Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Carbs work on those bikes is a real pain in the rear end. If you're willing to take that on or willing to pay someone to have it done, then it might be worth it. Depending on the condition of the consumables, it might be a decent deal. If you're not mechanically inclined, I'd spend a little more up front for something that's already running. Otherwise you're probably going to spend another 500-1000$ on getting the carbs cleaned, brake fluid flushed, tires replaced, and possibly the chain and sprockets done.

Plus some years and models of the earlier V4s had top end oiling issues, not sure if that year was one of them.

There is also likely something wrong with your 250 if you couldn't get it over 40mph, even in heavy wind. If you'd like, drop me a PM or something and I might be able to take a quick look at it for anything seriously wrong.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jessican
Jul 28, 2005

I enjoy wrenching, but the 250 took a bunch of work to get running and I'd like one that needs minimal work this time. I don't mind spending a little more up front - I'd like something sportier (I don't like the riding position of the Nighthawk), and maybe 400-500cc, and small for commuting/lane splitting purposes, but I can't seem to find anything that's ready to ride for $2k-ish.

I'll drop you a PM about the 250. Thanks!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I would not buy that VF500 - known for being not good bikes.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

n8r posted:

I would not buy that VF500 - known for being not good bikes.

Oh man, I loved my old VF500. The TRAC antidive stuff is a pain but otherwise it's a really cool bike.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I want to get a bike, but I've never ridden before. I will be going through training because I need it so I'm not an ignorant fool while on a bike, but also because this is Florida, and because it's required.
That said, I am selling my car since I no longer need a vehicle, but I would like a bike. I am not interested in anything specific really, just something I can ride when I want. I'm also trying to see how realistic it is to take a 1200+ mile trip up north for my buddy's wedding in September. I listed my car on craigslist and got a 'trade' offer.

quote:

Its a 1980 yamaha XS850 three cylinder its got 37000 miles on it, it runs strong carbs we're just cleaned, calipers were just rebuilt, and all the fluids flushed.

Then sent these pics

It looks good enough to me, but then again I'm not familiar with motorcycles at all. The bike itself I hear is good for beginners, but since its old reliability comes up. Again, this wouldn't be a main vehicle, it would be used maybe once a week or less, besides the fantasy trip I have in my head. The car for trade in question is a 82 Toyota Tercel which I am asking 1700 for, but would take 1500. He is offering the bike plus 300 bucks cash.

Is this a bad idea? Too many miles? Should I stick with my 4 wheels because Florida is a motorcycle deathtrap?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jessican posted:

Considering checking out this bike:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/3040470867.html

Good deal, or no?

I'd pass. It'd be tempting in good running order because the engine is peppy and sounds great, and the Interceptor 500 is supposed to handle really well, but as z3n mentioned carb work on that engine is kind of a nightmare; I know it from recent experience resurrecting a '84 VF500C.

KakerMix posted:

I want to get a bike, but I've never ridden before.

Then sent these pics

Is this a bad idea? Too many miles? Should I stick with my 4 wheels because Florida is a motorcycle deathtrap?

Those are bikes for tinkerers. If you want something you just need to keep oil and gas in to enjoy, it's going to be more of a handful than you want. The electrics on those bikes are notoriously flaky. Also even though my first bike was a XS750, I wouldn't recommend one of those old triples as an ideal first ride - they're tall and awkwardly-weighted. I consider myself lucky for having not dropped it.

That said, they're fun as hell to ride as long as you can endure all the frightening mechanical noises it makes :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

clutchpuck posted:

Those are bikes for tinkerers. If you want something you just need to keep oil and gas in to enjoy, it's going to be more of a handful than you want. The electrics on those bikes are notoriously flaky. Also even though my first bike was a XS750, I wouldn't recommend one of those old triples as an ideal first ride - they're tall and awkwardly-weighted. I consider myself lucky for having not dropped it.

That said, they're fun as hell to ride as long as you can endure all the frightening mechanical noises it makes :)

Took your advice, passed on the deal. Thank you very much for the advice. I don't suppose you have a recommendation for a bike that is similar-esque? Stylistically I liked the XS 850 a lot, and I'm not interested in sports bikes at all really. Just a nice cruiser that won't kill me (as easily) and that's relatively reliable. I'm a sucker for older stuff but that isn't a requirement.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Similar models to the XS triples are pretty easy to find.

