Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Coolguye posted:

RPing psycho woman

With this story and the other RP grief a bit earlier, starting to seem like WoW RP servers attracted crazy pretty hard. Never played those myself, but man caring so much about that kind of poo poo is pretty much asking to get butthurt when people inevitably gently caress with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I was about to say something similar. When I played vanilla WoW waaaay back when, I often flirted with the idea of RP servers whenever I got bored of PVP. Just about every single RP story I've read since re-cements that I made the right choice to stay far, far, away.

People in RP servers barely need to be pushed to either grief themselves, spazz out, shoot out mountains of complaints to anyone who'll listen, or (typically it seems) a combination of all three. It seems like it's the type of group that's not even worth griefing, as it falls into the "all too easy" category. :raise:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Boru posted:

I was about to say something similar. When I played vanilla WoW waaaay back when, I often flirted with the idea of RP servers whenever I got bored of PVP. Just about every single RP story I've read since re-cements that I made the right choice to stay far, far, away.
I'd generally agree. There were some pretty cool people on the RP servers, the sorts of folks who are just goofy and don't really care if people are watching. One of the more well known Troll Rogues on Silver Hand in the early days would /em himself pinching a silver piece from various people, then get silly if they responded with silliness, or just full on weird if they flipped out and thought he actually did it, emoting stuff like flipping the coin in the air and daring them to grab it and poo poo. He was a huge kook and always fun to chill with.

The catch is, people like that generally have lives outside of the game because they're not psychopaths, so they tend to get drowned out by the people who don't, because they are. Not everyone on an RP server is a frothing maniac, but the people who tend to be the loudest and most likely to talk to you tend to be.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My wife, my brother, some mutual friends and I tried playing on RP servers a few times but it never worked out very well. Sometimes it was fun goofing around and pretending to be undead traveling salesmen peddling snake oil and fine secondhand formal attire, but for the most part RP servers were a mix of three things:

1) SERIOUS ARPEE players stringing together incredibly elabourate emotes, writing up sonnet-length lines of dialogue, and addressing everything with astounding gravitas while their characters sipped ale, made polite smalltalk, and did precisely nothing of interest or consequence
2) The same vast swathes of grindy kill-things-take-their-poo poo-and-gain-levels content as you'd find anywhere else, except now it took about 300 times longer to get through because most people would rather gravely sip ale than do quests, and the ones that did do quests insisted on interacting with mindless NPCs and slooowly typing out verbose reactions to whatever random irrelevant poo poo someone else had just done instead of hitting dudes or collecting infected rabbit pelts or whatever the gently caress
3) Insane RP guilds full of people who would never even acknowledge your existence unless you had a specific UI plugin that let you view RP profiles and display your own, which was a daunting prospect because an alarming number of those profiles described Sephirothy half-demon destiny children with dragon ancestry or the illegitimate love-spawn of <Mad Libs two important characters in here> or Draenei hermaphrodites with melon-sized breasts and novelty-sized penises

None of the above is fabricated or exaggerated, by the way. In fact I'm probably understating the severity of #3 quite a bit :geno:

The most fun I ever had on an RP server was when I made a Human Rogue that looked like a cranky old black guy on a server well-known for being a cybersex hangout, then went to the Goldshire inn (apparently the place to be if you wanted your ancient dragon-souled dwarf to bang improbably-endowed gnomes or whatever the poo poo) and crept around in the private rooms under stealth.

Friendly players could see through stealth pretty easily, plus low level Rogues are really loving lovely at it and can be spotted a mile away by higher-level characters, so I stuck out like a sore thumb. I would find a room with two or more people hanging out in silence (which, in Goldshire, ALWAYS meant a ~steamy private rendezvous~ in party chat or similar) and I would just stand there, staring at them with my angry judgmental polygonal old man eyes.

Sometimes people would simply get up and leave, but occasionally they'd ask me to go away, at which point I would pop out of stealth and deliver incredibly long-winded rants about morality and kids these days and in my day decent human folk didn't play Hide The Lance with no moon elf harlots and back then there weren't no weirdie space goats with squid faces, neither. This often got me dismissed as a troll and ignored, but every once in a while someone would keep futilely trying to get a word in edgewise, either because I'd made them angry or because they were psychotically committed to never ever breaking character from their busty immortal night elf level 50 sexhaver in an online game about murdering animals and making oversized pauldrons out of their bones.

