Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mahoning posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. For reference I'm in Ohio, and we get a lot of the stuff that has been mentioned already like Founders, Bell's, etc. I don't foresee a ton in Michigan that I can't get in Ohio, but then again Ohio does have this dumb upper limit on ABV in beer so anything over 12% I can't get (and good lord I'm not sure how much I would want something with an ABV above that).

I think NC has more stuff that I can't get than Michigan, so keep em comin' if anyone else has suggestions.

If you're feeling quirky you can try some stuff from Shorts, but I don't think I've had anything from them I actually like. They just experiment a lot. I've heard nothing but great things about Brewery Vivant, who are supposedly expanding to be able to distribute in Chicago.

In NC you should also be able to find stuff from Williamsburg Alewerks. Their BA'd stuff is excellent, and from friends, I've heard they're generally really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

James Bont posted:

120 minute IPA- dammit, what the gently caress? There's no way it's 18% when it's so drat sweet. It's just a barleywine, and not even a very good one.

Black Tuesday- Almost too sweet for me and didn't quite live up to the hype (like most hyped up beers), but still a pretty loving great stupidly strong stout.

I must be in the minority with 120 here. I think it's exactly what it's trying to be: an attempt to make an IIIIIIPA or something. Booze = sweet. And that's what it is.

On the opposite spectrum, Black Tuesday was probably the most disappointing beer I've ever had. The one I tried had a year of age on it, but basically tasted like someone brewed a mediocre high-alcohol imperial stout and then just dropped a couple shots of whiskey in it. Gross, and this is coming from someone who adores great BA'd beers. This isn't one, in my opinion. Not even close.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Also, it's not Surly, Alchemist makes Heady Topper :v:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Can someone tell me which beers age well and which ones do not?

Because sometimes I am reluctant to purchase a beer because I notice it has passed its "sell by" date.

Stouts and barleywines age well, correct?

IPAs not so much?

Could you give me a brief overview of which beers age well and which do not?

I once had a super-old Nostradamus brown ale and it was the worst thing I've ever tasted, and I know that is a solid brew.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

James Bont posted:

Surly Heady Topper

Which one was it?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

escape artist posted:

Because sometimes I am reluctant to purchase a beer because I notice it has passed its "sell by" date.

IPAs not so much?

This was discussed very recently, again:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=73#post403750479

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

escape artist posted:

IPAs not so much?

I once had a super-old Nostradamus brown ale and it was the worst thing I've ever tasted, and I know that is a solid brew.

EDIT: Not the fastest person here.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

escape artist posted:

IPAs not so much?

High abv? Yes
Dark, thicker beers (which frequently mean the above but not always)? Yes
Anything that's already been aged before it goes into a bottle? Yes

Anything that relies on a lighter grain bill, has a sub-8ish abv (there's exceptions but I like to use that as a rule), or is a hop-forward beer above all else, should be consumed quickly.

I've also read some brewers say that they make their beer to be consumed immediately, regardless of any of the aging qualifiers. The takeaway from that is that it's likely the flavors will change over time, and it helps the drinker understand flavor evolution as a beer ages, whether they even like aged beers, or if a certain brewery's beers age well at all.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
I've had Nugget Nectar 9 months out and it was still delicious. Of course it's made to be consumed immediately, but you don't need to freak out if a hop forward beer has a few months on it.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
do you expect me to talk?

air- posted:

Also, it's not Surly, Alchemist makes Heady Topper :v:

My mistake, I guess I was misinformed about who brews it. Neither brewery distributes here as far as I know so I'm not too familiar with their lineups. Still pretty drat tasty.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Thanks a lot guys. I'm about to go to Total Wine and pick up some new stuff, and that information really helps. I'll be back soon and inform you of my wares! I'm thinking of trying a sour for the first time.

edit: Actually, I'll be going to ABC so my selection will be much more limited.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 23, 2012

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I had two Berkshire Brewing Co Lost Sailor IPAs with lunch today. Anyone in their distribution should try that beer, especially if you're able to get it fresh and on draft. It's just a really good, perfectly balanced beer. It's not trying to stand out and, to me, that's why it does. It's good living near BBC.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Wamsutta posted:

I had two Berkshire Brewing Co Lost Sailor IPAs with lunch today. Anyone in their distribution should try that beer, especially if you're able to get it fresh and on draft. It's just a really good, perfectly balanced beer. It's not trying to stand out and, to me, that's why it does. It's good living near BBC.

