Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

mootmoot posted:

Ugh I've just found out what Bandits look like. It is not an attractive bike

Well, if you start by throwing it down the tarmac like it's a goddamn Daytona, it'll probably be hard to tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mootmoot posted:

I love it that my opinions are so outrageous to you that you assume I'm trolling.

No, I don't assume anything. Your posting and riding history makes me know you're a goddamn idiot.

You're irresponsible, immature and a bad rider. 600cc is too much bike for you to handle. The sooner you realize this and get a smaller bike, the better.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

You're irresponsible, immature and a bad rider. 600cc is too much bike for you to handle. The sooner you realize this and get a smaller bike, the better.

I'm unsure here. There are several contradicting considerations. Actually a heavily tuned liter-bike might be the better option.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

mootmoot posted:

just to make sure people dont recognise me on it

This just makes me wonder if you're old enough to be allowed to use the irc.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Don't listen to these guys, mootmoot, you'll always be welcome in IRC. We welcome all mootmoots and revile all z3ns.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Mootmoot, what naked bike(s) do you like?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I guess I'm touched in the head, because I think the Bandit is a fuckin awesome looking bike. :(

Wait that was mootmoot. Nvm

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I agree. Bandits 400-1250cc are sharp bikes. I'd be happy to ride (or crash I suppose) any of them.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mootmoot posted:

You're kidding me. You crashed yours as well?

IIRC I started the trend :colbert:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I had a 1250SEA for a couple of years. It was a good bike, but not a great bike. I never loved it, but I enjoyed riding it.

It will wheelie in loving near every gear though. An absolute torque monster.

Speaking of monsters, now I ride one! Monsters are fantastic fun, but the Bandit never stranded me in ~25k km and the Monster spent 3.5 of the first 6 months I owned it in the shop.

Whee!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Why didn't you love your Bandit? The weight? The handling?

I certainly like the looks of those things, but everybody who mentions owning a Bandit also implies a :unsmith: trait to ownership.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I love mine. Gen2s look a bit goofy with a fearing. Otherwise I equate them to the sedans of motorcycles. Dependable and flexible. Cheap to own, run, and insure. Suspension is the biggest thing going against it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

the walkin dude posted:

Why didn't you love your Bandit? The weight? The handling?

Yes. And more. It's just... bland. Without character.

the walkin dude posted:

I certainly like the looks of those things, but everybody who mentions owning a Bandit also implies a :unsmith: trait to ownership.

That's just it. They're reasonable bikes, reasonably capable, reasonably quick, but just... :unsmith: Until you over-cook a corner with one, anyway. Then they're :frogsiren:

I never hated it. Just never loved it. Tough to say why. Not my kind of bike, I guess.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The curse of powerfully inadequate suspension. Every motor is great with a great suspension, I think.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The Bandit 1200 (1216?) I got with the 'busa shock and new reworked forks handles pretty nicely. :unsmith:

Still, I just feel like the bike isn't nearly as fun as the SV. I can't even get half way past the start of the power band before I'm already risking a reckless driving ticket. :smith:

I was next to a GSXR-750 today at a stoplight, about to enter the freeway. When the light turned green, I got it into second gear and hamfisted it to 10k. I looked back and he was gone. :stare:

I'm already certain the next two bikes I'm owning after college are a Daytona 675 and KTM 690 SMC. At that point I'll have every end of the spectrum for motorcycles, to match my spectrum personality. :geno:

edit: holy emotes

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Xovaan posted:

The Bandit 1200 (1216?) I got with the 'busa shock and new reworked forks handles pretty nicely. :unsmith:

Still, I just feel like the bike isn't nearly as fun as the SV. I can't even get half way past the start of the power band before I'm already risking a reckless driving ticket. :smith:

I was next to a GSXR-750 today at a stoplight, about to enter the freeway. When the light turned green, I got it into second gear and hamfisted it to 10k. I looked back and he was gone. :stare:

I'm already certain the next two bikes I'm owning after college are a Daytona 675 and KTM 690 SMC. At that point I'll have every end of the spectrum for motorcycles, to match my spectrum personality. :geno:

edit: holy emotes

Dr. Cornelius to the rescue. I know exactly how you feel. What you need is a second bike. A small frame, twisty harmless bike. Like an RD350YPVS.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Can I even find one of those in the US though? And I don't even think I could fit on one with my inseam which is the reason I got the bandit in the first place :v: (36")

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Xovaan posted:

I can't even get half way past the start of the power band before I'm already risking a reckless driving ticket. :smith:

I can't even wind out 3rd gear on my Bandit 600 before getting into "this is going to get very expensive very fast" territory anywhere but on the motorway.

Seriously, my next bike is going to be a thumper or a twin and probably not over 600cc capacity, hitting the top of the rev range on a four is highly addictive, but will bite you in the rear end because you'll be going way too fast.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Gear them :v: 2nd gear is still fun to play with on back roads.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I don't think adding teeth would do anything because if I were able to actually accelerate in the power band around town it means the motorcycle would likely turn upside down. :saddowns:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sir Cornelius posted:

Dr. Cornelius to the rescue. I know exactly how you feel. What you need is a second bike. A small frame, twisty harmless bike. Like an RD350YPVS.

It's so loving hard to justify spending that kind of coin on a bike like that.

But I'm going to do it eventually, because drat.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Xovaan posted:

Can I even find one of those in the US though? And I don't even think I could fit on one with my inseam which is the reason I got the bandit in the first place :v: (36")

Don't know about the US, but there's plenty of them in Europe. I've got a couple.

