Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Locrian
Jul 3, 2003
Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

Agesilaus posted:

What school do you go to? Are MBA programmes suffering the same way that law schools are, with large numbers of unemployed graduates? This is my number one fear, because having been through law school myself I know that american academia is not afraid to be dishonest and rip people off. Seeing the tuition fee for MBA programmes makes me worried.

I know you weren't asking me directly, but I'll answer anyway from my perspective. I went to a top-25ish school; we are definitely below Ross in the rankings. A month ago, 55% of our class had jobs. I haven't seen the updated number but it seems like almost everyone has something now. The people without jobs are generally slackers, non U.S. citizens, or have ridiculous expectations, although there is one really well-qualified guy who has been struggling. If I had to guess I'd say 85% of us are employed.

Tuition is undoubtedly high, but in my case the increase in opportunities and compensation was totally worth it. With my new job, within a couple of years I will be able to pay off my loans and recoup the opportunity cost of not working for two years while in school. In terms of career growth, I'm in a much, much better situation than I was pre-MBA, but that is hard to quantify or value.

The value of an MBA will be different for everyone, but I don't think the prospects for MBAs are anywhere nearly as grim as I hear they are for law schoolers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Thoguh posted:

drat. Percentages like that sure make me glad I did a part time program and never quit my job. What industry are you wanting to get into?

I'm a bit of an odd duck, I'm trying to get into the foreign service. In the short term, to pay the bills, I've been interviewing with a wide variety of companies, mostly ones that provide products or services to the government.

quote:

What school do you go to? Are MBA programmes suffering the same way that law schools are, with large numbers of unemployed graduates? This is my number one fear, because having been through law school myself I know that american academia is not afraid to be dishonest and rip people off. Seeing the tuition fee for MBA programmes makes me worried.

I also go to a top-25ish school. And it's probably not as bad as I made it out to be, but as of a month before graduation it was around 50%. I haven't received the updated report, but I'd be surprised if it was as good as Super Locrian's 85% guess.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ThirdPartyView posted:

So what exactly do you prescribe as being a 'high class concern'? I want to understand what exactly your perspective of things are before I respond fully to this assertion.

The quickest way to explain myself is to say that gentlemen are concerned about the same issues that concerned ancients like Plato and Xunzi; being high class means being given to moral philosophy. A gentleman focuses on questions about what ought to be, and how that ideal ought to be attained and preserved. One may dedicate oneself to such matters in a variety of ways, such as being a priest or a criminal prosecutor, or perhaps simply by doing any other job while at the same time allowing the classics to influence one's decisions and behaviour.

The point is, noble gentlemen are different from common businessmen because they have different concerns, different levels of moral understanding, and they ought to have different degrees of social status and power. Gentlemen do not model themselves on commoners who become popular, they instead look to good men and read moral biographies like Plutarch's Lives. It is entirely possible for a gentleman to attend an MBA programme and work in a large corporation, just as it is possible for some commoner to study law and then become president. Yet, as people they are two very different beings; in their speech and behaviour they are distinct, and in a just world these differences would be clearly recognised and reflected in society. The gentleman would be disappointed in an MBA programme because the experience would be lacking the essential, high class element, and he would likely feel a tad dirty after rubbing shoulders with those who think the experience was whole.

Super Locrian posted:

I know you weren't asking me directly, but I'll answer anyway from my perspective. I went to a top-25ish school...

Tyro posted:

I also go to a top-25ish school...

Thanks for the information. My understanding is that Ross is ranked about 15, is that fair to say? Is there a big difference between a top 25 school and a number 15 school in terms of job opportunities, prestige, and earning potential? In law school there would be a fair bit of different, but I'm not sure about MBAs.

My wife makes 96k right now at a very large corporation in IT auditing, but she wants to switch to a management consulting track. She doesn't have the citizenship problem and she's very studious and good at networking, so I can't imagine she'd have difficulties finding some sort of position (my understanding is she can always return to her present job, anyway). If an MBA wouldn't bump her earning potential by very much, though, and if management work can be done easily enough without another degree, I might advise her to consider staying on at work.

