Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Halfway through and I'm still stuck on the 4.0.2 that came out two days after I got my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eig
Oct 16, 2008

You can all shut up because my phone is still on Froyo and will never be updated. :smith:

(And was released after the Droid 4.)

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.
Can't we all just get along and bitch about draconian data caps like we did in the days of yore?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

traveling midget posted:

Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up

This is the Verizon Wireless Megathread, stop derailing with Android Fragmentation Bullshit. Go to XDA or even THE ANDROID THREAD.

gently caress.

settle down beavis.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Some good Android info in there. Now...back to Verizon!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My town of less than 20,000 people in western North Dakota got lit up with 4g a week ago. I was shocked and still am but I'm loving it so far. Battery life on my Bionic has been better than expected. Previously I had to drive 3+ hours to find the closest area that has 4g.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

wandler20 posted:

My town of less than 20,000 people in western North Dakota got lit up with 4g a week ago. I was shocked and still am but I'm loving it so far. Battery life on my Bionic has been better than expected. Previously I had to drive 3+ hours to find the closest area that has 4g.

Don't know where you are in ND but some parts of it is the fastest growing part of the country right now believe it or not due to oil. It's good that Verizon just went ahead and got ahead of it. With my past experiences with AT&T they will probably just admit that they underestimated demand, but won't bump up their target date of an upgrade.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ryokurin posted:

Don't know where you are in ND but some parts of it is the fastest growing part of the country right now believe it or not due to oil. It's good that Verizon just went ahead and got ahead of it. With my past experiences with AT&T they will probably just admit that they underestimated demand, but won't bump up their target date of an upgrade.

Yeah, they specifically said in the press release they did it due to the oil activity.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.
And, with our latest launch, we hit 66%+ 4G LTE coverage of the US population.

I can't believe Verizon is going to hit, and possibly even beat, the target of total penetration *giggity8 by Q1-2013. Before working for VZW, I worked for AT&T Mobility, who seemed to take quite a lackadaisical attitude to their 3G rollout. I live in NW Ohio, a medium-to-low populated area, and both VZW and Sprint got EVDO upgrades wayyy before AT&T even considered launching UMTS/HSPA in us smaller markets. Whenever we inquired about when we'd get 3G, it was always "Yeah, yeah. We'll get to you when we get to you." as if their 100,000 subscribers in the Toledo area were waiting in line at the DMV.

Verizon Wireless, on the other hand, made it a huge deal for us. Something to be excited about. From the very beginning, our district had a "possible" launch window. And as time went on, the window became smaller and smaller, and surprisingly, moved sooner and sooner. We were originally expected to launch LTE sometime in Sept '11. The true date became June 21, 2011 (IIRC). Verizon even hosted a special training-slash-breakfast to for everyone in our area to celebrate and educate us on the launch.
When AT&T launched 3G, we got an email. :confuoot:

The whole thing just shows how much of a better culture, from my perspective at least, Verizon is than AT&T was. AT&T always seemed to carry that big bell attitude of "you use us because you need us;" Verizon, however, seems to carry the attitude of "you use us because you want us." I'm not going to get all sappy, but as much as Verizon can be a loving pain in the rear end to work for, it's the first place I've worked for that has had such a positive and rewarding culture.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

SpacedOut posted:

And, with our latest launch, we hit 66%+ 4G LTE coverage of the US population.

Is there a way to see when they might be turning on 4g in a specific area (Maricopa, AZ for example)? The last that I heard from Verizon late last year was that they were going to enable it in Q1 this year. Customer Service doesn't have any details or who I could send an email to to ask.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I predict that Pueblo, Colorado will be one of the last places to get 4G LTE. Heck, it was just in the last month or so that AT&T extended its 4G coverage into Pueblo.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I noticed in Lihue (on Kauai in Hawaii) that my phone was jumping between 3G and 4G the other day. I called a buddy of mine and he said they are testing the towers. Can't wait, I thought Ocean Kansas would never get it.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

rockinricky posted:

I predict that Pueblo, Colorado will be one of the last places to get 4G LTE. Heck, it was just in the last month or so that AT&T extended its 4G coverage into Pueblo.