It was a pretty entertaining way to kill an hour or two, particularly compared to most of the actual game content. Realizing that was just a small part of what led me to swear the game off for keeps.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Coolguye posted:

The catch is, people like that generally have lives outside of the game because they're not psychopaths, so they tend to get drowned out by the people who don't, because they are. Not everyone on an RP server is a frothing maniac, but the people who tend to be the loudest and most likely to talk to you tend to be.
I think that can be applied to pretty much any gamer/fanboy group in general.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Angry Diplomat posted:

3) Insane RP guilds full of people who would never even acknowledge your existence unless you had a specific UI plugin that let you view RP profiles and display your own, which was a daunting prospect because an alarming number of those profiles described Sephirothy half-demon destiny children with dragon ancestry or the illegitimate love-spawn of <Mad Libs two important characters in here> or Draenei hermaphrodites with melon-sized breasts and novelty-sized penises
Hahaha, FlagRSP. The day they gave the madhouse keys to the inmates. I think I managed to keep that installed for about an hour before my brain threatened to shut down the connection to my eyes and I had to turn it off.

quote:

old man eavesdropping
You've got more intestinal fortitude than I do and I applaud you for it.

Boru posted:

It's not quite so severe in most groups because most groups have something that binds them together. Yeah, the most annoying CounterStrike kiddies are also the loudest, but when you're playing a shooter everyone loves fragging a dude. When you open the net on roleplayers, you're pretty lucky to find 2 people who can agree on a god drat thing. Some people are all about sexhaving, others are all about being goofy, others love deep storytelling and intrigue, and every group thinks every other group is doing it wrong. It makes for some pretty fractious arguments, and after a couple of those people are so used to getting into it that there's no setting between off and high.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Boru posted:

Ain't that the truth. Nerds ruin everything, that'll never change.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I went the low effort route with RP trolls when I played WOW. I made the ugliest gnome I could to RP a beggar and constantly yelled about how poor I was and that I needed a gold to feed my seventeen starving gnome children. I made a series of macros that would say various things in yell and trade and just wandered around begging people for money constantly. Anyone who responded would get unending whispers about how my family had been driven out of gnomeregan and that four of my children were dead and I desperately needed money to pay for a back alley unlicensed undead priest to rez them.

People hated me, it was glorious.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

TheSpiritFox posted:

I went the low effort route with RP trolls when I played WOW. I made the ugliest gnome I could to RP a beggar and constantly yelled about how poor I was and that I needed a gold to feed my seventeen starving gnome children. I made a series of macros that would say various things in yell and trade and just wandered around begging people for money constantly. Anyone who responded would get unending whispers about how my family had been driven out of gnomeregan and that four of my children were dead and I desperately needed money to pay for a back alley unlicensed undead priest to rez them.

What's funny is you were playing a character as much as they were, ironically. But they still hated you for doing something new and amusing.

I actually played on RP servers when I was on WoW just to mess with the serious RPers and enjoy the occasional guy who ended up doing something like this poster or the guy above with his traveling undead merchants. My fondest memories of WoW were the one time I teamed up with a dwarf engineer on a whim to kill small forest animals with explosives "for science", as well as chucking them at passerbys and each other. It was basically the fantasy equivalent of "Jackass".

Only, some people will stop and lecture you about throwing fake internet bombs at their fake internet adventurers. So we drank liquor from our inventory to automatically slur our words and shouted insults at them, as well as tell them the importance of seeing what things explode how when you chuck a stick of dynamite at them.

Usually people left, but later we got a nightelf rogue with a flagRSP that was basically "here's a list about how i'm a badass". He stopped mid-berating to, no joke, start giving us instructions on how to "properly RP", step by step. So we were going to follow his steps.

Step one was basically him saying "nobody likes your character, come up with something interesting and write it in flagRSP". My new dwarf friend wrote some weird "ye olde english" thing that was absolutely incomprehensible because he was putting e's on the end of everything and I just wrote "It's a gnome. Oh and his parents are dead."

The nightelf, whom I forget the name of, basically said "Okay fine nobody is going to ever like you but lets move on to step 2". He then tried to tell us about "proper" emoting, which as some above posters put it is basically taking something simple and writing a goddamn novel about it. He made a big paragraph about a "heroic stance" he was doing with all his goofy stuff like gleaming daggers and hair blowing and wind and oh my god he's so awesome.

