Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Lord help me I kind of agree with Midorka. I think Dale's is a bit too big and way too sweet for a pale ale. It's not really hop forward enough for me to consider it an IPA though, mostly because it's so goddamn sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Angry Grimace posted:

I tried once to figure out the Trappist naming convention and failed to find a definitive answer although I found a few.

I've seen sources that claimed that Dubbel and Tripels were "double/triple fermented," which makes no sense; I've heard that it was a rough analogy to the old British "X" = small beer, XX = normal strength beer, and XXX = strong beer naming convention; and I also read (and tend to believe) that it simply means it's the second style of beer the monks started selling and then the third style the monks started selling. Quadrupel seems to just be a genericised name (The Koningshoeven trappist monks do have a beer they call "Quadrupel") the beer community calls any Trappist-made or Trappist-style dark strong ale.

This is from a beer reference book I've been reading recently and is according to Michael Jackson.

quote:

In Belgium, running water through the mash tun three times produces the strongest beer in the first run--around three times as strong as that from the third run, hence the term "triple". Midway comes the "double", from the second run. Before widespread literacy, beer casks were branded with an iron to indicate the potency of the contents. The most common motif was a Christian cross--single, double or triplicate.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

I tried once to figure out the Trappist naming convention and failed to find a definitive answer although I found a few.

One thing I'll never understand is why dubbels and quads are dark and tripels are light. Also, if a tripel is light can someone explain why there is also a category for "Belgian Golden Strong Ale?" The only real difference I see in the descriptions are that Belgian golden strong ales are slightly drier and more citrusy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only true ipa is that which I pee after drinking a six pack of other so called ipas.

But seriously I really hate style terminology for exactly this reason, but its a necessary evil when trying new stuff I guess.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Midorka posted:

Quite many based upon Dales Pale Ale's Specs: 65 IBU/6.5% ABV when looking at BCJP guidelines. It's a drat IPA to everyone but those who follows Oskar Blues style guidelines, just like Deviant Dale's is a god damned IIPA.

What IPA are you drinking?

Edit: For guidelines, an American Pale Ale isn't over 45 IBU, FYI.

I love how the newbie is quoting BJCP at a professional brewer, it's so perfect.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Angry Grimace posted:

I've seen sources that claimed that Dubbel and Tripels were "double/triple fermented," which makes no sense; I've heard that it was a rough analogy to the old British "X" = small beer, XX = normal strength beer, and XXX = strong beer naming convention; and I also read (and tend to believe) that it simply means it's the second style of beer the monks started selling and then the third style the monks started selling. Quadrupel seems to just be a genericised name (The Koningshoeven trappist monks do have a beer they call "Quadrupel") the beer community calls any Trappist-made or Trappist-style dark strong ale.

I once read that singles were the original style, dubbles were brewed with double the malts of singles, triples were triple the malts of singles, and quads were 4 times the malts of a single. Someone else had another explanation but I can't find it. I'm basing my explanation based off of Beeradvocate though so you know what that more than likely means.

I don't think the monks worry too much about styles though.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 23, 2012

nah
Mar 16, 2009

air- posted:

Churchkey's full listing of SAVOR events are here, for anyone interested.
http://maildogmanager.com/page.html?p=0000015Fu8vh/srjsp1AOBjOcss6115wqenQ

We're sending a lot of awesome stuff and Funky Buddha is pretty much sending all of the cool beers they've ever done. Looks pretty amazing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

dumptruckzzz posted:

Gotta make my Midorka quotes less subtle. You're really limiting yourself if you cut out beers just because of one flavor you don't initially like, one of my first good craft beers was SNPA and I'm glad I didn't just give up on it because hops weren't something I was used to.

I'm sorry I didn't pick up on this last night....I had enjoyed too much beer at that point. :tinsley:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

zedprime posted:

The only true ipa is that which I pee after drinking a six pack of other so called ipas.

But seriously I really hate style terminology for exactly this reason, but its a necessary evil when trying new stuff I guess.

I was talking to a person who publishes in the beer industry and made the mistake of saying I like porters but generally prefer stouts.

:smug: "Well, stouts ARE porters"

:fuckoff:

Also I don't really agree with the sentiment that this thread is all about bragging over rare beers. Yeah we do some crowing when we get to try something unique (and I probably do more than my share), but look back a few pages to all the Weihenstephaner love. It's about good beer, not strictly about rarity.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I've been wondering about this the past few weeks with word of many breweries moving (Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, etc), does anyone know if they intend to keep their old breweries? If not I wonder what that means for the employees since it isn't likely that everyone would move with the company, heck a lot of them probably couldn't afford to.

Edit: Ah the good ol' stout porter argument. That's always a fun one.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

bartolimu posted:

Also I don't really agree with the sentiment that this thread is all about bragging over rare beers. Yeah we do some crowing when we get to try something unique (and I probably do more than my share), but look back a few pages to all the Weihenstephaner love. It's about good beer, not strictly about rarity.

