Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

Holy poo poo, between this, the 300+ wrestlers WCW had on its payroll, and Lanny Poffo making a six-figure salary for years despite never stepping one toe in a WCW ring, I wish I had been born 10 years earlier with a even shred of athletic talent so I could've entered wrestling and got a piece of the WCW gravytrain too.
If WCW were still around I guarantee you half of PSP would be on the roster and making millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

crankdatbatman posted:

It was? I swear I've heard the argument that WWF was awful in 1997 aside from Austin and Hart.

Also so according to this the lauded Attitude Era everybody wishes would come back lasted for four years, and only one of those years was any good?

I didn't start watching until late 99, for clarity.

Wrestling was hot back then and they had bigger stars. So even if it was technically not very good, it was still more entertaining then today. It's one of the quirks of pro-wrestling.

When I said 97 was good, I forgot to mention only after Russo took over was it good. A lot of fun angles and story lines in the main event, not to mention The Rock / Shamrock feud which I enjoyed because the Rock was a great foil to Shamrock. Everything was really fresh because Russo literally had no loving clue what he was doing and completely did everything rear end backwards which was great fun for a while. Also he had people around him who'd stop him from doing the dumb poo poo he did in WCW later on.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ColeM posted:

I also love the fact that Hall & Nash's contracts had a clause in it that enabled their pay to be bumped up if anyone entered the company and made more money than them.
That was loving genius. "We don't have the money to pay you any more than this." "Okay. Can you put that in writing?"

They exploited WCW's lies for financial gain. They were all about Bret coming in because they knew they'd get a huge raise.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

That was loving genius. "We don't have the money to pay you any more than this." "Okay. Can you put that in writing?"

They exploited WCW's lies for financial gain. They were all about Bret coming in because they knew they'd get a huge raise.

Jesus...back during Fan Axxess for Mania 18 I asked Eric Bishoff whow as the biggest waste of money during his tenure [1st question out of the gate too, visably startling the crowd with the non-softball question, GO ME!]and he said The Kiss Demon. The Deal was something insane like a million bucks to KISS even after the concert agreement so I wonder if that helped jack up the scale.

The rumour as to why Randy Savage didn't make it into the HOF this years is because Lanny Poffo wanted the whole family inducted at once and wanted some cash so the WWE took a pass.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dead Snoopy posted:

Jesus...back during Fan Axxess for Mania 18 I asked Eric Bishoff whow as the biggest waste of money during his tenure [1st question out of the gate too, visably startling the crowd with the non-softball question, GO ME!]and he said The Kiss Demon. The Deal was something insane like a million bucks to KISS even after the concert agreement so I wonder if that helped jack up the scale.

The rumour as to why Randy Savage didn't make it into the HOF this years is because Lanny Poffo wanted the whole family inducted at once and wanted some cash so the WWE took a pass.

He says it was Randy's wish. Given that Savage demanded his dad be put in the WCW HOF too, this is likely the case.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dead Snoopy posted:

That was in his will I believe. He would not be in the hall of fame unless his entire family joins him.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Do they really even need his permission to induct him? It's not like there's an actual building to dedicate a wing to him it's just a ceremony before Wrestlemania.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Oatgan posted:

Do they really even need his permission to induct him? It's not like there's an actual building to dedicate a wing to him it's just a ceremony before Wrestlemania.

They don't, but then their only choice for the acceptance would be his wife and I doubt she would violate his wishes either. I guess they could have Stephanie accept? Or Gorgeous George.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

They don't, but then their only choice for the acceptance would be his wife and I doubt she would violate his wishes either. I guess they could have Stephanie accept? Or Gorgeous George.

Or:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Are there any other instances where a show has been stopped by police run in like in Brazil ?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Are there any other instances where a show has been stopped by police run in like in Brazil ?

It used to happen all the time back in ye olden days. Guys like Terry Funk and Harley Race were stabbed trying to make it to their cars. In recent memory there was JBL giving Eddie's mother a heart attack by shouting at her. Dude was thrown into the back of a police car wearing nothing but his wrestling trunks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

^^ There's a ton of this stuff on the aptly-named Memphis Heat DVD.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

flashy_mcflash posted:

^^ There's a ton of this stuff on the aptly-named Memphis Heat DVD.

Wrestling was serious business here.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

MassRayPer posted:

The main event and semi main event storylines were really good, the undercard was mostly bad. Most people pay the most attention to the top of the card.

2000 was better.

:hehe:

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Are Sheamus and Beaker really kayfabe relatives or were they just joking? I need to know if Muppet storylines are considered canon in the WWE Universe.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Burt Buckle posted:

Are Sheamus and Beaker really kayfabe relatives or were they just joking? I need to know if Muppet storylines are considered canon in the WWE Universe.

everything is canon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't want to live in a world where Jack Swagger and Vickie Guerrero didn't get into an argument with Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

It's on Beaker's Wikipedia article so it must be canon

UndashingOne
May 31, 2011
What is it that makes the David Flair Titiantron so infamous?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

UndashingOne posted:

It's an achievement in laziness. They couldn't even be bothered to show some of his WCW footage. Plus they slid in a shot of Flair looking disappointed.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

UndashingOne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGQtP8gHbc
This, mostly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Holy poo poo, I had never seen that until now. Is it possible it was just a big rib or something? I can't imagine anyone thinking it was a good idea to have 75% of David's entrance video be shots of Ric Flair looking disappointed and/or getting the poo poo beaten out of him.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Holy poo poo, I had never seen that until now. Is it possible it was just a big rib or something? I can't imagine anyone thinking it was a good idea to have 75% of David's entrance video be shots of Ric Flair looking disappointed and/or getting the poo poo beaten out of him.

