Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwas
Jan 21, 2006

Zombywuf posted:

Wait, you guys find calculus hard?

You know that children can do it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Necc0 posted:

ask me about having an academic adviser who couldn't speak english and telling me to take diff eq the same semester as calc 1 :buddy:

she was eventually fired and i had to take an extra two years of college!! yes!

my first calc course has PDEs sorry about your pre-university education

detroit
Nov 11, 2009
ive never really had to do any kind of math in my programming at my job, hope that helps

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

detroit posted:

ive never really had to do any kind of math in my programming at my job, hope that helps

Condolences on your lovely job

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the happiest I've been at my job has been the times where I've had to drag out the springer-verlag books to solve a problem

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Jonny 290 posted:

[ASK] me about this really depressing theory I have that humans are literally nothing more than bags of water and lookup tables that spend most of their time and resources and life building up one database of i/o but actually only take action when they receive input from another, much smaller and more critical set of inputs

are we talking just key/value pairs or a proper relational db? Really what im saying is are humans webscale?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

[ASK] me about this really depressing theory I have that humans are literally nothing more than bags of water and lookup tables that spend most of their time and resources and life building up one database of i/o but actually only take action when they receive input from another, much smaller and more critical set of inputs

go people watching for a while

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Resplendent Spiral posted:

go people watching for a while

that will only demonstrate that somehow whatever algorithm they use for their hash table is completely broken.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

some days my hash function just returns 0

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Zizzyx posted:

some days my hash function just returns 0

i wish strlen(your_posts) returned 0

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

rotor posted:

the happiest I've been at my job has been the times where I've had to drag out the springer-verlag books to solve a problem
the only times where I'm happy at work :unsmith:
most of the time though its just crap like "hey write a parser for this retarded new GPS protocol" or "the newest iteration of that lovely motor controller can't seem to properly handle the frequency with which we send updates, add some delays" or "our kernel configuration needs to be updated for the newes version of RTAI that just came out" or somesuch :smith:

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

rotor posted:

the happiest days of my job are usually the last day of any job

fora brief moment the world is a beautiful place and everything makes sense but it fades quickly

i keep chasing that dragon

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
quitting is the best part of any job

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
cashing in stock options is the second best. except if youre FB or ZNGA

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

tinselt0wn posted:

quitting is the best part of any job

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jonny 290 posted:

RETICULATING WHINES.....

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Hammerite posted:

watching americans talk about these things is weird because they say things like "oh calculus 2 was my favourite calculus" and expect you to know what the hell calculus 2 is. are your mathematics courses really totally 100% uniform across every institution in the whole country or what

eh no

solving math problems on computers sucks unless matlab can solve it for you in which case it owns

there's a huge class of problems someone with 2 years of uni math can solve or model easily in matlab so long as you know how to find and avoid the problem areas where the solutions break down, for anything else just hire a mathematician tbh

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

rotor posted:

sperger-verlag

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

working after you've given your notice is the greatest because you can just half rear end everything and laugh as people have to pick up your slack

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
went to a company christmas party like a week before my last day. got drunk as hell and was a loud rear end in a top hat. normally im just a mumbling something something.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Zizzyx posted:

working after you've given your notice is the greatest because you can just half rear end everything and laugh as people have to pick up your slack

The last job I quit the two week handover period that consisted of me laughing at the poo poo I was handing over p. much continuously. Good times.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zombywuf posted:

The last job I quit the two week handover period that consisted of me laughing at the poo poo I was handing over p. much continuously. Good times.

the last job i quit the handover was the new guy basically crying about this being his job now, it was a lil awkward

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

rotor posted:

the last job i quit the handover was the new guy basically crying about this being his job now, it was a lil awkward

There was one guy who was getting quite stressed about what I was handing over. Until I did and he realised he'd been told a bunch of crap by people who didn't have the faintest idea what I did all day.