Nice! Haven't tried that one yet, guess I know what I'm buying tonight. BBC's coffee porter and RIS are two of the best I've had, highly suggest those.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

wattershed posted:

High abv? Yes
Dark, thicker beers (which frequently mean the above but not always)? Yes
Anything that's already been aged before it goes into a bottle? Yes

Anything that relies on a lighter grain bill, has a sub-8ish abv (there's exceptions but I like to use that as a rule), or is a hop-forward beer above all else, should be consumed quickly.

I've also read some brewers say that they make their beer to be consumed immediately, regardless of any of the aging qualifiers. The takeaway from that is that it's likely the flavors will change over time, and it helps the drinker understand flavor evolution as a beer ages, whether they even like aged beers, or if a certain brewery's beers age well at all.

You forgot sours (or anything with brett in it that isn't hop-forward, really), though that can technically fall under anything already aged before it goes in the bottle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What are your folks' attitudes on adjunct brewing?

Was having a discussion about Churchkey pilsner and there was a remark made to the effect of "if I wanted adjunct beer, I'd drink a Pabst." Interesting because Churchkey is an all-malt craft beer. I implied there may be some expectation issues with their judgement of the style, and was informed by the same guy that Fort George 1811 is a preferred craft lager. Interesting because it IS an adjunct lager.

Seems like a silly thing to make a line in the sand for, to me. I've used rice as adjunct in a couple homebrews, and I definitely enjoy corn and non-corn beer, as long as it tastes like beer.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

Was having a discussion about Churchkey pilsner and there was a remark made to the effect of "if I wanted adjunct beer, I'd drink a Pabst." Interesting because Churchkey is an all-malt craft beer. I implied there may be some expectation issues with their judgement of the style, and was informed by the same guy that Fort George 1811 is a preferred craft lager. Interesting because it IS an adjunct lager.

Seems like a silly thing to make a line in the sand for, to me. I've used rice as adjunct in a couple homebrews, and I definitely enjoy corn and non-corn beer, as long as it tastes like beer.

"Pliny the Elder uses corn syrup. Bam you are dumb."

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Alternatively,

"Who cares who makes it and what's in it as long as it tastes good?"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

clutchpuck posted:

Many, many German breweries were basically cheating the Reinheitsgebot through various means even when it was on the books. What is actually in beer is totally irrelevant as long as it tastes good. The fact that you *can* cut costs by adding adjuncts doesn't mean anything about whether adjunct products are inherently bad in beer.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
There really needs to be a better term since half of the Belgian beers I can think of have adjuncts and are nowhere near Pabst. Not making a value judgement, just an observation. Pabst owns. Give me a Pabst.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RobBorer posted:

Alternatively,

"Who cares who makes it and what's in it as long as it tastes good?"

This, period. Hope that guy doesn't like drinking pretty much any Trappist beer ever and many English ones, since they're all cut with simple sugar to dry them out. Or those terrible, bland lambics with their :supaburn: unmalted wheat adjuncts :supaburn:

That's the kind of beer snob who knows just enough to be dangerous.

Edit: Unrelated, oh god another local bar is tapping Parabola and Pliny the Elder tonight. And all beers are $1 off. Supposed to be dieting, but sweet sweet PtE beckons...

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 23, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Mahoning posted:

I think NC has more stuff that I can't get than Michigan, so keep em comin' if anyone else has suggestions.

okay, i'll do my part:

NC- Olde Hickory is kind of hit-and-miss, but their big stouts are good. Duck Rabbit schwarz, doppelbock, milk stout, and baltic porter are all very good- Rabid Duck has a good reputation, but the only time that it's made it to VA recently was a bad batch. Foothills, Green Man, Mother Earth, Pisgah, Wedge, and the unfortunately-named rear end Clown are also worthy of attention, depending on where you are (a few are brewpubs). some publication named Asheville beer city USA or something; it has a high concentration of places to check out if you're not going to have a lot of time to travel around beer hunting.

