Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there any reason to use this over Pocket?

It might get better? Knowing Arment I wouldn't count on it though and I haven't found a reason to shell out 3 bucks to someone that hates the platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It might get better? Knowing Arment I wouldn't count on it though and I haven't found a reason to shell out 3 bucks to someone that hates the platform.

Seriously. Dude basically said, "I don't like you, but I like your money." I understand that's basically how the business world works, but, poo poo, at least most people will pretend!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
To be fair though, an app is an app and if it's good I'll usually pay for it instead of finding a free alternative. Instapaper for Android is lacking some pretty key features when compared to the iOS version. Between Arment's extremely vocal / negative opinions regarding Android and his use of a third party to port it I don't think it will see timely updates and will probably lag behind the iOS version quite badly.

Pocket is awesome, free and plugs into Flipboard. I would definitely pay money for it if they asked.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Still don't understand why Read it Later went free when they changed their name to Pocket. It's one of the most used apps I have on my phone and I certainly don't regret paying for it when it wasn't free.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Apparently they plan to make it a subscription service since it doesn't make sense for them to charge a flat fee for users who use the service for 3+ years.

Can pocket be used as a normal RSS reader or can it only view articles I saved?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ragingsheep posted:

subscription service

Ugh I hate this so much.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Oh god, please be kidding. There's no way I would pay for a subscription service :-/

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I dunno, some things are worth subs if they make the price negligible for the time period, and if it's something that gets used literally every day. I could never justify paying for Spotify, since I have a huge iTunes library, but Netflix is a no-brainer.

I'd easily shell out :10bux: a year for my SA account.

(Lowtax has an iPhone, right?)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Manky posted:

I dunno, some things are worth subs if they make the price negligible for the time period, and if it's something that gets used literally every day. I could never justify paying for Spotify, since I have a huge iTunes library, but Netflix is a no-brainer.

I'd easily shell out :10bux: a year for my SA account.

(Lowtax has an iPhone, right?)

If they want continual revenue than maybe they should look at ads in a free version. The bulk of Android's userbase already have a problem paying once for apps let alone a subscription.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I'm having trouble finding a good music player that organizes the library as well as iTunes. There are some basic sorting features that I honestly am having trouble finding in any player.

1. The biggest is multi-disc albums. I have one album in particular in iTunes that has Disc 1 and Disc 2. On Disc 1, we have tracks 1-12. On Disc 2, we have tracks 1-13. In iTunes, it understands to sort by disc then by track. Every player I've tried on my Droid lumps them all together, so track 1 disc 1 and track 1 disc 2 play back to back. It's annoying especially since the album in question consists of gapless tracks.

2. Album artist. Several albums I have are compilations, so iTunes understands to sort by album artist. Every player on the Droid seems to just grab a random artist from a track (not even the first track as far as I can tell) and claim that's the artist for said album.

3. The other slight annoyance (although minor) is that disc 2 has different album art than disc 1. Itunes can display art fine based on the current track playing, but the Droid apps all just grab the first track's art.

Admittedly, #3 is a minor annoyance. If that one really can't be fixed, I'm not going to lose sleep. However, I find 1 and 2 to be fairly frustrating given the time I've spent sperging out and organizing my iTunes library "just so" over the years. There has to be some app or method of sorting that I'm missing.

I should mention, if push comes to shove, I'm not necessarily opposed to migrating my PC's library over to an entirely different piece of software, provided it's a relatively painless process. I just want something I know will be easy to organize, retag, etc.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Ragingsheep posted:

Apparently they plan to make it a subscription service since it doesn't make sense for them to charge a flat fee for users who use the service for 3+ years.

Pocket won't read RSS feeds. The official Chrome extension pops a little Pocket icon next to item titles in Google Reader, though, which is sometimes useful; I just wish the extension used local storage, rather than just a tool to add URLs to your online Pocket account.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If they want continual revenue than maybe they should look at ads in a free version. The bulk of Android's userbase already have a problem paying once for apps let alone a subscription.

I wonder why nobody has tried to implement a usage-based payment plan. They're already able to monitor usage - why not just make it so that heavy users get a pop-up, like, "Hey, we've noticed you've been using this app every day for the past year. Why not give us $10 to keep using it?" For light users, don't bother charging them. Implement some kind of sliding scale for occasional users, light users, intermittent heavy users, heavy users.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

l33t b4c0n posted:

I'm having trouble finding a good music player that organizes the library as well as iTunes. There are some basic sorting features that I honestly am having trouble finding in any player.

