Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Phummus posted:

mindphlux, I work in a radiology group, and we had a patient refuse to drink the contrast barium because it didn't say 'gluten free' on the label. Please make sure you ask the tech if your Mag is gluten free when you go in for your test. Please.

I did this poo poo two weeks ago

gently caress BARIUM CONTRAST

probably the most harrowing experience of my adult life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
wow I literally just dry heaved thinking about it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

I'll eat 8oz of straight mustard the night before and make it my ICSA entry.

Call your entry Cooking Fundamentally

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Smorgasboat!

http://smorgasboatbrooklyn.com/

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Conversation over the breakfast table...

:j: Daddy - I found a false willy yesterday
:kiddo: What do you mean a false willy?
:j: It was orange and had balls and everything.
:kiddo: WHAT do you mean a false willy?
:j: It was really long, much longer than yours.
:kiddo: What do you mean longer than mine?
:j: I found it in the park on my way back from school!
:kiddo: What did you do with it?
:j: I picked it up, and then we swordfighted with it.
:kiddo: Oh...
:j: Then I threw it at the ground to see if it would break..
:kiddo: Oh.. Did it?
:j: No - it was made from rubber, so it bounced!
:kiddo: What do you mean much longer than mine?

Holy poo poo I would have loved to have that entire swordfighting with dildos on video to show to their friends when they turn 15..

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this is the only thing I can think of when I read the words 'false willy'

http://www.heartsfireleathers.com/xcart/catalog/Mr-Jack-Mouth-W-Mustache-p-1911023.html

obviously not safe for work. because you're working on the weekend. and are going to get fired for looking at Mr-Jack-Mouth-W-Mustache.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I bet this is better in the original moon language because `false willy' is probably something like `schlüerpendøngen'.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I love you, Happy Hat.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

SubG posted:

I bet this is better in the original moon language because `false willy' is probably something like `schlüerpendøngen'.

I cannot stop giggling.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Drink and Fight posted:

I love you, Happy Hat.

Aryan child dildo-fighting is a thing that exists I guess.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'd get your kid tested, Mr. Hat. You never know what might be on a strange false willy in the wilderness. :ohdear:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
a frightened child wandering the dark, forlorn forests of nærøyfjorden : suddenly, twixt the trees, a schlüerpendøngen!!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drink and Fight posted:

I love you, Happy Hat.

I'd just emptyquote this if I could.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

mindphlux posted:

a schlüerpendøngen!!

Almost swallowed my tongue sounding that out.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

I love you, Happy Hat.

Emptyquote.

mindphlux posted:

I keep waiting for my hot as poo poo of-unknown-providence latina neighbor girl to offer to scrub my floors or like dust or something.

Hasn't happened yet. :(

To hell with tacos, I suspect that you have insufficient supplies of Lemon Pledge. Once you correct this deficit, she'll be unable to resist.

Joborgzorz posted:

The trendy gluten-free thing is the one fad diet that actually pisses me off.

While the fad diet/health craze aspects are impossible to deny, I know a lot of people who have decided to go gluten-free, and a few of them I actually respect as cooks/gourmets. Even The Beet has gone gluten-free. :(

Maybe there really are rising levels of celiac and gluten intolerance? If so, what could possibly be to blame? Mankind has been cultivating wheat for a LONG time... My hippy-dippy girlfriend blames GMO wheat. Seems like a stretch to me, but I don't have any better ideas. Maybe one of you sciencey folks can dismiss that one for me?

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 11, 2012

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I once found a dildo on the ground in Philly and chased my girlfriend down the street with it because I am a huge man child.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
A very good friend of mine is co-editor of a "erotic magazine for women". You would not BELIEVE the kind of poo poo you can find in her cupboards and what you can do with them at a party.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Emptyquote.

To hell with tacos, I suspect that you have insufficient supplies of Lemon Pledge. Once you correct this deficit, she'll be unable to resist.

While the fad diet/health craze aspects are impossible to deny, I know a lot of people who have decided to go gluten-free, and a few of them I actually respect as cooks/gourmets. Even The Beet has gone gluten-free. :(

Maybe there really are rising levels of celiac and gluten intolerance? If so, what could possibly be to blame? Mankind has been cultivating wheat for a LONG time... My hippy-dippy girlfriend blames GMO wheat. Seems like a stretch to me, but I don't have any better ideas. Maybe one of you sciencey folks can dismiss that one for me?

And speaking of the gf, here is a shameless plug for her blog. She captured a genuine "Old Lady Recipe", and I love those.

Auntie's Dal
I wonder if the use of processed wheat used in quick-ferment breads has affected this. I hear tell that traditional methods of bread making use enzymatic processes that make bread and the gluten therein more digestible than modern breads.