for non-NC breweries, whoever said Williamsburg Alewerks is correct, although you might not find any of their good stuff at that point- the year-round beers are hardly worth seeking out, but the bourbon barrel porter is a fantastic summer release (that will likely disappear quickly). Blue Mountain and Devil's Backbone probably make it down there, as well as Wolf Hills (draft-only). other good breweries that might be around and new to you are Terrapin, Flying Dog, Heavy Seas, Troegs, Weyerbacher, COAST, and Westbrook (the last two are from SC and have limited distribution, but make some good/highly sought-after beers).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Manky posted:

Victory Summer Love is such an amazing beer, I'd buy a case if I could. We bought a crappy little wal-mart grill to celebrate this past graduation weekend, it's just the most perfect beer to sip on while you're flipping burgers. I also finally got to try that Saison du Buff on tap, I see why people were making a ruckus over it - very tasty.

e: I want to finally start making tasting notes for the stuff I drink. What do other people use for it? An actual notebook? I'm thinking I might start using Evernote on my smartphone for it, since I could also take photos and stuff. I use Untappd already, but it doesn't have a great interface for looking up things I've had before.

Agreeing with the Summer Love love! It's my favorite Summer seasonal, with Brooklyn Brewery's a second. As for writing notes of beers I drink, I carry a pocket notebook and also put my ratings on Ratebeer.

bartolimu posted:

I realized I never wrote anything about that Stone Domination thing last Friday. It was pretty cool. Greg Koch was there; he's sporting an enormous hobo beard these days, left early drunk as hell with an attractive woman on his arm. The guy's clearly loving life.
I loving love his beard and look, he's definitely a good looking dude. Bev Journal recently had him on the cover and had an article on him, apparently they're building a hotel soon.

I also went to a Total Wine today and picked up a Harpoon Quad and a Victory Otto Aged in Bourbon Barrels. I didn't even know this existed so I'm anxious to try it out. The first time I had Otto fresh it was like smoked ribs liquefied, the second time I had it a few months later the smoke presence was near 0. I wonder how this will be.

Before I forget, I'm road tripping to Ohio in June to see Modest Mouse at the LC Pavilion, we're going to get there a few hours before the show but I wanted to know what are some local brews/shops I should look out for?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I'm going to Michigan next month, then North Carolina in July. Can anyone throw out some good beers that are available in either state that might not be available in other places? I want to start making a list.

Shorts and Brewery Vivant. A lot of people seem to hate on Shorts but I think their Huma Lupa Licious is good, along with Soft Parade. Their Anniversary Ale is phenomenal, it's my favorite from them (you might be able to find it, it's limited but still on the shelves).

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

clutchpuck posted:

Well, the signature of most dark Belgian styles is caramelized beet or date sugar so I'm going to vote yes on adjuncts. Hell, almost all light Belgian styles use straight up sucrose to dry them out.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I dropped $45 at Total Wine.... Didn't mean to spend that much.

a 4-pack of Oskar Blues GUBNA
a 6-pack of Oskar Blues DPA
One small bottle of Victory Storm King
One small bottle of Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stat
One can of Witterkerke
A bomber of Rogue's Voodoo Maple Bacon Doughnut...... *sigh* I have to try it!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

escape artist posted:

A bomber of Rogue's Voodoo Maple Bacon Doughnut...... *sigh* I have to try it!

Find me another brewery that has made as much money off the "This looks awful! I have to buy it!" attitude than Rogue has made off this poo poo...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

Find me another brewery that has made as much money off the "This looks awful! I have to buy it!" attitude than Rogue has made off this poo poo...

um, Dogfish Head?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

funkybottoms posted:

um, Dogfish Head?

Not this again.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

um, Dogfish Head?

I don't think it's the same thing, though I agree that I learned long ago not to spend much money on their weirder stuff. But some people actually like those, or at least pretend to.

VMBD is almost purposefully bad, and every reaction I've heard to it concurs. It's like they're playing a joke on how far they can string along their customer base, and for whatever reason, it keeps working.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BerkerkLurk posted:

There really needs to be a better term since half of the Belgian beers I can think of have adjuncts and are nowhere near Pabst. Not making a value judgement, just an observation. Pabst owns. Give me a Pabst.

It's such a staple of the style that you rarely even hear about it with respect to Belgian ales.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I forget, who did the Miles Davis tribute Bitches Brew. That was really good.

DFH has a whole bunch of terrible beers, but they do have some solid ones as well. Although, I haven't bought a DFH beer since the Bitches Brew.

