Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Lone Rogue posted:

Cooze? Oh come on, the word oval office was right there for you to use!

:eng99:

That's offensive.

coconono posted:

Welp....now about them Grapple Gashes?

Greco-roman Gashes :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party

DMPunk posted:

Yup. She's back. She was at the SHIMMER tapings in March and she will be at the WSU iPPV on June 16 in NY. Her opponent has yet to be announced but its most likely either going to be Cherry Bomb or Leva Bates I think.

So I guess it wasn't as bad as everyone thought at first? That's awesome because I always admired her strength.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Not to be a dick, and being a guy I have no idea what she must be going thru, but its been like 6 months since she lost her baby. How much time do you need exactly?

Ravingsockmonkey posted:

So I guess it wasn't as bad as everyone thought at first? That's awesome because I always admired her strength.

There's a story about her almost quitting on ringbelles.com here:

http://ringbellesonline.com/2011/11/05/lufisto-discusses-her-relationship-with-wrestling/

Lately, she seems healthy and more upbeat, so I think retiring is out of the picture for now.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ravingsockmonkey posted:

Damnit, it's Lucha Labia. Get it right! :argh:

I would buy a "Lucha Labia" t-shirt. And wear it. Everywhere.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DMPunk posted:

There's a story about her almost quitting on ringbelles.com here:

http://ringbellesonline.com/2011/11/05/lufisto-discusses-her-relationship-with-wrestling/

Lately, she seems healthy and more upbeat, so I think retiring is out of the picture for now.

It helps she's not getting german suplexed into tacks and poo poo on the CZW shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DirtyDirtySheets posted:

Those people on TV obvious being the male wrestlers. It doesn't say a lot to say Ayako Hamada is better than Rosa Mendes.

And don't you mean wrestlelady fans? Because using the word "oval office" in any context is unacceptable, but coming up with a stupid, unnecessary, diminutive term for all female wrestlers and insisting on using it constantly for no real reason is absolutely awesome.

Obvious? How is that obvious? It's obvious when you say she's better than 99% of female wrestlers on TV. She probably is. There's only a couple in her league. Compared to the men on TV? I don't think she's as good as Bryan, Angle, Styles, Richards, Edwards, and about a dozen others, so no, it isn't as obvious. Especially when you originally used the word oval office.

One is an obvious statement, the other is one that will get you a lot of argument because there are many excellent male wrestlers on television.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Obvious? How is that obvious? It's obvious when you say she's better than 99% of female wrestlers on TV. She probably is. There's only a couple in her league. Compared to the men on TV? I don't think she's as good as Bryan, Angle, Styles, Richards, Edwards, and about a dozen others, so no, it isn't as obvious. Especially when you originally used the word oval office.

One is an obvious statement, the other is one that will get you a lot of argument because there are many excellent male wrestlers on television.

Where does when find the time to watch televised wrestling when one is so busy snidely deriding it and the people that watch it all the time? There's only so many hours in a day, MRP

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Not to be a dick, and being a guy I have no idea what she must be going thru, but its been like 6 months since she lost her baby. How much time do you need exactly?
New promotion in Florida starting July 20, which will run monthly shows on iPPV is being called SHINE. Name makes sense as its a sister promotion to SHIMMER.

http://i.imgur.com/B3fTu.jpg

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
That logo is truly, truly, truly outrageous.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

DMPunk posted:

New promotion in Florida starting July 20, which will run monthly shows on iPPV is being called SHINE. Name makes sense as its a sister promotion to SHIMMER.

At first glance the logo looks like Shimmer got cut off somewhere. SHIMMER produced Athena (Who may be wrestling's best rookie), I look forward to seeing the other girls they scout/train.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

At first glance the logo looks like Shimmer got cut off somewhere. SHIMMER produced Athena (Who may be wrestling's best rookie), I look forward to seeing the other girls they scout/train.

Wasn't she wrestling for a little bit before she started in SHIMMER in Booker T's promotion?

I'm actually surprised WWE hasn't looked into signing her given that she seems to be fairly good, is pretty and has the connection to Booker.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Athena, Veda Scott, and Kimber Lee are all REALLY good wrestlers considering their short time in the business.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DMPunk posted:

Alright, cool, ippv. A little easier to keep tabs on than isolated youtube stuff, tape swappers and specialty matches in bigger feds.
What do you have to say about the rest of the prospective talent if anything at all yet?

