Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

steckles posted:

Bashed out an old school voxel landscape engine last night. I remember being blown away by a couple voxel demos back when I was a teenager. Never did get around to trying to write one until now.

Exe and source are here, if you're interested. Good luck figuring it out though, even I don't know how it works any more.

This is very cool, reminds me of old PC games. Such a cool style of pixel art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Just some more screenshots from the RPG

Probably some of the last with those horrendous old models and that antiquated terrain engine. I've been working on a brand new engine that I can just pop a bunch of the old game logic straight into so I can actually add new features without having to dig through the 3500 line main function.

Shivers McGee
Jan 2, 2006
I've been working on a web app/idea I've been kickin around for a while involving creating/completing missions, socializing, turning life into a game, type weird thing. It might be the worst thing ever but its my first personal php project and it was fun. It's still in the bug working out & adding features phase but is mostly usable if anyone wants to check it out/sign up. https://www.kajuice.com is the uniform resource locater.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Probably not something I would personally use, but it seems like a cool idea. I like the overall design of the site. Here's a bug: when there's no activity to display on the profile page, you see this:

code:
Warning: krsort() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /home/goodness/public_html/kajuice/profile/profile.class.php on line 243

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/goodness/public_html/kajuice/profile/profile.class.php on line 249

Shivers McGee
Jan 2, 2006
whoops, thanks for the heads up, didnt know about that one. Think I fixed it.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
I don't have any screenshots due to confidential company data, but I've been writing webapps that interact with our ConnectWise database to make that lovely software work better for me.

Edit: I guess I should actually explain what I've done. The first is a board that show the number of unassigned tickets, the age of the oldest unassigned ticket, and a color indicator for the table row showing how long a ticket has been on the board unassigned. Another one show a user's tickets, how many there are, and it is organized by status. The ConnectWise interface is terrible for those things. Next I'll have a way to meaningfully search tickets for solutions to already solved problems.

Edit2: Hopefully the blurs don't make these useless.

Marsol0 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 2, 2012

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Goons, meet Iris. She is here to answer all your fact-based questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKhxa3MrOqU

It's just some voice recognition and text-to-speech libraries wired into the Wolfram|Alpha web API to create a special-needs Siri in about 100 lines of code. The voice recognition system uses two grammars - one very sparse one that listens for the "Iris" command plus a few other commands to cancel queries, and another dictation grammar that transcribes the questions. It then flips between which grammars are active so that normal talking doesn't trigger queries without the "Iris"/"yes?" dialog.

It's fragile as all heck right now and the voice recognition fails a lot, but if I'm feeling saucy I might turn it into a system tray app someday.

e: The screen recorder didn't do a good job of capturing the voice synthesis sound, you might need to turn up the volume to hear the responses.

PDP-1 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 3, 2012

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

PDP-1 posted:

Goons, meet Iris. She is here to answer all your fact-based questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKhxa3MrOqU

It's just some voice recognition and text-to-speech libraries wired into the Wolfram|Alpha web API to create a special-needs Siri in about 100 lines of code. The voice recognition system uses two grammars - one very sparse one that listens for the "Iris" command plus a few other commands to cancel queries, and another dictation grammar that transcribes the questions. It then flips between which grammars are active so that normal talking doesn't trigger queries without the "Iris"/"yes?" dialog.

It's fragile as all heck right now and the voice recognition fails a lot, but if I'm feeling saucy I might turn it into a system tray app someday.

e: The screen recorder didn't do a good job of capturing the voice synthesis sound, you might need to turn up the volume to hear the responses.

Neat, this post inspired me to write a clone myself this evening. What are you using for speech recognition? Are you transforming the input before submitting it to W|A? How do you select which result segment is the most useful answer?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I seriously want to know how that voice recognition works.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

Neat, this post inspired me to write a clone myself this evening. What are you using for speech recognition? Are you transforming the input before submitting it to W|A? How do you select which result segment is the most useful answer?

Sinestro posted:

The speech recognition is done via libraries from Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 4. With those libraries you can choose to either use a system-wide shared speech recognition engine or to have an engine that is private to your process. I ended up going with the private engine because when you use the shared version it constantly tries to map free dictation onto the set of commands that other programs have registered, and that knocks the accuracy down by a lot.

I'm not transforming any results before sending them to W|A, since it is designed to take natural language questions already. I'm thinking about trying to recognize simple patterns in the input such as [what is][X] so that I can tailor the output to sound a bit more natural, like [X][is][answer]. (e.g. "What is the population of Wisconsin" would return "The population of Wisconsin is 5.712 million people", instead of just "5.712 million people" like it does now)

To pick the most useful answer you have to take a look at the W|A API results, which is just some XML split into segments named pods. If you've ever used the W|A website directly, you've seen that it returns different kinds of answers to the same question in little bubbles on the screen - each one of those is one pod. In cases where the query was clear, one of those pods is tagged as the 'primary' answer and has a 'plaintext' element that provides the answer I'm returning.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Sinestro posted:

That part is the easy part. Here's what I came up with yesterday evening: https://gist.github.com/2865139 (though to be fair I'm probably cheating a bit by using the WolframAPI package from nuget).

