Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

weekly font posted:

Thanks. I really, really want to kill him. On the other hand, is there any way that you don't fight Darcy at Greybox? I liked him/her. :)

You liked Darcy??? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

1) Yes they're both in Greybox. I forget Scarlet's exact location (She's in the room with the "big-rear end screen" that Westridge briefs you and Leland interrogates you in, but I don't remember how you get there. Just check every optional door and you should find it.), but Mina is in the door on the left when Leland or Westridge tell you that they have Mina captive.

2) To kill Marburg in the museum you have to give all suave responses to Marburg in the museum conversations, already have him dislike you going into that mission (so just use suave responses for every conversation with him), and choose to defuse the bombs. If you go into the Marburg fight without him already disliking you he'll know you're just trying to get under his skin and still leave. You also might need to have the suave perk and all of the intel on his file, but I'm not sure about that part. Someone else might be able to clarify.

He's also a possible boss in the Greybox, but I've never met the conditions for that to happen.

You don't need to defuse the bombs. My first playthrough I was all suave with everyone and saved Madison and got him to fight me. It might even help, because it's the less professional of the two options, but I don't think it has an impact one way or the other.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

weekly font posted:

Thanks. I really, really want to kill him. On the other hand, is there any way that you don't fight Darcy at Greybox? I liked him/her. :)

My favorite moment of every veteran AP play-through is Mina's bonus training mission, because I get to use chain shot to put 2 tranq darts right in his sack. My name's not Mikey, rear end in a top hat :colbert:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm gussing I wasn't supposed to kill Leland at the end. It feels like the game is taking place in the past, and the interrogation with Leland is happening in the present, and if I kill him, when does that interrogation take place? I did get to ride off in a cool boat though.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

gohuskies posted:

You liked Darcy??? Why?

He's a good agent. He's not entirely unfunny. He photoshops his and Mike's heads onto the poster of an obscure buddy cop movie starring Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines.

Meat Recital posted:

I'm gussing I wasn't supposed to kill Leland at the end. It feels like the game is taking place in the past, and the interrogation with Leland is happening in the present, and if I kill him, when does that interrogation take place? I did get to ride off in a cool boat though.

Uhhhh the interrogation ends, and then the whole greybox level happens.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Meat Recital posted:

I think you need to pay slightly more attention to things.

There's also no "supposed to" in this game. Everything you do is right.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think you need to pay slightly more attention to things.

There's also no "supposed to" in this game. Everything you do is right.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted". -The Master

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

In one of the first Saudi missions, the one with Darcy as the handler where you have to break into the facility during a sandstorm, if you finish the mission with 100% stealth (I diddnt kill anyone either), Darcy sends you an email saying you are a loving ninja.

Darcy's not bad. This and Bloodlines are the only games I ever replay.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Doc Hawkins posted:

He's a good agent. He's not entirely unfunny. He photoshops his and Mike's heads onto the poster of an obscure buddy cop movie starring Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines.

Yeah this is pretty much my reasoning too.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Hizawk posted:

In one of the first Saudi missions, the one with Darcy as the handler where you have to break into the facility during a sandstorm, if you finish the mission with 100% stealth (I diddnt kill anyone either), Darcy sends you an email saying you are a loving ninja.

Darcy's not bad. This and Bloodlines are the only games I ever replay.

Him as an alternate handler would have made a great feature for an expansion pack.

...:smith:

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Him as an alternate handler would have made a great feature for an expansion pack.

...:smith:

Did you folks all forget how incredibly creepy and smug he was? Considering his interaction with Mina, he's a walking sexual harassment lawsuit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Merry Magpie posted:

Did you folks all forget how incredibly creepy and smug he was? Considering his interaction with Mina, he's a walking sexual harassment lawsuit.

Who gives a gently caress? He's a nintendo character, not a real-life creepmo who you need to constantly remind not to use marginalizing language on a comedy forum. As a character, he's archetypical, but as Sean Darcy, he is the avatar of Broseidon.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Merry Magpie posted:

James Bond. Your move. :smuggo:

e: actually, now that I think about it, since he's obviously fronting hard in order to be taken seriously and not seen as just the senator's son (wasn't Bond also a benificiary of nepotism in the original books?), his insecurity arguably makes him a more interesting and moral character than Bond.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 28, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Well to be fair to James Bond, Sean Darcy's :smug: is about as suave as Mike's casual stances.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The best and worst thing about this game is how you have to make decisions without having any idea if you're doing the right thing or not. I'm on my 2nd play-through and still have no idea. :iia:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Doc Hawkins posted:

e: actually, now that I think about it, since he's obviously fronting hard in order to be taken seriously and not seen as just the senator's son (wasn't Bond also a benificiary of nepotism in the original books?), his insecurity arguably makes him a more interesting and moral character than Bond.

I can think of about six hundred fictional spies, off the top of my head, who are more moral than Bond, so I'm not sure that's much of a compliment.

ps. this. game.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

sean10mm posted:

The best and worst thing about this game is how you have to make decisions without having any idea if you're doing the right thing or not. I'm on my 2nd play-through and still have no idea. :iia:

There is no wrong decision. Whatever you chose is the right choice for that run.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Insanity Prawn posted:

There is no wrong decision. Whatever you chose is the right choice for that run.

