Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh, by they way, yes, that is Richard Hatch in the movie.

Sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

The Piper posted:

There's not nearly enough love for Mutant in this thread. In fact, I'd say its on par with Buffalo Rider as the funniest VOD they've ever done.

I'm gonna have to disagree. After a solid first half or so, the jokes felt less frequent and funny, aside from maybe the whole McRib chomping the brother bit which is in the preview video anyway.

I've been thinking about picking up Jack The Giant Killer for a while, especially since years ago, me and an old roommate saw a bit of it on cable and remarked that it seemed like perfect material for a riff. Is it any good?

Behonkiss fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 21, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh, by they way, yes, that is Richard Hatch in the movie.

And John Saxon!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Here's hoping for a Mitchell reference!

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice

Behonkiss posted:

I'm gonna have to disagree. After a solid first half or so, the jokes felt less frequent and funny, aside from maybe the whole McRib chomping the brother bit which is in the preview video anyway.

I've been thinking about picking up Jack The Giant Killer for a while, especially since years ago, me and an old roommate saw a bit of it on cable and remarked that it seemed like perfect material for a riff. Is it any good?

Got the Jack and the Giant Killer Live VOD last week and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I was worried the audience laughter might make the riffs harder to hear but it really made the experience better.

Mutant definitely has it's moments: (DRAMAMINE, DRAMAMINE, DRAMAMINE! and "miiike" but I found myself very bored during long strings of the VOD.

However, it's still better than the Mesa of Lost Women.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

New VOD tomorrow!

What the hell is a kendo sword anyways?
Bring your Kendo sword out to the Aikido range, and make sure to brush up on your Katate if you're going to be our agent in the Middle East.

From the Redlettermedia review, I think Galaxy Invader's going to be my next VOD purchase.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

therealjon_ posted:

VODs own and I will buy them all.

Definitely my attitude as well. I like the Rifftrax of major movies, but the VODs of terrible old movies feel more MST3K-ish.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That movie screamed "shown on a Sunday Afternoon on an off-brand UHF station sometime during 1986".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just 10 minutes into Prisoners and they haven't convinced me they're in Los Angeles with the right-hand drive cars.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just 10 minutes into Prisoners and they haven't convinced me they're in Los Angeles with the right-hand drive cars.

It's actually South Africa.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's actually South Africa.

I know. That's the joke. Why pretend they're in LA at all? It's not important to the "plot".

jedibeavis
Mar 23, 2004

Bag 'em & tag 'em, Sarah!

Excuse me, Agent Walker.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Maybe they're all part-time postal workers?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

The Rifftrax site just got a makeover. I have to say, it's a bit of a improvement over the previous layout. Far less cluttered for one thing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Deal of the week? Is that new? Right now they have Indiana Jones and the Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull at half price, $1.99 from $3.99.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I wasn't sure about getting Prisoners, until I saw Kevin's reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF0Sw8X1V-c

loving sold.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mister Kingdom posted:

I know. That's the joke. Why pretend they're in LA at all? It's not important to the "plot".

Admitting it was South Africa might have made people mad, it was the 1980s after all and there was that little Apartheid matter.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

:aaa:

I knew I recognized this, Prisoners is the bait and switch intro to Mst3k S3 - Stranded in Space.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Jigoku San posted:

:aaa:

I knew I recognized this, Prisoners is the bait and switch intro to Mst3k S3 - Stranded in Space.

I just fired this up to check. Why the hell is their title sequence from a completely different movie? That... but... :psyboom:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bedurndurn posted:

I just fired this up to check. Why the hell is their title sequence from a completely different movie? That... but... :psyboom:

So this is the second time Rifftrax went after the "bait and switch" movie? Since the one from Podpeople got riffed as well. That's good of them to remmeber other movies if they appear in a prior movie (same deal with Batwoman and the Molepeople).

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Rirse posted:

So this is the second time Rifftrax went after the "bait and switch" movie? Since the one from Podpeople got riffed as well. That's good of them to remmeber other movies if they appear in a prior movie (same deal with Batwoman and the Molepeople).