But as you can see, there's no input or output transformation that would truly make it useful. One thing I thought of PDP-1, is that if you haven't already, building a grammar out of tokens from the top 1000 google searches, and/or popular proper nouns would help a lot for this.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Oh wow, I didn't know about that nuget package. I got the .NET API example off of Wolfram's developer page and to be honest it wasn't that useful so I ended up parsing the XML with standard .NET tools. This one looks much better, thanks for pointing it out.

The idea of using Google search terms is interesting, but won't that tend to over-weight pop culture and current news items? The main applications I could see using this for (other than being a pure geek stunt) are things like unit conversions, looking up physical constants, and simple calculations. If I were to try building a custom grammar it'd be centered around math/science terms.

To improve accuracy I was looking at building training files for the underlying SAPI engine. You'd basically record the user reading a few lines of text and then pass the text+audio to the engine and let it figure out what internal settings produce the highest accuracy match. Unfortunately this isn't totally trivial and you'd have to ditch the .NET wrappers and work with the SAPI COM interface directly.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

PDP-1 posted:

The idea of using Google search terms is interesting, but won't that tend to over-weight pop culture and current news items? The main applications I could see using this for (other than being a pure geek stunt) are things like unit conversions, looking up physical constants, and simple calculations. If I were to try building a custom grammar it'd be centered around math/science terms.
I'd be inclined to agree. If you'd released this as something that lived in my systray, I'd probably already have it installed, and be using it for unit conversions, simple math formulas, etc. I'd never be looking for popculture stuff, I'd probably be using it as I was coding, mostly for quick-reference stuff.

It would probably save me at least a few minutes a day, which would really add up over time.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

If I can't verbally ask a smart agent "How old is Beyoncé in nimeshas" then it doesn't count :v:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm making an 'improved' version of my local DVD rental store's website to learn Python and Django.

I want to add a lot of other stuff but I'm incredibly happy that it works. :dance:

It would have taken a lot longer without the help of the guys of the Python and Django threads.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Sinestro posted:

I made my own attempt, but the voice recognition is completely poo poo. https://gist.github.com/2869958

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

This is the overview page of my web app. Basically it's a todo list for all the corrective maintenance, planned maintenance, expiries and service dates coming up. This is hopefully going to be one of the main sellers of the system, the majority of other systems force you to go all over the place to keep things updated, where as the goal with this page is to keep you there for all your upcoming work, no fishing required.

You can see everything in dated order of priority, click on it to see what you can do about it, and then you stay on the page when you've submitted the form. I'm hoping to figure out a clean way to do multiple items at once, as you can see you'd probably do all the replace light jobs at once and the details would be similar / the same for all of them.

Also, I jumped on the ProximaNova bandwagon as all the cool kids seem to be doing that. :)

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

A guy in this thread was talking about some kind of mapping web app. I couldn't help myself so I had a stab at it :iamafag:

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Like many colleges/universities, my college uses WebAdvisor to handle admissions, course sign up, pretty much everything. Like all WebAdvisor products, it's a worthless piece of poo poo. So I wrote a Greasemonkey script to make it a little bit better, and I've been updating it over the years. The most recent update can do this when you move the mouse over a section once it knows your schedule, so you can easily know where things end up:

The red/green background's mine too - the only point where Camlink tells you there's a conflict with any section and your schedule is if you try to register it. Of course on the real course schedule screen this table's expanded and dynamic, so you can change the font size and whether to put room names after the class (like BIOL-104@F224), for printing.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/37358

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 10, 2012

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010

The Wizard of Oz posted:

Like many colleges/universities, my college uses WebAdvisor to handle admissions, course sign up, pretty much everything. Like all WebAdvisor products, it's a worthless piece of poo poo. So I wrote a Greasemonkey script to make it a little bit better, and I've been updating it over the years. The most recent update can do this when you move the mouse over a section once it knows your schedule, so you can easily know where things end up:

The red/green background's mine too - the only point where Camlink tells you there's a conflict with any section and your schedule is if you try to register it. Of course on the real course schedule screen this table's expanded and dynamic, so you can change the font size and whether to put room names after the class (like BIOL-104@F224), for printing.

Neato. Wanna share it? I'm probably taking some courses there this fall.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Persona non grata posted:

Neato. Wanna share it? I'm probably taking some courses there this fall.

Sure, if by "there" you mean Camosun College; other WebAdvisor clients look totally different and won't work.