Is there a rough guideline to how much debt is normally taken on by people for their MBA? I already have to pay a few hundred a month to cover my own academic debt, and then there's money for home loans and the like, so I'm curious about what the average amount of debt is. I think she has to pay 100% with no support from her current employer, but on the other hand I hear that some places will help you pay off your loans when you are hired post-graduation, does this happen very often?

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 20, 2012

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Agesilaus posted:

The quickest way to explain myself is to say that gentlemen are concerned about the same issues that concerned ancients like Plato and Xunzi; being high class means being given to moral philosophy. A gentleman focuses on questions about what ought to be, and how that ideal ought to be attained and preserved. One may dedicate oneself to such matters in a variety of ways, such as being a priest or a criminal prosecutor, or perhaps simply by doing any other job while at the same time allowing the classics to influence one's decisions and behaviour.

The point is, noble gentlemen are different from common businessmen because they have different concerns, different levels of moral understanding, and they ought to have different degrees of social status and power. Gentlemen do not model themselves on commoners who become popular, they instead look to good men and read moral biographies like Plutarch's Lives. It is entirely possible for a gentleman to attend an MBA programme and work in a large corporation, just as it is possible for some commoner to study law and then become president. Yet, as people they are two very different beings; in their speech and behaviour they are distinct, and in a just world these differences would be clearly recognised and reflected in society. The gentleman would be disappointed in an MBA programme because the experience would be lacking the essential, high class element, and he would likely feel a tad dirty after rubbing shoulders with those who think the experience was whole.
:goonsay:

Agesilaus posted:

My wife makes 96k right now at a very large corporation in IT auditing, but she wants to switch to a management consulting track. She doesn't have the citizenship problem and she's very studious and good at networking, so I can't imagine she'd have difficulties finding some sort of position (my understanding is she can always return to her present job, anyway). If an MBA wouldn't bump her earning potential by very much, though, and if management work can be done easily enough without another degree, I might advise her to consider staying on at work.
I worked in management consulting for 2 years. For any of the major consultancies, there are 3 realistic entry points:

1. Undergraduate recruiting
2. MBA recruiting
3. Experienced hire recruiting

Of these, 2 will give you the best success rate, while 3 is the worst - especially coming from from an IT audit background. I would go as far as to say that with her work experience, she could only expect to be considered for Big 4/Accenture types of firms, and even that would be a tough sell unless she is really an all star.

I can tell you that post-MBA positions in management consulting will gross ~$160K (salary + performance bonus). The first year will also give you sign-on of around $20K. There are obviously other benefits like 401K matching, tons of hotel and airline points, per diems for travel, stock purchase programs for the public consultancies, etc. More importantly, the cap in this industry is much higher than the cap in internal IT audit. However, the hours will obviously be worse.

If her ultimate goal is management consulting, Ross will definitely open doors for her. In her position, I would absolutely go, especially if the only thing holding you back is cost (Ross is actually one of the cheaper good schools) and some :spergin: opinions.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 20, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pissingintowind posted:

I worked in management consulting for 2 years. For any of the major consultancies, there are 3 realistic entry points:

1. Undergraduate recruiting
2. MBA recruiting
3. Experienced hire recruiting

Of these, 2 will give you the best success rate, while 3 is the worst - especially coming from from an IT audit background. I would go as far as to say that with her work experience, she could only expect to be considered for Big 4/Accenture types of firms, and even that would be a tough sell unless she is really an all star.

I can tell you that post-MBA positions in management consulting will gross ~$160K (salary + performance bonus). The first year will also give you sign-on of around $20K. There are obviously other benefits like 401K matching, tons of hotel and airline points, per diems for travel, stock purchase programs for the public consultancies, etc. More importantly, the cap in this industry is much higher than the cap in internal IT audit. However, the hours will obviously be worse.

If her ultimate goal is management consulting, Ross will definitely open doors for her. In her position, I would absolutely go, especially if the only thing holding you back is cost (Ross is actually one of the cheaper good schools) and some :spergin: opinions.