I feel kind of weird knowing the context of those clips at the beginning of Pod People :(

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bobservo posted:

I feel kind of weird knowing the context of those clips at the beginning of Pod People :(

You go back post more Retronauts episodes already. :D

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rirse posted:

Which MST's does this leave then? I think Master Ninja's I and II are the only other ones.

edit: I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't seen Galaxy Invader yet, is it worth it?

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 24, 2012

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Which MST's does this leave then? I think Master Ninja's I and II are the only other ones.

edit: I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't seen Galaxy Invader yet, is it worth it?

Cave Dwellers had a bait and switch opening as well.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Space Travelers (which is the FVI distribution of the star studded, academy award winning Marooned) is another one like the Master Ninja ones with some color changed stock footage.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think that sawed-off little poo poo in Prisoners might be the most loathsome character in Rifftrax history. He even beats out Babar from Sons of Hercules.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice

RagingBoner posted:

Cave Dwellers had a bait and switch opening as well.

Apparently the opening footage is from "Taur the Mighty"

Get on that Mike.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Goddamn, Prisoners of the Lost Universe is a hilarious riff and an absolutely TERRIBLE movie. Every character is completely unpleasant in every way. The best part of course is the ending where the main characters are able to come back to Earth through a not explained way.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

muscles like this? posted:

Goddamn, Prisoners of the Lost Universe is a hilarious riff and an absolutely TERRIBLE movie. Every character is completely unpleasant in every way. The best part of course is the ending where the main characters are able to come back to Earth through a not explained way.

"WHAT ABOUT MY WEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHTCH!?"

Also, did anyone notice the characters swear an awful lot for no reason, especially for a movie of this genre? I don't know of any other fantasy films where the phrase "goddamn" is used so liberally.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think that sawed-off little poo poo in Prisoners might be the most loathsome character in Rifftrax history. He even beats out Babar from Sons of Hercules.

Worse than Joe from Galaxy Invader?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bobservo posted:

Worse than Joe from Galaxy Invader?

Oh yes. Joe does worse poo poo, but this fucker is just excruciating and unpleasant to watch.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

One of the MST3K Godzillas had footage from Son of Godzilla for credits.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

One of the MST3K Godzillas had footage from Son of Godzilla for credits.

That was Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, aka the one when they show up late and don't know the name of the movie.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Buffalo Rider riff is so good, my god. The interludes of nature videos (the raccoon) are weird as hell.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Goddamn it, what is with the ridiculous cartoon sound effects in Prisoners?? Please tell me that the foley guy for that movie never worked again.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Goddamn it, what is with the ridiculous cartoon sound effects in Prisoners?? Please tell me that the foley guy for that movie never worked again.

The sound engineer (and likely foley artist) went on to do a LOT of stuff, including Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut.

But the sound effects speak to what I commented on earlier: is this a goofy family movie (silly effects, goofy plot and acting), or is it a more serious action fantasy (multiple attempted rapes, loads of needless swearing). The whole movie is just a loving MESS.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 27, 2012

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
All I know about Prisoners is that the horde of Palpatines bit had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

RagingBoner posted:

The sound engineer (and likely foley artist) went on to do a LOT of stuff, including Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut.

Further proof that Kubrick was batshit insane.

edit: Holy poo poo, the lead actress was American Maid on The Tick!!!:aaaaa:

edit2: Less surprising, Malachi was in Hawk the Slayer. And so was the Green Man. Why hasn't Hawk been Riffed yet?!?

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 27, 2012

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Anyone know if the upcoming Manos event will use the high quality version found by a goon or the same old cut from before.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Liar Lyre posted:

Anyone know if the upcoming Manos event will use the high quality version found by a goon or the same old cut from before.

I think I remember hearing that it's the old version, not the new HD cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure that it will be another restoration, not the same one from MST3k, but not the one Ben Solo from these forums is working on.

• Locked thread