Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Canemacar posted:

The proper way to use the trains is to complete the first half of a bounty mission(kill or capture), then instead of going back to town, just jump on the train and defend it against endless waves of train-robbers!

I love learning new things. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Canemacar posted:

The proper way to use the trains is to complete the first half of a bounty mission(kill or capture), then instead of going back to town, just jump on the train and defend it against endless waves of train-robbers!

This is brilliant. Holy poo poo.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Shnag posted:

you take shots until John almost falls backwards and he leaves the bar on his own. 5 or 6 sound about right, so you may have been just a shot away from seeing John plastered.

I like playing "How close to your room can you get before falling and passing out". I think my record is getting on the floor that the room is on.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

nudejedi posted:

I like playing "How close to your room can you get before falling and passing out". I think my record is getting on the floor that the room is on.
Enable "always drunk" cheat. Challenge: Make it from Blackwater to Manzanita Post alive.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

nudejedi posted:

I don't think I've ever tried to get John upstairs when he's drunk, I prefer to steer him in the general direction of the horses' drinking tub and try to make him fall in.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I don't think I've ever tried to get John upstairs when he's drunk, I prefer to steer him in the general direction of the horses' drinking tub and try to make him fall in.

Real men get drunk in Thieves' Landing and then try to make it down the dock and back without drowning. :colbert:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Two things I'm disappointed weren't in the game were train robberies and the ability to pull your weapon when you were drunk. Getting wasted and stumbling out of the bar firing at dogs would be great, and even better if you could get drunk, stumble into someone at a bar and have them challenge you to a drunk quickdraw.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
Finally got Undead Redemption and I must say after finished Red Dead a while ago it is so loving cool to come back as John again. The zombies are drat fast too! Really enjoying it! I'm 48% through with 5 hours play. Hoping It does have another 5 hours of play.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I really loved the gang matches and multiplayer in RDR, I thought it had one of the best 3rd person cover shooter mechanics around. I enjoyed it more than Gears tbh. I know ive played a bunch with some of hte goons here, my tag is pbucch. Anyone want to get something going for Wednesday night? maybe a 5v5 or something?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Canemacar posted:

You sir, are a goddamn hero. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Canemacar posted:

Seriously, how the hell did I not figure this out before. Definitely giving this a shot the next time I play RDR. Wonder how the passengers react.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Any PS3 goons up for some multiplayer? My PSN is DanyullS.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Crappy Jack posted:

Two things I'm disappointed weren't in the game were train robberies and the ability to pull your weapon when you were drunk. Getting wasted and stumbling out of the bar firing at dogs would be great, and even better if you could get drunk, stumble into someone at a bar and have them challenge you to a drunk quickdraw.

I think it also sucks you can't ride your horse while drunk and try to balance your self on it.

edit: If anyone still plays this on xbox you can add me: jewedbacca9916
Times i usually play usually 5-7 EST.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 7, 2012

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

So I'm 70 odd % through Undead Nightmare. I've yet to catch the unicorn and finish the final challenge of 5 kills in 8 seconds with the sniper. Then I think save the rest of the missing people. I can't see that adding up to 100% though...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

isk posted:

Seriously, how the hell did I not figure this out before. Definitely giving this a shot the next time I play RDR. Wonder how the passengers react.

I just hog tied people, laid them on the track, and waited for the train to come.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I had a 2-day gold pass and I tried out RDR multi for the first time, selected "friendly" free roam and people just shot my poor burro from the get go :(

Is that what people just do on the multiplayer? My poor burro never hurt anyone or anything, except maybe my pride.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Hondo82 posted:

I had a 2-day gold pass and I tried out RDR multi for the first time, selected "friendly" free roam and people just shot my poor burro from the get go :(

Is that what people just do on the multiplayer? My poor burro never hurt anyone or anything, except maybe my pride.

Yep. Especially random posse mates.