1. The biggest is multi-disc albums. I have one album in particular in iTunes that has Disc 1 and Disc 2. On Disc 1, we have tracks 1-12. On Disc 2, we have tracks 1-13. In iTunes, it understands to sort by disc then by track. Every player I've tried on my Droid lumps them all together, so track 1 disc 1 and track 1 disc 2 play back to back. It's annoying especially since the album in question consists of gapless tracks.

2. Album artist. Several albums I have are compilations, so iTunes understands to sort by album artist. Every player on the Droid seems to just grab a random artist from a track (not even the first track as far as I can tell) and claim that's the artist for said album.

3. The other slight annoyance (although minor) is that disc 2 has different album art than disc 1. Itunes can display art fine based on the current track playing, but the Droid apps all just grab the first track's art.

Admittedly, #3 is a minor annoyance. If that one really can't be fixed, I'm not going to lose sleep. However, I find 1 and 2 to be fairly frustrating given the time I've spent sperging out and organizing my iTunes library "just so" over the years. There has to be some app or method of sorting that I'm missing.

I should mention, if push comes to shove, I'm not necessarily opposed to migrating my PC's library over to an entirely different piece of software, provided it's a relatively painless process. I just want something I know will be easy to organize, retag, etc.

PowerAmp supports your first issue properly, but so far as I'm aware doesn't fix your second issue (if anyone knows otherwise let me know as I use PowerAmp and would love to be able to have an album artist listing). I've no idea about issue 3 as it's not something I've come across.

There's a free trial version of PowerAmp so you can give it a try and see if it works for you.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I just came across a writeup of that app that did indeed mention all three of my issues. I'll give it a try and buy it if it looks good.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

l33t b4c0n posted:

I just came across a writeup of that app that did indeed mention all three of my issues. I'll give it a try and buy it if it looks good.

If you get anywhere with your second issue please post back and let us know. At the moment if I want to browse by artist in PowerAmp I have to use the folder view (my folders are "<Artist> - <Album>") because I have quite a few compilations and albums with guest artists on particular tracks which has made the library's artist listing unworkable.

edit:
Actually can you post a link to the writeup? I wouldn't mind taking a look myself to see if I can figure out how they've got it working.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Ragingsheep posted:

You can use If This Then That to do that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So the new Swiftkey 3 beta version still doesn't work with Handcent popups :(

Edit: Wait, it does work sometimes..

explosivo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 5, 2012

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

l33t b4c0n posted:

My biggest peeve with every Android music player is the lack of support for multiple artists and genres, split by semi-colons or slashes or whatever. In foobar2000 I have like 100 genres that cover all of my enormous library, but in every Android player (and iTunes) it's "Acoustic;Singer-Songwriter;Folk;Folk Rock" or whatever so it's 3000 useless genres. Basically it makes genre a completely useless tag, since almost no song really fits just one genre tag without making them meaninglessly vague.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There's plenty of options to view my PC screen on my phone. VLC clients and Splashtop come to mind.

What about the reverse? Back in the day when I had a Windows Mobile phone, there was a sweet app that showed my phone on my PC screen and allowed me to interact with it. I assume I need a VLC server, but searches for that mostly bring up VLC clients.

Anyone using something for this that they like?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thermopyle posted:

There's plenty of options to view my PC screen on my phone. VLC clients and Splashtop come to mind.

What about the reverse? Back in the day when I had a Windows Mobile phone, there was a sweet app that showed my phone on my PC screen and allowed me to interact with it. I assume I need a VLC server, but searches for that mostly bring up VLC clients.

Ooh, I remember that app. MyMobiler or something like that. I used the hell out of it. Made texting while I was at work insanely easy since I could just use my keyboard.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Can any Minimalist Text user help me figure out how to link to the phone dialer? I've been trying to figure it out all morning and just can't find the correct shortcut.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Thermopyle posted:

I know WebKey does this, but requires root and has mixed results.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Thermopyle posted:

Did you mean VNC?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.onaips.vnc&hl=en

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Just to point out, that one also requires root - I guess that's going to be a common factor for any app which offers this service.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

rolleyes posted:

Just to point out, that one also requires root - I guess that's going to be a common factor for any app which offers this service.

Sorry yes I should've mentioned that. Due to security concerns this will be necessary for any app that does something like this.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

It didn't do what I wanted it to whilst trying it out, and it's not exactly what you're describing, but AirDroid is actually pretty brilliant for what it is, and worth a try.

EDIT... \/\/ Or there's that. Aces!

Editedit... Ah, the VNC one doesn't seem to work without root, which I don't have at the moment. Must read thread properly... I'll make do with Airdroid for now.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 5, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hah! Yes I did. Thanks.

