Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

ExecuDork posted:

Also, tires. My current tires are all-seasons apparently designed for endurance on long smooth highways, hence they have no grip and I'm probably melting them all over the parking lot. When they inevitably fail, I'll be looking for something that I suspect might be impossible.
- decent grip (not spectacular, just not terrible) for auto-X
- all-weather capability (I have winter tires for winter, but anything from rain to early-winter sloppy wet snowfall)
- not going to get shredded on a gravel road.

That's an impossible combination, isn't it?

Star spec or S.Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Star Specs are definitely not all weather tires. :)

I can't suggest an all-season tire from experience. Hankook apparently makes a few all-season Ventuses though. I took a Hankook low-rolling-resistance "fuel max" tire out on autocross a few times and it basically just screams the entire time while making sad looking grease spots on the tarmac. My OEM RE92s fared a little better but also gave up pretty early into the day.

edit: Whoops, saw "all-season" and forgot you actually do have separate winter tires.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 30, 2012

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I drove 20 miles or so through fresh snow on Azenis 615s and somehow didn't die. In fact I'm kind of proud of myself for making it up a long incline by slowly building speed before I got to the peak (the tires still slipped some so it's good I wasn't going any slower) and then managing to go down a longish twisty decline in first gear without dying.

It's a mixture of horror and pride when I think back to that day :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
S.drives are terrible. Get Star Specs.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Phone posted:

S.drives are terrible. Get Star Specs.

The S.Drives aren't bad for street tires and work well in all conditions, but they're very average. Autocross highlights all of their faults pretty goddamn well and you'll find yourself held back by the tires a lot if you can drive at all. DZ101s are a better autox tire from what I've seen.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh yeah, definitely. In an autocross situation, they're way too floppy and don't communicate at all. However, I would prefer S.drives on my car versus Linglongs and whatever else passes for a "budget" tire on the road.

That said, I have been impressed with the Star Specs as an overall good performance tire. It isn't the fastest in any one category, but it's competent throughout all driving conditions that aren't 40F or lower. E.g.: I know that there's a Continental tire that is fantastic in the wet, the Star Specs do pretty well (even when mounted the wrong way :suicide: ), and the Falken Azenis are downright terrifying.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

Falken Azenis are downright terrifying.

Huh. I excelled in the rain with my Azenis. I can't wait to see what these Star Specs can do in the rain.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
S.Drives are a good balance, but don't excel in any one particular area, which sort of fits the bill, since each ExecuDork wants balance between many different conflicting areas. I'd recommend Falken 512s, except they tend to get chewed up in Autox

Brigdh fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 30, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The video I posted earlier was on Falken 512s. I found them fairly loose on the Miata.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Brigdh posted:

S.Drives are a good balance, but don't excel in any one particular area, which sort of fits the bill, since each ExecuDork wants balance between many different conflicting areas. I'd recommend Falken 512s, except they tend to get chewed up in Autox

What about Hankook V12 Ventus? I've only seen one car with them but they were faster than my S.drives in the wet and also felt like they had better handling characteristics.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

What about Hankook V12 Ventus? I've only seen one car with them but they were faster than my S.drives in the wet and also felt like they had better handling characteristics.

Never tried em, nor do I know of anyone who has. Sorry

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Brigdh posted:

Muffinpox posted:

A "good balance" or "jack of all trades, master of none" is really what I'm looking for. I don't have space to store more than one set of tires, and that space is already taken up by my winters. Something good down to 40 F would work, I think, if they were reasonably useful in rain, on gravel, on rain-covered gravel, and don't leave big smears all over during auto-x.

If I had the space (and money) I'd get R-compounds of some kind for auto-x use and run boring tires for my day-to-day foolishness. But no room and not really a budget for that.

Tirerack is saying about $400 for 4 of either the S.drives or the V12 Ventus, plus about $135 in shipping (I'm in Canada, the cold flat bit in the middle). Not bad. The Star Specs are more, about $550 (plus shipping) for the set of 4.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Sometimes it's worth it buying local when you are talking about:
+ $135 shipping
+ ~$60 mount and balance
+ tax

And then you have a warranty locally for issues.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I order my tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to the Montana Shipping Outlet warehouse to hold them until I can boogie down to the border and bring them across. It's not that bad of a drive from Southern Alberta and it saves a lot of money even after the gas & time (especially considering UPS charges bullshit brokerage fees). While I'm there I also get to read Ronald Reagan quotes and check out posters about how great Montana is.

Not sure if there's a similar service along your border but I wouldn't be surprised.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 31, 2012

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiYBCdz4qCE&feature=plcp

My 2nd fastest run from Saturday, anyone have any tips from the video?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I order my tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to the Montana Shipping Outlet warehouse to hold them until I can boogie down to the border and bring them across. It's not that bad of a drive from Southern Alberta and it saves a lot of money even after the gas & time (especially considering UPS charges bullshit brokerage fees). While I'm there I also get to read Ronald Reagan quotes and check out posters about how great Montana is.