ATT has 4G coverage in Pueblo? They don't even have coverage at all in Manitou and surrounding areas, one would think that was a higher priority.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Verizon's now doing this "Dads and Grads" sale, with $100 off any Motorola phone. I hoped that meant the Maxx would be temporarily $100, but it's still the $200 price it got dropped to a few weeks ago.

I'm trying to convince my wife to upgrade with me, but she loves her old Incredible and refuses to upgrade if she actually has to pay for a phone. Since it's free for now, is the Droid Bionic a suitable replacement if she doesn't want to do anything fancy?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Verizon's now doing this "Dads and Grads" sale, with $100 off any Motorola phone. I hoped that meant the Maxx would be temporarily $100, but it's still the $200 price it got dropped to a few weeks ago.

I'm trying to convince my wife to upgrade with me, but she loves her old Incredible and refuses to upgrade if she actually has to pay for a phone. Since it's free for now, is the Droid Bionic a suitable replacement if she doesn't want to do anything fancy?

There's going to be an Incredible 4g successor coming to Verizon within the next month or two that will be right up her alley

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Jake Gittes posted:

I noticed that Verizon is finally going to enable Global Roaming on the Droid Razr Maxx, Droid 4, HTZ Rezoud, and Droid Razr via a software update.

Do any of our Verizon insiders have any idear on when that could happen?

I tried getting a global loaner shipped to me from Verizon for a trip starting June 5th, but they sent over a dogshit WinMo HTC Imagio. Apparently next up is a Blackberry Tour which I've used abroad without problems, but I'd love to just use my Droid 4.

Well instead of the Blackberry Tour, I got a Blackberry 8830. That's even worse than the HTC Imagio...

Is there any trick to getting these Verizon folks to ship me a loaner phone that was manufactured within the past 4 years?

I may just knuckle under and and buy an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Mini.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I decided to send my broken screen Razr to Motorola today to get fixed. $170 for a screen replacement which isn't so bad.

Once it gets updated to ICS, I may switch over to it as my daily driver and shelve the Galaxy Nexus for awhile. Radios, call quality, and speaker are just so much better on the Razr and the videos of the ICS update looks like it's 98% stock ICS aside from some icon changes and lock screen enhancements.

Ultimately, I may sell them both and buy a Droid Fighter/Razr HD outright when it comes out if it lives up to what the leaked specs have been saying about it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 29, 2012

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

AppleCobbler posted:

There's going to be an Incredible 4g successor coming to Verizon within the next month or two that will be right up her alley

She's in a mindset of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it, because that'd cost money."
So she's pretty determined to keep the Incredible, bar something good and free coming along. So the Droid Bionic seems like the right choice.

I got her phone with a BOGO deal last time (I bought a Fascinate, and she got to choose whatever she wanted). I'd wait and watch for another deal like that to come along, but my Fascinate's vibrate function has been dead for over a month (and it's been a frustrating phone in general) so I'm upgrading as soon as I get paid.

I'd been debating between the Razr Maxx and the Galaxy Nexus for myself. As cool as the Nexus is, I want a phone that will still be functional if I'm too lazy to root. So I'll probably end up going with the Razr Maxx.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

If she likes her Incredible, she is going to hate the Bionic. Rhyme would be the closest thing, but its only 3G, but then she might not give a crap.

Incredible 4G is coming mid june.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Bionic has an RGBW Pentile screen, be sure she tries it and won't hate it before signing anything.