Instead we just told him about how it's not a very windy day and it's kinda cloudy so we think his daggers probably won't shine all that well. Also how many things has he killed with them? They must be getting pretty worn and dull, so they probably won't shine much!

The dwarf then basically asked that if he was a serious night elf roleplayer, why is he out in the daytime? We then questioned his status as an "RP PROFESSIONAL" and he ran away in shame.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I made a black haired human named IanMalcolm on an RP server and just ran around Stormwind shouting about dinosaurs and yelling at people to watch out for dinosaurs. About as low effort as you can get, but it seemed to rile up more people than it really should have.

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity

Macaluso posted:

I made a black haired human named IanMalcolm on an RP server and just ran around Stormwind shouting about dinosaurs and yelling at people to watch out for dinosaurs. About as low effort as you can get, but it seemed to rile up more people than it really should have.

This riled them up? That would be awesome to see.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
RP servers in WoW were easy to grief if you just went into the tunnels of that train or into that inn in the human newbie area and took screencaps of people having cybersex and posting them on the forums.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

I did something similar, I made a vibrantly pink haired gnome and pulled up a list of the cheesiest pickup lines I could find then hit up the RP taverns. I'd wander around the tables acting just as much like a sleazy, greasy rear end in a top hat as possible. It was low effort as all hell but "Serious" RPers really took offense when Tricksy the drunken gnome stumbled up and broke out some groan worthy line on the night elf vixen sharing the table with them.

Macaluso posted:

This could only be better if you made a hunter and had a pet raptor following you around the entire time.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Ran around for a couple of days on one of those servers myself, I was playing a paladin that basically spoke like a stereotypical surfer dude. "Hey man, totally gnarly mount, where could I, like, get one for myself bro?" poo poo like that angered people beyond comprehension.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Roleplayers are low hanging fruit. But that's not to say the low-hanging fruit isn't deliciously entertaining. You don't even have to say anything, just take the anime hair they added to WoW, name yourself ssjsephiroth and hang around town.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
On the RP rage stories, my boyfriend and I used to play on an RP server. One day we were really bored, so we went and farmed up some potions that turned us into walrus-men. We noticed that they looked sort of like Wilford Brimley, so we decided to do an RP where all we did was say various lines from his Liberty Medical commercials and emote as if we were having a real, serious conversation. Some "serious RPers" got mad at us for not doing it right.

There was also the time recently where we stumbled across some people RPing in one of the starting zones. We both took our clothes off, flew up as high as we could go, and then dismounted so we'd fall to our deaths in the middle of their RP scene. After 2-3 times they got really upset that two naked dudes were falling to their doom during their RP.

Some people really take RPing seriously v:shobon:v

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Pah. If they were really dedicated to RPing, they would've found a way to work the mysterious naked men from the sky into it :colbert:

"Why, Rhet, that's a lovely sword you've- *SPLAT* HOLY poo poo. Who is this? Who did this? Come, my friend! A mystery is afoot!"

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Has anyone posted about Hulkageddon ∞ yet? Its been a while since I played EVE, but I have RL friends bitching to me about this. Apparently, GoonSwarm held some sort of month-long event where they rewarded gankers with 100 million isk (in-game currency) for every 10 expensive mining ships they killed. They actually set up some sort of automatic utility to scrape the in-game killboards for data on who's been killing what, and they send out money to literally anyone that gets 10 dead Exhumer mining ships to their name (with payments for every batch of 10). There was all manner of bitching and complaints from people losing their super-expensive mining ships to suicide-ganks in the game's NPC-protected high-sec areas, but fortunately the event seemed to be drawing to a close. Until now, when Goonswarm announced that the event would be continuing indefinitely.

I don't even play EVE, but this is totally hilarious to me. GoonSwarm has set up some sort of automatic in-game quest (kill 10 Exhumers, get 100 million isk) to grief people in protected systems and otherwise gently caress over miners that were trying to insulate themselves from the game's PvP. And any random pirate can get paid for doing this without even applying for anything, thanks to the automatic killboard scraper. And after a month of torment, wailing and gnashing of teeth about killing EVE's manufacturing base and driving away newbies, they announce that they're going to keep doing this indefinitely.