Thats why you get your molotovs and make them flail. Fuckers. :argh:

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

100% complete of Undead Nightmare. I feel a little lost having nothing left to do.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Have you done a playthrough of the main game on Hardcore with the HUD / map turned completely off?

Then you're not done yet pardner. :clint:

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

Peas and Rice posted:

Have you done a playthrough of the main game on Hardcore with the HUD / map turned completely off?

Then you're not done yet pardner. :clint:

Jesus, no. Haha, I'm just starting to try and finish RDR 100% now.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Man do i feel like an idiot, I've been playing the RDR and undead nightmare campaigns alternately for the first time. I just started talking to Landon Rickets in the vanilla version and upgraded my dead eye. I just realized i played most of the undead nightmare with out painting my targets. I am not sure if it never mentions it to you, or I wasn't paying enough attention to the tutorial. Though, it seems just slowing down time to get head shots actually drains your dead eye much slower than painting targets. :zombie:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I don't think they actually cover painting targets with Dead Eye in Undead Nightmare because I don't think they took into consideration that people might be playing it before they got to that point in the vanilla game.

Also, for shits and grins I climbed on top of the train engine last night and just rode it around (kind of like a screen saver while I was doing some work). Goddamn the game is beautiful, and once again I was struck by the little details they add, like the train pausing at a switch before going in one direction or another as if it were waiting on the tracks to actually move.

Game of the decade.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

My favorite little detail is that a "Woo woo~ :toot:"-ing harmonica kicks in when there's a train running nearby.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, I'm replaying on the 360. I have RDR installed and have never had issues with glitches until now. Basically, NPCs are getting stuck in animations. For example, on the first marshal mission, the marshal was just frozen in a shooting position not moving. The carriage I was riding in got stuck on an NPC who was frozen in mid-walk. It's really weird. Anyone have any idea how I might be able to fix this?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Just in case it wasn't known already, RDR is apparently on sale on Xbox Live Games On Demand for $15 in the US. Not too bad of a deal at all from what I can see.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

So I'm 70 odd % through Undead Nightmare. I've yet to catch the unicorn and finish the final challenge of 5 kills in 8 seconds with the sniper. Then I think save the rest of the missing people. I can't see that adding up to 100% though...
The unicorn spawn is hinky and waity but eventually it does happen. I want to say it tends to happen more at night but it's been awhile since I went looking for it.

For the sniper kills, the easiest is to go to Jorge's Gap in New Austin but be up top of the gorge and not at ground level. There are shitloads of zombies to plink off. Hell, even missing the one you are aiming for will likely hit another one. The bad side is zombie cougars tend to hang out up there. I think what I did was sit right at the entrance of the Gap zoom in deep into the gap with the snipe rifle and start popping heads working far back to front. Once the zombies start getting their gallop on chasing toward you they bunch up real good for multikills.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I thinkning about getting a month's worth of Live, in order to get the online achievements. Any tips or advice for the online mode?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

OldMemes posted:

I thinkning about getting a month's worth of Live, in order to get the online achievements. Any tips or advice for the online mode?

There are a bunch of them that fall under the category of "never going to happen" unless you can get a whole group of people to help you. Then there are some that are easy to farm with a co-op buddy in a private game.

The online freeroam, for a while at least, was something I found more fun than the main game. Just riding around with a friend doing challenges, hunting animals, and getting into gunfights. We wrote our own narratives through gameplay, and it pissed over any of the stuff Marston got into in the main story. We were gunslingers, and this was our playground, and it was awesome.

Yeah, I think I need to play some more multiplayer soon.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yup, freeroam was good for that. When we were ready to take a break from shooting guys, we'd ride up to either(late game stuff)the cave where you rescue Jack from the bear, or Dutch's cozy little hideout and "hide out" there to shoot the poo poo.

Playing cowboys is still fun after all these years.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Peas and Rice posted:

Also, for shits and grins I climbed on top of the train engine last night and just rode it around (kind of like a screen saver while I was doing some work). Goddamn the game is beautiful, and once again I was struck by the little details they add, like the train pausing at a switch before going in one direction or another as if it were waiting on the tracks to actually move.