Not sure if there's a similar service along your border but I wouldn't be surprised.

Even if you aren't near the border, tirerack is almost always cheaper with shipping + duty, which they tell you up front. My star specs were ~1350 from tirerack as opposed to 1450 from tiretrends or 1500 from 1010tires.

I actually just put ventus V12s on my e36, I have one trackday on them and a bit of highway miles. They seem like decent jack of all trades tires. Highway noise is minimal and ride seems good. Track day was hard to judge as they literally had 50km on them when I got there. They didn't seem to mind being pushed but I wouldn't say they are spectacular.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiYBCdz4qCE&feature=plcp

My 2nd fastest run from Saturday, anyone have any tips from the video?

The only way there should be that much room between you and an apex cone is if you're dancing with it during the high school prom.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Crustashio posted:

Even if you aren't near the border, tirerack is almost always cheaper with shipping + duty, which they tell you up front. My star specs were ~1350 from tirerack as opposed to 1450 from tiretrends or 1500 from 1010tires.

I actually just put ventus V12s on my e36, I have one trackday on them and a bit of highway miles. They seem like decent jack of all trades tires. Highway noise is minimal and ride seems good. Track day was hard to judge as they literally had 50km on them when I got there. They didn't seem to mind being pushed but I wouldn't say they are spectacular.
Yanqui-land is about a 6 hour drive (to anyplace with human inhabitants, this is North Dakota or eastern Montana) from here in Saskatoon. I was mostly looking at the prices to get an idea of how the different suggestions compared, I have 3 tire shops within less than 1 km of my apartment here that I'll talk to first.

It's great to hear your experiences with the Ventus, Crustashio, especially considering how similar our cars are.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=115-w-ObNvM

I decided to get creative with my face shield.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Star Specs are definitely not all weather tires. :)

Khumo V710's. The best all weather tires.* :q:

*for Phoenix

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

Khumo V710's. The best all weather tires.* :q:

*for Phoenix

A couple ST* guys here in Colorado run Star Specs year round, but if v710s are anything like Hoosier A6s, standing water will kill you.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

The only way there should be that much room between you and an apex cone is if you're dancing with it during the high school prom.

:blush: which ones specifically?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

:blush: which ones specifically?

It's a bit hard to tell from your onboard cam being on one side since a lot of which cone to stay tight on is dependent on the next cones coming up and I can't see the right side of your car. Pretty much in any corner there is one cone that will be the last one that affects your turn so you want to make that the cone you get tight in on. You also want to be looking a good corner or two ahead all the time.

You need to be closer to the cone at 7 seconds, 17 seconds (looks like you can run wider at the exit too), 21 seconds, and 23 seconds. The cone at 33 seconds looks like it is the one you want to be tight on and then run wider off the cone at 36 seconds to the next one. At 42 seconds it looks like you should be apexing on that cone and turning right almost immediately after crossing it.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 31, 2012

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It also sounds like you do a ton of coasting.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Phone posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. In an autocross situation, they're way too floppy and don't communicate at all. However, I would prefer S.drives on my car versus Linglongs and whatever else passes for a "budget" tire on the road.

That said, I have been impressed with the Star Specs as an overall good performance tire. It isn't the fastest in any one category, but it's competent throughout all driving conditions that aren't 40F or lower. E.g.: I know that there's a Continental tire that is fantastic in the wet, the Star Specs do pretty well (even when mounted the wrong way :suicide: ), and the Falken Azenis are downright terrifying.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

It's a bit hard to tell from your onboard cam being on one side since a lot of which cone to stay tight on is dependent on the next cones coming up and I can't see the right side of your car. Pretty much in any corner there is one cone that will be the last one that affects your turn so you want to make that the cone you get tight in on. You also want to be looking a good corner or two ahead all the time.

You need to be closer to the cone at 7 seconds, 17 seconds (looks like you can run wider at the exit too), 21 seconds, and 23 seconds. The cone at 33 seconds looks like it is the one you want to be tight on and then run wider off the cone at 36 seconds to the next one. At 42 seconds it looks like you should be apexing on that cone and turning right almost immediately after crossing it.

Thanks for the breakdown - I see a bit more what you mean now. I know I was definitely focusing on clean runs that day, as we only got 4 runs in our own car and 1 in the fr-s, but I need to be closer.

FatCow posted:

It also sounds like you do a ton of coasting.

Definitely more than I should, I'm attempting to grow my balls as well as get used to the difference in the grip I have available with the star specs compared to 9 year old Chinese all seasons that would snap oversteer at the hint of anything aggressive.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Brigdh posted:

A couple ST* guys here in Colorado run Star Specs year round, but if v710s are anything like Hoosier A6s, standing water will kill you.