Oh, GS is also apparently part of a cartel that controls the mineral that the mining ships are made out of, so every destroyed Exhumer ends up putting more money in their pocket when the miners replace it too.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Well, since we're onto this, let me tell you a story. Back in 2006, one of the City of Heroes goons got bored. Deciding that the current goon servers were momentarily dull, he went to the dedicated RP server (Virtue) and decided to troll the furry community. Thus was born...

THE FURSECUTION AGENTS

The idea was hopped on and soon enough there were dozens of goons in identical suits wandering around the server, finding random furry characters and confronting them about their 'illegal deviant behavior'. Nothing terribly bad, mostly just walking up to them, being vaguely MiB menacing about their chosen fetish, and following them around so they couldn't just walk out of the conversation. There was some good rage to be had.

quote:

fOR ALL THE poo poo rear end COWARD FUSRECTORS

You think that furries should be HATED????? You know whata? YOU ASSHLOES SHOULD Be HATED!! You know what, to evebody that posted on here about hatineg furries, I want your FIRST AND LAST NAMES AND ADDRES!! Ive got news for you cowards, you owe us quiet a bit of moneys. You have:

1. Caused people to QUIT PLAYING THE GAME. I know of at least one that caneceled her account and one that will not login until (he said) "the people that picked all on me are gone"
2. You have CAUSED PEOPEL TO sign OUT OF PLAYING. You nmaed them so upset that they were unable to contine playing that day
3. You have CAUSE EMOTIONSAL DISTRESS TO ALL. You are full of vile and disgusting acts and maeke the game not worth it. You casue distress and we can sue.
4. You are full of hate crimes and terrorist thoughts. They only awnant to bully and give people shits and your are cowards for that.

I watn your contact info becuse IM COMEING TO COLLECT. By my accounts you owe us right now several hundres of dollars JUST FOR GAME DOWNTIME.

Heres a list of loving ILLEGSL poo poo YOU COWRADS DID:
1. HAte crime agasint another race of people
2. In game TERRORISM you loving COWARDS
3. ROBBERY OF PEOPLES INGAME TIME
4. HARASSMENT OF PEOPLE
5. DEATH THRESTS OF PEOPLE

IVE GOT NEWS FOR YOU ASSHOLES YOULL BE IN loving PRISON WHEN I SHOW THESE TO A LAW ENFORCEMNT AND IVE GOT NEWS THAT NCSOFT HAS YOUR STUPID ASSES ON RECORDING AND CAN ENTER THAT IN loving CUORT YOU ASSHOLES.

When I get to your houses I am going to phisicly unplug and PISS ON YOUR COMPUTERS. Ive got news for you if you dont pay up well get lawyers and youll pay out the asss. Ive got news for you assholes Ive got SCREENSHOTS OF THE poo poo YOU DID TO ME AND OTHERS IN THE GAEM. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO SHOW YOUR KIDS AND WIFES AND YOUR BOSS TO. IVE GOT NEWS FOR YOU IF YOUR BOSS SEESFROM THOSE WHAT KIND OF SHITHEAD YOU ARE YOURE rear end IS FIRED!!!! ILL LUAGH AT YOUR BUM rear end IN THE GUTTER AND YOU WONT BE A loving "FURESECTOR" ANY MORE CAUSE YOULL BE loving HOMELESS YOU loving PIECE OF rear end poo poo.

And that was fun. But then people noticed it was December. Now, part of the City of Heroes thing is their holiday events. This was early on in the game's life, so they were a big deal. As part of the Christmas/Winter event, the devs opened up a wonderful place called the Ski Chalet.

There's a neutral place on the grid called Pocket D - it's a rather generic dance club that's abandoned on most servers. Not on Virtue. Oh no. There, it's packed as the central RP meeting ground and your go-to place for people standing in corners quietly having creepy text-sex in private chats. The Ski Chalet was an expansion to this with an icy ski slope and a big Swiss chalet building in the middle of it all. Super popular with the RP crowd - and that year one of the bigger forum superstars was holding a huge full-RP holiday party there.

Well, you damned well know the Fursecutors had to show up. And they did. More than two dozen of them in one room. And here's the best part - they did nothing. As a group they basically just stood around and emoted drinking eggnog. Nothing was said out of character. In fact, the entire group was very strictly in RP mode all night.