I concur. I began frequenting this thread because it did have a different attitude than what I generally see. And what's being described as bragging/dick wagging really just comes off as "HOLY poo poo LOOK WHAT I FOUND!" Which I'm totally cool with, especially from people spread all over the world. It lets me see what stuff isn't available to me.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
^^^SN, NB, and Oskar Blues are opening new facilities to meet east coast demands and, to my knowledge, are keeping their existing facilities; i imagine Lagunitas is doing the same^^^

bartolimu posted:

i'm with bartolimu, not to mention the fact that Midorka is hardly an offender on that count.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 23, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rarity becomes more interesting when you've more or less exhausted the supply of normal beer you have available to you. However, I will say that takes freaking forever to really do, and even then I'd rather go buy a six pack of Red Seal than try another BA stout anytime soon. But there is something to the novelty of getting to try a beer you won't be able to get again anytime soon.

Semi-rare beer chat: Last night there were two Smuttynose beers tapped at the Map Room in Chicago: Brett & I and a Belgian Imperial Stout. The Brett was fabulous, and reminded me of a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere with the brett dialed up a tiny bit and the carbonation dialed a bit down. The Stout was a mess, for me, with too much clove sweetness.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Midorka posted:

I've been wondering about this the past few weeks with word of many breweries moving (Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, etc), does anyone know if they intend to keep their old breweries? If not I wonder what that means for the employees since it isn't likely that everyone would move with the company, heck a lot of them probably couldn't afford to.

Expanding ≠ moving. Those companies are looking for better ways to distribute to the other side of the country, not to pick up and relocate operations.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Midorka posted:

Edit: Ah the good ol' stout porter argument. That's always a fun one.

You have to be a troll. Or like a 60 year old just getting into beer or something because drat man have you actually read anything at all about these brewers? Every article mentions them opening A SECOND BREWERY. Why the gently caress would Sierra Nevada move all of there stuff to NC?? These people are all opening east coast facilities not moving and shutting down their old plants.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

ShaneB posted:

I'd rather go buy a six pack of Red Seal than try another BA stout anytime soon.
Agree with this, I'm sick of BA stouts for now, at least until the new Parabola comes out...

wattershed posted:

Expanding ≠ moving. Those companies are looking for better ways to distribute to the other side of the country, not to pick up and relocate operations.
So in cases of New Belgium, Lagunitas, and Sierra Nevada they're simply building a new brewery in a different state and will keep their old one as well? I guess that makes a lot more sense than potentially putting their employees in a tough spot.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kosher man posted:

You have to be a troll. Or like a 60 year old just getting into beer or something because drat man have you actually read anything at all about these brewers? Every article mentions them opening A SECOND BREWERY. Why the gently caress would Sierra Nevada move all of there stuff to NC?? These people are all opening east coast facilities not moving and shutting down their old plants.

Well, this is kind of harsh. I'm not going to go back and check all the posts in this thread about this, but if the discussion was about "a new SN brewery" or something then maybe that's how he got the impression that they were moving.

As for the "60 year old just getting into beer" comment... Everyone starts somewhere. I'll apologize for him if he wasn't born with beer knowledge when he shot out of his mom like apparently you did.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

danbanana posted:

Well, this is kind of harsh. I'm not going to go back and check all the posts in this thread about this, but if the discussion was about "a new SN brewery" or something then maybe that's how he got the impression that they were moving.

As for the "60 year old just getting into beer" comment... Everyone starts somewhere. I'll apologize for him if he wasn't born with beer knowledge when he shot out of his mom like apparently you did.

Midorka's post history essentially reads like a semi-autistic goon getting into beer and acting like he knows what he's talking about from day 1, so I know where Kosher man is coming from.

I'm particularly fond of this example that I remember because I found it so amazing:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437772&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=58#post398110974

He states that Damnation is his favorite beer of the style, most likely never having had anything else (including Duvel, which Rage-saq suggests he try).

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 23, 2012

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

danbanana posted:

With the way he post he should have shot out with loads of beer knowledge as his mother was most likely drinking a ton.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

internet celebrity posted:

One thing I'll never understand is why dubbels and quads are dark and tripels are light.

I would imagine the color of the runoff dilutes as the grains are "washed", like rinsing dark rice in a pan. The first rinse takes apparently takes most of the dark colored stuff.

Of course, I wouldn't count on modern brewers to adhere to that tradition. Lots of brewers just use concentrated sugary additive to achieve higher ABV because it's cheaper than the extra malt.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Kosher man posted:

With the way he post he should have shot out with loads of beer knowledge as his mother was most likely drinking a ton.