I'll just state for the record that I was joking, since V710s (which are very much like A6's) wouldn't last very long doing daily driving.

In other news, we don't see much standing water in Phoenix, so Star Spec's or RS3's are just fine for daily drivers if you don't mind replacing tires fairly often.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Mustang owners of America UNITE!

Going to my first Autocross this weekend so I thought I should come up with a clever slogan to put on the side of my car. I also wonder how the stock tires will hold up to the stress...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Rabble posted:

Mustang owners of America UNITE!

Going to my first Autocross this weekend so I thought I should come up with a clever slogan to put on the side of my car. I also wonder how the stock tires will hold up to the stress...

Pressure the poo poo out of them and prepare for a howling good time. Also, expect a bit of understeer on initial turn in as most stock street tires aren't ready for the kind of maneuvers you'll be doing.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

Pressure the poo poo out of them and prepare for a howling good time. Also, expect a bit of understeer on initial turn in as most stock street tires aren't ready for the kind of maneuvers you'll be doing.

Fun times were had by all. The stock tires weren't that bad.

edit: but I sure did make them scream. Didn't turn off traction control because it was my first time and i could feel it kicking in on my last run (where I went balls to the wall). The car on stock street suspension may not have been as communicative as I would have liked, but the tires definitely told you when they were about to go.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 4, 2012

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Had a great day today up in Ottawa, first time AutoX'ing in the pouring rain. Tonnes of fun, learned a lot, and things started clicking near the end of the day. Things I learned:

1) Don't fight the car.
2) Don't fight the car means when it starts to push, don't crank the wheel even more, idiot. If you straighten up slightly and give it a touch of gas it'll grab and the back will rotate around nicely.
3) I'm amazed by the amount of grip start specs have in the wet.
4) It's entirely possible to drive home in the pouring rain with the top down and not get wet.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Things I learned today:

1) A brabus smart car with Rcomps should not be allowed anywhere near autoX. Dude nearly rolled it on the long sweeper where I was working. At least 6" off the ground on the inside.

2) It is possible for someone to enter the stop box completely backwards, not destroy the timing equipment or hit any cones inside the box.

Also got my first autoX experience with the Ventus V12s today. Overall I found them kind of numb - hard to tell when I was pushing too hard. I did play with the pressures a bit, and found that the fronts needed to be ~2psi lower than the rears to get rid of understeer. That will probably be my last time with the E36, I get star specs for my e46 this week.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 4, 2012

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I had a good day autocrossing today too. Got 3rd raw time overall and 2nd for pax overall. There were only about 25-30 people out and we got 9 runs in. Lots of good driving going on. 3rd, 4th and 5th place raw times were all within .02 of each other. Rained in the morning but dried up quickly and turned into a decent cloudy day. My e36 M3 (on star specs) did good today, although the front suspension is dying. Gotta get under there and look tomorrow to see what's up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Things I learned today:

1) A brabus smart car with Rcomps should not be allowed anywhere near autoX. Dude nearly rolled it on the long sweeper where I was working. At least 6" off the ground on the inside.

If this was an SCCA event, that car should not have been allowed to run at all.

The Smart has a Static Stability Rating of 1.16, which is WAY below the minimum 1.30 allowed in SCCA rules.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is there a page listing SSF (as it seems to abbreviate when I google) for most cars?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

The Locator posted:

If this was an SCCA event, that car should not have been allowed to run at all.

The Smart has a Static Stability Rating of 1.16, which is WAY below the minimum 1.30 allowed in SCCA rules.

Canada. We switched to the scca rulebook here last year but I don't think all of the organizing clubs are really well versed in it yet. Yesterday they were telling us we can blow the rear stop box coned as those aren't a time penalty, but I always though overshooting the box was a DNF.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I thought it was too.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Is there a page listing SSF (as it seems to abbreviate when I google) for most cars?

Not that I've seen. The most comprehensive source is NHSTA, and they've moved away from straight SSF numbers

Crustashio posted:

Canada. We switched to the scca rulebook here last year but I don't think all of the organizing clubs are really well versed in it yet. Yesterday they were telling us we can blow the rear stop box coned as those aren't a time penalty, but I always though overshooting the box was a DNF.

Any cone anywhere (hell even in grid) is a penalty. Going out of the stop box and not reentering where you left is a DNF, although most corner captains I know won't call it in because the 7+ cone penalty you got in the process will already kill the run.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The group in Toronto does a 2sec penalty for stop box cones, but if you hit the last cone in the box it's a DNF.

Ottawa club does a slow down box rather than a stop box, but so much as nudge any of the stop box cones and it's a DNF. I prefer this way honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the stop box has always been "DO NOT TOUCH THESE CONES UNDER PAIN OF DEATH" to me, in an effort to keep people from overdriving to get into it.

• Locked thread