Unfortunately the hilarious screenshots from that night have been lost to time but the local RP community took such offense at them that it was a riot. Every furry or vaguely furry-like character in the room took it upon themselves to try and confront them; the host complained they were there to disrupt the event; they were repeatedly harassed about being bigots and racists and a dozen other things. And all the goons did was stand there and talk calmly, mostly among themselves. As a non-goon observer at the time? gently caress, it was hilarious to watch most of the RP community (and drat near every one of them was there) blow a collective gasket over the mere existence of someone.

I wish the screencaps survived, because it was glorious.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Coach Sport posted:

Oh, GS is also apparently part of a cartel that controls the mineral that the mining ships are made out of, so every destroyed Exhumer ends up putting more money in their pocket when the miners replace it too.

This is the best part of that story. I'm guessing they are making enough off of each sale to offset most/all of their bounty expenses?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SeaTard posted:

This is the best part of that story. I'm guessing they are making enough off of each sale to offset most/all of their bounty expenses?

They're actually raking in pretty massive profits off the whole deal.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

SeaTard posted:

According to a post in that thread:

quote:

As a rough (and conservative) estimate, I'd say that for every 100M they have to pay out, they earn 600M.

:aaa:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jabor posted:

Thats just brilliant.

For being so utterly boring to play EVE has the best modern griefing stories. I wish there was some compendium of all of the EVE scams/griefs/drama, its great fun to read about.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Thats some Milo Minderbender poo poo there. :drat:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tempest_56 posted:

Retarded, illiterate furries.

The best part of all that is that the angry furry was halfway between "I'm going to call the FBI, you're all totally going to prison!" and random angry jibberish.

He wanted reparations for what had happened, and cited vague legal concepts to back him up, but expected the people who griefed him to comply voluntarily. That's going to work out wonderfully. I'm pretty sure that was the main way people fought the hate crimes of the KKK back in the day. A strongly (and poorly) worded letter asking them to remove their masks and pay restitution out of the kindness of their hearts.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Tempest_56 posted:

Fursecution :furcry:

Many furry tears to be had. With the rise of bronydom, I'm waiting to get some stories of grieving them in here. Bronies have somehow managed to make themselves worse then furrys, even though in essence the idea is the same only more localized.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Holy crap, Goon Fleet is actually turning into the villain from an 80's comedy film. The only thing missing from the picture is a slicked back head of hair and shutting down some after school youth program so they can turn it into a parking lot for their yacht club.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Coach Sport posted:

Macaluso posted:

quote:

As a rough (and conservative) estimate, I'd say that for every 100M they have to pay out, they earn 600M.

I read up to the last paragraph of Coach Sport's post and thought "It's awesome that Goonswarm makes so much money that they can afford to throw it away on crazy silly stuff like this. But the fact that they profit from it drives it into evil genius territory. That has to be one of the best stories I've heard coming out of EVE.

Lyim_X
Oct 30, 2004
UO: Never underestimate blind greed.

Ultima Online's players were exceptionally greedy. Anything that was dropped on the ground was immediately scooped up regardless of value. People often made mistakes trying to trade items with another player and ended up having said item fall to the ground.

One interesting thing about the game was anything greater than 6 gold pieces just showed up as a standard gold pile. If someone dropped gold you wouldn't know if it was 6, 60, or 6 million gold. Naturally people went for gold piles pretty quick because it was a quick way to strike it rich. One evening some friends and I decided we'd take advantage of this quirk to see how many players we could follow someone vomiting up piles of 6 gold at a time out into the wilderness.

After spending 30 minutes at the East Brit bank gathering quite a following of people who were under the guise I was quitting the game and wanted to share my wealth with the poor denizens of the cesspool that was Britain. Piles of 6 gold coins were spending half-lives on the ground that would rival yet undiscovered elements. Nobody could really tell that I was dropping next to no money simply because it was impossible to click on it to determine it's value before it was picked off the ground and deposited into a backpack.

I continued to lay down small piles of gold and running out of town past the guard zone (Where someone could call for the guards that would kill someone in one swing), into the woods east of the town of Britain. After a couple minutes and a few people starting to run back to the safety of town we passed the house that several of my friends waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting folk trying to strike it big.

They jumped out and culled my small flock of loyal followers and made well over 10x what I dropped in gold that night.