My mother doesn't drink.

funkybottoms posted:

^^^SN, NB, and Oskar Blues are opening new facilities to meet east coast demands and, to my knowledge, are keeping their existing facilities; i imagine Lagunitas is doing the same^^^

Thanks, I don't know why I thought that SN and co were moving shop, I just read a few articles on it and I feel a bit silly. That's great that they're going to have wider distribution now though, and more likely more space to brew new beers.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 23, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

CYBER SLIMER posted:

We're sending a lot of awesome stuff and Funky Buddha is pretty much sending all of the cool beers they've ever done. Looks pretty amazing.

On that note, who from the Cigar City crew will be in DC? You/anyone from the thread gonna be here? Would love to grab a beer.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

ShaneB posted:

Semi-rare beer chat: Last night there were two Smuttynose beers tapped at the Map Room in Chicago: Brett & I and a Belgian Imperial Stout. The Brett was fabulous, and reminded me of a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere with the brett dialed up a tiny bit and the carbonation dialed a bit down. The Stout was a mess, for me, with too much clove sweetness.

I grabbed a growler of Brett & I on Saturday. It's really, really good, and it was consumed quickly.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

cryme posted:

I grabbed a growler of Brett & I on Saturday. It's really, really good, and it was consumed quickly.

WHERE????

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Anyone here live in UK near London? I am doing a big event at Brodies in Aug when I come over for some Collab brewing. Still working out my tap list but should be like 10-15 beers a couple of which will be cask.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm going to Michigan next month, then North Carolina in July. Can anyone throw out some good beers that are available in either state that might not be available in other places? I want to start making a list.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CalvinDooglas posted:

I would imagine the color of the runoff dilutes as the grains are "washed", like rinsing dark rice in a pan. The first rinse takes apparently takes most of the dark colored stuff.

Of course, I wouldn't count on modern brewers to adhere to that tradition. Lots of brewers just use concentrated sugary additive to achieve higher ABV because it's cheaper than the extra malt.

I don't buy this, at least not as the full story. Having homebrewed both, the recipes for a dubbel and a trippel are vastly different. A trippel is basically just straight pilsner malt and sugar, whereas the color in a dubbel comes from the addition of dark character malts like chocolate and Special B.

Surely someone in this thread has a copy of Brew Like a Monk handy. IIRC the names have to do with the strength of the beer's starting gravity.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Quiet Feet posted:

This is from a beer reference book I've been reading recently and is according to Michael Jackson.

I don't think MJ's reference there necessarily that makes senss - what that is referring to is partigyle brewing, which doesn't make sense at all in that context since Abbey Dubbel and Trippel are completely different beers.

CalvinDooglas posted:

As rage-saq is saying, dubbel and triple aren't similar recipes nor are they particularly historical references; they were only introduced in the last 150 years or so. Tripel in fact is only about a century old style. Also, since Tripel is generally stronger than Dubbel and Dubbel is the stronger one and the dark one, it couldn't be just the result of partigyle brewing.

You're correct about the use of sugar, one element that gives Belgian beers their distinct character is the use of Belgian candi sugar in the brewing process.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 23, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
ShaneB, you've been probated four times in the beer thread alone for, quote, "being a smug dick." Maybe give it a rest, bud? I don't know why you feel the need to resort to personal insults in response to someone else's posting, but it's got nothing to do with beer. Relax and grab a brew, man!

Victory Summer Love is such an amazing beer, I'd buy a case if I could. We bought a crappy little wal-mart grill to celebrate this past graduation weekend, it's just the most perfect beer to sip on while you're flipping burgers. I also finally got to try that Saison du Buff on tap, I see why people were making a ruckus over it - very tasty.

e: I want to finally start making tasting notes for the stuff I drink. What do other people use for it? An actual notebook? I'm thinking I might start using Evernote on my smartphone for it, since I could also take photos and stuff. I use Untappd already, but it doesn't have a great interface for looking up things I've had before.

Manky fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 23, 2012

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I realized I never wrote anything about that Stone Domination thing last Friday. It was pretty cool. Greg Koch was there; he's sporting an enormous hobo beard these days, left early drunk as hell with an attractive woman on his arm. The guy's clearly loving life.

The Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout was my favorite thing that night; its only competition was the 2008 IRS. The 12th was, not surprisingly, more chocolatey with a lot of toasted grain character. The 08 IRS was more vanilla/coffee with significant wood character. Really both of those beers are among the best I've had and I'd buy either again at the drop of a hat.

Last night I got a chance to try Shipyard's Smashed Blueberry. It smells like buckwheat pancakes with IHOP blueberry syrup on top. The flavor starts off a mess with nothing really apparent, but quickly resolves to Blueberry As gently caress - specifically blueberry skins as there's a notable tannic, almost winey quality to the beer - with some roasted grains beneath. It's not a particularly malty beer, but despite this the overwhelming fruitiness makes it seem dessert-like. I'm really happy I got to try it and would probably sample it again, but a bomber? No thanks.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

CYBER SLIMER posted:

Like what? :)

I'll be flying in that night but will probably make a special trip for CCB.

