Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mighty Horse posted:

The shared plans arent on tap until september-ish...

Before a certian new handset is released, but its not an android one.

I'm hoping the change will give enough time to be able to utilize the Costco 90-day return policy. If I can manage to get my wife a new iPhone AND keep unlimited data, I'll be flush in blowjobs for the next 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Costco doesn't sell iPhones.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Costco doesn't sell iPhones.

Well gently caress. I'll have to find another method, then. Maybe they'll change with the new one, who knows.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Well gently caress. I'll have to find another method, then. Maybe they'll change with the new one, who knows.

Nope. Apple is really, really.....really restrictive about who can get an iPhone and I know Costco doesn't do business in a manner that would agree with it.

Did I mention Apple is really restrictive? (Don't ask me how the gently caress Walmart got it, but then again, they are MASSIVE)

The only reason most smaller retailers like me got it, was the sales of the iPhone 4 were total poo poo and they went into panic mode for a bit, when the 4S came out they couldnt exactly lock us out.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I really want the Galaxy S III, but I really want to not give Samsung anymore money ever after the Droid Charge's unbelievable lack of support and the Galaxy Nexus's wildly lovely radio hardware. You can probably put money on the GS III having worse radios than the RAZR/RAZR Maxx.

The problem is, nobody else is building anything I want.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you already have a Galaxy Nexus, why would the SGSIII be a compelling purchase anyways?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

For most people, nothing. For spergs like me, well, it's a no-brainer. Clarification here.

I'm going to tread cautiously with the GS III. No purchasing until CM9 or AOKP is mature and ready to go (never again, TouchWiz). Anyone who purchases a GS III over the GNex without being an audio-sperg is basically doing it wrong.

This would be a lot easier for me if the Droid Fighter just shipped with a Wolfson DAC, heh.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I really hope there is something official on the RAZR HD/Fighter soon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

stormrider posted:

I really hope there is something official on the RAZR HD/Fighter soon.

Speculation right now is that Moto may push it back so as not to directly compete with the SGSIII launch.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Speculation right now is that Moto may push it back so as not to directly compete with the SGSIII launch.

That's it. I'm writing my congressman.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

PitViper posted:

I just want the better possibility of a rootable/flashable phone, so I'd rather not go Motorola.

The only thing you can't do is install custom kernels (and there's some sort of work on a "second bootloader/kernel" project anyways). My D4 is rooted, for example.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57447129-1/android-4.0-for-droid-razr-delayed-verizon-says-june-12/

June 12th sounds about right for the Razr ICS update; I'd really like to see ICS on my Maxx before Q3.

Then again, I really don't see how seeing as how there hasn't been a soak test yet. I really don't want to go the route of a rom since there's a locked bootloader and reports of all kinds of not working bits and problems in general. Argh.

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 5, 2012

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Just an FYI, double data for 4G ends today.

Also had a last minute scheduled conference call, that got canceled at the last minute yesterday about commissions, so they are getting ready for something. But I don't think it will effect consumers yet.

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004
I was messing around on my phone this morning, and it appears Verizon is testing 4g in Binghamton, NY today. Speeds are only ok right now, but I don't know if that's indicative of final speeds.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

bull3964 posted:

Yeah I've heard this as well, not until fall :(

xnonfactor
Jan 13, 2006

"Hey, Shaun, look who it is!" "F#@K-A-DOODLE-DO!"

mrchina posted:

Galaxy S III announced to drop at the end of the month. Hopefully data plans don't change till after its released.

I pre-ordered a 16gb white SIII this morning and was able to keep the $29.99 unlimited data package. The ship date said by 7/6/12, but I would suspect shipment somewhere around the 20th since all other carriers are releasing on that day as well. Historically phone releases have been around 2 weeks after pre-orders go up.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

What is the advantage of pre-ordering the SG3? Just knowing you'll get it if it gets backordered on release?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mighty Horse posted:

Just an FYI, double data for 4G ends today.

Also had a last minute scheduled conference call, that got canceled at the last minute yesterday about commissions, so they are getting ready for something. But I don't think it will effect consumers yet.

Just curious, do you know if it's positive or negative for you guys on commissions? One thing I've noticed with the cost of cell phones is carriers try to take some of it from commissions, which is drat irritating.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
IMM76K finally came through for me yesterday, too. I updated at about 9 am CST with 90% battery left pre-update. Here I am, 24 hours later, with 50% battery left. I left Wi-Fi on all day, as well. Screen was on auto brightness and I used the phone for a couple of hours throughout the day. I don't want to get hopes up, but my battery is lasting at least three times as long as it was with 4.0.2.

Edit: also gonna note that the screen dims after a few seconds, even if brightness is set to max. Finally time to show off this beautiful screen without using half of the battery.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 6, 2012

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bloodplay it again posted:

IMM76K finally came through for me yesterday, too. I updated at about 9 am CST with 90% battery left pre-update. Here I am, 24 hours later, with 50% battery left. I left Wi-Fi on all day, as well. Screen was on auto brightness and I used the phone for a couple of hours throughout the day. I don't want to get hopes up, but my battery is lasting at least three times as long as it was with 4.0.2.

Edit: also gonna note that the screen dims after a few seconds, even if brightness is set to max. Finally time to show off this beautiful screen without using half of the battery.

LTE enabled or just on CDMA mode?

xnonfactor
Jan 13, 2006

"Hey, Shaun, look who it is!" "F#@K-A-DOODLE-DO!"