This is the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hlO_1JGTww

Plus David Flair is awesome. He got a real career to support himself and just wrestles on weekends doing the best of Ric Flair promos, i.e. Commissioner Flair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC8oJgR2-eI

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 29, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I just love that shot of Ric in that video

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

OK, dumb question: I was watching the Cardinals & Braves play yesterday and I could swear I heard the horrible color guy (not that fuckhead Chip Caray but the other guy) say that someone hit a "Ric Flair" into the outfield. Did I hear correctly?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

OK, dumb question: I was watching the Cardinals & Braves play yesterday and I could swear I heard the horrible color guy (not that fuckhead Chip Caray but the other guy) say that someone hit a "Ric Flair" into the outfield. Did I hear correctly?

No. A flare as in flare gun is what he said.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Frot Lesnar posted:

No. A flare as in flare gun is what he said.

I'm familiar with the baseball use of the word flare. He said something I couldn't make out before the word "flare". I could have sworn he said Ric.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I'm familiar with the baseball use of the word flare. He said something I couldn't make out before the word "flare". I could have sworn he said Ric.

Inning? Who was batting? I can try and track it down.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Frot Lesnar posted:

Inning? Who was batting? I can try and track it down.

Oh man, I'm not sure. I only watched the middle three innings, and the Cards were batting is about the best I can do.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No don't freak out, some of southern commentators call a "flare" a "Ric Flair".

Also, the EPSN Baseball Today podcast starts with some manager going "To be the best, you have to beat the best. Ric Flair said that and that's my slogan" or something.

Unless of course I imagined it to and he actually said "hits a weak flare" into right field.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Apologies for any rambling.

97 had the. . . the Montreal Screwjob. . .

People seem to forget that this show really, really sucked even leaving out the bullshit main event finish. Today this show would be considered a disaster.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

People seem to forget that this show really, really sucked even leaving out the bullshit main event finish. Today this show would be considered a disaster.

The rematch of Austin vs. Owen after austin broke his neck, which, according to wikipedia was 4 minute long.. what a jip!

It had Kane's first ever match vs. Mankind which was just a beat down pretty much.

And it had Bret vs. Shawn which is a good match but is totally tainted now.

but you're right, it had far too much filler on the rear end end of it.

And it's tainted.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I've been watching a lot of Botchamania and I love the segments where people are being interviewed about (in)famous moments that they were involved in. I've only seen two or three so far. Are there any great ones I should find?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lone Rogue posted:

Plus David Flair is awesome. He got a real career to support himself and just wrestles on weekends doing the best of Ric Flair promos, i.e. Commissioner Flair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC8oJgR2-eI

When did David's voice change to where he sounds exactly like his dad?! :psyduck:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Liar Lyre posted:

I've been watching a lot of Botchamania and I love the segments where people are being interviewed about (in)famous moments that they were involved in. I've only seen two or three so far. Are there any great ones I should find?

Look for the scaffold match involving Cornette.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

The Dusty's Muffler story is a must see. Just a warning, the content of the story is :nms:

EDIT: Grammar

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

James Mitchell's story about almost blowing his hand apart while in ECW is pretty great. Includes the best Sandman impression you will ever hear.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

sexy_trash posted:

The rematch of Austin vs. Owen after austin broke his neck, which, according to wikipedia was 4 minute long.. what a jip!

it's a "jip" because Austin shouldn't have even been in the ring at that point but they had been teasing Austin getting his revenge on Owen and actually wrestling again they had to do something and well, that was it. It would take both Austin healing some more as well as him developing an entirely new main event style before he'd truly be ring ready again.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
On the plus side, that whole thing brought us the "OWEN 3:16 says I just broke your neck" shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sexy_trash posted:

It had Kane's first ever match vs. Mankind which was just a beat down pretty much.

And it had Bret vs. Shawn which is a good match but is totally tainted now.

but you're right, it had far too much filler on the rear end end of it.

And it's tainted.

Really the worst bits are the elimination matches, which contained gadzooks of people. . . And two they were interested in pushing at all. The wrestling quality was way below what we get today in undercard matches. And there was stuff like an America v. Canada match where they clearly didn't understand that you couldn't

A) Book Vader as a babyface pretty much anywhere, let alone in Canada when he's on the American team;

B) Have someone on his team turn heel on him and make it work in those circumstances.

Like, whoever booked the match just showed no grasp of psychology. Russo I suppose.

Probably the funniest moment was Animal no-selling a piledriver from D. Lo Brown and then immediately jobbing to the Rock Bottom two seconds later.