Edit: what we're saying is wait until the Incredible 4G is free.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

bull3964 posted:

Ultimately, I may sell them both and buy a Droid Fighter/Razr HD outright when it comes out if it lives up to what the leaked specs have been saying about it.
This is what I'm waiting for (contract is up this week I think), hopefully it comes out before grandfathered unlimited goes away.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

Mighty Horse posted:

If she likes her Incredible, she is going to hate the Bionic. Rhyme would be the closest thing, but its only 3G, but then she might not give a crap.

Incredible 4G is coming mid june.

Rastor posted:

The Bionic has an RGBW Pentile screen, be sure she tries it and won't hate it before signing anything.

Edit: what we're saying is wait until the Incredible 4G is free.

Cool. This is what I needed to know. Thanks!
I'll have her try it, but I'm sure half of what she likes is all HTC-specific apps and whatnot too.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Trying to figure out if I want the Razr Maxx or want to wait for the price to fall before I upgrade or see if something even shinier comes out. Samsung Android phones give me the willies from my days working at AT&T so I think I might pass on the Nexus.

I'm currently using a Droid X and is there some mumbo-jumbo with 4G that'll let me keep unlimited data? I wouldn't be TOO hurt if I had to lose it but of course I'd like to hang onto it for dear life if that's an option. My data use is strange, sometimes I'll stream music for days and other months I'm hard pressed to break 1 gig of data usage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Right now, you can upgrade to 4G without losing unlimited. There's no real hoops you have to jump through other than making sure the person that performs the upgrade doesn't screw up and change your plan.

Verizon has two notable phones on the horizon, the Incredible 4G and the Droid Razr HD (may be branded Droid Fighter.)

Both of these phones are running the new Qualcomm S4 processor which has integrated LTE, so LTE battery life should be quite a bit better based on HTC One X testing that Anandtech did.

The Incredible 4G is going to be a qHD device with capacitance buttons. The Droid Razr HD is going to be a 720p (possible non-pentile if the HD screens being used in China are any indication) with on-screen buttons and is rumored at this point to have the MAXX's larger 3300mAh battery and a much improved camera. Both launch with ICS.

Personally, right now, I would wait for these two phones to come out while keeping my ear to the ground about Verizon changing dataplans. Eventually they are going to take away grandfathered data on an upgrade, but they promised to give fair warning first.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FINALLY, IMM76K is approved for rollout.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/29/galaxy-nexus-update-imm76k-approved-by-verizon-and-ready-to-rollout-no-this-is-not-a-joke/

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Sweet, looks like I have to revert from the leaked 4.04 build though. Glad they finally got off their assess though.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Jake Gittes posted:

Well instead of the Blackberry Tour, I got a Blackberry 8830. That's even worse than the HTC Imagio...

Is there any trick to getting these Verizon folks to ship me a loaner phone that was manufactured within the past 4 years?

I may just knuckle under and and buy an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Mini.

Seems like no one cares about this but me, but I figured I'd post the resolution in case someone runs into a similar problem.

Answer: gently caress the national Verizon Global folks, escalate the issue with local customer service. They'll find something local for you.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Right now, you can upgrade to 4G without losing unlimited. There's no real hoops you have to jump through other than making sure the person that performs the upgrade doesn't screw up and change your plan.

I'm not sure if this is known yet or not, but if I have a 4g phone right now, and the iPhone 5 ends up having 4g, can I get the iPhone 5 and not lose 4g?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hamburglar posted:

I'm not sure if this is known yet or not, but if I have a 4g phone right now, and the iPhone 5 ends up having 4g, can I get the iPhone 5 and not lose 4g?

Maybe. We don't know yet. In all likelihood you will have to buy it at full retail. They've mentioned already that if they do put the changes into effect, they will only force you on to a new plan if you buy a subsidized phone. If you buy your phones full retail, you may be able to sidestep it.

Essentially, you can view it as increasing the cost of your plan by $15 /month ($300 typical subsidy divided by the 20 months between subsidized upgrades.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Maybe. We don't know yet. In all likelihood you will have to buy it at full retail. They've mentioned already that if they do put the changes into effect, they will only force you on to a new plan if you buy a subsidized phone. If you buy your phones full retail, you may be able to sidestep it.