Duckman2008 posted:

Just curious, do you know if it's positive or negative for you guys on commissions? One thing I've noticed with the cost of cell phones is carriers try to take some of it from commissions, which is drat irritating.

Commissions in wireless are a roller coaster. The commission structures are changed on a yearly basis. For the most part continuing to go down.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Looks like the Galaxy Nexus is a penny with new contracts nowadays.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Amazon does that with brand new phones as well. You have to have service for at least six months. The GNex is still 200 bucks at Verizon, or 150 at Amazon.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

kensei posted:

LTE enabled or just on CDMA mode?

CDMA. LTE isn't in my area.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like Incredible 4G launches June 21st and the SGSIII a week later.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
C'mon droid fighter!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
After getting 4.0.4 on my GNex, I'm at 82% after 8 hours with charging while driving home from work (which takes about 15 minutes. Phone idle finally takes up more than Android OS.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CDMA. LTE isn't in my area.

CDMA I have life for about two days. LTE and I am done after about 8 hours.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

kensei posted:

CDMA I have life for about two days. LTE and I am done after about 8 hours.

If that's the case, once LTE hits my region, I'll probably just switch over to LTE only when I need it for moderate use. I wish I had this update two weeks ago when I went to a music festival. I really wanted to use my phone to record videos with my friends, but my phone was dead before noon the second day (with airplane mode turned on, lowest possible brightness, and very light usage) and five of the eight available MicroUSB chargers were broken.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

If that's the case, once LTE hits my region, I'll probably just switch over to LTE only when I need it for moderate use. I wish I had this update two weeks ago when I went to a music festival. I really wanted to use my phone to record videos with my friends, but my phone was dead before noon the second day (with airplane mode turned on, lowest possible brightness, and very light usage) and five of the eight available MicroUSB chargers were broken.

The battery life on my Bionic has been better since 4G came on for me. Might want to check it out for a few days first.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

metachronos posted:

C'mon droid fighter!

Yeah, I'm pretty much :negative: every day at this point.

To make matters worse, there was a new news result on a google search for "droid razr HD" that was only 11 hours old. "A release date, finally!" I thought to myself. Then I looked closer.

It was for that stupid HD dock for the Droid Razr.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Why has everyone slept on the Rezound? It has the nicest screen out of any Verizon phone and HTC actually updates their hardware. Sense is decent too. V happy with this phone.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Why has everyone slept on the Rezound? It has the nicest screen out of any Verizon unit and HTC actually updates their phones. Sense is decent too. V happy with this phone.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

TenaciousTomato posted:

Why has everyone slept on the Rezound? It has the nicest screen out of any Verizon phone and HTC actually updates their hardware. Sense is decent too. V happy with this phone.
I passed on it because the extended battery options all seemed pretty awful. I carry two 2100 mAh batteries with my GNex and that seems to do just about right. It's lame that you've gotta spend an extra $25 for the battery that should have come with the phone in the first place, but in fairness I'd say the 2100 mAh GNex battery is the second-nicest-looking extended battery we've seen, behind the RAZR Maxx's 3300 mAh battery of course.

Also Sense is just as offensive as ever IMO, but I'm pretty sure there are custom ROMs for the Rezound that strip that out so it's sort of a non-factor.

kbar fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 7, 2012

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is the S3 likely to get an extended battery kit? I didn't see one on Samsung's website yet but they do have some for other models. If I can get a big battery for it that takes away my big reservation for getting one.

If Moto doesn't want to let me buy their new phone then I guess I won't. :colbert:

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 7, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Are the batteries in G'Nexs' and such that bad? My razr used to last most of the day with pretty steady use but I just rooted it recently and put the eclipse GB rom on and bought SetCPU and now it's still at 20% after being on from 7AM to midnight with music listening and such all day.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TenaciousTomato posted:

It has an amazing screen, but it has poor battery life and is still running Gingerbread. The screen type and size were exactly what I wanted in a phone, but everything else was wrong, so i got the Galaxy Nexus instead.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It has an amazing screen, but it has poor battery life and is still running Gingerbread. The screen type and size were exactly what I wanted in a phone, but everything else was wrong, so i got the Galaxy Nexus instead.

Battery life isn't that bad, if you're on WiFi at least half of the day you can easily make it till you get somewhere to charge. And it will (hopefully) be updated to ICS soon. Screen/radios/build quality are all better.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Battery life isn't that bad, if you're on WiFi at least half of the day you can easily make it till you get somewhere to charge. And it will (hopefully) be updated to ICS soon. Screen/radios/build quality are all better.

My buddy has a lot of different HTC phones he tests. While he was happy with the phone when he first got it he did nothing but complain about how bad the battery was shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

JP Money posted:

Are the batteries in G'Nexs' and such that bad? My razr used to last most of the day with pretty steady use but I just rooted it recently and put the eclipse GB rom on and bought SetCPU and now it's still at 20% after being on from 7AM to midnight with music listening and such all day.

Battery life has dramatically improved since upgrading to 4.0.4. My stock battery lasts about 17 hours on a full charge with 3g. I'm sure the LTE radio uses more juice, though, so take that into consideration. I've seen third-party batteries (NFC) about double that of the stock battery, but it almost doubles the phone's thickness as well.

All in all, the Gnex is the best phone I've ever had the pleasure of using. I haven't put a screen protector on and the screen only has a few tiny surface scratches. My only complaint with the phone is that I have to set it face down if I want to use the alarm because the speaker gets blocked and the volume is greatly diminished.

• Locked thread