However, this could all be apocryphal.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Happy Hat posted:

Conversation over the breakfast table...

:j: Daddy - I found a false willy yesterday
:kiddo: What do you mean a false willy?
:j: It was orange and had balls and everything.
:kiddo: WHAT do you mean a false willy?
:j: It was really long, much longer than yours.
:kiddo: What do you mean longer than mine?
:j: I found it in the park on my way back from school!
:kiddo: What did you do with it?
:j: I picked it up, and then we swordfighted with it.
:kiddo: Oh...
:j: Then I threw it at the ground to see if it would break..
:kiddo: Oh.. Did it?
:j: No - it was made from rubber, so it bounced!
:kiddo: What do you mean much longer than mine?

Holy poo poo I would have loved to have that entire swordfighting with dildos on video to show to their friends when they turn 15..

This is incredible.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

a frightened child wandering the dark, forlorn forests of nærøyfjorden : suddenly, twixt the trees, a schlüerpendøngen!!

For some reason my mind immediately put this to Der Erlkönig only with much happier lyrics.

Also:

Drink and Fight posted:

I love you, Happy Hat.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mindphlux posted:

Next season on "Once Upon a Time".

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Ungh, nisk (kurdish red lentil soup) on a rainy day is pure heaven.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Didion posted:

Ungh, nisk (kurdish red lentil soup) on a rainy day is pure heaven.
Recipe pls.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Informed wife about purchase of deep fryer. Did it during performance of oral sex, she approved of my guile!

I will now fry the world!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Happy Hat posted:

Informed wife about purchase of deep fryer. Did it during performance of oral sex, she approved of my guile!

I will now fry the world!

HH I'll drop your book in the post come Tuesday. I'm not sure you got my email, so I'll tell you here. Shipping to the DK is like $13 and some change. Is that OK?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Oh yes!

To even think that I am able to partake of someone who actually has the capability and capacity to write a book, however remotely, is something that is deeply awesome to me, in the truest sense of the word.

To say that I envy the ability to do so would be a falsehood, as I would rather say that I think you should be celebrated; to write, and to get read is a feat that is joyfull for everybody that knows you.

You will be put front and center of my bookshelf, and I will enjoy bragging to my friends that 'oh - this is someone I know - please read the inscription to me'.

Thank you dino!

(This post may have been written under the influence of alcohol, that is not a problem, because it is filled with love).

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

therattle posted:

Recipe pls.

Varies a bit, but I'd say the staple you should follow is (all approximate cause that's how kurdish people roll):
6 cups of water
one cup red lentils(thoroughly rinsed)
0,5-1 onion, chopped.
t. curry powder
t. turmeric
pinch of cumin
black pepper (from personal preference to 0.5 t.)
Salt to taste
4 T. of rice
fry the chopped onion in some oil till it sweats before adding the all but the rice and let it cook for 30 minutes, then add rice and cook for 10 minutes more and that's it. If you prefer a more creamy texture then just whisk it for a few minutes before you finish.

Some people enjoy stock (poultry) in the mix, chick peas, fresh/dried lime and you could also swap the rice for some suitable pasta if you'd like. Watch and stir every now and then those last 10 minutes or the rice will stick to the bottom.

Didion fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 3, 2012

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Question, why does the restaurant industry pay so poorly?

Like, I am sure it is a ton of different factors but I couldn't really think of a compelling reason why.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

bunnielab posted:

I think Marx and Engels generally explained it. Look for the bits discussing the relationship between those with capital and those without.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

I think Marx and Engels generally explained it. Look for the bits discussing the relationship between those with capital and those without.

Restaurant workers are too busy getting liberal arts degrees and growing beards to learn any better job skills?

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Like, I am sure it is a ton of different factors but I couldn't really think of a compelling reason why.

Margins, highly volatile market with potentially lots of incumbent or potential competitors, highly volatile consumers as well who generally reduce expenditure on luxury such as restaurant dining (depending on the restaurant) when their own household economy is hurt, season affected, requires a lot of capital to penetrate market and even then the odds of making it through is laughable most of the time.

Maybe you're keeping your expenditure as low as possible so you can recuperate the money used for start up/price penetration or you're keeping as tight a budget for rainy days. It just doesn't pay to pay more than market minimum/what your competitors are willing to pay unless you can gain something extra from the employees (Maslow) so the market ends up tacitly colluding in regards wages.

At least that's my outside-in perspective on the matter.