Thanks, this post answered a lot of questions. Another concern my wife has is whether or not there's a stereotype that management consultants should be male. Do you think that it's harder for women to get into the management consulting field, and if so, is it much harder to the point that it should influence her decision to go?

Also, you mentioned you have two years management consulting experience. If you don't mind me asking, did you get in through an MBA programme, and did you find that your experience in management consulting opened up a lot of doors to future career changes (I assume you work in a different field now).

As for my opinions, I wouldn't have gone into them if not specifically asked. It's a tad rude to tell a cobbler he's just a cobbler simply for the sake of reminding him. My wife has her own opinions, though, and she's pretty independent minded, so my opinions on social status don't weigh into the equation all that much. I am more concerned that in making her decision she is likely to get what she wants and that the debt and two years of studying won't come back to bite us in the arse.

EDIT:

Also, should my wife get her CPA before attending the MBA programme (she can defer for a year or so because she made the down payment)? Would a CPA make her more attractive for management consulting? Her current degree is Management in Information Systems. Basically, is it worth waiting a year to get her CPA done?

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 20, 2012

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Agesilaus posted:

Thanks, this post answered a lot of questions. One issue that my wife raised was whether or not there's a stereotype that management consultants should be male. Do you think that it's harder for women to get into the management consulting field, and if so, is it much harder to the point that it should influence her decision to go?

Also, you mentioned you have two years management consulting experience. If you don't mind me asking, did you get in through an MBA programme, and did you find that your experience in management consulting opened up a lot of doors to future career changes (I assume you work in a different field now).

At my firm (which was of the Big 4/Accenture type) the split between men and women was roughly even. I know that we put a big emphasis on recruiting women coming out of MBA programs, and provided special benefits to women like additional maternity leave. I don't think this should be a problem for her.

I actually got in through undergraduate recruiting. Consulting opened a lot of doors - I currently work in corporate strategy for a top 50 company in terms of market capitalization. Almost everyone in these kind of groups (corporate strategy, business development, corporate development) is a former consultant or banker. While I was searching for a new job, I had no trouble getting interviews - in fact, many come unsolicited, just because I had consulting experience listed on my LinkedIn page.

I haven't gone back for an MBA yet, but plan to after making the internal strategy vs. strategy consulting decision. If I get accepted into Ross when I apply in 2-3 years, I will probably go unless I get into a higher ranking school. Ross is a solid top 15 school - after the top 15 is where you really have to start questioning the ROI, or if you will be able to be at the top of the pack.

EDIT:

I literally don't know anyone in the consulting arm of my firm that has a CPA. Don't bother unless she wants to be an accountant.

EDIT 2:

Have a look at the Ross employment numbers:

http://www.bus.umich.edu/EmploymentData/TopHiringCompanies.htm
http://www.bus.umich.edu/EmploymentData/ByIndustry.htm

Deloitte, McKinsey, BCG, Accenture, Bain, PwC, and ATK are good consulting firms to end up at. They make up 7/13 of the top employers at Ross. More than a quarter of the graduating class ends up in consulting.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 20, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pissingintowind posted:

(info)

Thanks again, I just read that post to her and she had a question: when she attends the MBA programme, what major should she pick given that she's aiming to get into management consulting? I believe the choices are something like finance, marketing, etc.

At this point, with the answers I've gotten so far, I'm happy to support her decision to go to an MBA programme and take on some debt. My experience with law school made me very wary about the post-graduation prospects, but so far it sounds a lot different.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What are some good GMAT books that have questions from older GMAT exams? I have gone through the Manhattan set of GMAT review books and they are great, but the questions are purely to help test the math, and I want to practice answering questions as they appear on the GMAT. Preferably books with tougher questions for test-takers that desire to score above 700.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 20, 2012

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Agesilaus posted:

Thanks again, I just read that post to her and she had a question: when she attends the MBA programme, what major should she pick given that she's aiming to get into management consulting? I believe the choices are something like finance, marketing, etc.

At this point, with the answers I've gotten so far, I'm happy to support her decision to go to an MBA programme and take on some debt. My experience with law school made me very wary about the post-graduation prospects, but so far it sounds a lot different.