Honda: CB models - 550, 650, 750 and stuff... some of them are called Nighthawks
Yamaha: Seca, Maxim
Suzuki: GS models - 500, 550, 650, 850 and stuff, Bandit
Kawasaki: KZ models - 400, 550, 650, 750 and stuff

a '90s GS500 would be a pretty great starter bike but it's a little more modern looking than an ol' triple.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Well I am at quite a crossroad at this moment, one one hand I still want an SV650 but they are loving expensive in new england. The guy with the inexpensive first 01 SV isn't replying to my email and the only somewhat decently priced bike is this 2003 SV with 9k miles, yoshimura slip-on, new tires and the service manual.

On the other hand I could do like a good republican, flip-flop around the thing and get this 1979 GS550 with 17k miles. It look OK I guess and the biggest problem is that I don't have a garage, so I can't readily tool with it in case the old bitch gets cranky.

ALSO CAPS.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

ElMaligno posted:

Well I am at quite a crossroad at this moment, one one hand I still want an SV650 but they are loving expensive in new england. The guy with the inexpensive first 01 SV isn't replying to my email and the only somewhat decently priced bike is this 2003 SV with 9k miles, yoshimura slip-on, new tires and the service manual.

On the other hand I could do like a good republican, flip-flop around the thing and get this 1979 GS550 with 17k miles. It look OK I guess and the biggest problem is that I don't have a garage, so I can't readily tool with it in case the old bitch gets cranky.

ALSO CAPS.

"Will pass inspection NH Inspection" is craiglist code for "I think it might pass inspection....but if I was certain I'd get it inspected and charge extra $$ for it" Doubly so when the post is typed in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I looked at a Tuono Factory today, real cool older seller, he also had a vstrom-650 and brand new hypermotard S in his garage. He let me take a quick ride on the Tuono, it's loving awesome, took me about 100 feet to get used to the riding position since I arrived on a GSX-R 1000 and rode it about 170 miles that same day. Sounds amazing, it was easy to ride, the Ohlins suspension feels really good. Sit surprisingly close to the handle bars so there is tons of leverage and feels really light too, not sure on the exact dry/wet weight on these but it feels lighter than my VFR and maybe a little heavier than the 636. It pretty much has every aftermarket bit you'd want on it.

I told him i'd pick it up next week.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

This may or may not drive you crazy, but I couldn't stand the gold frame and the silver colored swingarm.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Bloody Queef posted:

"Will pass inspection NH Inspection" is craiglist code for "I think it might pass inspection....but if I was certain I'd get it inspected and charge extra $$ for it" Doubly so when the post is typed in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS

Eh, I will go check it out and see if its worth my money, all $900 of it. :colbert:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

infraboy posted:

I looked at a Tuono Factory today,

I told him i'd pick it up next week.

Another joins the shambling hordes of the Tuono army! Resistance is futile (etc etc)! Prepare the explanations you will give to the nice officer for your behaviour.

Weight should be around 200kg wet. Things to consider:

i) if you do much town riding and find the clutch too heavy, there are 2 or 3 options for an aftermarket clutch slave, including Oberon Performance and the fancy version by a German firm called MPL.

ii) larger/better batteries and battery tenders are popular, as popular opinion says the bikes are hard on batteries and also do scary things when they're low. On the Mk 1 Tuono a larger, generic YTX14 fits under the seat, but you have to lose the battery clamp. Not sure about the Mk 2's seat though. Or there are the fancy battery options. Mine also has a quick-connector under the seat for a battery charger, and I hook it up whenever it goes back in the garage.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Bike started up without a fuss, the clutch felt good and wasn't heavy feeling at all. Fluid looked a bit dark but I have a vacuum pump should be a 10 minute job to bleed.

I was actually at Evolution Suspension in south bay area getting the suspension dialed in for me on the gsx-r 1k and they had another Tuono there... non factory but they let me sit on it and the clutch was super heavy.

I've learned good throttle control after riding the gsx-r 1k a while, I'm starting to understand the differences in the way they deliver power, but the gsx-r has great power all over it's revband as well.

