Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Werthog posted:

how the gently caress is CS an "art"

http://utf-8.jp/public/aaencode.html

school of arts & sciences gives out bachelors of arts (they give out both for CS at brown too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Werthog posted:

sounds like the same whiny bitches who asked "why are we using this scheme/ml/prolog poo poo when we already know c++???" in my programming language concepts class

I remember our take home final in that class was to solve 50 problems in scheme, ml and prolog. That poo poo loving owned.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Internaut! posted:

:stare:

isn't the point of engineer school to learn practical skills

have you spent much time in conversation with the results of an engineering school?
i mean if you want to talk to them about mechanics or computer thing, great.

just don't ever ever ever ever ever bring discussions about anything else up or this is what happens.

EMILY BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 22, 2012

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Gogey posted:

http://utf-8.jp/public/aaencode.html

school of arts & sciences gives out bachelors of arts (they give out both for CS at brown too)
i still don't get the difference (it's got "science" right in the loving name) but whatever, some schools are dumb i guess

MEAT TREAT posted:

I remember our take home final in that class was to solve 50 problems in scheme, ml and prolog. That poo poo loving owned.
one of our last prolog assignments of the semester was pretty difficult and when i finally figured it out i threw the solution up on pastebin for a classmate of mine, but forgot to tick the 'private' checkbox. the entire class had it within hours :engleft:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Resplendent Spiral posted:

have you spent much time in conversation with the results of an engineering school?

just don't ever ever ever ever ever bring discussions about anything else up or this is what happens.

bingo

computer engineering people are all about the androids because "the intersection of technology and liberal arts" is yet another intersection they don't want to be at

rather be at the intersection of technology and animes

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

bingo

computer engineering people are all about the androids because "the intersection of technology and liberal arts" is yet another intersection they don't want to be at

rather be at the intersection of technology and animes

one of my favorite classes i ever took was how technology influences the way people communicate, we covered stuff like why people still say 'hi this is X' even though caller ID makes it pointless (it's to make sure that the other person can hear you and can respond)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

its because a computer took her job hth
or she got a divorce

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the failure to "get" computer science's dependence on abstract math and the importance of having a good math background before going into CS is not exclusive to "non-traditional" students btw

and when i went through engineering school it was (one) middle aged guy in every class not getting things so there

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Gazpacho posted:

or she got a divorce

all the ones i met it was because they were a housewife for 20 years, then when the kids grew up and moved out they just wanted something to do and decided to get some eduction having got married at 17 and missed out. no problem with that.

by why do they ALWAYS choose introduction of programming? when they clearly have no aptitude for programming and grind the class to a halt by making the tutor re-explain variables to them for 20 minutes every week

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
also when i went back for the CS degree it was me, i was the guy

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

yaoi prophet posted:

one of my favorite classes i ever took was how technology influences the way people communicate, we covered stuff like why people still say 'hi this is X' even though caller ID makes it pointless (it's to make sure that the other person can hear you and can respond)

i seem to remember david crystal's 'language and the internet' having some neat stuff to say about this kinda thing

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Resplendent Spiral posted:

normally I wouldn't think it possible to turn an offhand comment about the practicality of an obscure programming language into a gbs-style derail about equality

and yet here we are

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Internaut! posted:

normally I wouldn't think it possible to turn an offhand comment about the practicality of an obscure programming language into a gbs-style derail about equality

and yet here we are

yospos, bitch

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Sweevo posted:

all the ones i met it was because they were a housewife for 20 years, then when the kids grew up and moved out they just wanted something to do and decided to get some eduction having got married at 17 and missed out. no problem with that.

by why do they ALWAYS choose introduction of programming? when they clearly have no aptitude for programming and grind the class to a halt by making the tutor re-explain variables to them for 20 minutes every week

probably because they figure computers are the big thing right now do if they can learn to program they'll be set

also you don't notice the ones in other intro classes because you're not in them

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internaut! posted:

and yet here we are

basically he is saying that he is a woman, and you are scott adams :confused:

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
ugh all this schooltalk makes me want to post a small novel about how ridiculous my entire cs education was but nobody cares so ill just say this:

my intro class did not feature any programming langauge at all, it did not even feature computers. only "pseudocode" written longhand on paper. and something called "structure charts" which im still not sure what they are (aside from pseudocode statements written inside little boxes) but they are definitely NOT flow charts which are evil.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JawnV6 posted:

:(){:|:;};:

fin

love me some APL

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

ugh all this schooltalk makes me want to post a small novel about how ridiculous my entire cs education was but nobody cares so ill just say this:

my intro class did not feature any programming langauge at all, it did not even feature computers. only "pseudocode" written longhand on paper. and something called "structure charts" which im still not sure what they are (aside from pseudocode statements written inside little boxes) but they are definitely NOT flow charts which are evil.
to get my CS minor in the 90s i had to take a software engineering class taught by an ex-IBM cargo cultist who spent the entire semester explaining structured programming theory in pseudocode, i drank the kool-aid and was damaged for years

e: he actually made people recite. in a loving 20th century american university course

