Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

backifran posted:

Thanks to everyone who answered, I mapped it to A and mashing the buttons seems to work. Going to keep it off for now as I keep loving up corners trying to change down and get used to no ABS or TC. Next up turning the suggested line off!
I've found that not shifting down until I'm all the way slowed down for the corner keeps me from having the rear end of my car slide out due to an early down-shift. Is this the best or correct way to do it? I'm not sure. But for me, it works ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've found that not shifting down until I'm all the way slowed down for the corner keeps me from having the rear end of my car slide out due to an early down-shift. Is this the best or correct way to do it? I'm not sure. But for me, it works ok.

As far as the game is concerned, I don't think there's a "correct" way. It's mostly about how comfortable you are. When I played without the clutch enabled, not shifting left me feeling like I was more likely to spin out. This makes no sense, but I did it anyways.

In the real world, I think the ideal is to always be ready to accelerate, which means selecting a gear that puts you in a comfortable location in the car's power band.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

I actually find the rewind to be a pretty powerful training tool. Yeah, it means you can erase a mistake. But it also means you can attempt a corner as many times as you want until you get it right.

(spoiler alert: the solution is almost always to take the corner slower)

Rewind taught me that cars turn into uncontrollable projectiles on race tracks. I had quite a few when I was learning to play where I rewound to just before the turn entrance a dozen times or so until it became apparent I'd already driven my car to the point of no return many seconds ago and no amount of careful braking or turning was going to save it.

For me it helps to hit the throttle a bit while the clutch is still disengaged. But you'd have to have the most coordinated set of fingers in the universe to do that on a controller.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

For me it helps to hit the throttle a bit while the clutch is still disengaged. But you'd have to have the most coordinated set of fingers in the universe to do that on a controller.

I usually just let off the the trigger a bit as I shift, gets rid of the over-rev wheel spin thing when you pop it back in gear.

Plus it feels cooler.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I usually just let off the the trigger a bit as I shift, gets rid of the over-rev wheel spin thing when you pop it back in gear.

Plus it feels cooler.
Yeah, I do this too. You also don't hear the engine pinging off the rev limiter which can get annoying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I do this too. You also don't hear the engine pinging off the rev limiter which can get annoying.

It is annoying, but there's a persistent theory among Forza players that you accelerate faster when you bounce off the limiter. If it's true, it's a glitch with the game so I don't recommend trying it in the real world.

Reasoning seems to be you spend less time not sending max power to the wheels.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

xzzy posted:

If it's true, it's a glitch with the game so I don't recommend trying it in the real world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powershifting

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
You want to shift into lower gears as fast as possible, maximizing the use of the engine brake to slow the car down, without over-revving of course.

The car jolts sideways when you downshift in a corner because you're not blipping the throttle. If you don't, then the RPMs suddenly jump and it jerks the rear wheels out from under you. If you rev the engine during an engaged clutch, you can match the RPMs to that of when you disengage, and then the car won't jump out from you.

It's a lenient game, so you don't have to do all of this to get the car around the track, but it helps.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
JohnIWanna announced on the Forza Forums that there will in fact be a June Meguiar's DLC pack announced later this week.

The Community Bounty Hunter has a final time set of 1:36.550 in the Monthly Rivals Autumn Fallout event. Prize is a Jaguar D-Type with an A600 tune and a custom paint job.

Also, in the Week in Review, JohnIWanna posted a chance to earn a Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera unicorn for making a list under the Status Symbols vs. Driver's Cars section.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JohnIWanna announced on the Forza Forums that there will in fact be a June Meguiar's DLC pack announced later this week.

This makes me very happy, I was not expecting a June DLC pack because we already got 40 cars in May.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
When is the fabled DLC that includes the new Viper dropping?

That one. I want it.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Awesome 10 more cars that won't fit in my garage because of the 550 car limit!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why do you have 550 cars?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Well, 518 right now but 550 only covers me through R3 in terms of owning all cars. I want to own all cars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

General Probe posted:

Well, 518 right now but 550 only covers me through R3 in terms of owning all cars. I want to own all cars.