I'm not sure if major matters so much as just generally being able to do well, and networking with your peers/recruiters/future employers. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I'm assuming your law school experience was negative because you didn't go to a T14? Business school is very much the same - the top tier is called M7, after that is the top 15, and after that I probably wouldn't bother going. I'm a firm believer in that one should only attend business school for recruiting (which is only worthwhile at the top schools), or for networking (same). This is why, in my opinion, the major doesn't really matter - you're not learning anything massively groundbreaking, the hardest part is getting in.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pron on VHS posted:

What are some good GMAT books that have questions from older GMAT exams? I have gone through the Manhattan set of GMAT review books and they are great, but the questions are purely to help test the math, and I want to practice answering questions as they appear on the GMAT. Preferably books with tougher questions for test-takers that desire to score above 700.

Go to the GMAT website and download the practice tests. Those are actual old questions.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pissingintowind posted:

I'm assuming your law school experience was negative because you didn't go to a T14? Business school is very much the same - the top tier is called M7, after that is the top 15, and after that I probably wouldn't bother going. I'm a firm believer in that one should only attend business school for recruiting (which is only worthwhile at the top schools), or for networking (same). This is why, in my opinion, the major doesn't really matter - you're not learning anything massively groundbreaking, the hardest part is getting in.

I went to IU Bloomington for law school, and my experience was negative because I have very little respect or appreciation for american law schools in general. I dislike them for a wide range of reasons, from the way they teach to the amount they charge, but the most relevant thing here is the way law schools lie about their statistics and their post-graduation prospects, as well as the way that debt can overwhelm many new lawyers. I graduated with the job I wanted, thankfully, and I'm glad to hear that MBA programmes like Ross aren't dishonest money sinks that lead people in by the nose and then still expect to be paid when the truth is revealed post-graduation.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Agesilaus posted:

Honestly, I've heard this argumentation done before at my MBA program as one of the theoretical bases of leadership and I simply don't agree with its assertions or conclusions, but that's an argument for D&D, so I'll leave it there.

Agesilaus posted:

Also, should my wife get her CPA before attending the MBA programme (she can defer for a year or so because she made the down payment)? Would a CPA make her more attractive for management consulting? Her current degree is Management in Information Systems. Basically, is it worth waiting a year to get her CPA done?

Does she even have the qualifying number of credit hours to sit for the CPA exam and get the CPA? Also, has she worked for 1-2 years under a CPA to get the CPA (some states do allow non-experience CPAs that can't sign off on audits)? She may not even qualify for this options depending on the course load she took in her MIS program.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 21, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ThirdPartyView posted:

Does she even have the qualifying number of credit hours to sit for the CPA exam and get the CPA? Also, has she worked for 1-2 years under a CPA to get the CPA (some states do allow non-experience CPAs that can't sign off on audits)? She may not even qualify for this options depending on the course load she took in her MIS program.

Yes, she's qualified to take the CPA exam (we're in Illinois, btw). She's been working for three years or so since getting her MIS degree, and during that time she took a number of CPA-related classes. At this point she is eligible to take the exam, but she needs to study a lot if she intends to pass.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Agesilaus posted:

Yes, she's qualified to take the CPA exam (we're in Illinois, btw). She's been working for three years or so since getting her MIS degree, and during that time she took a number of CPA-related classes. At this point she is eligible to take the exam, but she needs to study a lot if she intends to pass.

So, apparently Illinois has the 2 licenses (Registration which is non-experience and CPA which is experience):

quote:

Registration License: Effective October 1, 2006, after the CPA certificate is issued by the Illinois Board of Examiners, no person shall hold him or herself out to the public in any manner by using the title “certified public accountant” or use the abbreviation “CPA” unless he or she maintains a current Registration license issued by IDFPR. Registration is renewable every three years. The Registration license is required of all CPAs not performing audit and attest functions. There is no CPE or experience requirement for the Registration license.