It has been fun keeping up with the place, I may have been the last person with any idea what was going on to have left the company (yay, legacy code, legacy code the founders get all prissy about because they wrote it (which they didn't, most of their code is long gone)). Now the oldest member of the team I was on is 24.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the company i left hella tanked right after i left, a couple important people had already left then within 6 mos everyone who'd been there longer than a year was gone

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
when i quit i asked for more money to stay and they were like lol no, you don't do anything, and that product sorta collapsed shortly thereafter.

schadenfreude is amazing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

the company i left hella tanked right after i left, a couple important people had already left then within 6 mos everyone who'd been there longer than a year was gone

isnt that a great feeling, i mean, obv it sucks on a human level, but dodging bullets is always great

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

when I was 17 I worked for a dickhead guy at a cj shop and he fired me after I didn't charge some old man another $130 for some five-second fix and the company fell apart a few months later and dude had just gotten married and had a baby and had a loan on a hummer h3. owned.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zombywuf posted:

There was one guy who was getting quite stressed about what I was handing over. Until I did and he realised he'd been told a bunch of crap by people who didn't have the faintest idea what I did all day.

It has been fun keeping up with the place, I may have been the last person with any idea what was going on to have left the company (yay, legacy code, legacy code the founders get all prissy about because they wrote it (which they didn't, most of their code is long gone)). Now the oldest member of the team I was on is 24.

Will you please shut up about your coding fantasies and your imaginary epic battles with militant feminists?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FuckItJS
Javascript Error Steamroller

FuckItJS uses state-of-the-art technology to make sure your javascript code runs whether your compiler likes it or not.

Technology
Through a process known as Eval-Rinse-Reload-And-Repeat, FuckItJS repeatedly compiles your code, detecting errors and slicing those lines out of the script. To survive such a violent process, FuckItJS reloads itself after each iteration, allowing the onerror handler to catch every single error in your terribly written code.

Installation
Include jQuery, because everything requires jQuery
Include "fuckit.js"
The End

API
FuckIt(path_to_your_shitty_script_file)

This will keep evaluating your code until all errors have been sliced off like mold on a piece of perfectly good bread. Whether or not the remaining code is even worth executing, we don't know. We also don't particularly care.

FuckIt.noConflict()

Are you using two different FuckIt libraries? gently caress it, use FuckIt.NoConflict. Of course, this won't really help since FuckItJS reloads itself multiple times and will continually overwrite the global FuckIt variable, but hey... at least you can feel like you're doing something smart.

Browser Compatibility
Really? Really?

FAQ
1) Is this a good idea?

Of course not. This is quite possibly the worst javascript plugin ever written.

2) Isn't "eval" evil?

See Question #1.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

isnt that a great feeling, i mean, obv it sucks on a human level, but dodging bullets is always great

sorta except i held onto a lot of stock :(

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

holy poo poo, this owns

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
why does every language not have this

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Tiny Bug Child posted:

why does every language not have this

you're kind of giving it away here

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
For one of my final projects before I get my degree I have to learn a "weird" language and do a big report that compares and blah blah blah with examples. The suggested languages are Clojure, Erlang, Go, Groovy, and Scala. I can ask for approval to do any language though as long as it's an actually language so no HLA or forth or some poo poo like that.

what is the most YOSPOS language?

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
erlang is definitely the most yospos, but scala actually seems p cool and maybe even useful

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I also kinda like the look of go but just so I can randomly put that hamster thing flying across a page.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

based on the mascots I'd say Go

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i've been using unity lately and i had forgotten how much i like C#

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

ZShakespeare posted:

For one of my final projects before I get my degree I have to learn a "weird" language and do a big report that compares and blah blah blah with examples. The suggested languages are Clojure, Erlang, Go, Groovy, and Scala. I can ask for approval to do any language though as long as it's an actually language so no HLA or forth or some poo poo like that.

what is the most YOSPOS language?
none of those languages are "weird" unless your professor only knows java and c#

why aren't you allowed to use forth? it's got a language spec, several mostly-compatible implementations, and lots of libraries.

Another unusual language is J http://www.jsoftware.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

They're "weird" in the sense that once you actually get a job you'll be writing Java for SAP in a cubicle for the rest of your life.