Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Otto Skorzeny posted:

can matlab really be said to have best practices? the objective best practice is to not use matlab

how else am i going to get these dsp filters into my thingy :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Sulk posted:

Python isn't a better option than Java for an intro course, so that's a bad decision on their part.

shut the gently caress up sulk

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

shut the gently caress up sulk

Nope

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

maybe "software engineering" conveys too strong of an idea for you

yes. cf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP9AIUT9nos

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Sulk posted:

Python isn't a better option than Java for an intro course, so that's a bad decision on their part.

It's a required course for all engineers and Python syntax is easier so :shobon:

Anyone that needs to continue in programming will use Java in the next class anyway (Then Ocaml, then whatever is needed for the class you're in)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

some day software engineering will be actual engineering but not any time soon.
more like never because software development as a whole will never be in the position of engineering professions where you get only one chance to build things right and therefore have to spend months modeling the gently caress out of it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

if you want this shtick to be believable you have to at least call him out on saying fixed width fonts are bad

pretty sure he meant fixed screen/line width, not fonts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gogey posted:

It's a required course for all engineers and Python syntax is easier so :shobon:

Anyone that needs to continue in programming will use Java in the next class anyway (Then Ocaml, then whatever is needed for the class you're in)

python syntax is terrible and python is terrible. using it as an intro language is bad enough but why even bother if they're switching to a real language the very next class?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Sulk posted:

pee pee doo doo

raus

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Shaggar posted:

python syntax is terrible and python is terrible. using it as an intro language is bad enough but why even bother if they're switching to a real language the very next class?

i think its a rule that all Intro to Programming classes have to use a completely retarded language. in my day it was either pascal or modula-2 depending on which crusty greybeard teacher you got. then they switched to vb6 which is even stupider

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Sulk posted:

yeah, but when you think about it, its a much better option than Java for an intro course, so it's actually a good decision on their part

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Sweevo posted:

i think its a rule that all Intro to Programming classes have to use a completely retarded language. in my day it was either pascal or modula-2 depending on which crusty greybeard teacher you got. then they switched to vb6 which is even stupider

c++ when i took ap cs

its just mean, bc after 2 semesters you can barely know any of the language even though you feel like youve really learned stuff

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Ridgely_Fan posted:

c++ when i took ap cs

its just mean, bc after 2 semesters you can barely know any of the language even though you feel like youve really learned stuff

the language in the ap exam i took didn't really matter so much as the algorithms they asked me to implement. from what i remember, syntax errors were not really graded (unless they were egregious) since they knew that writing a computer program on paper is kind of a bullshit task.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ridgely_Fan posted:

c++ when i took ap cs

it was basic when i started undergrad engineering, like microsoft BASICA, the graybeard instructor kept referring to '$' as "string" regardless of context even though he hadn't gotten to strings as a concept yet so i dropped the class and substituted the CS pascal course

e: now that i think about it it might have been quickbasic instead

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 21, 2012

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sweevo posted:

i think its a rule that all Intro to Programming classes have to use a completely retarded language.
that's the problem, though. all languages are completely retarded.

at least python has a repl

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i mean sure i knew what strings were in basic but it was a sign that the guy didn't really care whether anyone learned or not

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ridgely_Fan posted:

yeah, but when you think about it

yeah but it is sulk

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
teaching java first leads to a common affliction known as 'public void static' disease in new programmers. it is often terminal

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i think cs professors are bad at teaching coding the same as most math professors are bad at teaching basic calc

like they spend all day working on compiler theory or machine learning or what have you, they never think about how to teach someone whats an array or whats a string

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
they spend all day teaching people how to tell when a quick sort is more efficient than a merge sort but not how to refactor or why 'int a = ProcessStuff();' is bad code

then a bunch of cs grads go out and reuse temporary variables all over the place to ~save bytes~ and the result is an unreadable loving mess it's impossible to work with

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ridgely_Fan posted:

i think cs professors are bad at teaching coding the same as most math professors are bad at teaching basic calc

like they spend all day working on compiler theory or machine learning or what have you, they never think about how to teach someone whats an array or whats a string

well you have to go extra slow in an Intro class because there's always one middle-aged woman in the class for some inexplicable reason, who is incapable of ever understanding what a variable is, and has to have loops re-explained to her using a tortured analogy every week