I'm with you on that one. I'm so use to it in Gran Turismo, that it was weird to me to learn that you can't own all of the cars in Forza 4. Forza 4's car list after next week is up to 645.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
What the gently caress, I didn't know that! I've been hoarding cars planning on owning them all but I guess I can start selling them off now. Already got the achievement for owning 300 or whatever that one is.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

When is the fabled DLC that includes the new Viper dropping?

That one. I want it.

All they really said was "this summer", but I'm betting July since the pack would hit the day before July 4th and who wouldn't want to drive a Viper on OORAH AMERICA #1 day?

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I don't really give a poo poo about owning them all, since like in Gran Turismo most of them are bland crap that are boring to drive at best and easily half of the GT2 and GT1 race cars are reskins of each other. I'm working slowly towards 300 but I'm only buying stuff I like, not blowing 25k at a time on all the forgettable mid-range crap they tend to put in these games. It's disappointing that there are so few events on the list for R3 and R2 class production cars, because those hypercars are some of my favorites, along with GT500s which there are only two events for. Working my way through C-class 2-lap races on the same seven circuits the game seems to choose for some reason over all the others really gets boring. Setting up private pseudo-online races is a really great feature, although I don't use it that much because I need to be able to pause.

re: manual w/ clutch, I do the "mash A and X/B" thing but I've also experimented with using the right analog stick as clutch/handbrake and LB/RB for the gears because that way they're actually pressure sensitive. It feels pretty cool to do, but ultimately I just can't hit LT and LB at the same time to brake because my hand is too big to fit comfortably on those two buttons at the same time.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is it dumb that I am actually really excited about doing the ring in the pintos tonight for 90 minutes?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Nope. I'll be missing it though, since I'll be out watching US socer game tonight.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bentai posted:

Nope. I'll be missing it though, since I'll be out watching US socer game tonight.

Nice, I'll be watching the last half hour of the game on my laptop while we start the race. Are you going to the game or just going to a bar to watch?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Heading to a bar with other members of the LA "American Outlaws" chapter. Fully expecting a soccer reality check.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

I don't really give a poo poo about owning them all, since like in Gran Turismo most of them are bland crap that are boring to drive at best and easily half of the GT2 and GT1 race cars are reskins of each other.

I've made a conscious decision not to buy the reskins but that will still leave me with about unique 25 cars at least that I can't have in my garage due to limitations.
I also have a really hard time understanding the attitude (mostly prevalent on the official forums) of "well I don't want to have all the cars so you shouldn't need them either!" It's a really loving stupid position to take.

Edit: Also watching that soccer game tonight, aw yeah!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Is it dumb that I am actually really excited about doing the ring in the pintos tonight for 90 minutes?
Not in the least! It's fun as hell.
Also fun as hell: stock Pintos on Fujimi full/full-reverse.

I want to join the others in congratulating you on turning off the racing line.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

General Probe posted:

I've made a conscious decision not to buy the reskins but that will still leave me with about unique 25 cars at least that I can't have in my garage due to limitations.
I also have a really hard time understanding the attitude (mostly prevalent on the official forums) of "well I don't want to have all the cars so you shouldn't need them either!" It's a really loving stupid position to take.

Edit: Also watching that soccer game tonight, aw yeah!

The official forums are like a half-step up from Blizzard and Gamefaqs at best. It does suck that they don't give you enough space, I don't really understand why there would be technical limitations on that if the cars are already in the game. I might run into that problem eventually even without the reskins or those mediocre boring ones.

