Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

duckfarts posted:

This. Apparently Overseer is a remake of Mean Streets; is the Mean Streets still worth playing then, and is Martian Memorandum good enough to warrant buying?

Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum are only worth playing if you have some VERY rose-tinted glasses.

They were sort of tech prototypes in the early 80s, and they haven't aged well at ALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Blackwell Bundle is now on GOG for $9.99 (will go up to $14.99 in a week's time).

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Blodskur posted:

The Blackwell Bundle is now on GOG for $9.99 (will go up to $14.99 in a week's time).

I really want Deception but I already own the first 3 from IndieRoyale :sigh:

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just finished a whole play-through of the first 4 today (Mage...best class) and I had exactly two bugs.

In QfG3, I was just walking in the savannah, and the game randomly crashed.

And in QfG4, I had two problems which are "hold overs" from the CD anthology version.

The "Squid Stone" puzzle:
You have to click certain letters twice/three times, and even then, it might not work, so you just start clicking randomly then maybe it works.

And at the end:
This would only affect a Mage play-through. I couldn't get my Magic Staff spell to cast after killing Ad Avis. I kept getting the message "You're too busy to cast a spell right now." I found a solution online, which involves casting Force Bolt a few more times after that first one you kill Ad with, and then trying to summon your staff. That worked on, like, the third try.

Neither of those seemed to be fixed by slowing down the CPU cycles in DOSBox. The first problem I did get it with a slowed-down DOSBox, but it still was wonky and I had to do what I described in the box.

The second one was done with it set at the default.

But the BIG problems that QfG4 had (Error 47 when sliding down the ramp, dieing instantly at the Chernovy wizard part in the swamp, etc... are gone.

God gently caress that Error 47. The staff I definitely remember well too.

Is there still weirdness with the Domovoi not showing up?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

antidote posted:

God gently caress that Error 47. The staff I definitely remember well too.

Is there still weirdness with the Domovoi not showing up?

Maybe? Just make sure to spend a night or two in the inn before day...5? I think?

Edit: Despite just finishing, I'll probably start my Fighter/Paladin playthrough soon...I'm trying to do "straight" runs, so I have to resist the temptation to give my Fighter magic/stealth/climibing/lock picking in QfG1...

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I always did "pure" runs, ie not giving magic points to fighters/thieves or thieving to non thiefs. I think you can actually miss out on puzzle points by solving some puzzles with a hybrid character. eg if your fighter uses the spell fetch to get something instead of climbing up to get it

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Blodskur posted:

I'm going to buy this because that's my last name, and there's no way that it could be bad because of that. Everyone buy it because it must be good. Also, I've heard the series is great.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

This falls under the heading of Old Games (but not Good) and preemptive warning, in case GOG ever release it - Spoony has released the first half of his Ultima 9 review. Just the first half is 45 minutes long.

Think of this as the final send-off for a grand series. Buried in the desert. At sea. In an unmarked grave.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dominic White posted:

This falls under the heading of Old Games (but not Good) and preemptive warning, in case GOG ever release it - Spoony has released the first half of his Ultima 9 review. Just the first half is 45 minutes long.

Think of this as the final send-off for a grand series. Buried in the desert. At sea. In an unmarked grave.

To watch while at work or when home... Hmm.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Dominic White posted:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Dominic White posted:

THe whole series of spoony Ultima videos are worth a watch, especially if you can't be bothered playing the games but want to understand their importance anyway.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dominic White posted:

How have I never seen this guy's videos before? I have my coworkers looking at me funny and wondering if I'm okay because I'm snickering so much.

Edit: "What's a paladin?" :laffo:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 30, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

How have I never seen this guy's videos before? I have my coworkers looking at me funny and wondering if I'm okay because I'm snickering so much.

Edit: "What's a paladin?" :laffo:

The Ultima retrospective is probably the only decent thing he's done in recent times, and even it has a bunch of questionable moments (unfunny green screen "skits").

His SWAT 4 and Phantasmagoria 2 LPs were pretty great but he seems to have been drowning himself in the painfully unfunny TGWTG part of the internet ever since doing FFVIII.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

dud root posted:

eg if your fighter uses the spell fetch to get something instead of climbing up to get it

Climbing is a thief skill!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

a medical mystery posted:

The Ultima retrospective is probably the only decent thing he's done in recent times, and even it has a bunch of questionable moments (unfunny green screen "skits").