BluDiE
Jan 2, 2008

Don't you get it?!?
Everybody loses, now
THAT's WINNING!

Thermopyle posted:

If you don't need to see the actual screen itself AirDroid is quite useful for this.
[Edit : Curses, beaten to the punch.]

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Are there any pdf viewers out there that will let you zoom a page to get past it's margins then remember that zoom from page to page?

I use ezPDF and Aldiko Premium to read PDFs on my Transformer Prime, and in each case I can't just 'pin' the screen to the part of the page I want. Aldiko resets the zoom each time I hit page advance, and ezPDF just sucks with their zoomed page advance.

I'm reading an ebook people I don't need 2 inch margins, I have margins already it's called the bezel of the drat device!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
There's a tool only available on the intranet at work that I need to use occasionaly on my GNex (away from the office). I bought PocketCloud and that allows me to fully remote into my computer at work, but for this tool in particular I only need to be logged into the VPN and type the address of this web tool into my browser, and not necessarily be remoted into the computer. I looked on the Play store for VPNs, but are there any in particular that would do this particularly well, and are secure?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
So this new On{X} thing is pretty incredible.

1) It's a free mashup of If This Then That, Tasker, and Locale
2) You create "recipes" (eg: Tasker profiles) using a Javascript API that connects to the OnX server
3) These recipes are easily shareable so it doesn't really lock out non-programmers

ANNNNNND

4) It's developed by Microsoft and isn't available for Windows Phone or iOS. (this is what nudges it into incredible btw)

So hey, finally a win for Android's unsandboxed background service model I guess! Seriously though, this poo poo is really cool and probably almost infinitely extensible due using an actual API and an actual scripting language.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 5, 2012

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Leathal posted:

So this new On{X} thing is pretty incredible.

1) It's a free mashup of If This Then That, Tasker, and Locale
2) You create "recipes" (eg: Tasker profiles) using a Javascript API that connects to the OnX server
3) These recipes are easily shareable so it doesn't really lock out non-programmers

ANNNNNND

4) It's developed by Microsoft and isn't available for Windows Phone or iOS. (this is what nudges it into incredible btw)

So hey, finally a win for Android's unsandboxed background service model I guess! Seriously though, this poo poo is really cool and probably almost infinitely extensible due using an actual API and an actual scripting language.

This actually might be useful and I too love the irony of an Android-only Microsoft app. However the app requires you to login via Facebook and the market reviews currently 'reflect' that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sereri posted:

the app requires you to login via Facebook

What the gently caress? Why is this a thing now?

Ugh.

Edit: Holy loving :lol::lol: Is this as bad as it looks? It probably isn't but I still find it hilarious.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 5, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sereri posted:

This actually might be useful and I too love the irony of an Android-only Microsoft app. However the app requires you to login via Facebook and the market reviews currently 'reflect' that.

Yeah that was my thought. "Hey this looks pretty awes... oh."

:negative:

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Sereri posted:

One of the app developers posts on hackernews; apparently the team at MS wanted a simple one-click signup and were nice enough to stay away from Windows Live but didn't realize Android had built-in authing through Google for some reason. So they went with Facebook for the beta.

He basically went "Oh gently caress, you can do that? Welp, it'll be in the next update."

So yeah, I wouldn't necessarily assume they're trying to data harvest but I guess wait for the update to push to Google Play if you're paranoid.

Edit: Guess I'm bad at skimming an article because I looked again and they WERE aware of Google authing but chose FB anyways for the initial release.

Either way, the info they're pulling from FB is the bare minimum and literally the exact same info they'd get from authing with Google (id, name, profile pic/link, language, gender).

Not sure why I'm defending MS over a neat free app, just trying to fend off the immediate MY E-PRIVACY derail.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 5, 2012

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
The webpage won't even open for me to look at it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Another issue is that, due to the name, it's basically impossible to find it by searching in the Play Store.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.onx.app

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Ok so I just happened to look at my own profile on Facebook only to discover that I'd "liked" a link to on{X}. I certainly didn't do this intentionally, so either I accidentally hit something on the site or it does this automatically if possible. Note that I've only looked at on{X} on my phone and at no point have I installed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rolleyes posted:

Ok so I just happened to look at my own profile on Facebook only to discover that I'd "liked" a link to on{X}. I certainly didn't do this intentionally, so either I accidentally hit something on the site or it does this automatically if possible. Note that I've only looked at on{X} on my phone and at no point have I installed it.

I've been in and out of their site and haven't had anything added to my FB so I'm guessing you might have accidentally bumped one of the thumbsup buttons

• Locked thread