That said, one of my favorite cars in the game is the Vauxhall VX220 so if anyone else finds any especially good cars that don't immediately present as remarkable I'm all ears. I like the fast ones, and I like the E and D class cars, I just have trouble finding mid-range ones that are unique and fun to drive.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Does anyone in GISH (or however it's spelled) still play? I want to play some online Forza after work today (gently caress the gym)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GramCracker posted:

Does anyone in GISH (or however it's spelled) still play? I want to play some online Forza after work today (gently caress the gym)

I think GISH is pretty much completely dead. Not sure if there's any more room in AUGR, though.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think GISH is pretty much completely dead. Not sure if there's any more room in AUGR, though.

I have a hammer if we need it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I just picked up this game, and I'm having a blast with it! The AUGR club is full though, sadly. :(

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I just picked up this game, and I'm having a blast with it! The AUGR club is full though, sadly. :(
now that my life has kind of stabilized, I'm planning on racing more.
I can clean the club a bit tonight.

Also, do I drive a Pinto, or should I make Audrey (cool kids, Inc.) drive for extra hilarity?
(she played some a couple weeks ago, and had a good time)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jabs posted:

now that my life has kind of stabilized, I'm planning on racing more.
I can clean the club a bit tonight.

Also, do I drive a Pinto, or should I make Audrey (cool kids, Inc.) drive for extra hilarity?
(she played some a couple weeks ago, and had a good time)

HE RETURNS

Who's Audrey?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

PopeOnARope posted:

I have a hammer if we need it.

We do, apparently, as I still have been unable to get in.

I let my dad have a go at the game today, since he's been bugging me. Insisted that he played on hard, so he could have majority of control over the car. Bad move:

Had this actually have been him driving, he'd be dead, considering he went into a corner and hit the brakes late, causing him to skid out and slam into a wall of tires at ~130 MPH.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So standard first time racing game experience?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Xenoletum posted:

I let my dad have a go at the game today, since he's been bugging me. Insisted that he played on hard, so he could have majority of control over the car. Bad move:

Had this actually have been him driving, he'd be dead, considering he went into a corner and hit the brakes late, causing him to skid out and slam into a wall of tires at ~130 MPH.

This sounds like my dad on every simulatorish game ever. Telling him it's easier to learn if he turns the difficulty options down just encourages him.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

HE RETURNS

Who's Audrey?
*hangs head*

I'm dating........a goonette.

She's pretty awesome, actually

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Cojawfee posted:

So standard first time racing game experience?

Pretty much, he's more of the POWER type who likes to go fast in straight lines, so cornering is a completely foreign concept to him. On the few corners he did get right, he wasn't accelerating until he was well past the apex and almost onto the straight.

All in all though he said that it's addicting and he wants to try it with an actual race wheel, as opposed to just the controller. Looks like I'll have to start saving up for a CSR set.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can someone repaste the pinto spec rules ? I'm about to build a car for tonight, but stuck browsing on an android phone and having trouble locating the pinto rules.

Edit: Ahh poo poo. The Pinto is DLC. Is there an alternate car ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 31, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xenoletum posted:

Pretty much, he's more of the POWER type who likes to go fast in straight lines, so cornering is a completely foreign concept to him. On the few corners he did get right, he wasn't accelerating until he was well past the apex and almost onto the straight.

All in all though he said that it's addicting and he wants to try it with an actual race wheel, as opposed to just the controller. Looks like I'll have to start saving up for a CSR set.

My father uses the Ms race wheel, with a TV tray as a stand. His lap times improved with it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
AUGR Housecleaning done, 21 member with a level below 50 kicked.
Currently we're at 78/99.

If you were below level 50, and got kicked, just ask to rejoin, m'kay?

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

jonathan posted:

Can someone repaste the pinto spec rules ? I'm about to build a car for tonight, but stuck browsing on an android phone and having trouble locating the pinto rules.

Edit: Ahh poo poo. The Pinto is DLC. Is there an alternate car ?
The cars are actually pre-made tunes. You can get them from the storefront, search for gamertag Krautastic. The Pinto is there, and if you don't have the DLC, there is a Mustang King Cobra also under the label "specpinto" and you can use that car.

• Locked thread