Certified Public Accounting License: In order to perform the audit and attest function in Illinois, you must fulfill a one-year experience requirement to qualify for a license to practice as a Licensed Certified Public Accountant. The license is renewable every three years and requires 120 hours of CPE for renewal. Without a license to practice public accounting you may not express an opinion on a financial statement based on an audit or examination of a financial statement or issue a report expressing assurance on a financial statement. If you obtain a license to practice public accounting in Illinois, you are not required to register your certificate. You may acquire both licenses in Illinois, but you MUST hold at least one license in order to hold yourself out to the public in any fashion as a CPA. There is much uniformity in practice and rules, however each jurisdiction in the United States has its own statutes and regulations under which it operates. If you reside and work outside Illinois, you are subject to the rules and statute of that jurisdiction. You should contact the specific State Board of Accountancy as to what constitutes legal and proper use of the CPA designation in another state. In most states you may not hold out as a CPA until you have passed the exam and met all requirements for licensure in that state. Links to all State Boards of Accountancy can be found at the Web site of the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy, https://www.nasba.org.

And here are the specific educational requirements.

As for the exam itself, I would say around 24 weeks (6 months) is probably the amount of time necessary to pass the 4 exam parts the first go-around (Financial Accounting and Regulation requiring 7-8 weeks and Business Environment & Concepts and Auditing and Attestation only needing 4-6 weeks).

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010
I have a female classmate who is a former Accenture employee. No CPA required. She was an engineering major in undergrad, so ymmv with IT, but I wouldn't expect it to be a hindrance to your wife. I would make sure to bring that up with admissions and any current students she speaks with to determine a more concrete appreciation for what options she may have.

To your earlier point, I agree that there can be some aspects of MBA life that are classless (sales. ew.), but I have had several seminars where I wrangled with ethical problems that would not have looked out of place at a law or divinity school. I got to apply that freshly learned theory in a real-life situation consulting for a company in India. I wouldn't write the experience off just because you're not dealing exclusively with abstract concepts.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm hitting the two year point for my first job and I'm considering going back for an mba because I basically want to be the boss and I'm good at/enjoy school.

I'm in IT, currently I'm a business systems analyst but I'm very interested in moving into project management as my next step. I know you don't need an mba to do that but i think at some point I'm going to need that advanced degree.

I'm just wondering if I'd be better served going for the mba now or just looking for pm type positions now and putting the mba for later.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

I'm hitting the two year point for my first job and I'm considering going back for an mba because I basically want to be the boss and I'm good at/enjoy school.

I'm in IT, currently I'm a business systems analyst but I'm very interested in moving into project management as my next step. I know you don't need an mba to do that but i think at some point I'm going to need that advanced degree.

I'm just wondering if I'd be better served going for the mba now or just looking for pm type positions now and putting the mba for later.

Are you thinking about stopping work and going full time, or a part time program while working?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I was originally thinking part time but hr apparently reads minds because they're changing the policy to require you to work a year after you get your degree to avoid repayment. I really don't want to stay were I'm at for 4 or more years. The pay is below average and i don't think the company is going in the right direction. Especially for me since we don't even have project managers as far as I can tell.

My parents are somewhat willing to support me and pay for school but I haven't said anything yet and nothing is assured.

I know the general consensus is don't quit to go to school, but what if I'm not interested in staying where I'm at no matter what?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
None of my friends who have jumped ship during or after taking classes was actually forced to pony up the cash, but your mileage might vary on that.

If you want to change industries or otherwise hugely alter your career path then go full time for sure. If you want to move up in your current career path you might consider just sucking it up and working there while studying and that extra year, especially since it sounds like tuition reimbursement is part of your compensation. Because if you quit and go full time you'll not only be losing your salary, but also having to pay the tuition, and losing 2-3 years of work experience.

Note: This also depends on what options are available for part time. If all of the schools within commuting distance are degree mills then that would change your options.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I work for my dad, who is basically a 1-man consulting firm that assists companies in setting up and optimizing their program management offices. I have worked for this company for almost 2 years, and graduated in 2010 with a degree in Economics (I started work there while I was still in undergrad). My title is Business Analyst, but since it's a two man company I have done a ton of varying work, and haven't really established any sort of niche either in this company or in the consulting industry. What I mean is, for 2 months I analyzed Excel spreadsheets and wrote up small summaries/reports, or created those spreadsheets from SQL data...and then for 4-6 months I assisted in the setting up of a SharePoint site (as the primary tool/deliverable in PMO modernization) for our client to use. My duties in that included everything from creating lists and site templates for the site (I have NO programming experience, it was all done through the browser, not even Designer) to interviewing the client's program managers to get a better understanding of what their needs were for the site.

