Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lprsti99 posted:

AP Warwick was around when I still played LoL (~2 years ago?). It was just as funny back then.

My friend has made a habit out of playing AP Teemo, it is just hilarious.

For those that don't play LoL, Teemo is a little gnome like guy whose ultimate move allows him to place up to 3 mushrooms anywhere on the map. The mushrooms stealth a second after being placed and function as land mines that do direct damage and apply a poison DoT. Usually the mines are used in assists, or to deny areas to enemies, not for straight up damage. However a magic damage build can up the damage to hilarious levels.

So my friend will play very timidly, never really engaging, just harassing enemies sometimes to the point where they start raging at him in chat, to stop being a pussy and stand and fight or whatever. Even his allies will get annoyed at his timidness sometimes. Eventually they get annoyed enough/overconfident/are just dumb enough to chase him...straight into his mines. Which, depending on the enemy character, can even kill them almost instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I... I was going to say that I'm not sure playing off-kilter builds in LoL is really griefing, but then I remembered the community. Other hilarious options: 5 Warmogs.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Orv posted:

I... I was going to say that I'm not sure playing off-kilter builds in LoL is really griefing, but then I remembered the community. Other hilarious options: 5 Warmogs.

Being bad (which, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder) in a game where you can't pick your teammates is always griefing to some degree.

I TK'd a 7 year old, in front of his father, in World of Tanks for being both awful and stupid. I tended to rage like a lunatic in WoT either way, but even if the kid wasn't intending to grief me by being awful, he pissed me off enough I had to deliver Soviet justice to the back of his tank. He never said anything in chat, he didn't fire on his teammates, he didn't do anything overt. He was just worthless.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Being bad (which, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder) in a game where you can't pick your teammates is always griefing to some degree.

And lets face it, a majority of players out there are pretty bad.

Yes, :goonsay:

quote:

I tended to rage like a lunatic in WoT either way

:allears: Those were good times.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can't mention World of Tanks without mentioning Rommel trolling, which is just going into a game and saying "Rommel was a war criminal" during the countdown. To date I have been physically threatened, teamkilled, and been called just about every variation of a homophobic slur that you can imagine while people scramble to defend their noble nazi. There have been times that people have let themselves get killed because they are too busy arguing about Rommel to pay attention to the game itself. It's such a simple phrase that invokes a ridiculous amount of anger with the armchair generals that play the game.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Control Volume posted:

You can't mention World of Tanks without mentioning Rommel trolling.

Isn't this just people sperging about someone being wrong? Rommel wasn't a war criminal.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Orv posted:

On Mundo!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Praseodymi posted:

Isn't this just people sperging about someone being wrong? Rommel wasn't a war criminal.

It's the magnitude of their sperging. Some matches people will sperg until the match ends with no further provocation of your own. I highly doubt something like "Patton was a war criminal" would evoke nearly the same response.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Control Volume posted:

It's the magnitude of their sperging. Some matches people will sperg until the match ends with no further provocation of your own. I highly doubt something like "Patton was a war criminal" would evoke nearly the same response.

Don't be ridiculous, Patton wasn't a war criminal. He was a secret Communist!

That would get nearly the same amount of sperging as calling Rommel a war criminal.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
e: wrong thread

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
While we're at the topic of roleplaying, Star Trek nerds are the worst for that. One day a couple of us were hanging out in a back then social zone, making fun about bad bios, people obviously cybersexing and people about to start with it. Now in Star Trek Online, there's supposed to be a war going on between the Federation and Klingons, there are some boarder dispute kind missions and some PvP poo poo focused around that only nobody does it because it gives you gently caress all rewards and there are only about 20 people who actively play PvP in the entire game, most of the game for most of the people is roleplaying admirals getting some nice fresh cadet pussy or yiffing, but at least the furries are usually kind enough to not do it in public.

So anyway, we're hanging out, making fun of people in our private chat channel until RandomBattle (on here, I forget what his ingame name is) shows up. He's playing a short grizzled dude who always looks pissed off so he looks like a drill sergeant stereotype. He just comes in and starts tearing into people completely in character for half an hour, how they make him sick, there's a war going on out there, good people are fighting and dying while these guys spend their time at the academy getting drunk and hitting on cadets, how his best friend died in whatever battle of trek reference to protect this and so on.