Edit: I just did a little googling of other ones, and some of them do look pretty similar and would just need some tweaking to get them to parse things properly. I'd integrate changes that make it work for other sites if all I gotta do is copy/paste it, but pay would be required for me to do the work.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 10, 2012

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Just finishing making hella hard secret boss for the shmup I'm working on... (sped up 2X)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpra_lgm9sc

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Haha, having those white pulses come though the holes in its shield is a devilishly good idea.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

seiken posted:

Just finishing making hella hard secret boss for the shmup I'm working on... (sped up 2X)

Man, the colors :pcgaming:

Yeah, that's just cruel with the shots coming out of the gaps, heh.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

seiken posted:

It's like Star Castle in hell. I like how as you destroy the shield it seems to transition from "obstacle in the way" to "vitally useful cover", which is really clever. Shmup fans will probably relish the challenge.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

I did a little blitz on the WebAdvisor processor that made it a whole lot better internally, and added support for the University of Guelph and the University of Winnipeg, in addition to Camosun College. I'm not 100% on it working on them completely since I don't have an account there, but it should almost be okay, and adding more is actually easy.

The one big visible change is that you can now click on green sections while searching for them to add/remove them as test sections, so that they show up on your schedule in blue while hovering over others. So once you've got all the sections you want together, you can just click around for a few minutes and build a schedule really fast. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, it's loving brilliant.

I should really proselytize this more, it's been stuck at 28 users since November 4, and it's really maturing. Nobody should have to use WebAdvisor vanilla, it's truly terrible.

You can give it a try if you just install it, head to Camlink, and search for some sections under the students menu:

https://camlink1.camosun.bc.ca/

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 13, 2012

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

Ask me about who Jewish girls should not marry!

seiken posted:

I would play the hell out of this and recommend my friends to buy it. Excellent work. You should really make that the boss music too, it's fantastic.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

seiken posted:

An amazing rear end in a top hat of a boss - great work!

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

seiken posted:

:stare:

That boss is a dick but also is really awesome in some way I can't put my finger on.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

seiken posted:

I have to say I'm a HUGE fan of Geometry Wars and I have faith this could be a big hit! I want it.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I've mostly been dicking around with teaching myself PHP and ImageMagick in my freetime over the last few weekends by working on a small image-processing/generating project. Essentially, I'm working on a simple app that generates artsy/hipster pictures like what you'd see on blogs like http://icanread.tumblr.com/ by mashing random scraped pithy quotes and interesting Flickr photos together.

An example of a generated picture:

I'm pretty happy at how it's coming together, especially considering this is like a side-side-project to what I'm working on this summer. I still need to quash a bug in saving photos through the right-click context menu, as well as add more filter options besides "slightly film grained" and design the actual site that will host the app, but I'm pretty happy with the way the generator shaped up. :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Dad Jokes posted:

Sell this technology to spammers/scammers. Use it to generate thousands of fake hipster blogs. Make millions.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Dad Jokes posted:

I've mostly been dicking around with teaching myself PHP and ImageMagick in my freetime over the last few weekends by working on a small image-processing/generating project. Essentially, I'm working on a simple app that generates artsy/hipster pictures like what you'd see on blogs like http://icanread.tumblr.com/ by mashing random scraped pithy quotes and interesting Flickr photos together.

I'm pretty happy at how it's coming together, especially considering this is like a side-side-project to what I'm working on this summer. I still need to quash a bug in saving photos through the right-click context menu, as well as add more filter options besides "slightly film grained" and design the actual site that will host the app, but I'm pretty happy with the way the generator shaped up. :)

The only thing I noticed that's bugging me is that the two transparent boxes overlap, and leave a darker grey line. Can you draw the two black boxes, and THEN transform the combined image to be transparent? I don't remember how good ImageMagick is with layers and whatnot, however.

Edit: Otherwise, super super nice, I like it a lot!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jewel posted:

The only thing I noticed that's bugging me is that the two transparent boxes overlap, and leave a darker grey line. Can you draw the two black boxes, and THEN transform the combined image to be transparent? I don't remember how good ImageMagick is with layers and whatnot, however.

Edit: Otherwise, super super nice, I like it a lot!

That or keep the overlay and skew the angles more and go for the whole "taped words on, but poorly on purpose" hipster thing.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I've been working on the toolchain for my 2D game engine lately. The "Campaign Editor" is coming together slowly.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Is that... QuickBasic?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Is that... QuickBasic?

I see indentation and no line numbers, so at least he's on the right track. And hey, interpreted languages are all the rage these days anyway- I'd assume that QBasic on a modern computer is pretty blazing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Is that... QuickBasic?

I hear it's making a comeback in the rails community.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Yes, its QB64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Mug posted:

Yes, its QB64.
Wow, huh, didn't know that was even a thing. :stare:

I've been working on this project for well over a year now. It's a silly web-based text adventure game, with an in-site content creator. You can create game elements with simple forms and have them playable by everyone immediately! :)

I have most of the game functionality in order, and the designer is coming along nicely. Not a lot of content yet as so far I've been doing everything by hand in XML, but once I get the content creator up I might as well crowd-source the entire game, hee hee hee!

Interface looks like complete poo poo since I'm not a web designer but should be usable at least.