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Alright, cool, ippv. A little easier to keep tabs on than isolated youtube stuff, tape swappers and specialty matches in bigger feds.
What do you have to say about the rest of the prospective talent if anything at all yet?

Does anyone even swap tapes anymore?

Anyways, I imagine the core of this fed will be the same group that does the Slammin' Ladies custom shoots. So, expect: Sara Del Rey, Leva Bates, Mercedes Martinez, Su Young, Rain, Jessie Belle Smothers, Santana, and whomever is down in Florida that week. And since its a SHIMMER offshoot, I am sure they'll get a few SHIMMER regulars mixed in there. I could easily see MsChif, Athena, Allison Danger, among others being added here and there.

It will be interesting to see how profitable this company is. I have no clue on how many iPPV buys it will take to break even on this.

Its gonna be taped in Yboy City, FL which is right outside of Tampa. I believe the venue for the July 20th show is The Orpheum.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
If they're doing the $5 stream without on-demand option like they tried with DGUSA, I'll check it out.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DMPunk posted:

Does anyone even swap tapes anymore?

I don't know what to call the people who'd put their joshi and puro dvds on megaupload, but the term tape swapper still existed. I got a bunch of cassettes if you're interested though. I got a lot of King Crimson and Barclay James Harvest as well as various other early progressive rock if that's your thing.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I don't know what to call the people who'd put their joshi and puro dvds on megaupload, but the term tape swapper still existed. I got a bunch of cassettes if you're interested though. I got a lot of King Crimson and Barclay James Harvest as well as various other early progressive rock if that's your thing.

I'll trade you a bunch of James Bond soundtracks and assorted Styx bullshit

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I have contacts in Japan that help me get shows, for that matter. Random DVDs that would be hard for someone from America to pick up themselves because of either a language barrier or an unwillingness by retailers to ship to the USA. Beyond that, it's much more convenient to just host your "tapes" online and trade them around like that. I was too young to partake in the tape trading era, but I do have a couple FMW tapes on VHS I got from trading back in early 2002.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What's the new host now that Megaupload is gone? Youtube?

LvK posted:

I'll trade you a bunch of James Bond soundtracks and assorted Styx bullshit

I got a Larks Tongue in Aspic for your Moonraker and if you can promise The Grand Illusion you can have some dumb mix tape my sister made me in highschool.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

So, WSU may be having its last show on 6/16. Its an iPPV called The Uncensored Rumble 5. Basically, a women's version of the Royal Rumble. Now, the reason it may be the last WSU show is because the promoter/owner is quitting and he is actively trying to sell the company. One possibly buyer has promised to buy the company IF this iPPV does 750 buys. So, if the show does well, the company is sold and lives on. If the show bombs or at least doesn't hit that buyrate, the company will not be sold and very well might fold completely.

Here's the statement:

http://www.declarationofindependents.net/wsu/news/newbegin.html

WSU is like a smaller version of SHIMMER, but they run many more shows than SHIMMER does and they do 2-3 iPPV's a year as opposed to SHIMMER's DVD only business model. The shows are pretty fun, and its a good place to see a lot of northeast/midwest talent wrestle. It would be a shame to see the company fold, especially since Jessicka Havok is pretty darn entertaining.

Here's the link to the iPPV if anyone is interested.

http://www.gfl.tv/Events/Fight/Wrestling/WSU_Presents_Uncensored_Rumble_V/1540

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Flameingblack posted:

I have contacts in Japan that help me get shows, for that matter. Random DVDs that would be hard for someone from America to pick up themselves because of either a language barrier or an unwillingness by retailers to ship to the USA. Beyond that, it's much more convenient to just host your "tapes" online and trade them around like that. I was too young to partake in the tape trading era, but I do have a couple FMW tapes on VHS I got from trading back in early 2002.

IVP stocks a lot of Joshi.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

coconono posted:

IVP stocks a lot of Joshi.
Preaching to the choir my friend. :hf:

I was talking about physical tapes, I never even thought that the DVD's I've been getting from IVP Videos is basically the exact same thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SHIMMER starting what looks like a developmental company in SHINE and immediately making it more exposure than SHIMMER by doing IPPVs struck me as really weird and got me thinking. Is it possible this is SHIMMER just looking to expand but not being able to afford to use their stacked roster on IPPV? So rather than destroy themselves by spending too much getting Joshi stars and the best in North America they decide to do local talent and a smaller roster. And rather than hurt the SHIMMER name by putting out inferior shows under its banner they create the SHINE brand to run those shows under?