Game of the decade.

I'm not sure if it's because my rose-tinted glasses are dusty or what, but thinking back to all of the games I've ever played (mid-80's to current) none of them makes as strong of a case as my favorite than RDR. It's just slathered with atmosphere and looks and feels like a plausible real-world environment; no where does it look like the devs just mailed it in by clone-stamping the same terrain and foliage all over. They also really nailed the lighting -- flat and yellowish in the morning, bright and bloomy in the afternoon and glowy orangish in the evening. It's almost palpable.

I've beaten it several times over, but now the itch is back again so I picked up the Game of the Year edition so I can play some Hardcore. :clint:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I popped this back in the a couple days ago because I've been rewatching Justified and I got the itch to be a badass gunslinger. I decided to check out the Undead dlc because when it first came out, I thought it was just a couple quests or something trying to cash in on the zombie craze, I didn't realize it was a whole new game.

So I started playing that an hour or so ago.

I'm about 15 minutes in Doing the Sasquatch quest, I killed my first one and then when I got close to the body I got a message saying a Mythological creature had appeared. I thought it was probably just something stupid since I know there's jackalopes and horned goats and stuff but then I saw a horse run by. I chased after it and finally caught it, tames it, and that's how I got Pestilence at the very beginning of the game. I'm not going to use another horse until I get Famine or War, the infinite stamina is just too useful.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

The unicorn spawn is hinky and waity but eventually it does happen. I want to say it tends to happen more at night but it's been awhile since I went looking for it.

For the sniper kills, the easiest is to go to Jorge's Gap in New Austin but be up top of the gorge and not at ground level. There are shitloads of zombies to plink off. Hell, even missing the one you are aiming for will likely hit another one. The bad side is zombie cougars tend to hang out up there. I think what I did was sit right at the entrance of the Gap zoom in deep into the gap with the snipe rifle and start popping heads working far back to front. Once the zombies start getting their gallop on chasing toward you they bunch up real good for multikills.

I got the sniper kills there but in a VERY easy way. Coated the bullets with phosphorus and made about 5/6 shots and got the challenge.

Anyone feel that the Django Unchained trailer is heavily influenced by RDR?

The first trailer I thought yes but my girlfriend said it's a western they all pretty much look like that.

Fair call, then I saw the second trailer where the character intros turned cartoon and red like the loading screen for RDR.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

Fair call, then I saw the second trailer where the character intros turned cartoon and red like the loading screen for RDR.

Dude, that's the opening credits to every spaghetti western ever. Tarantino has 60 years of cinema westerns to pay homage to, he's not going to homage a video game that came out a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG1fmfZGuWw

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
I love Jack's horrible adolescent facial hair--it's the "I can't quite grow a goatee," if memory serves. They really nailed his empty posturing.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I got the sniper kills there but in a VERY easy way. Coated the bullets with phosphorus and made about 5/6 shots and got the challenge.
Aww poo poo, I forgot about the phosphorus bullets. :downs:

That's exactly how I did it too.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

Son of a bitch.

I lassoed them all together.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Son of a bitch.

I lassoed them all together.
If you aren't being sarcastic that's hardcore as gently caress.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

yourmometer posted:

I love Jack's horrible adolescent facial hair--it's the "I can't quite grow a goatee," if memory serves. They really nailed his empty posturing.

His big fat head clips through a stupid unlockable hat that only he can wear.

ROCKSTAR!! :argh:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
If I remember right, playing this years ago, there was some way to set your brightness/contrast/saturation to make the game look even better. Anyone remember what that was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Robnoxious posted:

If you aren't being sarcastic that's hardcore as gently caress.

I'm not, it took a long drat time :( Not sure what it was but once I started roping them together, maybe had two or three tied up, they would stop spawning and I couldn't travel very far away or the ones I had captured would despawn :argh:

• Locked thread