We repeated this process several times to the same people, they would fall for it repeatedly night after night.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Angry Diplomat posted:

3) Insane RP guilds full of people who would never even acknowledge your existence unless you had a specific UI plugin that let you view RP profiles

rp plugin forum posted:

There are griefers who use this addon on my server;

What they do is they practically post an entire song, or put quotes, or just random garble as their title and therefore the hover-over tooltip that shows up covers the entire bottom half of your screen. It covers the hotkeys, the chatbox

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

i am tim! posted:

Holy crap, Goon Fleet is actually turning into the villain from an 80's comedy film. The only thing missing from the picture is a slicked back head of hair and shutting down some after school youth program so they can turn it into a parking lot for their yacht club.
If you could do that in-game I'm sure the Mittani would be working on it. :allears:

Pakled posted:

I read up to the last paragraph of Coach Sport's post and thought "It's awesome that Goonswarm makes so much money that they can afford to throw it away on crazy silly stuff like this. But the fact that they profit from it drives it into evil genius territory. That has to be one of the best stories I've heard coming out of EVE.
I'm guessing Hulkageddons 1-4 didn't actually generate profit like V did.

Which is why V has been immediately followed up with Infinity.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jabor posted:

What about the gankers? If somebody is losing a ship per gank, surely that can't be profitable?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

AlsoD posted:

What about the gankers? If somebody is losing a ship per gank, surely that can't be profitable?

I was reading through the linked thread and someone mentioned that a destroyer worked great for ganking. I haven't played for a few years now, but back then a fitted destroyer would only run you a few million ISK.

So you have to bankroll the first 10 kills out of pocket but once you get that 100m bounty you're golden.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
I think the idea is that the ships they're ganking with are pretty cheap, so they can easily afford to lose them thanks to the bounty payouts. I understand that most miners in hi-sec are either AFK or dumb as all hell, so gankers don't have to work too hard to pierce the paper thin hull of their ships. Take this guy for instance: Lost a 300 million isk mining ship and 1.9 billion isk of implants on his character, which is some pretty serious badplaying. Of course, he's accusing GoonSwarm of violating the EULA.

If you read the thread, you'll realize he was basically flying around without putting any armor on his ship while using a hard to replace clone loaded with implants as the pilot. During the hulkageddon event specifically about killing his class of ship. Not to mention that he apparently got podded too, which basically means his ship's ejector seat with the pilot in it got blown up losing him his clone and his implants. This is notable because pods can warp to safety pretty much instantly, not to mention his ship could've done the same thing if he had enough armor on it and was careful to pre-align it towards a getaway point before he actually started mining.

It's also worth mentioning that there are a good half-dozen similar threads on the front page of EVE's general discussion forum complaining about players from lawless low-sec areas waging war on people in hi-sec areas that thought they were safe from being randomly killed. I don't even play EVE anymore and its still fun to read.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I love how that guy devotes a whole paragraph to his IRL accomplishments or whatever as if any of that mattered at all.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

This is probably the best-executed mass grief I've ever seen, holy poo poo. The concept alone is amusing, but the fact that it's fully automated and anyone can participate just drives it over the top. Anyone happen to know how much an Exhumer costs?

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 31, 2012

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

bucketmouse posted:

This is probably the best-executed mass grief I've ever seen, holy poo poo. The concept alone is amusing, but the fact that it's fully automated and anyone can participate just drives it over the top. Anyone happen to know how an Exhumer costs?

I'm guessing since OTEC owns all (almost all?) of the Technetium (used to make these Exhumers), that price is just going up, up, up! :allears:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Tsurupettan posted:

I'm guessing since OTEC owns all (almost all?) of the Technetium (used to make these Exhumers), that price is just going up, up, up! :allears:

Not all, but they control so much that from what I hear they dictate like 80% of the market at this point. It's not all ownership, it's a cartel amongst them and their allies, but without a space SEC there's no way to stop price fixing.

From what I heard when I was playing the goon warchest is practically bottomless. I tried to get into moon goo before I quit and I think it was vilerat who started talking me through the basics and told me that the goon tech moons make goonswarm more than 40 billion isk per day. That was over a year ago, and that's only the alliance owned moons, there are other people in GF with their own moons and there are plenty of other revenue streams because everyone needs their own money to throw around.

I have no idea the actual numbers but if goonfleet as a whole didn't have more than ten times the aggregate resources of the next three richest alliances I'd be amazed.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
I'm a stupid moron who posts in wrong threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yep. Evidently Goonswarm is the only major alliance that doesn't have horrendous amounts of embezzlement going on among the leadership.

• Locked thread