My point is, I haven't really developed any real skills after working here for a year. Instead, I have gotten a small taste of a variety of things. A few months of learning and utilizing real basic SQL queries and Excel Pivot Tables, then a few months of learning the ins and outs of SharePoint, and along the way a ton of little typical entry-level busywork, including proofreading spelling/grammar in our reports, etc.

I am applying for Fall 2013, so by the time I attend (assuming I get into a program) I will have over 3 years of 'experience' here. I am terrified that b-schools will look at my work experience and laugh, since I work for my dad in an extremely small 2-man company, and since I have not really gone in any specific direction in the field of project management consulting. I can't just leave and find another job, I don't want to be looking for jobs 3-4 months before Round 1 applications are due and I also am skeptical of my ability to even move laterally given how nebulous and random my job duties have been here at my current job.

I don't really have a specific question, I was just wondering how I can massage my work experience (without outright lying) in interviews/essays/resume to make it look like I have been a valuable part of a solid company. If any goons who are in the field of program/project management consulting have any specific advice that would be awesome too.

My dad is convinced he can fudge the details and lie about my work experience so that I can sit for the PMP exam sometime this summer (I believe you need 3 years experience in LEADING projects to sit for this? I have 2 years of busy-work experience), I don't really believe him so I haven't been hitting the PMP books that hard, I was wondering about taking the CAPM instead since that is more appropriate for my level of experience.

All of my GMAT/essay/GPA/recommendation fears pale compared to this, as I know work experience is king for b-school admissions. I am pretty worried about this, it's consuming most of my thoughts during the work day. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance guys.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 23, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I see lots of people asking about Project Management (PMI). I'm interested in this, although I don't know if it's too specific for this thread.

As an MBA applicant in the tech industry (and someone who didn't bother with these classes the first time around), I may never be a PM myself, but I anticipate I'll have PMs working for me. I've been taking continuing education courses on the topic, and am thinking about sitting for the CAPM. I'd prefer the PMP, but you do have to have a lot of experience actually leading projects.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Small White Dragon posted:

I see lots of people asking about Project Management (PMI). I'm interested in this, although I don't know if it's too specific for this thread.

As an MBA applicant in the tech industry (and someone who didn't bother with these classes the first time around), I may never be a PM myself, but I anticipate I'll have PMs working for me. I've been taking continuing education courses on the topic, and am thinking about sitting for the CAPM. I'd prefer the PMP, but you do have to have a lot of experience actually leading projects.

I was going to say the CAPM probably isn't for you, but the FAQ about it says it's for potential sponsors, facilitators, liaisons, and coordinators. It might be a useful tool. (I've taken some online training related to it, though, and it's super dry. Lots of stupid rote memorization.

In terms of getting hired somewhere, I'd bet just having an MBA will way outshine having a CAPM. If you thinking about needing a CAPM to get into b-school, I doubt it's an issue. I've heard of a CAPM because I was thinking about trying to get one, but hardly anyone else has ever heard of it (or at least they don't talk about it like they do the PMP.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

CellBlock posted:

I was going to say the CAPM probably isn't for you, but the FAQ about it says it's for potential sponsors, facilitators, liaisons, and coordinators. It might be a useful tool. (I've taken some online training related to it, though, and it's super dry. Lots of stupid rote memorization.
Online training for the CAPM specifically? Where? How is it?

I've taken some evening/online courses related to Project Management at UCLA Extension, so I've got a lot of the basics nailed down, but -- as you said -- it sounds like the exams involve a lot of rote memorization.