Or is it just legitimately a completely different thing that is just linked to SHIMMER? It just seemed weird to see a smaller upstart go to IPPV when what I really want to see is SHIMMER expand a little.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

SHIMMER starting what looks like a developmental company in SHINE and immediately making it more exposure than SHIMMER by doing IPPVs struck me as really weird and got me thinking. Is it possible this is SHIMMER just looking to expand but not being able to afford to use their stacked roster on IPPV? So rather than destroy themselves by spending too much getting Joshi stars and the best in North America they decide to do local talent and a smaller roster. And rather than hurt the SHIMMER name by putting out inferior shows under its banner they create the SHINE brand to run those shows under?

Or is it just legitimately a completely different thing that is just linked to SHIMMER? It just seemed weird to see a smaller upstart go to IPPV when what I really want to see is SHIMMER expand a little.

Prazak explained it on the SHIMMER board like this:

quote:

Stand alone shows are impossible if we are to use the same level of talent we currently do. We need four shows worth of revenue to cover (a portion of) the expenses, a lot of which are all of the flights.

If we were to ever do iPPV, it would be once the technology is perfected to the point of it being completely reliable. It's not at that level currently. It would only make sense for the very first show of a weekend to be an iPPV, and the rest of the weekend to be DVDs. If a show later in the weekend were the iPPV, the entire iPPV viewership wouldn't have had a chance to see what took place on the shows leading up to what they're about to watch on iPPV.

Bottom line... pressing "play" on your DVD remote is the most reliable way to watch our shows in their full four camera fully edited form. There is no reason to change the way we do things.

Read more: http://shimmerwomen.proboards.com/index.cgi#ixzz1wDIugEsG

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So more or less what I guessed? They'd like to move to IPPV but its not financial feasible. So SHINE is a cheaper version where they can test the medium's quality and fan interest and maybe prepare for a move to some IPPVs down the line?

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

So more or less what I guessed? They'd like to move to IPPV but its not financial feasible. So SHINE is a cheaper version where they can test the medium's quality and fan interest and maybe prepare for a move to some IPPVs down the line?

Prazak isn't running SHINE at all, really. So, its not his call how SHINE operates. Since they will only be doing like once a month shows, and use local talent, it makes sense to try the iPPV route. I can't imagine the crowds will be very big for these shows, so the iPPV will be a nice way to get some revenue. Hopefully, it makes a solid profit.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

DMPunk posted:

Anyways, I imagine the core of this fed will be the same group that does the Slammin' Ladies custom shoots. So, expect: Sara Del Rey, Leva Bates, Mercedes Martinez, Su Young, Rain, Jessie Belle Smothers, Santana, and whomever is down in Florida that week. And since its a SHIMMER offshoot, I am sure they'll get a few SHIMMER regulars mixed in there. I could easily see MsChif, Athena, Allison Danger, among others being added here and there.

I read somewhere that Daffney is also going to be heavily involved, not just as a wrestler but also in some behind-the-scenes capacity. Hopefully she wins that lawsuit against TNA so she can focus on doing SHINE full-time without needing to work a bunch of other indy dates. :cool:

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Grandpa Pap posted:

I read somewhere that Daffney is also going to be heavily involved, not just as a wrestler but also in some behind-the-scenes capacity. Hopefully she wins that lawsuit against TNA so she can focus on doing SHINE full-time without needing to work a bunch of other indy dates. :cool:

Yeah, Daffney is gonna be the "Allison Danger" of SHINE it seems. Part wrestler, part agent. Its basically Daffney and Lexi Fyfe running things. Sal Hamouai is pretty much the boss of everything though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DMPunk posted:

Prazak isn't running SHINE at all, really. So, its not his call how SHINE operates. Since they will only be doing like once a month shows, and use local talent, it makes sense to try the iPPV route. I can't imagine the crowds will be very big for these shows, so the iPPV will be a nice way to get some revenue. Hopefully, it makes a solid profit.

Well, I guess that was my question. Prazak isn't in charge of SHINE but all the people who are seem to be SHIMMER people. So is it a SHIMMER project and an unconventional way to expand and Prazak isn't micro managing or is it just a unique project some SHIMMER people wanted to do and just stay associated with Prazak/SHIMMER because of established relationships?