Shazbot, just realized Funky Buddha was the one that does the REAL Maple Bacon Porter. I hope they bring it to Churchkey.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 23, 2012

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mahoning posted:

I'm going to Michigan next month, then North Carolina in July. Can anyone throw out some good beers that are available in either state that might not be available in other places? I want to start making a list.

Michigan: Pretty much everything. Where are you located? Can you get MI's bigger guys (Founders, Bell's, Dark Horse)?

NC: The few things I've had from Foothills have been good.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Mahoning posted:

Not knowing where you're from, I highly recommend anything and everything Jolly Pumpkin.

edit: This is for the Michigan portion.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 23, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Besides Foothills in NC, throw in Olde Hickory, Duck Rabbit, Big Boss, and Highland. Maybe Pisgah, but that's if you actually find their beer at a bar.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Besides Foothills in NC, throw in Olde Hickory, Duck Rabbit, Big Boss, Pisgah, and Highland.

I've heard good things about Olde Hickory and Duck Rabbit but unfortunately haven't gotten my hands on them yet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kosher man posted:

Anyone here live in UK near London? I am doing a big event at Brodies in Aug when I come over for some Collab brewing. Still working out my tap list but should be like 10-15 beers a couple of which will be cask.

Eat here: http://www.harwoodarms.com/

Unless you don't like delicious tasty animals, then don't. But one of the best meals I've had in my life, hands down. Gastropub with a Michelin star, out of nowhere.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 23, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

I've heard good things about Olde Hickory and Duck Rabbit but unfortunately haven't gotten my hands on them yet.

Will expand a little:

Duck Rabbit's got a reputation for quality across a wide set of styles (both year-round/seasonal) and I want to try much more of their lineup. Their Milk Stout's what caught my attention, and their Rabid Duck is dangerously sippable for a RIS (reminds me of that one malted milk ball beer from Draughthouse in Austin but ramped up ABV). The Schwarzbier and Baltic Porter are supposed to be among the best in NC within their respective styles. Milk Stout I believe is year round (and the rest of the year round beers are also good), but the other three aren't in season right now.

Olde Hickory: Death by Hops is good. It's got the palate destroying element ala Green Flash Palate Wrecker or Stone Ruination. The difference is the spicier/grittier/dry take on the IIPA style; that part of the sip is really assertive, yet the beer is still enjoyable. Event Horizon's a solid bourbon aged imperial stout; doubt you'll find that this time of year though.

And I brought up Pisgah towards the end as I was a fan of their sessionable stuff and it'd be cool to try the Valdez series, but their distro kinda sucks.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

ShaneB posted:

WHERE????

Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. For reference I'm in Ohio, and we get a lot of the stuff that has been mentioned already like Founders, Bell's, etc. I don't foresee a ton in Michigan that I can't get in Ohio, but then again Ohio does have this dumb upper limit on ABV in beer so anything over 12% I can't get (and good lord I'm not sure how much I would want something with an ABV above that).

I think NC has more stuff that I can't get than Michigan, so keep em comin' if anyone else has suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
do you expect me to talk?
Local bar had a bottle share the other night. Aside from a bottle of Santa's Little Helper going missing (non bourbon barrel version, fortunately) it was pretty good, tried some good stuff and some downright awful stuff. Some of the more memorable beers were:

Tilquin Geuze- Really, really loving good. Nothing amazing, but just solid. Lots of tart and funky goodness going on, good carbonation, refreshing as hell. Wish we'd saved it for a bit later in the night though, would've been great to cleanse the palate with it.

Founders curmudgeons better half 2012- only had one sip, but a drat good strong ale. Definitely got the maple on the nose but it wasn't retardedly sweet, which leads me to...

120 minute IPA- dammit, what the gently caress? There's no way it's 18% when it's so drat sweet. It's just a barleywine, and not even a very good one.

Rogue voodoo maple bacon blah blah blah- watery smokey weirdness. I suspect the little bucket for pouring out beer was full of mostly this and 120 minute.

2 year aged Mephistopholes- An awesome 16% stout, drinking great, didn't taste the booze but definitely felt it.

09 Vertical Epic- Still great and one of my favorite Stone beers ever.

Surly Heady Topper- A really good IPA, but not worth trading for or anything if you already have access to lots of good hoppy beer.

Black Tuesday- Almost too sweet for me and didn't quite live up to the hype (like most hyped up beers), but still a pretty loving great stupidly strong stout.

Drank other stuff too but those were the memorable ones. Missing bottle of Santa's was comp'd with a bottle of Black Xantus which was good, but certainly no Santa's Little Helper. All in all, a good night, looking forward to the next time something like that goes on.