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sweevo posted:

well you have to go extra slow in an Intro class because there's always one middle-aged woman in the class for some inexplicable reason,
its because a computer took her job hth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Char posted:

they spend all day teaching people how to tell when a quick sort is more efficient than a merge sort but not how to refactor or why 'int a = ProcessStuff();' is bad code

then a bunch of cs grads go out and reuse temporary variables all over the place to ~save bytes~ and the result is an unreadable loving mess it's impossible to work with

but on a micro controller you have little memory therefore

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Sulk posted:

Should be C++, that way you really get rid of people quickly

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Char posted:

If I have to say one nice thing about the old professor, it's that he would make you redo your project if you didn't use reasonably clear variable names and nice style :shobon:

It's like, barebones intro CS course for the sake of Engineering Distributions, not some core course for the major. It could be taught in any language so gently caress java who uses {} anymore its time for WHITESPACE

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ahhh spiders posted:

it's not fair to generalize i guess. but it makes it really easy for me to dismiss people because i ahte them all! ALL OF THEM GAHAHAHA

hey can't we all just get along

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tef posted:

teaching java first leads to a common affliction known as 'public void static' disease in new programmers. it is often terminal

public void static sounds like the most 90's EBM album

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

:stare:

isn't the point of engineer school to learn practical skills

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Internaut! posted:

:stare:

isn't the point of engineer school to learn practical skills

It's our functional programming & data structures class. I know nothing about OCaml, but I know it's the class that makes a bunch of people drop the major :v:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Gogey posted:

It's our functional programming & data structures class. I know nothing about OCaml, but I know it's the class that makes a bunch of people drop the major :v:

sounds like the same whiny bitches who asked "why are we using this scheme/ml/prolog poo poo when we already know c++???" in my programming language concepts class

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Sweevo posted:

well you have to go extra slow in an Intro class because there's always one middle-aged woman in the class for some inexplicable reason, who is incapable of ever understanding what a variable is, and has to have loops re-explained to her using a tortured analogy every week

why is this always true? always. every loving time. GO HOME AND BAKE SOMETHING WOMAN YOUR LIFE IS DEVOID OF MEANING.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Werthog posted:

sounds like the same whiny bitches who asked "why are we using this scheme/ml/prolog poo poo when we already know c++???" in my programming language concepts class

is your class offered within the context of a science degree, or an engineering degree

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Morkai posted:

why is this always true? always. every loving time. GO HOME AND BAKE SOMETHING WOMAN YOUR LIFE IS DEVOID OF MEANING.
it's you, you are the patriarchy

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Gazpacho posted:

it's you, you are the patriarchy

no, not all women. just the ones that insist on inflicting their mid-life crisis on me in this way.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that woman is an agent of the matriarchy. her HR job has been deprecated so they sent her to slow down future progress. if there are young, smart women in the class you can be guaranteed the matriarchy will do their best to stop them from moving forward.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
replace teh patriarchy with a catriarchy, jobbe donne.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Internaut! posted:

is your class offered within the context of a science degree, or an engineering degree

computer science. i was a comp. eng. and didn't have to take it but i did anyway because it was fun

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Internaut! posted:

The only difference between our Arts CS Degree and Eng. CS is the core. Eng has to take multivariable and physics (+ some intro engineering/stats stuff), Arts has those as whatever credits. So the B.A. CS students take that class too.

edit: oh yeah this is just CS in eng school, there's electrical and computer engineering as a different major.

Werthog posted:

It gets dropped because it's known to be one of the hardest classes in the major (along with the Operating Systems practicum), not because "a bloo bloo language."

Anyway, the K&R C textbook is amazing. Any others like this (preferably php because its the best (better than lua))?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Gogey posted:

The only difference between our Arts CS Degree and Eng. CS is the core. Eng has to take multivariable and physics (+ some intro engineering/stats stuff), Arts has those as whatever credits. So the B.A. CS students take that class too.

It gets dropped because it's known to be one of the hardest classes in the major (along with the Operating Systems practicum), not because "a bloo bloo language."

Anyway, the K&R C textbook is amazing. Any others like this (preferably php because its the best (better than lua))?

how the gently caress is CS an "art"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Werthog posted:

how the gently caress is CS an "art"

:(){:|:;};:

fin