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Well, I guess that was my question. Prazak isn't in charge of SHINE but all the people who are seem to be SHIMMER people. So is it a SHIMMER project and an unconventional way to expand and Prazak isn't micro managing or is it just a unique project some SHIMMER people wanted to do and just stay associated with Prazak/SHIMMER because of established relationships?

I know Lexi wanted to start running shows for Slammin' Ladies. This is basically a way to do that, but with the added bonus of being related to SHIMMER. Its also a way to test the waters of lesser known girls. If they do well in SHINE, they could get bumped up to SHIMMER. But, mostly its a way to get a bunch of Florida based wrestlers more bookings. This could end badly and be a huge failure. Or it could be great. It will be interesting to see how much these PPV's cost and how long the shows are.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Well there's a reason to change in that it might be easier to follow if volumes didn't take ages to come out and were multiple tapings behind. I don't get why it's not feasible to release a volume a month or so inbetween tapings.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Suben posted:

Well there's a reason to change in that it might be easier to follow if volumes didn't take ages to come out and were multiple tapings behind. I don't get why it's not feasible to release a volume a month or so inbetween tapings.

Because Prazak is a drat perfectionist. It takes a month just to get the commentary done after the shows. And unlike Smartmark, they don't use DVD-R's so that takes more time too. I imagine he sits there for days going over the little title graphics and stuff too.

I am sure he could get the DVD's out much quicker, but he wouldn't be happy with the quality even though everyone else would.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I do think going to IPPV might expand their viewership base a bit. If it wasn't the same month as a ROH or Chikara iPPV i'd probably give a SHIMMER iPPV a chance, which I'm very unlikely to do under their current format.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Thauros posted:

I do think going to IPPV might expand their viewership base a bit. If it wasn't the same month as a ROH or Chikara iPPV i'd probably give a SHIMMER iPPV a chance, which I'm very unlikely to do under their current format.

You can always go to clickwrestle.com and download individual matches. They run weekly specials on Thursdays (I think) that make it only $.75 for a specific match. The rest are $2.49, but there's a coupon code "divadirt" that takes 10% off too. So, you can pay as little as 66 cents for a match. It doesn't make sense to download a bunch from the same SHIMMER volume, but if you are only into 1 or 2 matches, its a pretty good way to go. The quality is extremely good.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DMPunk posted:

Yeah, Daffney is gonna be the "Allison Danger" of SHINE it seems. Part wrestler, part agent. Its basically Daffney and Lexi Fyfe running things. Sal Hamouai is pretty much the boss of everything though.

Sal is from FIP, right? The guys who did all the ROH production forever? I think this is a really good thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DMPunk posted:

Because Prazak is a drat perfectionist. It takes a month just to get the commentary done after the shows. And unlike Smartmark, they don't use DVD-R's so that takes more time too. I imagine he sits there for days going over the little title graphics and stuff too.

I am sure he could get the DVD's out much quicker, but he wouldn't be happy with the quality even though everyone else would.

Given his attitude in flying girls in that makes a lot of sense. After hearing how he sees someone, decides he needs to book them despite the cost and then does so... yeah, he wants this product to be perfect.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know why SHIMMER works the way it does and I don't blame them or criticize them for it.

Still, unfortunately its what keeps me from really getting into them and following them.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

In more news, ACW has released the full line up of the Queen of Queens torunament on June 24.

http://acwtourdates.blogspot.com/2012/04/queen-of-queens-6-24-12-hooligans.html?m=1

So, its an 8 woman tournament. This year's participants:

Christina Von Eerie
Su Young
Athena
Jazz
Jessicka Havok
Rachel Summerlyn
Veda Scott
Lady Poison

So, yeah. I just booked my trip to this thing. Gonna be pretty awesome.

DMPunk fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 29, 2012

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What's the story on Lady Poison? I've seen her on all the ACW stuff but I've never actually seen ACW matches. It seems weird that I never hear her popping up anywhere else when the rest of the division is pretty much names I know from SHIMMER, WSU, or somewhere else.

She any good? A local talent? Some young player who just hasn't moved out of the area yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

What's the story on Lady Poison? I've seen her on all the ACW stuff but I've never actually seen ACW matches. It seems weird that I never hear her popping up anywhere else when the rest of the division is pretty much names I know from SHIMMER, WSU, or somewhere else.

She any good? A local talent? Some young player who just hasn't moved out of the area yet?

I know nothing about Lady Poison. I think outside of ACW, the only place I've seen her booked was for MLW which is a custom wrestling match company in Memphis.

• Locked thread