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 23, 2012

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tinselt0wn posted:

love me some APL

:cripes:

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

all languages are virtually the same, hth

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Internaut! posted:

:stare:

isn't the point of engineer school to learn practical skills

i got passed over for what seemed like a sweet finance sector job because i didn't know ocaml, ymmv

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Sweevo posted:

if the tutor doesnt politely ask them to come to office hours they are a bad tutor

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

:(){:|:;};:

fin

|

ceci n'est pas une pipe

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
the coolest class i took was social implications of technology & we just watched koyaanisqatsi and sci fi movies

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
univ. of edinburgh has the computer science ("informatics") building in the liberal arts campus and all the other engineering stuff way outside town in the science campus

i think they have the right idea

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

rotor posted:

i got passed over for what seemed like a sweet finance sector job because i didn't know ocaml, ymmv

was it jane street, they're known for being very proud of their special snowflake tech which iirc in tyool 2005 was vb6

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Internaut! posted:

was it jane street, they're known for being very proud of their special snowflake tech which iirc in tyool 2005 was vb6

i know a few people there and they seem to like it. ive thought once or twice about learning ocaml just to work there, but on the other hand... ocaml

other terrible 'learn a language get a job' ideas include scala for working at foursquare

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
speaking of which, internaut, which would you rather work at -- a proprietary trading type place (trading internal money to get the partners rich), or a mutual fund type place (trading on gramma's money and trying not force her to eat cat food during retirement)?

i'm thinknig i'd almost lean toward the former. even though you're not doing the public any good, your ability to do the public serious damage is smaller

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ridgely_Fan posted:

i know a few people there and they seem to like it. ive thought once or twice about learning ocaml just to work there, but on the other hand... ocaml

other terrible 'learn a language get a job' ideas include scala for working at foursquare

twitter uses scala too

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
so does yammer

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Ridgely_Fan posted:

eh twitter and tumblr are using scala pretty heavily too, it's pretty solid tech but yeah the language is pretty big for my taste

Ridgely_Fan posted:

speaking of which, internaut, which would you rather work at -- a proprietary trading type place (trading internal money to get the partners rich), or a mutual fund type place (trading on gramma's money and trying not force her to eat cat food during retirement)?

i'm thinknig i'd almost lean toward the former. even though you're not doing the public any good, your ability to do the public serious damage is smaller

well hedges can blow up the economy pretty easily while mutual funds are generally a lot more conservative, prop trading/hft shops have much shorter time horizons and will blow themselves up long before they can do serious damage barring if they knock out an exchange or two ala flash crash

if I were a young guy starting all over again I'd work for a small established hedge fund as they have all the benefits of a startup without the drawbacks, e.g. it's a very dynamic environment with leading tech and hard problems but they also pay well and the equipment/facilities are world class

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Ridgely_Fan posted:

ocaml my caml

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

*invents perl* my work here is done

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
a downside to working in funds these days is that you may end up having to revert to the tech equivalent of stone knives and bearskins in the pursuit of performance; it's all well and good to get a phd in machine learning using high level neurosymbolic processors or whatever but at the end of the day if you're using it for trading you'll end up implementing that bitch in C99 if you're lucky; horrors like fortran and asm are not unheard of and the trend is increasing although thankfully commercial gpu and fpga interfaces are mostly (all?) C-based at the moment

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
it seems like a lot of the math that funds do is high-dimensional integrals that they have to use mcmc / gibbs / whatever sampling for, and it seems like that stuff would be pretty amenable to cuda

but maybe that's way off base

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Internaut! posted:

a downside to working in funds these days is that you may end up having to revert to the tech equivalent of stone knives and bearskins in the pursuit of performance; it's all well and good to get a phd in machine learning using high level neurosymbolic processors or whatever but at the end of the day if you're using it for trading you'll end up implementing that bitch in C99 if you're lucky; horrors like fortran and asm are not unheard of and the trend is increasing although thankfully commercial gpu and fpga interfaces are mostly (all?) C-based at the moment

what's up with this thing i hear where there's some freaky server based version of excel that gets used

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Rufo posted:

*invents perl* my work here is done

the lord's work, really

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Really cause I heard the bad thing about working in the financial sector as CS is horrible hours, constant strict deadlines and pressure, and the knowledge that if you gently caress up, you gently caress up a lot of things hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Gogey posted:

Really cause I heard the bad thing about working in the financial sector as CS is horrible hours, constant strict deadlines and pressure, and the knowledge that if you gently caress up, you gently caress up a lot of things hard?

this is true a lot of places, financial and otherwise