Didion fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 4, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

people just don't like paying for prepared food. there are tons of restaurants, and not so many people with an inclination to eat out. so low end restaurants charging just a little bit have to compete with industrialized food like TV dinners and mcdonalds and olive garden and poo poo, and mid-high end businesses have to compete with eachother, and a limited dining public. so really I personally just think the market is always over-saturated with "dining establishments", all operating on pretty slim profit margins, which makes it hard to pay good wages. couple that with the fact that flipping burgers doesn't really require a masters degree, and when you have tons of places needing to employ basically skill-less job positions - basically the pressure of overhead will lead any sensible business person to feel out the minimum hourly wage they can afford to pay someone, and settle on that.

couple all that with the fact that restaurant employees tend to be notoriously flaky and strange employees, and I think you have it buttoned and sealed right there. "right to work" states are probably an even bigger burden on operators - where's the incentive to pay someone a really sweet wage if they can still just up and leave whenever the hell they want to?

dunno, it sucks though. if I ever scraped together enough dollars to start a food related business, I'd love to pay people a good wage, but I think it's just tough to do in practice and stay afloat. sous, exec (if not myself), and GM are probably the three positions I could imagine salarying. maybe dishwasher, out of respect.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 4, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My neighbor a couple of houses down had their garage burn down today. Made for a pretty exciting day what with the street being shut down for all the fire trucks and what have you. Impromptu block party, though, as a sign of community support that it was just the garage (and the 41 Buick that he was working on, that he just got, which started the fire) and not anything important (like people) that got damaged. Still, it was pretty exciting for a bit when my son ran into the house early this afternoon shouting "Dad the house is on fire!" I say "no the house is not on fire I am standing in it and it is certainly not on fire" to which he responds "No dad, the neighbor's house!" "Oh!" says I and I run out the back door only to be greeted by a wall of heat that was eminating from several properties away.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My neighbor a couple of houses down had their garage burn down today. Made for a pretty exciting day what with the street being shut down for all the fire trucks and what have you. Impromptu block party, though, as a sign of community support that it was just the garage (and the 41 Buick that he was working on, that he just got, which started the fire) and not anything important (like people) that got damaged. Still, it was pretty exciting for a bit when my son ran into the house early this afternoon shouting "Dad the house is on fire!" I say "no the house is not on fire I am standing in it and it is certainly not on fire" to which he responds "No dad, the neighbor's house!" "Oh!" says I and I run out the back door only to be greeted by a wall of heat that was eminating from several properties away.
I'm surprised you didn't immediately form a bucket chain.

Next update: neighbours band together for barn/garage raising, followed by party with old-timey fiddle, banjo and washboard band and plenty of moonshine drunk from clay jars.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

mindphlux posted:

couple all that with the fact that restaurant employees tend to be notoriously flaky and strange employees, and I think you have it buttoned and sealed right there. "right to work" states are probably an even bigger burden on operators - where's the incentive to pay someone a really sweet wage if they can still just up and leave whenever the hell they want to?

I thought "right to work" was just about keeping unions from forming and letting employers fire people whenever they wanted.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

I thought "right to work" was just about keeping unions from forming and letting employers fire people whenever they wanted.

Yeah, right to work means you can't have a closed shop. You can have unions, but union participation isn't mandatory.

What everyone confuses with that is employment at will, which allows either employer or employee to terminate the working relationship without cause at any time.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
You know what happens when people go pro se for awhile, then come in because they are in waaaaaay over their heads? You bill them for hours and hours of loving cleaning up and organizing your goddamn shitpile of a file.

God loving drat it, this is like the fifth time I've run into another pile of emails, the vast majority of which are duplicates, but I still have to go through them because there will be, without a doubt, one loving email that fills in a gap. A gap made because Mr. Genius pro se figured it was an immaterial email. Fuuuuuck clients, I hate them all.

(Rant over; also, gently caress you again halal for causing me to quit cigs last week.)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah, right to work means you can't have a closed shop. You can have unions, but union participation isn't mandatory.

What everyone confuses with that is employment at will, which allows either employer or employee to terminate the working relationship without cause at any time.

whoops, yeah 'at will employment' is what I meant.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

Sorry to read about drama but ahahah that video. I'm easily entertained.

Best news of all, my friendly redneck neighbor is looking to make a few extra bucks and offered to mow my lawn. Hell yes you can mow that giant craphole of a lawn! He even got all excited at my mower and took it back to his place for a tuneup and sharpening as part of his all-in-one redneck groundskeeping service. I may have to do some computer work for him as part of general trade of skills but woo hoo, hooray for rednecks.

Do you pay him to tuneup your wife too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

pr0k posted:

Ragequit and deleted all the FB GWS Illuminati from his friendlist for reasons unknown (attention whoring.)

oh god drat it just loving click

http://youtu.be/MBfYQOSSPqc
How bad is it to send this to a coworker who just quit?