leave it on CDMA only my extended battery lasts all day, on hybrid it seems to get warm to the touch and runs down quickly. I am starting to wonder if this is one of the hardware issues others have seen or if it is just that LTE in the Portland, OR area sucks.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

kensei posted:

I went back to stock and flashed the leaked 4.0.4 OTA, and it still seems to suck rear end when transitioning from LTE to 3G and back again. If I leave it on CDMA only my extended battery lasts all day, on hybrid it seems to get warm to the touch and runs down quickly. I am starting to wonder if this is one of the hardware issues others have seen or if it is just that LTE in the Portland, OR area sucks.

The 'official' IMM76K is what you're using? I've been tempted to do that myself because of all the fixes and battery life drastically improving.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

yamdankee posted:

The 'official' IMM76K is what you're using? I've been tempted to do that myself because of all the fixes and battery life drastically improving.

Yup, and it has not done a lot for me so far. I am going to test it this week and see if it was just me running around over the weekend, I should be in a decent area when at work.

I dropped my first call in forever after I flashed this weekend, so I am not overly optimistic.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I hope they keep trying. Maybe their third or fourth attempt at an update will be worthy of release.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

c0ldfuse posted:

Something every device except for Apples has had since I dont know the Creative Nomad?

When having a database manage it for me allows me to do way more than drag and drop ever does, yup! I'm not saying drag and drop is *never* necessary, just that music syncing programs do give you additional functionality. As far as I'm concerned, drag and drop does give you simplicity but with the much more annoying overhead of having to micromanage your device.

The other thing with recommendations is that *we* have our expectations properly aligned with the failings of the various OEMs and different OSes. Does his girlfriend/mother/grandmother/non-techy? We don't know in this case what his girlfriend is OK with, but we sure do know *he* likes android.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 21, 2012

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I turned on LTE this morning at 07:41 AM. I am now at 14% and I never left the building today, I have been connected to the wifi here at work and this is horrible.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

kensei posted:

I turned on LTE this morning at 07:41 AM. I am now at 14% and I never left the building today, I have been connected to the wifi here at work and this is horrible.

If you have been on wifi the entire time your LTE radio has been off.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

traveling midget posted:

If you have been on wifi the entire time your LTE radio has been off.

I agree that is how it should work; however, when I am just on CDMA my battery shows none of this usage at all and that's literally the only thing I changed.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kensei posted:

I agree that is how it should work; however, when I am just on CDMA my battery shows none of this usage at all and that's literally the only thing I changed.

What is your Wi-Fi sleep policy set to?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

What is your Wi-Fi sleep policy set to?

My default is Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep, I have never changed that. Am I sounding insane that the only thing I changed is enabling LTE and my extended battery is getting destroyed?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kensei posted:

My default is Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep, I have never changed that. Am I sounding insane that the only thing I changed is enabling LTE and my extended battery is getting destroyed?

That's why I was wondering. Unless its fighting just to maintain a tower signal while in LTE mode, I can't imagine a situation where having it in that mode would cause excessive drain without switching back off of wifi.

What if you turn mobile data off while in your wifi zone. Would that make a difference?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My nephew is on a plan with his mother, and his phone received water damage and is no longer working. He just needs a phone that can text and make calls, nothing else. Since his mother is deployed, I'm the one having to take care of the issue.

What is my cheapest option on getting him something other than buying used off of craigslist or ebay? If I try and buy one from an actual verizon store, I'm assuming the markup will be pretty drat big. Also, once I have the new phone, can I activate it online with her account (and deactivate the trashed one) and avoid a trip to the store?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 22, 2012

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's why I was wondering. Unless its fighting just to maintain a tower signal while in LTE mode, I can't imagine a situation where having it in that mode would cause excessive drain without switching back off of wifi.

What if you turn mobile data off while in your wifi zone. Would that make a difference?

I am going to leave it in CDMA only today (the only change I will make), and will report my battery status before I leave work today.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hughmoris posted:

My nephew is on a plan with his mother, and his phone received water damage and is no longer working. He just needs a phone that can text and make calls, nothing else.

What is my cheapest option on getting him something other than buying used off of craigslist or ebay? If I try and buy one from an actual verizon store, I'm assuming the markup will be pretty drat big. Also, once I have the new phone, can I activate it online (and deactivate the trashed one) and avoid a trip to the store?

Why not buy one off craigslist or ebay? You can verify the ESN online here http://checkesnfree.com/esnconverter.html or call verizon if you want to be more cautious. There are lots of ebay sellers selling refurbished or barely used ones for cheap..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I think I found a replacement phone for my nephew. Just to be clear, if I buy it and have the account information, I can go online and deactivate his trashed phone and activate the new phone? This is the phone I'm looking to pickup as the replacement:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Verizon...customerreviews

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 22, 2012

• Locked thread