It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in PR and he had his poo poo straight but the best thing was these people ate it up. Soon almost everybody in the zone was rallied around him, some insulting him blatantly ooc, some trying to deal with the problem in character, there were even some guys who RP reported him to his fleet superiors, some guys who tried to fake arrest him and some people who for real reported him. The ending scene was pure brilliance. Three people in tactical kits, meaning hand cuffs, body armor and all that showed up and tried to fake arrest him again, he turned around to look at them, told them they weren't any better and just left and everybody was just puzzled, it took them a while to get back into what they were doing before.

Another short one happened when someone decided the new RP spot was sexist, just people sitting around in a bar and on every table you had three or for almost naked Orion slave girls just afk dancing I assume or cybering with the people who were sitting around those tables. Now one of ours decided this wouldn't stand so he created a shirtless male Orion (there are maybe two people in the game who actually play male Orions) and just started dancing on one of the tables as well. People were outraged, they threatened him, they offered him money to go away, everything.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Orv posted:

Silly League builds

Nothing like having the entirety of your team scream at you as your giant metal Big Daddy stand-in trundles out of a bush at lightspeed to smash the enemy caster's face in.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Zaodai posted:

I TK'd a 7 year old, in front of his father, in World of Tanks for being both awful and stupid. I tended to rage like a lunatic in WoT either way, but even if the kid wasn't intending to grief me by being awful, he pissed me off enough I had to deliver Soviet justice to the back of his tank. He never said anything in chat, he didn't fire on his teammates, he didn't do anything overt. He was just worthless.

I can just imagine the kid's stunned silence, followed by his Dad laying a sympathetic hand on his shoulder, looking him the eyes with a knowing glance and saying, "War is hell son."

Well either that or, "I know son, I know: loving goons."

:ussr:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Probably because he was a dumb, uncoordinated 7 year old?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A child playing the game normally made you so mad you resorted to teamkilling. Who really got griefed here?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

In WoT you don't care why your teammates are worthless idiots so much as you care that they're worthless idiots. That's one of the reasons I stopped playing , I'd often get unlucky and have to deal with idiot teams several games in a row and I'd spend much less time enjoying myself and much more time being angry at my team for being incompetent and dooming the round.

e:

Vib Rib posted:

A child playing the game normally made you so mad you resorted to teamkilling. Who really got griefed here?
He was saying that being bad in a video game where you don't pick your teams generates as much anger as griefing, and then offered an example where he was griefed because someone was bad in a video game where he didn't pick his teams. That was the point of the post.

sum fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 1, 2012

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Then I rescind my comment on grounds of not reading properly and being an idiot.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Vib Rib posted:

Sometimes you just can't tell. I'm STILL not sure.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

i poo poo trains posted:

In WoT you don't care why your teammates are worthless idiots so much as you care that they're worthless idiots. That's one of the reasons I stopped playing , I'd often get unlucky and have to deal with idiot teams several games in a row and I'd spend much less time enjoying myself and much more time being angry at my team for being incompetent and dooming the round.

This is the net-result of most non PVP games out there. I can't count the number of "What the gently caress are you doing?"s and "You loving idiot!"s I'd spewed in my lounge (without my mic plugged in) in the early days of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

Eventually I realised my Kinect also served as mic. :negative:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Radio Paranoia posted:

Eventually I realised my Kinect also served as mic. :negative:

Having the Kinect be a microphone is a grief by Microsoft itself, whether someone tries to use it as one or not. The best is when the person doesn't realize it's a microphone and has voice chat volume over the TV set low. The kinect's mic is right next to the TV's (or sound system's) speakers. In a noisy game, you end up with someone that constantly is broadcasting the sounds of their own game to everyone else and doesn't realize it because they can't hear anyone else. And even in a quieter game, someone else says something in voice chat and the person with a kinect echos that person endlessly.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Morglon posted:

Another short one happened when someone decided the new RP spot was sexist, just people sitting around in a bar and on every table you had three or for almost naked Orion slave girls just afk dancing I assume or cybering with the people who were sitting around those tables. Now one of ours decided this wouldn't stand so he created a shirtless male Orion (there are maybe two people in the game who actually play male Orions) and just started dancing on one of the tables as well. People were outraged, they threatened him, they offered him money to go away, everything.