Edit: I also explained recently to a California Highway patrol that my VFR wasn't a super sport bike, he was semi convinced when I told him it was heavy and "only" ~100hp and was a sport tourer by showing him the riding position. He let me go with a warning.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 30, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infraboy posted:

Edit: I also explained recently to a California Highway patrol that my VFR wasn't a super sport bike, he was semi convinced when I told him it was heavy and "only" ~100hp and was a sport tourer by showing him the riding position. He let me go with a warning.

Why should that matter, exactly? "I'd give you a ticket for whatever you were doing if it was on a supersport, but not if you were doing the same thing on a Harley"? Uh...

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

(click picture)
Remember all those months ago when I got bit by the motorcycle bug and wanted to buy an old Suzuki GS? And also how I changed my mind and wanted a more modern bike? Well apparently I am full of poo poo and I am going to see the bike above tomorrow afternoon.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ElMaligno posted:

(click picture)
Remember all those months ago when I got bit by the motorcycle bug and wanted to buy an old Suzuki GS? And also how I changed my mind and wanted a more modern bike? Well apparently I am full of poo poo and I am going to see the bike above tomorrow afternoon.

You and splitzwarf can be GS buddies:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3487556

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Unlike him I don't want a project bike, I want a motorcycle. And that GS650 looks good enough to ride and maintain for a while. poo poo, if its GOOD enough I may as well keep it and just ride it forever and ever.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I wanna punch whomever flat blacked that thing. :-) That said, it's complete, so you can actually make something pretty of it again. Mmmm Suzuki GS's.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

infraboy posted:

Tuono stuff
I have such a major boner for that bike. How much are you getting it for if you don't mind me asking?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Bloody Queef posted:

I have such a major boner for that bike. How much are you getting it for if you don't mind me asking?

Heres the bike: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3040781759.html

Hes taking 7300 for it though when I asked if he was firm on his original price, he said it needs tires fairly soon, I already took a look at them and the rear is maybe 50-60% and the front is looks around 80% if that, they're sticky pirelli diablo corsas though so no idea how long they'll last. It has all the aftermarket bits I could think of adding to it and it needs nothing, odo was at just under 9600 miles.

It's a good chunk of money, the most of i've spent on a bike so far, but yeah it's the worth it for the Factory, KTM superdukes are going for 7-8k used regardless of mileage around here and heres a few non-factory tuonos.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/3039249449.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3009792758.html

I'm done buying bikes for a while, I can't imagine selling anything I currently have. I do need some new boots though.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Yeah, it's pretty hard to get your hands on a Factory model from what I've seen searching. I have to finally pass all the parts of my CPA exam before I get another bike, but that's the one in my cross hairs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I just traded out my Falco for a 2000.5 RSVR - couldn't resist the full ohlins bling.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

n8r posted:

I just traded out my Falco for a 2000.5 RSVR - couldn't resist the full ohlins bling.

Those are sweet, my old neighbor had whatever the last year before they went to the RSV4 was, let me take it for a spin. I had the StreetFighter at the time and lots of seat time on 1098's/1198's and it's a very similar beast. Super fun. Be careful, a bike like that might as well print a speeding ticket every other time you turn it on.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Should my friend trade his 280zx n/a for a 1986 Kawasaki zl600 with new carbs and battery? He purchased the car for about a grand a while back. He's shopping for his first bike and I don't know if it's such a good idea over a Ninja 250 or something for the same price if it's gonna be his only method of transport.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

infraboy posted:

Fluid looked a bit dark but I have a vacuum pump should be a 10 minute job to bleed.

The clutch fluid just goes black on these due to either an o-ring or the lube (can't remember exactly) used in the slave cylinder. Basically until you replace that you can bleed it as much as you like and it will go black again very quick. It doesn't affect the operation so just replace it on maintenance schedule or when you feel it needs it.

I just had mine done 300 miles ago and its already almost black again.

Edit - welcome to the club. Nice Factory too! I wanted one but the $$ was a bit much. I have an ohlins rear on the way for my R now trying to make up for it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

GanjamonII posted:

The clutch fluid just goes black on these due to either an o-ring or the lube (can't remember exactly) used in the slave cylinder. Basically until you replace that you can bleed it as much as you like and it will go black again very quick. It doesn't affect the operation so just replace it on maintenance schedule or when you feel it needs it.

