Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Duck Typing Of The Dead snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

homercles posted:

programming language thread

not the compsci undergraduate circlejerk thread

oh what am i talking about carry on

thanks I wasn't aware of that thread

post your favourite idiocy

duck monster posted:

CI is purely for reassuring blinkenlights for nervous clients, as far as I'm concerned.

shrughes posted:

You should make sure one of those electives is "Math Analysis" or "Real Analysis" or "Analysis" -- whatever is the first "analysis" course that all math majors have to take at your school. It's probably the course math majors are expected to take after whatever "proofs" is.

lonters run around posted:

I'm pretty good at math and I'm good at making like algorithms. I helped some project by making methods for compressing and decompressing video, and I've made a pong clone in low level C to run on a Xilinx Spartan FPGA (including keyboard and VGA output drivers), I know how x86 works with all the registers and logic... but I have no idea how to make for example an app on my Android smartphone, or anything beyond a text-based app on a PC. How would I begin learning things like that? I know there's something called libraries...?

those are just from the last page

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Internaut! posted:

those are just from the last page

tbh i think a lot of people would actually benefit by taking basic real analysis. definitely if you do any numerical stuff. plus the cantor set is cool as poo poo

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internaut! posted:

thanks I wasn't aware of that thread

post your favourite idiocy

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444008&userid=55968

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Beef is a strange kind of stupid

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

i already made a thread about it numbnuts

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Oh no, the threads are no longer normalized....

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Wheany posted:

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wheany posted:

this is why we can't have search great job aaah spiders

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Ridgely_Fan posted:

tbh i think a lot of people would actually benefit by taking basic real analysis. definitely if you do any numerical stuff. plus the cantor set is cool as poo poo

eh I don't think there's such a thing as basic analysis though, and in the context of a cs undergrad where students mostly take intro calc and a smattering of discrete math it would be a rough go

maybe there's a good book on analysis for cs undergrads course out there but I did one of the standard books in my class (royden iirc) and it definitely wasn't it

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
numerical analysis was a required class for my cs degree and teh average cumulative mark was 45%

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Internaut! posted:

eh I don't think there's such a thing as basic analysis though, and in the context of a cs undergrad where students mostly take intro calc and a smattering of discrete math it would be a rough go

maybe there's a good book on analysis for cs undergrads course out there but I did one of the standard books in my class (royden iirc) and it definitely wasn't it

most of the cs people i know took full engineering calc loads (I II III), diff eq, real analysis, number theory, etc. in their undergrad

none of them remember any of it now tho

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
that's stuff wasn't required for cs at all at my uni but I started as a physics major as well so I took through diff eq anyway.

I don't remember a lot of how to do diff eq, but I did calc for long enough (learned it in HS first) that I still remember it.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I deffo don't remember ANYTHING about solving pde's.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i remember the pde stuff that was basically breaking stuff down to fourier components after separation of variables, but i would have a hard time solving an ode by hand

irl if i got asked to analyze a system of differential equations i would immediately go to graphical methods

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i think i remember how to find the derivative of a polynomial equation but that's it

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Ridgely_Fan posted:

i remember the pde stuff that was basically breaking stuff down to fourier components after separation of variables, but i would have a hard time solving an ode by hand

irl if i got asked to analyze a system of differential equations i would immediately go to graphical methods

yea I remember being taught a bunch of techniques to analytically solve certain classes of ODEs by hand and I don't remember any of them and probably wouldn't have used them much anyway. THat class was neat though, also taught numerical analysis and ~computer~ methods.

oh yea also since you mentioned fourier there is the laplace transform I might be able to remember that if I looked some stuff up about it.

I do remember what the fourier transform is, if not how to do it analytically, because it's super useful.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
fourier transform is useful as all hell

i think ive learned it separately like 5 times. in pdes, for signal processing / wavelets, in real analysis (the graduate one), in a data course (useful because it also went over sampling issues and windowing functions). theres probably one more

ive been in school a long drat time is what im sayin

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ronald Raiden posted:

I deffo don't remember ANYTHING about solving pde's.

i took a couple classes on pdes and they were loving awful and in the end it was a punt because the class of pdes you can actually solve compared to the class you can't is empty and the answer is always "numerically approximate it using these interesting algorithms" and so i took some numerical analysis classes that were rad as hell

basically diff eq classes are the math dept trolling you

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

basically diff eq classes are the math dept trolling you

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

pdes aren't for solving, they're for classifying the bifurcations of.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
calculus is terrible but you need to earn the right to say so

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
numerical solutions of equations is dumb and boring. solve problems analytically every day

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Hammerite posted:

numerical solutions of equations is dumb and boring. solve problems analytically every day

yeah! jam that meme in there

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ahhh spiders posted:

blimey, ive been rumbled !!!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

ahhh spiders posted:

gently caress that butt real good

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Hammerite posted:

ah the 'if there isn't a solution make up a function that solves it exactly' approach

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Rufo posted:

ive found the #1 way to spot an engineering dropout is when someone rants about how useless calculus is

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

maths is neat i use a math pretty much every day

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

CaptainMeatpants posted:

maths is neat i use a math pretty much every day

carb counting doesnt count as maths

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i does when you eat as much bread as i do

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i does when you eat as much bread as i do
Complex numbers

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Rufo posted:

I kind of actually think calculus is pretty rad and useful even though I don't use it in what I do anymore :frogbon:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Ronald Raiden posted:

I kind of actually think calculus is pretty rad and useful even though I don't use it in what I do anymore :frogbon:

I never used it after school :(

Really liked Cal 3 and Diff Eq, fun stuff.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

MEAT TREAT posted:

i hated calculus it was the only subject that got in the way of my drinking.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

bob arctor posted:

i hated calculus it was the only subject that got in the way of my drinking.

a mathematician walks into a bar, he orders a beer. Another mathematician walks in, he orders half a beer. Another one walks in, orders a quarter beer. Another one, and Eighth of a beer. The bartender says gently caress you and pours 2 beers.

the moral of the story is that mathematician jokes aren't funny + if infinity mathematicians come into your bar and order 2 drinks total they are assholes and also you probably exceeded the occupancy limit of the bar and the fire dept will get pissed.

Also they probably drink a lot more than that.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
unless they tip well, like if you get a dollar per drink, regardless of drink size, that's infinity dollers, and only the federal reserve has that much.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

MEAT TREAT posted:

yeah me too. also the advanced circuits classes that used that stuff frequently

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Rufo posted:

without calculus you wouldn't even be able to post right now

makes u think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you know how to powershift a manual transmission, congratulations, you're integrating functions and fuckin' with derivatives and poo poo