CellBlock posted:

In terms of getting hired somewhere, I'd bet just having an MBA will way outshine having a CAPM. If you thinking about needing a CAPM to get into b-school, I doubt it's an issue. I've heard of a CAPM because I was thinking about trying to get one, but hardly anyone else has ever heard of it (or at least they don't talk about it like they do the PMP.)
Certainly. For me, this is less than about getting into b-school, and more about preparation for my chosen field.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Pron on VHS posted:

I work for my dad, who is basically a 1-man consulting firm

Why don't you work with your dad to take over some client relationships? It sounds like there is a legit business and because you know a little bit about everything you have a general idea of how things should go.

Not only will that be better pre-MBA work experience (increasing responsibility, yay) but it sounds like it will be a happier experience for you.

(I have somewhat similar concerns so feel free to PM me)

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I've been working for one of the major entertainment and media, especially in movies, valuation and advisory companies in LA for the past six months. It's made me consider careers in these areas. What are some of the major ways MBA graduates get involved in the movie industry and e&m world in general, and what are some schools with good programs in this? I was hoping to go to a better program than UCLA but obviously I bet they'd be strong in this.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Its Miller Time posted:

I've been working for one of the major entertainment and media, especially in movies, valuation and advisory companies in LA for the past six months. It's made me consider careers in these areas. What are some of the major ways MBA graduates get involved in the movie industry and e&m world in general, and what are some schools with good programs in this? I was hoping to go to a better program than UCLA but obviously I bet they'd be strong in this.

NYU Stern has an Entertainment, Media, and Tech specialization. Although that may not be an option if you want to stay on the west coast.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Its Miller Time posted:

If you want to get into a specific industry in a specific region don't worry about overall school rankings. Instead research where all the people in that industry that are MBAs are attending/went to. Apply there so you can network with those people and get into their alumni network.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Small White Dragon posted:

Online training for the CAPM specifically? Where? How is it?

It was part of a Skillsoft package I can take through work. It was ok, I guess. I did one module or so out of what seemed like waaaaaay too many.

Parrotman
Jan 18, 2010
Just got a 730 on the GMAT today (third attempt). Bring on application season, it's going to be one hell of a journey! Good luck to everyone else applying!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Its Miller Time posted:

Don't forget (yuck) USC: http://classic.marshall.usc.edu/ecg/concentrations/bus-of-entertainment-cntv-cert-program.htm

frieze
Dec 28, 2004

art that goes squeak in the night
Hi all, my brother told me the first thing I needed to do before seriously considering an MBA was read through this entire thread. Finally done! This is a standard, multipart what-is-your-opinion-of-my-prospects question.

I graduated from UCLA in English with a 3.4 overall and 3.78 major GPA. While in school, I interned at a number of newspapers, capping my studies with an internship at the International Herald Tribune in Paris (which actually turned me off journalism, but never mind that). Since graduating, I worked shorter stints in ecommerce marketing and talent agency publicity. Afterward, I worked at an advertising agency where I moved up from administrative assistant to research coordinator; I now work at a supplemental education franchise as a marketing coordinator, and am going to ask for a raise/promotion soon.

All told, it's been around 4 years of work experience, though never in a managerial capacity. I am now 25 years old. I'm planning on studying for the GMAT June/July and taking it in mid-August. I tend to be a good test-taker--got a 1480 on the SATs w/out studying--but I'll be shooting for 10-15 hours of studying/week to shoot for a better score. Good recommendations are in the bag and I'm a practiced writer. One thing I don't have is volunteer experience--do you recommend I start now? There's an organization called WriteGirl that I've been thinking about helping out for a while now, and it might be a good fit for whatever story I craft in my application.

Basically, I want to get an MBA to increase the caliber of my work and raise my earning potential, probably in marketing with a focus on statistics/analyzing data. One, do you think I have a shot at a decent school without the standard banking or IT/engineering background, or even anything extraordinary in my own editorial/marketing/publicity/advertising background? Two, do you have any recommendations for particular schools? I have a fondness for UT-Austin or UW-Seattle, but that's rooted more in my love for Austin/Seattle than any research into the programs there.

Thanks for your help - it's much appreciated!