I know the Maple Doughnut is going to suck, but I don't think it will be the worst beer I've ever tried...

I'm not even a fan of Rogue, except for that dry-hopped red ale.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

escape artist posted:

I forget, who did the Miles Davis tribute Bitches Brew. That was really good.

DFH has a whole bunch of terrible beers, but they do have some solid ones as well. Although, I haven't bought a DFH beer since the Bitches Brew.

I'm confused, because you first ask who made Bitches Brew, then you acknowledge that it was DFH. I really liked Bitches Brew though, actually I really liked Hellhound and the Pearl Jam beer as well. Ta Henket is really the only recent beer of theirs I didn't like.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

Not a brewery but Jones Soda does fairly well with their oddball Thanksgiving sodas.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Mahoning posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. For reference I'm in Ohio, and we get a lot of the stuff that has been mentioned already like Founders, Bell's, etc. I don't foresee a ton in Michigan that I can't get in Ohio, but then again Ohio does have this dumb upper limit on ABV in beer so anything over 12% I can't get (and good lord I'm not sure how much I would want something with an ABV above that).

Go to the Ann Arbor Jolly Pumpkin brewpub and make me jealous.
---
I had my first Firestone Walker beer this weekend (Union Jack) and was absolutely blown away. Regarding the brewer, where should I go from here, assuming I can find it in the area?

Also, I have to echo the Summer Love, er, love. It makes me want to buy a grill and lawn furniture and maybe get some sort of net that a ball can be lobbed over by happy people in shorts, just because sitting indoors while drinking it feels like I'm doing it wrong.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Midorka posted:

I'm confused, because you first ask who made Bitches Brew, then you acknowledge that it was DFH. I really liked Bitches Brew though, actually I really liked Hellhound and the Pearl Jam beer as well. Ta Henket is really the only recent beer of theirs I didn't like.

I looked it up before I finished the post and forgot to erase that question.

Things of theirs that I thought were atrocious: Black and Blue, Fort, Theobroma, 120 Minute, ApriHop, Festina Peche, My Antonia, Palo Santo Marron

Drinkable: Indian Brown, Raison D'Etre, 60 and 90 Minute

Good: Immort Ale, Bitches Brew, Squall IPA, Burton Baton

Midas Touch is okay but I'm not sure i even consider that a beer.

I gave up on the rest of the stuff when I realized how much I was spending on beers that I didn't even like.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 24, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mysterious frankie posted:

Go to the Ann Arbor Jolly Pumpkin brewpub and make me jealous.

Get the fire and smoke pizza, so goddamn delicious.

Speaking of JP, any Michigoons get a hold of the Jolly Pumpkin/Plum Market 'collaboration' beer today? I think I saw Corbet in line at the Ann Arbor store... Was going to Jolly Pumpkin tonight to have it on tap but ended up not being able to make it. What few reviews I've read describe it as not very plummy and thinner-bodied than Bam Biere.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I drank Sam Adams Sahti and Gose the last couple nights, and I'm pretty disappointed in both. I guess I was hoping for something much more unusual, but the Gose was pretty straight forward and the Sahti was basically just a scotch ale. They weren't bad by any means, I think I just went in hoping to get weird and was sad to see they were pretty approachable, normal beers.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Corbet posted:

Not a brewery but Jones Soda does fairly well with their oddball Thanksgiving sodas.

I usually buy these, but I haven't drank them. One year I will and I know they will be grossly satisfying.

escape artist posted:

Things of theirs that I thought were atrocious: Black and Blue, Fort, Theobroma, 120 Minute, ApriHop, Festina Peche, My Antonia, Palo Santo Marron
Theobroma I urge you to try again, I had it recently and it's a delicious beer with a nice blend of sweetness from the cocoa and a mild heat from the peppers. Palo Santo Marron is an oddity, but I love it, the story of how they constructed the tanks that they age it in is really fascinating to me.

A lot of Dogfish Head's "odd" beers like Theobroma have come a long way since they were first conceived, that or my tastebuds have changed a lot.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

and the unfortunately-named rear end Clown are also worthy of attention

Haha, and I don't think that's the only unfortunately-named NC brewery. There's one called French Broad, right? Had any of their beer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

escape artist posted:

You take that back, My Antonia is delicious :colbert:

It's definitely one of their "safer" beers so I don't understand how you can think it's atrocious.