More photos and the whole story here.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

MisterOblivious posted:

This one is a shot of a Dev:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66064592@N04/7129229133/in/photostream

and his story.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dick Burglar posted:

Probably because he was a dumb, uncoordinated 7 year old?

Exactly, which the guy who claimed to be his dad while raging at me offered as an excuse.

My exact response was "If you don't want your son getting shot for being retarded and worthless, then teach him to not be a worthless retard." Wasn't my job to raise his kid for him.

When the game ended, the father sent me a private message about how I'm actually the one who is retarded, and he was going to get me banned for assaulting his child, a bloo bloo bloo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Should have just responded "THE MOTHERLAND HAS NO SPACE FOR IMBECILES GLORY TO COMMUNISM" and ignored him afterwards.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

1stGear posted:

Should have just responded "THE MOTHERLAND HAS NO SPACE FOR IMBECILES GLORY TO COMMUNISM" and ignored him afterwards.

He already had communication from me blocked by the time I tried to respond. :saddowns:

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

This reminds me of my favorite no-effort way of frustrating people in AV. There was a mod that automatically roleplayed for you, spouting off one-liners when you healed/did damage/took damage/did pretty much any activity. It had modifiers for the percentage of occurrences and what races/classes/etc. you could talk from.

This makes me happy as a pig in poo poo, because I wrote that addon!

I'm glad people found interesting things to do with it.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Enos Shenk posted:

This was the third greatest add-on in the game. The first was the now-defunct RankWatch and the second being Reported!, which I believe doesn't work any more.

For those not in the know: RankWatch was an add-on designed to benefit those in your party. It would send them a polite (or impolite, you could reword it!) tell informing them that they weren't using the maximum rank for their chosen ability. In leveling groups, not a big deal, maybe they leveled in the dungeon! But at 80, they could've forgotten to train, update their bars, etc. (or still thought downranking heals was 'efficient').

In theory, it was great! In practice, the addon going off would incite incredible amounts of rage in other players. The machine caught them, and people hate being loving caught. Once again this could be used to wonderful effect in Alterac Valley, the 40-man battleground. You would not believe the insane amount of max level players in PvP (and PvE) using downranked spells. I would enter AV, the match would start, and it would tag 20-25 players.

Reported! was pretty straight-forward, you set up strings of text and when they were caught in chat channels it would reply simply 'reported', as in you reported the player to the GMs.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
To be fair downranking was sometimes efficient and while guarding flags I'd spam rank 1 consecration just to mess with enemy rogues and the like without wasting mana and there were a few good reasons to use rank 1 spells sometimes. Until they changed spells to cost the same regardless of what rank you're using.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

His ship is the Chippendales
:golfclap:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Enos Shenk posted:

I had pubbies raging at me because of that addon back when I played WoW and tanked random heroics. :3:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I hope this technology gets put in every game.

http://kotaku.com/5914959/make-crazy-faces-at-your-webcam-and-your-everquest-ii-character-will-soon-mimic-them

It'll be fun actually watching someone's character freak out with them.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Zaodai posted:

My exact response was "If you don't want your son getting shot for being retarded and worthless, then teach him to not be a worthless retard." Wasn't my job to raise his kid for him.

Unless that kid was some sort of little Hitler or something this just makes you sound like a huge dick.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The thing about world of tanks and goons is a lot of goons don't understand griefing or trolling and think they are doing it.

You often get goons who claim to grief a team by being a stupid idiot and not moving out of base then you get goons who claim to grief a guy who won't move out of base. Most of the time the goons won't stop to think if the guy they are trying to grief or troll is also trying the same.

Some sort of weird mexican stand off where it isn't because they both have guns, but because neither of them have social skills.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

One time in AV, there was this guy that had it, refused to get rid of it, and it spammed it in raid chat instead of a private message. I took advantage of the situation to stay as near to him as possible and use rank 1 skills as much as possible. Just spamming them, not even attacking or healing anything. By the end it, everyone hated him (and me).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PalmTreeFun posted:

Unless that kid was some sort of little Hitler or something this just makes you sound like a huge dick.