His SWAT 4 and Phantasmagoria 2 LPs were pretty great but he seems to have been drowning himself in the painfully unfunny TGWTG part of the internet ever since doing FFVIII.

I don't understand how or if people really like that stuff at all, but at least Spoony's contribution isn't as painful as Linkara's. They are all terrible actors and they'd be much better off if they just focused on the content of their shows and didn't feel any need to add a dumb gimmick to make themselves standout. Your content is fine, dudes, you don't need to pretend you are being invaded by loving Star Trek to make your dumb review site about comicbooks more interesting.

It actually hurts them more and I've stopped watching pretty much all of their poo poo.

At least Spoony has his Counter-monkey thing which is completely free of that poo poo.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mordaedil posted:

I don't understand how or if people really like that stuff at all, but at least Spoony's contribution isn't as painful as Linkara's. They are all terrible actors and they'd be much better off if they just focused on the content of their shows and didn't feel any need to add a dumb gimmick to make themselves standout. Your content is fine, dudes, you don't need to pretend you are being invaded by loving Star Trek to make your dumb review site about comicbooks more interesting.

It actually hurts them more and I've stopped watching pretty much all of their poo poo.

At least Spoony has his Counter-monkey thing which is completely free of that poo poo.

I feel like the That Guy With Classes people would be so much better if they had a huge meltdown and all went their separate ways. The (very) few funny and insightful people feel like they constantly have to have stupid crossovers with unfunny people, lovely gimmick characters, and my god all the circlejerking that goes on is unbearable.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Dominic White posted:

That was horrible.

I think playing Ultima 9 would be less painful than watching his full review.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/thatbarnettblok/status/207828176498475009

Paul Barnett posted:

Very excited, we have GOG love incoming... It's only taken us forever to get to this point, go go ultra resilience and being bloody minded!

Haha I really hope it's not Ultima 9 :(

If so I'll wipe my tears on my cloth map.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Finally, Peggle comes to GOG.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

They tweeted something earlier about "12 hours from now" about 9 hours ago. I'll be asleep since I'm in Asia. I was hoping for another live convo, but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see their lame announcement.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
I imagine a lot of the fuss today will be less to do with GOG and more to do with CD Projekt Red's new RPG announcement. Probably that it's going to be available on GOG will be the GOG news.

There's a concept art picture on Eurogamer (and I assume many other places and this is probably really old news oh god) here at the bottom of the article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-29-witcher-2-dev-to-reveal-first-details-on-second-triple-a-rpg-tomorrow. I am excited.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I imagine a lot of the fuss today will be less to do with GOG and more to do with CD Projekt Red's new RPG announcement. Probably that it's going to be available on GOG will be the GOG news.

I do think it will be more about CD Projekt than GOG (it usually is), but signs are pointing to at least some announcements from GOG today.

GOG.com posted:

around 40 minutes later (that’s around 5.40 GMT!), TheEnigmaticT will tell you about GOG.com’s upcoming plans and release a number of fantastic games live at the show.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers, the new game up for pre-order today, is pretty pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXgEqac1op4

I had never heard of it before. It'll be interesting to see if some indies can actually get more exposure from GOG than Steam because of how cluttered the latter's ubiquity has made it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Conference is starting now! Let's hope they don't have that horribly awkward fedora wearing nerd again.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Conference is starting now! Let's hope they don't have that horribly awkward fedora wearing nerd again.

I'm pretty sure they will since he's their lead marketing guy.

I look forward to awkward polish antics.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Link in case anyone needs it. It's started.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
As great as Witcher 2 is, I am so looking forward to the day they have a conference where it's not their first item of business.

Edit: These developers are all so awkward.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 30, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
You're welcome.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Not a smurf game? Preorder cancelled!

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
...Shadowrun?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Vlaphor posted:

...Shadowrun?

Not enough dragons. :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Vlaphor posted:

...Shadowrun?
I hope so.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Cyberpunk 2020.

Man, a good year for oldschool RPGs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kickass!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mq posted:

Cyberpunk 2020.

Man, a good year for oldschool RPGs.

gently caress yes I love Billy Idol.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I'm not really into cyberpunk stuff, but I'm going to buy this because of how great The Witcher games are, and this guy's voice...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'm counting on you guys to tell me whether they'll keep clogging up their site with indie titles, or that I'll have to start throwing money at them again.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Dude I hope this RPG guy is a voice in the game.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It's Fedora time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That was a bit sparse on details.