Essentially, you can view it as increasing the cost of your plan by $15 /month ($300 typical subsidy divided by the 20 months between subsidized upgrades.)

That....sucks. What's funny though is that Verizon would then be giving incentive not to sign a contract with them. I remember when before smart phones I feverishly stuck with my old-rear end Nokia. They would call me regularly, practically begging me to sign a contract (offering things like discount on my bill, free minutes, etc. if I signed). I guess it will be back to those days, then.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Assuming you are buying a phone every 20 months just the same, it is really an increase of $30/month, because not only are you giving up a subsidy, but you are paying for a device.

If you buy a new device at retail instead of renew a contract, you are down $300 at day one because you paid full price.

Every month you are off contract but not on a discounted phone, you are throwing away $15 in subsidy. That would be the same whether you kept the same phone or bought a new one at retail. So the following month you are down $315, and so on. Spread the $300 over 20 months, add in the subsidy you are leaving on the table, and you have $30/month.

I am not double counting things here because buying a device full price preserves your upgrade -- if not for losing unlimited data you could buy a subsidized device, eBay it, and take that $15/month subsidy off the table. That just gives you back what you pay every month though and the $300 for a full price device is still sunk.

So assuming the 4GB plan will still exist at the price of the unlimited plan now, it seems like unless you plan to go over 7GB/month (racking up $30 in overages) you are worse off by buying a phone outright. This is a brilliant backdoor way to get you to pay more for the same amount of data.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 30, 2012

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I'm willing to bet that if the new iPhone has LTE, Verizon will cut their unlimited data upgrades off the day before it comes out to maximize profits.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

kitten smoothie posted:

Assuming you are buying a phone every 20 months just the same, it is really an increase of $30/month, because not only are you giving up a subsidy, but you are paying for a device.

If you buy a new device at retail instead of renew a contract, you are down $300 at day one because you paid full price.

Every month you are off contract but not on a discounted phone, you are throwing away $15 in subsidy. That would be the same whether you kept the same phone or bought a new one at retail. So the following month you are down $315, and so on. Spread the $300 over 20 months, add in the subsidy you are leaving on the table, and you have $30/month.

I am not double counting things here because buying a device full price preserves your upgrade -- if not for losing unlimited data you could buy a subsidized device, eBay it, and take that $15/month subsidy off the table. That just gives you back what you pay every month though and the $300 for a full price device is still sunk.
This looks like crazy person math. "Giving up a subsidy" and "paying for a device" are the same thing.

Scenario 1: You pay $200 for a subsidized phone and sign a contract for 20 months. You pay $X per month for service.
Scenario 2: You pay $600 for an unsubsidized phone and do not sign a contract.You pay $X per month for service. $400 over 20 months works out to $20/month, but you pay it up front.

For both of these scenarios you pay the same amount per month and you get a new phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

True enough, but as Doctor rear end in a top hat points out above, my only real net change in cost to myself is the difference between subsidized price and unsubsidized price as I don't have a choice in the service price.

quote:

So assuming the 4GB plan will still exist at the price of the unlimited plan now, it seems like unless you plan to go over 7GB/month (racking up $30 in overages) you are worse off by buying a phone outright. This is a brilliant backdoor way to get you to pay more for the same amount of data.

That's also assuming that 4GB remains the new standard and they don't revert to 2GB. Right now, 4GB is still "limited time only."

I have a suspicion that 4GB is going to be the entry point for family share plan and individual accounts are going to be stuck at 2GB. Under that situation, 5gb is the limit with $30 in overage and honestly that's not a ton of data.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 30, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

This looks like crazy person math. "Giving up a subsidy" and "paying for a device" are the same thing.