I just had mine done 300 miles ago and its already almost black again.

Edit - welcome to the club. Nice Factory too! I wanted one but the $$ was a bit much. I have an ohlins rear on the way for my R now trying to make up for it.

Guess I wont worry about it then! The clutch is easy to enough to pull, pretty much feels like the VFR hydraulic one.

Some other dude that wanted the bike was trying to get a loan for it but I had cash on hand so the seller gave it up to me, just got her home tonight, super fun to ride, very comfortable, the wind protection is surprisingly good, sounds awesome when you let it rip but it's pretty subdued on the highway, very smooth Vtwin until you crack the throttle and you feel that V-twin vibe. owner gave me other bits like a red seat/red passenger seat, original exhausts, rearsets, etc.

Axis of Evil is now complete!

Sold my GS500 tonight as well for 1800$ exactly what I paid for it 2.5 years ago, put almost 15k miles on it. She was my first and will be missed.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
dbl post noticed too late.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 5, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ElMaligno posted:

(click picture)

There's also koollook124's 1986 GS450L thread. Goddamned 80s GS rodeo up in here. :clint:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My girlfriend has mentioned that she'd like to learn to ride. I did a bit of searching on craigslist, and of course was smacked in the face by the fact that bikes are really expensive in the SF area. However, I did find http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3049095878.html. As the ad says, it needs a new battery and alternator; I'm wondering if perhaps the stator just needs re-winding? I'm a little surprised that after 1500 miles (!) the alternator is shot. Thoughts? The price is high for a bike that doesn't start and probably needs a carb cleaning, but on the other hand I'm finally moving to a place with a garage, and it has incredibly low mileage.

edit: fixed over-large image

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
My G1 sv650 was totaled and insurance appraised it at $2,400 a few hundred less than what I paid for it. It was my first bike and I'm not sure if I want to just get another one or try something new. Either way it's going to have to wait till next season until I can ride again I think. My bones still need to become one piece again and then PT time :toot: What are some good choices for similar bikes?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

How long did you ride it, how many miles? Did you like it? What didn't you like about it? What would you do differently, where do you live, what kind of riding do you do, etc?

Until then I recommend a RED motorcycle or a GREEN scooter.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Spiffness posted:

How long did you ride it, how many miles? Did you like it? What didn't you like about it? What would you do differently, where do you live, what kind of riding do you do, etc?

How about this RED Aprilia Tuono, perfect for breaking things

I give you very good price!

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Never mind, it's gone.

Alceste fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 2, 2012

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

infraboy posted:

Guess I wont worry about it then! The clutch is easy to enough to pull, pretty much feels like the VFR hydraulic one.

I meant to say earlier as well, if you haven't already done it you should check out apriliaforum.com. They have a subforum dedicated to these bikes and its a good resource for information, common problems and maintenance guides etc

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

Spiffness posted:

It was my first bike and this would have been my second season riding. I put about 3,000 miles on it, looking through all my stuff my accident was one day short of year passing my MSF course. I live in Massachusetts, I mostly stuck to back roads looking for decent twisty sections. Since it was my first bike I really don't have much to compare it too, I like how it delivered power pretty consistently and seemed to handle well. I know I'd like to stick to something with a standard riding position and prefer naked bikes.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I think I'm going to trade my middle aged man r1100gs for a v-strom 650. Does anyone ride them on gravel to sandy roads? Is a 06 with 20k worth 4500? I'm hoping to find a straight trade... BMW parts are too drat high, and it only gets 30mpg which kind of defeats part of the reason for riding.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I don't think the strom will be all that much better except from an economic point of view, but I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to trade you straight across. Take a look at some prices on ADVrider.

Either bike will do fine with the correct tires on mild graded dirt roads, but sand will be difficult (as it is on any bike, just worse with weight).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Figured. My dad wants to trade me his Versus. I spent an hour on it, pretty fun (10k redline is new to me) and suitable for the light gravel roads I ride. He's thinks he is gonna sell or trade the Gs and get a brand new Vstrom.