I think you'll fit just fine. The LCII isn't that small. I'm 186cm or apparently 6.1023622 feet in your space units, and I've got plenty of room to find a comfortable riding position. My brother is 195 cm (6.3976378 moon units) and is able to ride the one without a clip-on just fine.

They're really fun 60 Hp mopeds with a surprisingly smooth powerband due to the dynamic exhaust port valve ;)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Xovaan posted:

That's certainly :unsmith:

That kinda acceleration's great for occasional bouts of balls-fueled fury and 2-up riding, but not for around town/cities (like my 636 deftly showed me), yeah. But the ability to slingshot oneself past 100 mph in the time it takes to do a sharp intake breath, is intoxicating... Especially coupled with seeing how long you can get away with not getting ticketed for speeding. I miss that :smith:

Oh yeah, I had to give my GF the Suzuki gel seat in our SV "trade" so I'm stuck with the normal seat. It certainly makes a difference upon my legs (with my SV of stock tail-height). :-/ I'm thinking of going for Buell foot pegs if I can't find a replacement riser-seat for cheap (the seat, comfort-wise is adequate).

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 4, 2012

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005
Thanks for the awesome support guys.. Glad instead of sympathizing with an accident, my speed prior is more interesting.

auruspex fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 4, 2012

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

auruspex posted:

In the end, the cop assigned no charges for the crash since he was over the line and I rolled the stop, and he refused to give the guy a blow test despite his obvious signs of inebriation (and stench of beer).

How does this happen? I don't get it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gently caress it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 4, 2012

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

How does this happen? I don't get it.

Less paperwork. He knew the guy. Laziness. No serious injuries, let the insurance companies dick it out.

He didn't feel like doing his job.

VVVV If that is the case, I will apologize and edit this post. It's new to me!

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 4, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Instead of hating on the cop I'd look up how liability in a parking lot works in your state. I don't think they ever assign blame in parking lots here. I'm stupid careful in them as a result. Not to mention you were essentially in his lane. If I saw you right here and I was were he was, I might assume you were going left and try to cut under you.

Good luck on getting any money out of him.

edit: give your insurance the video and let them sort it out

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 4, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You really should be watching your speed through a parking lot like that. Nobody is expecting people to go zooming through that at 30mph or whatever you were doing. It's a very good way to get hit.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

n8r posted:

You really should be watching your speed through a parking lot like that. Nobody is expecting people to go zooming through that at 30mph or whatever you were doing. It's a very good way to get hit.

Seriously, the first thing I thought was holy poo poo he's going way to fast for a parking lot. One car backs out and you're done.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

BlackLaser posted:

Seriously, the first thing I thought was holy poo poo he's going way to fast for a parking lot. One car backs out and you're done.

Exactly. Talking fault and responsibility is pretty pointless if you've got a broken spine.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005
Well I guess thanks to the supportive people. I figured most would be more supportive about the accident then nitpicking my speed prior which had nothing to do with the accident.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't post here much.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Hey bro we just don't want to see you get seriously hurt ok bro? Don't be all harshed by our concern that you may actually hurt yourself with your radical parking lot hoonage.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

n8r posted:

Hey bro we just don't want to see you get seriously hurt ok bro? Don't be all harshed by our concern that you may actually hurt yourself with your radical parking lot hoonage.

I didn't realize I was asking for you to critique my riding/speed in a parking lot I know and have rode in daily for the past 3 years. Maybe I misread the thread but I thought the focus was the crash which, again, to clarify, had nothing to do with my speed.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

We're pretty big on personal responsibility here at CA, while that cops a Dick and the guy's at fault and likely drunk you might have avoided all this aggravation by slowing down in a parking lot.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDFS_zB_z88&feature=player_embedded

Here's the link of the dude going forty through the wet parking lot on the wrong side of road.

It wasn't really your fault you got hit but riding parking lot for three years doesn't mean you know each car is going to pull out. You even had a sketchy moment with another car before the one that hit you. I'm really sorry some dumbass hit you and I'm glad you're okay dude. Also glad the damage is minimal to your bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

auruspex posted:

I didn't realize I was asking for you to critique my riding/speed in a parking lot I know and have rode in daily for the past 3 years. Maybe I misread the thread but I thought the focus was the crash which, again, to clarify, had nothing to do with my speed.

In retrospect I think this accident was mostly your fault. You were coming into a T intersection where you need to yield to traffic. You shouldn't have pulled out anywhere near the guy. He should have seen you, but relying on drivers to see you is a bad policy that will get you run over.

Edit: Heh - didn't even notice you blowing the stop sign.

n8r fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 4, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

n8r posted:

In retrospect I think this accident was mostly your fault. You were coming into a T intersection where you need to yield to traffic. You shouldn't have pulled out anywhere near the guy. He should have seen you, but relying on drivers to see you is a bad policy that will get you run over.

Also, if would've stopped at the stop sign (on the right side of the road) it would've never happened either.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

front wing flexing posted:

Also, if would've stopped at the stop sign (on the right side of the road) it would've never happened either.

A little reaction time and swinging in tighter to the curb would have avoided it too. Rule of tonnage and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I'm a new rider but from what I've seen here, the goons are very supportive of other riders, and that's expressed by being adhering firmly to the rules of the road and reminding others to do the same (for the most part at least).

Sometimes the most supportive thing one could do is to offer advice on how to avoid similar situations next time, and to point out safety issues. :shobon:

And yes, that driver was a real dick.

• Locked thread