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!
Just got accepted to the UCLA part time program. :)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Will having a background as a professional union poo poo disturber keep me from an MBA?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Nope, one of my classmates was an organizer for like 10 years.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Is it appropriate to mention religion when applying? I went to a very prestigious high school (in my region at least) that is Catholic and want to apply to a Catholic university's MBA. I'm currently about as Catholic as George Carlin was, and I'm not going to BS and get into untrue details about my personal beliefs, but would this be considered inappropriate or even against discrimination laws to mention certain filthy-Papist related things on the application?

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

menino posted:

Is it appropriate to mention religion when applying? I went to a very prestigious high school (in my region at least) that is Catholic and want to apply to a Catholic university's MBA. I'm currently about as Catholic as George Carlin was, and I'm not going to BS and get into untrue details about my personal beliefs, but would this be considered inappropriate or even against discrimination laws to mention certain filthy-Papist related things on the application?

I mentioned twice(?) in my essays that I am a Christian, and that did not derail my application.

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010

frieze posted:

Hi all, my brother told me the first thing I needed to do before seriously considering an MBA was read through this entire thread. Finally done! This is a standard, multipart what-is-your-opinion-of-my-prospects question.

I graduated from UCLA in English with a 3.4 overall and 3.78 major GPA. While in school, I interned at a number of newspapers, capping my studies with an internship at the International Herald Tribune in Paris (which actually turned me off journalism, but never mind that). Since graduating, I worked shorter stints in ecommerce marketing and talent agency publicity. Afterward, I worked at an advertising agency where I moved up from administrative assistant to research coordinator; I now work at a supplemental education franchise as a marketing coordinator, and am going to ask for a raise/promotion soon.

All told, it's been around 4 years of work experience, though never in a managerial capacity. I am now 25 years old. I'm planning on studying for the GMAT June/July and taking it in mid-August. I tend to be a good test-taker--got a 1480 on the SATs w/out studying--but I'll be shooting for 10-15 hours of studying/week to shoot for a better score. Good recommendations are in the bag and I'm a practiced writer. One thing I don't have is volunteer experience--do you recommend I start now? There's an organization called WriteGirl that I've been thinking about helping out for a while now, and it might be a good fit for whatever story I craft in my application.

Basically, I want to get an MBA to increase the caliber of my work and raise my earning potential, probably in marketing with a focus on statistics/analyzing data. One, do you think I have a shot at a decent school without the standard banking or IT/engineering background, or even anything extraordinary in my own editorial/marketing/publicity/advertising background? Two, do you have any recommendations for particular schools? I have a fondness for UT-Austin or UW-Seattle, but that's rooted more in my love for Austin/Seattle than any research into the programs there.

Thanks for your help - it's much appreciated!

One: yes.
Two: Kellogg, Stanford, Fuqua, Wharton, Ross (U. Mich) are considered the top marketing schools. FWIW I go to Johns Hopkins and am concentrating in marketing. I think it's pretty good here too.

The good news is that the GMAT is exactly like the SAT except without the #2 pencil. I noticed no difference in the difficulty of the questions in the math or language sections. The essay was more involved, but if you're a decent writer and RTFM you will land a 5 or 6 on that section. Volunteer experience is neither necessary nor expected. These schools cater to investment bankers and consultants, not groups known for shovel-ready volunteering (though philanthropy of the art gallery/yacht club/Kenyan primary school type is more common).

I got into B-School with a background in publishing, so no worries on not being a suit before you go. Not having any management experience at all will hurt you, but there are plenty of folks who come straight out of undergrad into MBA programs now, so it's still do-able. Twenty-five is a good age to do it.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Spook posted:

Welcome to Westwood, good luck finding parking.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

Spook posted:

Do you mind if I ask you your stats? I scored a 740 on the GMAT and didn't get in. I'm wondering if it was my essays that weren't good enough, or my lovely (2.5 in Computer Science) GPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

bouncyman posted:

Do you mind if I ask you your stats? I scored a 740 on the GMAT and didn't get in. I'm wondering if it was my essays that weren't good enough, or my lovely (2.5 in Computer Science) GPA.
I was accepted this year, but I'd rather not post all my stats in public. Can you enable private messaging?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 11, 2012