Scenario 1: You pay $200 for a subsidized phone and sign a contract for 20 months. You pay $X per month for service.
Scenario 2: You pay $600 for an unsubsidized phone and do not sign a contract.You pay $X per month for service. $400 over 20 months works out to $20/month, but you pay it up front.

For both of these scenarios you pay the same amount per month and you get a new phone.
The key is what I bolded. In each scenario you pay the same amount per month, but if you don't take a subsidy you're effectively paying twice.

In scenario 1, you "borrowed" money (aka the subsidy) and you are paying it back over the life of the contract. Some portion of your bill, $15-$20 of it, goes toward paying that off.

In scenario 2, you paid $300-$400 more for the device up front since you did not sign a contract. However, you also pay the same amount per month. You are still paying the same monthly bill as though you were paying off a subsidy, but in this scenario, you have no subsidy to pay off. That additional cash goes into Verizon's pocket as profit rather than coming to you in the form of a phone discount.

You could let that money work for you by burning the upgrade, buying a subsidized device, and flipping it. Then you are paying the same amount every month, but you get that $15-$20 back because you cashed out the subsidy. But that kills your unlimited data.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 30, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's irrelevant. The net cost to the end user is simply the difference between the subsidized phone and the unsubsidized phone. So, it would only take $300 or so in overages over a 20 month period to be worse off going with the subsidized phone at a limited data tier over keeping the unlimited.

$300 is only $15 a month over 20 months so you can really only afford 1gb of overage if you want to come out ahead switching to a capped plan.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

kitten smoothie posted:

The key is what I bolded. In each scenario you pay the same amount per month, but if you don't take a subsidy you're effectively paying twice.

In scenario 1, you "borrowed" money (aka the subsidy) and you are paying it back over the life of the contract. Some portion of your bill, $15-$20 of it, goes toward paying that off.

In scenario 2, you paid $300-$400 more for the device up front since you did not sign a contract. However, you also pay the same amount per month. You are still paying the same monthly bill as though you were paying off a subsidy, but in this scenario, you have no subsidy to pay off. That additional cash goes into Verizon's pocket as profit rather than coming to you in the form of a phone discount.

You could let that money work for you by burning the upgrade, buying a subsidized device, and flipping it. Then you are paying the same amount every month, but you get that $15-$20 back because you cashed out the subsidy. But that kills your unlimited data.
You are counting the subsidy discount twice. You can't eat your cake and have it too. The only difference is what you pay up front. It doesn't matter how Verizon appropriates your money on their end.

Assuming $100 per month for service:

Scenario 1: You pay $200 for a subsidized device under the condition of a 20 month contract. Total cost: $2200.

Scenario 2: You pay $600 for an unsubsidized device with no conditions. You stay with Verizon for 20 months without having a contract. Total cost: $2600.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

It's irrelevant. The net cost to the end user is simply the difference between the subsidized phone and the unsubsidized phone. So, it would only take $300 or so in overages over a 20 month period to be worse off going with the subsidized phone at a limited data tier over keeping the unlimited.

$300 is only $15 a month over 20 months so you can really only afford 1gb of overage if you want to come out ahead switching to a capped plan.

The net cost is the same, but you're getting an extra $400 in value by taking a subsidy. Basically, you're paying the extra $400 for the phone, and giving verizon an extra $20 per month.

Its less that you are spending more than that you are costing verizon more.

EDIT: ^^ That's also true.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

But it all comes down to how much data you use. If you use more than 5gb a month, you are better off (under the current pricing scheme) eating that $400 and keeping your unlimited because you're just going to spend an extra $400 in overages over 20 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You're right. I apologize for the diversion and will return us to the discussion about how Samsung is a horrible company:

The LTE Galaxy Nexus dock appears to be finally available for purchase -- for the princely sum of $89.99. And this is just for the hunk of plastic with the pins, because a power supply is not included. You've still got to come up with your own.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EDD-D1F8BEBSTD

• Locked thread