Tense and Easily Angered deserves a link again. :colbert:

(spoilers, obviously)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dammit!!! I shot Surkov in the leg my first meeting with him, then when I went to see Brayko he didn't mention Surkov being the real problem at all. I hope I can still get my Judge Jury Executioner achievement.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
You need to wait to kill Brayko until after he talks a bit. I don't think it really matters what you did prior to that, as long as you don't kill him as soon as you're able to.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I know... I talked to him, using all Suave options which is what I normally do. The difference is, I've never shot Surkov in the leg before, so I can only assume he fled already. Either way, I didn't get the intercept mission.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
On my rear end in a top hat Thorton playthrough, I did the same thing, but I was able to get the intercept mission. v:shobon:v

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crappy Jack posted:

I don't recall anything like this, closest thing I can think of is the fact that a while back I used to suggest that people do a playthrough where they RP'd Thorton as a crazy homeless guy who was mistakenly drugged up and taken to the Greybox instead of the actual Mike Thorton, but proceeds to go along with the spy poo poo anyway, yells at everybody all the time and smashes faces in whenever possible. Lumberjack beard, of course.

Doing this right now. I've probably played through Alpha Protocol to the end at least 5 or 6 times now, and it is awesome every time.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Two Finger posted:

Dammit!!! I shot Surkov in the leg my first meeting with him, then when I went to see Brayko he didn't mention Surkov being the real problem at all. I hope I can still get my Judge Jury Executioner achievement.

You probably missed some intelligence (I think a computer or dossier on the top floor) during the Embassy mission. I had the same problem, and that was the only explanation I could find after a significant amount of googling.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

PFlats posted:

You probably missed some intelligence (I think a computer or dossier on the top floor) during the Embassy mission. I had the same problem, and that was the only explanation I could find after a significant amount of googling.

For such a deep game, I'm consistently amazed at the lack of information into specific subjects. I kept searching for a way to get Albatross and G22 to invade Alpha Protocol to try and take down Thorton as an act of revenge, but no dice. There was some other stuff but that one really stuck since it would've been amazing if I'd managed to pull it off. As it stands, I don't think it's actually possible :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I finally started playing this game even though I bought it awhile ago on steam and I understand how to hack computers but for some reason when it comes to moving the mouse it's incredibly inaccurate and seems all over the place. Is there a setting I can change or something?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Len posted:

I finally started playing this game even though I bought it awhile ago on steam and I understand how to hack computers but for some reason when it comes to moving the mouse it's incredibly inaccurate and seems all over the place. Is there a setting I can change or something?

You need a gamepad, the PC version is really poorly optimized for kb+m (I assume budget issues). Get a 360 controller, plug it into your USB port, problem solved. This goes for 95% of console ports anyway.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Walker posted:

You need a gamepad, the PC version is really poorly optimized for kb+m (I assume budget issues). Get a 360 controller, plug it into your USB port, problem solved. This goes for 95% of console ports anyway.

This should never be the solution when I have to sit in my uncomfortable computer chair. But if it's what I gotta do to not make that minigame frustrating I guess I can.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
You don't need a gamepad.

The hacking is very unintuitive at first, but if you learn how it works you can get by. The trick is to realize that the highlighted code moves independently of the mouse cursor. Try and visualize it in your mind like you're "dragging" the highlighted code around with the mouse and just put the cursor out of your brain.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Though it's still a thousand times easier with a pad - as is much of the rest of the game, far as I can tell.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Len posted:

Hacking treats the mouse like a gampad stick - it doesn't care how far you're moving the mouse, just in what direction. If you move the mouse down and to the left, the hilight also moves down and to the left, and it'll do so at a fixed speed whether you're moving the mouse in a gentle drift or dragging it violently across the screen.

Lockpicking works the same way.

hectorgrey posted:

Though it's still a thousand times easier with a pad - as is much of the rest of the game, far as I can tell.

Personally, I found hacking slightly harder with a mouse, by which I mean it took more time to get used to but wasn't actually more difficult. Lockpicking, shooting, and bypassing, however, are genuinely much easier with mouse and keyboard and there's no way I could go back to playing AP with a gamepad.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Is there any way to unequip your second weapon and do a pistol-only mission/playthrough?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

Is there any way to unequip your second weapon and do a pistol-only mission/playthrough?

Not as far as I know, but nothing says you need to use it.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
Or you can sell all of the 2nd weapon so you don't have to worry about it.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

MeaningOfLife posted:

Or you can sell all of the 2nd weapon so you don't have to worry about it.

Can't get the equipped weapon to show up in clearinghouse. Maybe I can equip two pistols... hmm.

I just want to try a civilian clothes playthough, it would help me suspend disbelief I am a secret agent if I didn't walk through some of the more casual areas with an assault rifle/shotgun/dual smgs strapped to my person.

Just aesthetics I guess

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Personally, I kept one assault rifle for its accuracy over range. As I recall, it didn't actually show up as a model unless I was actually using it at the time, though I may be mistaken.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

hectorgrey posted:

Personally, I kept one assault rifle for its accuracy over range. As I recall, it didn't actually show up as a model unless I was actually using it at the time, though I may be mistaken.

No, it's definitely on your back when pistol's out.

I've yet to do a plain clothes pure stealth run, but that would probably be the most baller.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I'm about to start this game on Steam for the first time. I noticed the OP hasn't been updated in awhile, are there any mods I should install?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mods are as far as I recall not much of an option for this game, but you can still tweak a few .ini files here and there if you run into any issues. Then again, I've been too busy with work to keep up with what's been going on with this title lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CatchrNdRy posted:

I'm about to start this game on Steam for the first time. I noticed the OP hasn't been updated in awhile, are there any mods I should install?

No, just play it through as intended your first time. Bear in mind that the game was designed for a gamepad with two joysticks, so some of the computer controls are a little wonky, especially in hacking sections. If you need any more advice, this thread tends to respond quickly even though it may not be very active at any given time.

• Locked thread