I never disputed being a huge dick. My point wasn't that I was doing the Lord's work or something. The point was being terrible is a form of griefing all it's own.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Morglon posted:

That zombie thing was pretty hilarious. I ran across two high level players infecting some out of the way quest hub and keeping it completely locked down along with some poor newbie. I was on my top of the line Paladin and in a fairly good mood so I decided to help out. I killed the two guys and cured all the diseased NPCs and their victim. That made them mad. I actually had something better to do but after I saw them blowing up, calling a no life loser because I had two pieces of tier 6 (top raiding gear at the time) then doing a complete 180 and calling me a complete noob for only having two pieces (you figure that one out) I decided to stay around and cure them every time they tried to infect that outpost again. From that day forward I cured everybody I could and the rage was always pretty hilarious. After all this was a serious thing with nothing to gain and nothing at stake. It was just an easy way to grief for uncreative people and these people were really easy to piss off. Just like all the other assholes who thought ganking low level players was the pinnacle of hilarity. Always nice to take them out too while passing through.

I did the exact same thing on my paladin on Mal'Ganis. I would run around Durotar smiting zombies and cleansing people (who were getting infected on purpose), and go into straight idiot hero mode. I would say stuff like "No need to thank me, citizen. Just doing my knightly duties" or crap like that as I remounted my horse and rode off into the sunset. I would also occasionally spend time praying for the souls of the zombies after slaying them, loudly, in /say (which they generally saw since they were angrily whispering me before releasing).

The best part was the Alliance and Horde paladins having a ceasefire with each other to deal with the zombie menace. At one point the boat between the Barrens and Booty Bay had become a zombie cruise, so myself (a Blood elf paladin), a few other Horde paladins, and several Alliance paladins I had met through ganking on the Isle of Quel'Danas boarded the ship and cleansed it of the foul zombie infestation. In all of my time in WoW, I have NEVER seen such bizarre rage.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Since we're on about WoW addons - some years ago now, goon Lemon King:

im nt posting wif a
mark on my head

wrote an addon. A wonderful addon. You see those flashy symbols? Players in control of a party of players, or a raid (a party-of-parties) could put those symbols over monsters or hostile players to help tell your team what to do. Shoot square, trap triangle etc.
Oh, and you could put them over friendlies, too. At some point it was patched that non-party leaders could also set the marks. Cue Lemon King writing an addon that, by it's final version, makes the things cycle like demented disco lights, a single mark skips around the group, everyone except one single player gets marked etc.
The effect on the playerbase was fantastic. Rage, paranoia and YELLING THAT THEY'RE NOT MOVING AN INCH WHILE THEY'VE GOT THIS MARK ON THEIR HEAD!!!!! There was an entire thread stuffed with screenshots in the WoW forum that someone with a better memory than I might be able to find.

Eventually, Blizzard quietly snuck into a patch the (default-on) option to show who was setting marks.:orks:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kerbtree posted:

Since we're on about WoW addons - some years ago now, goon Lemon King:

im nt posting wif a
mark on my head

wrote an addon. A wonderful addon. You see those flashy symbols? Players in control of a party of players, or a raid (a party-of-parties) could put those symbols over monsters or hostile players to help tell your team what to do. Shoot square, trap triangle etc.
Oh, and you could put them over friendlies, too. At some point it was patched that non-party leaders could also set the marks. Cue Lemon King writing an addon that, by it's final version, makes the things cycle like demented disco lights, a single mark skips around the group, everyone except one single player gets marked etc.
The effect on the playerbase was fantastic. Rage, paranoia and YELLING THAT THEY'RE NOT MOVING AN INCH WHILE THEY'VE GOT THIS MARK ON THEIR HEAD!!!!! There was an entire thread stuffed with screenshots in the WoW forum that someone with a better memory than I might be able to find.

Eventually, Blizzard quietly snuck into a patch the (default-on) option to show who was setting marks.:orks:

IconHell was glorious. You could troll people totally passively! The best part was that showing who was setting marks was only default-on for new characters and new WoW installs, which meant that IconHell kept working undetected by 99% of the WoW population for weeks. Then Blizzard rate-limited icon changes and now IconHell doesn't work. Hell of a ride where it lasted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So they couldnt turn it off? I'm failing to see why someone would get angry over a mark over their head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SynthOrange posted:

So they couldnt turn it off? I'm failing to see why someone would get angry over a mark over their head.

You couldn't disable the ability for the marks to show up. So you could turn the mark off, but if someone had a mod automated to constantly reassert it, it would just show up again a second later.

As for why it makes them mad, part of it is that it is something they can't control. Also that it just gets annoying to have big flashing colored icons over your head constantly.

• Locked thread